• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

purg3

slept with Malkin
CounterSeal said:
Same here, and now that I re-enter it, it just tells me that the code is invalid.

Yeah it's weird because it's in my download history, but still gets an error if i try to redownload. The map pack downloaded fine though.

NVM-it worked after downloading the maps

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
if anyone in this thread has an extra L4D code for the 360 I can trade you for a map pack/golden gun code. I got an extra one in my limited edition package. so all you standards think about it :)

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Ok, I beat Gears 1 again so I'm ready to go. I forgot how much of a bitch Raam is.

Having come from Gears 1.. I can say Gears 2 looks MUCH MUCH better.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Gary Whitta said:
Anyone else having trouble getting connected to an online Horde game?

Nope. And here's a Horde photomode shot. :D

r9n62a.jpg

LowParry

Can't seem to get any matchmaking to work. Got one Horde game going and that was it. Hrm. Suppose I'll have to check a few things with my connection. Can't create my own co-op game.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Penguin said:
One of the reasons, I stopped playing with him...
We will have our revenge :D

che said:
Nope. And here's a Horde photomode shot.

Jesus Christ that is ugly. Why didn't Epic call you guys up and, I dunno, ask "how the hell do we do a proper photo mode like Forza 2?"

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Didn't post in a while since my Campaign run was interrupted by friends inviting me to play, but yes - new chapter, and once again, Epic raised my wow-meter, which actually broke some chapters ago - trying so hard not to hint or spoil things to others, but hot damn Epic knows how to make a friggin' blockbuster - and it just keeps topping all of the other stuff I mention...

And I gotta say that the campaign is pretty damn long, even with all of these action set-pieces in the game - by my rough calculations, it'll be probably 12 hours when I beat the Campaign, including taking my time and admiring the sharp textures and gorgeous scenery...

After all of the glorious Campaign mode I was playing today, I was begged and pleaded to play MP with a full room of friends (too much actually since a few of us were still left out)...

What a blast the game is online I swear...

I just checked and saw that I'm ranked #25 in the world for kills in Private Matches, which is pretty nice... haven't played a single Public Match yet since I'm waiting till I beat Campaign Mode first...

epmode

Has anyone tried the alternate control scheme? It's a little confusing at first but there's no way your dude will ever dodge when you meant to get into cover.

Problem is, I don't think it's possible to do any of the unique executions when you're using the alternate config. The X button will ALWAYS dodge, even if you're standing right on top of a downed enemy.

Am I missing something?

my only complaint about this game is the fucking long ass time it takes when you're in matchmaking to get to a party of 5. i mean what the fuck

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Through Act I, middle of act 2. Superb variety, balance, graphics, everything. Gears is back :)

chespace

RSTEIN said:
We will have our revenge :D

Jesus Christ that is ugly. Why didn't Epic call you guys up and, I dunno, ask "how the hell do we do a proper photo mode like Forza 2?"

Heh, I dunno, I think GoW2 photomode will take some true photography skills and a lot of capturing the moment luck/finesse. You aren't taking pictures with the luxury of a replay so everything has to happen in real-time and you gotta be quick.

It's like Pokemon Snap with space marines.

TheDiabolical

I didn't read my own avatar and now everyone knows I'm not too bright. :(
the campaign is pretty buggy.

the online setup takes waaaaay to long to get a match going.

still love the game though

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Me and a friend started playing around 10 o clock, now it's 3 AM and we finally quit for tonight, what a sitting. Made it halfway through act 3 or so, playing on hardcore. Game is incredible. Only complaint so far is that the vehicle section went on for waaay too long, or I was just getting tired. Is Hardcore easier than Gears 1? Seems like it, we're plowing through the game at a good pace

LordK

a Master Ninja said:
Dammit, barely 5 minutes in and I hit a game ending glitch. I was going through the hospital with Dom and the new, tattooed guy. They run ahead and stand in a doorway waiting for me to approach so the next sequence will start. I run up to them, the automatic door slams behind me, but they don't react. I remain trapped between the locked door behind me and those two idiots frozen in the doorway. Had to quit.
11tvmec.jpg

I got stuck on a fence that you have to chainsaw. I chainsawed it and Marcus just got stuck in place. I had to quit. This happened a bunch Gears 1 where I'd get stuck in place for no fucking reason.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
copybeaver said:
I got stuck on a fence that you have to chainsaw. I chainsawed it and Marcus just got stuck in place. I had to quit. This happened a bunch Gears 1 where I'd get stuck in place for no fucking reason.

Exact same thing happened on my co-op game! My friend couldn't move anymore, we had to restart too. Good thing I'll never have to sit through that tutorial again.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
so just beat it and am playing online and don't know what mode I should play. Been playing the elimination playlist but just some teammates don't talk or just run out there not using cover. any suggestions or anyone want to play just PM me your gamertag and I will invite ya.

gray_fox224

Not a Jellyfish said:
so just beat it and am playing online and don't know what mode I should play. Been playing the elimination playlist but just some teammates don't talk or just run out there not using cover. any suggestions or anyone want to play just PM me your gamertag and I will invite ya.
pm'd

Nemesis_

Nemesis556 said:
Hmm, I've entered my code for the gold lancer and it worked, but the download hangs at 1% and then cancels itself, giving me Error #80070570 and I can't even download the Lancer at all.

Then, I try a gold hammerburst code that I have (I've got a second one that I tried too) and neither of them are coming up as valid?

Any ideas guys?
Quoted again for emphasis >_>

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The game is a little glitchy.
But damn, it sure is fun.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wizman23 said:
Through 2 acts...GOTY so far.

Mt favorite line "Thats 5 Motherfuckers"!:lol
Yeah, that line worked so well in our game.

We were both sniping and it hit on the same beat every time.

It almost seemed scripted.

Nemesis_

Okay, so now I can't even load up my game and I sure as hell can't be bothered starting again.

I get to the save slot part and I choose my game, the game makes the acknolwedgment sound but nothing happens. I can start a new campaign, however.

How, on a fairly big title like this one, does shit like this get through QA?

S1kkZ

warning, heavy spoiler (really, dont read it unless you finished the game):

last chance!
wow, the maria segment was really well done. i wasnt crying, but i was a little shocked. also tai's dead was really well done, i didnt expect that they get so "serious". i really expected them to drop the ball on the "emotional stuff", but it worked pretty well (for me)

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Played some horde with a few buds... mode is HAAARRRD with less than 5 peeps. Granted the three of us were pretty rusty, and it's the first thing we played when firing up the game, but we couldn't make it past wave ~7 on Normal difficulty.

Seems like Horde was tuned for groups of 5, and with 1-3 you're just overwhelmed.

FrankT

Nemesis556 said:
Okay, so now I can't even load up my game and I sure as hell can't be bothered starting again.

I get to the save slot part and I choose my game, the game makes the acknolwedgment sound but nothing happens. I can start a new campaign, however.

How, on a fairly big title like this one, does shit like this get through QA?

Had that happen a bit earlier so I just restarted the game and worked. Weird bug indeed.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Is there some way to turn off that flame effect? It isn't a huge deal but it seems out of place.

Oh, and sorry to some of the people who invited me to a game. I didn't join any because I'm still not ready to get killed. :p

alterno69

Banned
S1kkZ said:
warning, heavy spoiler (really, dont read it unless you finished the game):

last chance!
wow, the maria segment was really well done. i wasnt crying, but i was a little shocked. also tai's dead was really well done, i didnt expect that they get so "serious". i really expected them to drop the ball on the "emotional stuff", but it worked pretty well (for me)

Fuck yes that part of Act 4 is crazy

That Maria part was FUCKING INSANELY SICK, i did shead a tear lol, it's on my top 3 most memorable gaming moments this gen.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Game has personality. It has chutzpah. It has moxy. It has verve.

I laughed at, "That's five, motherfuckers!"

I'm surprised there are still split-up/1 person die bits in each level. Played coop with my friend for 3 straight hours and LOVED IT but it ended on a split-up part where we failed five or six times and it really frustrated us.

Also we had a glitch where he lost his ability to use the face buttons and we had to restart.

Darunia said:
Me and a friend started playing around 10 o clock, now it's 3 AM and we finally quit for tonight, what a sitting. Made it halfway through act 3 or so, playing on hardcore. Game is incredible. Only complaint so far is that the vehicle section went on for waaay too long, or I was just getting tired. Is Hardcore easier than Gears 1? Seems like it, we're plowing through the game at a good pace

yes, I agree, it's easier. Also, now that your teammates can help you up, it's a much more fluid and enjoyable campaign.

edit: The Dom Emo angle is ridiculous. It's like the definition of heavy-handed, hamfisted poopy dialog. When he talks it's like ohhhh gooooood

a Master Ninja said:
Dammit, barely 5 minutes in and I hit a game ending glitch. I was going through the hospital with Dom and the new, tattooed guy. They run ahead and stand in a doorway waiting for me to approach so the next sequence will start. I run up to them, the automatic door slams behind me, but they don't react. I remain trapped between the locked door behind me and those two idiots frozen in the doorway. Had to quit.
11tvmec.jpg

Marcus got stuck on the very first piece of cover you need to vault over. He just would not move so I reloaded the checkpoint. Bad first impression. No ability to change visual styles, and justa different overall feel, are making me not enjoy this as much as the first Gears. Maybe I just need to put in more time, but I am kinda let down. I went to the midnight launch and played all night, and the game is good, just not what i was hoping for. Some parts do shine through, though.

Multiplayer is good, but the shotty feels a little too slow. I am not going to give up on the game because I love the first Gears so much. That part where you drive over the ice fucking sucked hard. Simply not fun.

Oh, and I think GTA IV is the nest in the series, so I am not a game hater by any means.

harSon

Banned
I ran into a bug. I was player 2 in a co op online with a friend, we were in the beginning of the cave section and I was unable to use the A button. No running, diving, or clinging to wall. Had to exit our session and resume for it to come back. Anyone else experience this?

chespace

Core407 said:
Talk about some sharp shoulders.

I know. Sharp shoulders always ruin shooters for me.

Especially when they're not on PS3.

And yes, I've also hit that face button bug, except for me it happened in the UI menu before I started the game. I was trying to load my save game and the A button wouldn't work -- AT ALL. I had to restart the game. It was the only time I hit the bug but it kinda freaked me out for a sec. I thought I lost the save game. :)

burgerdog

Just got to act 2 and I can't believe the game is this good. I thought Fallout 3 was going to be my goty, but if gear keeps getting better and better it's going to be a no-brainer. I simply can't believe how good it is, I expected it to be on par with gears, if not a little worse, but it ended being BETTER? Fucking Epic :D

harSon

Banned
chespace said:

And yes, I've also hit that face button bug, except for me it happened in the UI menu before I started the game. I was trying to load my save game and the A button wouldn't work -- AT ALL. I had to restart the game. It was the only time I hit the bug but it kinda freaked me out for a sec. I thought I lost the save game. :)

I thought my controller was broken until I switched controllers and had the same exact problem :p

h3ro

chespace said:

Defender of the Microsoft realm ladies and gents... Don't worry Dude Huge, the Forza team has got yo' back!

A problem I ran into all the time in Gears 1 was not being able to switch weapons. It would last for like five minutes and then would go back to normal after a checkpoint or arbitrary time period, it would suck if it hit when I used grenades... :lol

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
harSon said:
I ran into a bug. I was player 2 in a co op online with a friend, we were in the beginning of the cave section and I was unable to use the A button. No running, diving, or clinging to wall. Had to exit our session and resume for it to come back. Anyone else experience this?
When you have to assist alpha squad in the cave section.
One guy got stuck in a rock across the ravine when you snipe them.
We ran around for like 20 minutes trying to figure out to do because the next session hadn't triggered. :lol

Oh it was horrible, we finally realized what it was and had to reload the checkpoint.

Top Bottom