• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Forgive me for doubting our Epic overlords. This game delivers hardcore style.

I, for one, enjoyed the hell out of the rig section as well as everything following it. I'm taking a quick dinner break and then it's back in for me. Outstanding game. It's like they constantly shift from one f*cking awesome setpiece to another. It just doesn't stop.

zewone

rjcc said:
every time I tried, dom just ran into cover, I couldn't figure out if I was standing in the wrong place or what.
They have to be down, but not dead.

It's also much easier to do if you stand still above their body. If you're moving, it will usually cause you to roll.

It' very effective online. <3 my meat shields.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
zewone said:
There is no part of the campaign that "sucks".
For me the begining was the worst part. Was slow like the slow sections in Gears 1. After you leave the city it gets realy good. This is definitely my fav 360 title now. Really good and I wasn't high on the first one too.

zewone said:
They have to be down, but not dead.

It's also much easier to do if you stand still above their body. If you're moving, it will usually cause you to roll.

It' very effective online. <3 my meat shields.

You have to wait for the prompt to pop up otherwise yeah you will do a roll and screw things up.

Hey guys, I was downloading my Golden Lancer code and for some reason it started to download and then it didn't work, What happened?

HoTHiTTeR

Shadowlink123 said:
Hey guys, I was downloading my Golden Lancer code and for some reason it started to download and then it didn't work, What happened?

There's a couple posts from me about this earlier in the thread. There are multiple threads about this on Epic's forums as well as Xbox.com's. I tried mine around 11am this morning and it finally worked.

Dirtbag

So how long is this 2 level demo in comparison to the full campaign?

Was that a complete campain? of which there are 5 total?
Was any of it cut?

And its awesome BTW.

HoTHiTTeR said:
There's a couple posts from me about this earlier in the thread. There are multiple threads about this on Epic's forums as well as Xbox.com's. I tried mine around 11am this morning and it finally worked.
I guess I'll just keep on trying until it gets in, thanks for the answer :D

Edit: @HoTHiTTeR: Did it say your code was invalid too?

Got up to Act 2/Chapter 2 (Denizens or something) calling it a night now;

-I'm just waiting for Carmine to get sniped down at the moment, I feel like its building up to it in a slapstick style. Its like watching some Laurel and Hardy or something; the ladder has been placed, the tin of paint is perched precariously on the ledge, all we are waiting for is Carmine to say "We've done it!" and then listen out for a shot echoing through the caves... :p

-The undergroud caves are gorgeous, I wasn't expecting them to contain so much detail. Really does shit all over the underground scenes in the first one.

-I really do care about the characters, I hope that Dizzy and Tai are alright on the surface. I'm also aching to see Baird and Dom back by my side.

-Headshots are just sooooooooo satisfying. The splat, the blood, the humorous quip... I really could do that all day long.

-If I was going to criticise I'd say that they are spoon feeding us Dom's angst a little too much, but I guess they need to make up for the dramatic tone that they didn't give us in the first one.

Enjoying it so far, really liking the collectibles too. Good stuff Epic, good stuff.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
Shadowlink123 said:
I guess I'll just keep on trying until it gets in, thanks for the answer :D

Edit: @HoTHiTTeR: Did it say your code was invalid too?
If you've put the code in once already and it didn't work go to the marketplace blade>account management>download history, it'll be there and you can just do the download over again

Nozdeuce said:
If you've put the code in once already and it didn't work go to the marketplace blade>account management>download history, it'll be there and you can just do the download over again
oh ok, i'll just try that until it works, Thanks.

Teknoman

Wow.
an entire city just fell that far underground.
Also this new Locust higher up guy seems more psychotic than Raam was. At least Raam seemed like a standard general guy for the enemies. This guy is just bloodthirsty.

Oh and werent those Adult Krill flying around
underground?

I like these new hidden items more than cog tags. Anything thats like a note or document or something that tells more about the universe of the game is cool in my book. Liked that in Resident Evil, Silent Hill, and Resistance.

Aladuf

Banned
I've seriously been playing this game for about 10 straight hours today (no classes or work ftw), it's so fucking Epic. Every part/mode of the game is pure greatness. It's about time to hit up Horde for some crazy shit right now.

jlai

So I rented the game from GameFly instead of buying it... and now I realize I miss out on the Flashback free DLC. Sadface. Was looking forward to that too

Relix said:
Yup. Freaking amazing. Much better than Halo 3's flood which i found quite good looking.

Really, I didn't... I thought it was very hard/plastic looking. Non-Organic, opposed to Gears 2's organic fleshy awesomeness.

sionyboy said:
Enjoying it so far, really liking the collectibles too. Good stuff Epic, good stuff.

Agreed with everything. Besides a little too much Dom, the storytelling is ACTUALLY good. Not just a bunch of hype.

Kibbles

Frillen said:
OMG! I was absolutely blown away by the graphics
inside the giant worm
. Best graphics I've ever seen.

I'm not too far into the game yet, but so far yeah it looks amazing in HD, especially towards the end of that chapter... wow.

Shoogoo

Aladuf said:
I've seriously been playing this game for about 10 straight hours today (no classes or work ftw), it's so fucking Epic. Every part/mode of the game is pure greatness. It's about time to hit up Horde for some crazy shit right now.

Do you think there would be much lag between US and EU players?

Spruchy

If anyone not mentally challenged wants to play lemme know because I just played 3 back to back games with some of the dumbest motherfuckers I have ever met.

Aladuf

Banned
Shoogoo said:
Do you think there would be much lag between US and EU players?
I played a match with at least 3 people from Greece earlier today and I'm in the US and there was only slight bullet lag.. nothing compared to what it would be in Gears 1.

Facism

Massive issue with Guest play on GoW2.

Can't join Public games with a guest, can only do Private, Local or Sys Link.

What the hell. Major step back from GoW1 unless i'm missing something obvious. Was so looking forward to playing this with my brother without having to wait 40 minutes to round enough people off my FL to join in and make up numbers.

Also, came across my first invincible player today. Didn't die once during the game, withstood 3 guys unloaded Lancer clips into him and shotgunned us all to hell.

Teknoman

Spruchy said:
If anyone not mentally challenged wants to play lemme know because I just played 3 back to back games with some of the dumbest motherfuckers I have ever met.
:lol I was about to join you but I gotta get to a good checkpoint after
Illan(?) city
fell. Not sure why I cant remember the name...especially since I just saw the scene.

Facism said:
Massive issue with Guest play on GoW2.

Can't join Public games with a guest, can only do Private, Local or Sys Link.

What the hell. Major step back from GoW1 unless i'm missing something obvious. Was so looking forward to playing this with my brother without having to wait 40 minutes to round enough people off my FL to join in and make up numbers.

Also, came across my first invincible player today. Didn't die once during the game, withstood 3 guys unloaded Lancer clips into him and shotgunned us all to hell.

Check the manual yet on the guest issue? Might be something in there, though i'm not sure.

Also someone earlier was lag cheating somehow. Our entire team was suffering from extreme lag, yet we could see him line up sniper head shots, and move around like normal.

GaryD

The game is awesome. Spent 8hours straight with 2 mates last night playing campaign on normal. Got up to the last act and was enjoying it a lot. Got really lost in the caves at one stage. Graphics weren't fantastic in split screen but I remember the same thing in the 1st, played the whole campaign in split screen, then when I played it out of split screen it was really nice. Shooting feels great and satisfying. The achievement bar tracker works really well too, it gives you a good heads up on what you should be doing for the points. Cover didn't seem as "sticky" as in the 1st which is nice. The new weapons are a cool change too. The main standard the enemy drops (think its the hammerburst) is actually a lot more useable than the one they all dropped in the 1st. Some of the stages seem to have multiple ways around too which might be better for next time we play. I kind of preffered the cog takes as collectables, but whatever. I think I have about 20 in my first play through so far, so they're not too hard to find.

Don't really agree about people saying the scope was going to be bigger. Yes you get the feeling that there's other people involved in this, but outside of your team not a whole lot happens. Story is a bit cheesy especially in one point.

I'm giving it 5/5

painey

has anyone got to level 50 of horde? How long did it take, it seems just getting to level 10 is an achievement itself! Horde is so fucking good, I love how everyone plays as a team, no fucking around or insults its just pure fun.

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Well been playing this game for the past couple hours, holy shit it is really fun. Now I'm swamped with games I have to play and no extra time anymore.

SpokkX

Seth C said:
Glad you think so, but I thought the entire rig section fucking sucked. Hardcore. Shouldn't be in the game levels of SUCK. Good since then though.

Yes that section most certainly sucked. Didn´t enjoy it one bit. Linear and plays the same boring way every time.. oh and it looks quite bad graphically

JB1981

HORDE is the sickest mode ever. The few multiplayer games I did play were lagfests - shotgun lag out the ass and matchmaking was very slow to find other players. I ended up being matched up with people from Japan and Spain, so I'm sure that had a lot to do with it.

Horde Wave 17. Seriously the best co-op experience I've ever had.

Raziel

havent kept up with this game much? is that predator lookalike enemy from the trailers in the SP? is he a boss or a recurring enemy?

also anyone have a pic?

Gav

Just finished a 7 hour co-op session. That has absolutely flown by.
I cant remember the last time i had a session that long on a game. Awesome.

Guled

Is there a way to redeem the codes that came with the game online, it takes a long time putting it in on the dashboard

painey said:
has anyone got to level 50 of horde? How long did it take, it seems just getting to level 10 is an achievement itself! Horde is so fucking good, I love how everyone plays as a team, no fucking around or insults its just pure fun.

Managed to make it to wave 26 the first time i played.

Nemesis_

Hmm, I've entered my code for the gold lancer and it worked, but the download hangs at 1% and then cancels itself, giving me Error #80070570 and I can't even download the Lancer at all.

Then, I try a gold hammerburst code that I have (I've got a second one that I tried too) and neither of them are coming up as valid?

Any ideas guys?

bill0527

Is anyone keeping a tally of gamertags from this thread?

I had the idea to go through it and start adding people...until I saw it was 58 pages :/

Dammit, barely 5 minutes in and I hit a game ending glitch. I was going through the hospital with Dom and the new, tattooed guy. They run ahead and stand in a doorway waiting for me to approach so the next sequence will start. I run up to them, the automatic door slams behind me, but they don't react. I remain trapped between the locked door behind me and those two idiots frozen in the doorway. Had to quit.
11tvmec.jpg

SupahBlah

Banned
Teknoman said:
Oh and werent those Adult Krill flying around
underground?

In one of the collectibles.
It mentions that the kryll where wiped out by the lightmass bomb

Does anyone have the list of the executions needed for "Kick em when they're down"

I don't know which one's I'm missing other than the ink grenade which never seems to kill anyone when tagged.

NekoFever

GaryD said:
Does horde mode save your game as you go through? Or do you need to start from level 1 every time?
You can choose to start from any wave that you've previously reached.

I played a couple of hours of multiplayer with nine friends and Submission - assuming that's the one with the AI-controlled 'flag' - is so much fun. Seeing this skinny old man straddling a huge Locust and beating its face to a pulp is a strange sight to say the least, and this is the first time I've ever seen a CTF mode where the player with the most kills at the end of the round was the fucking flag :lol

ManiacMX

Neo Member
a Master Ninja said:
Dammit, barely 5 minutes in and I hit a game ending glitch. I was going through the hospital with Dom and the new, tattooed guy. They run ahead and stand in a doorway waiting for me to approach so the next sequence will start. I run up to them, the automatic door slams behind me, but they don't react. I remain trapped between the locked door behind me and those two idiots frozen in the doorway. Had to quit.
11tvmec.jpg
The same thing happened to me to, I just kept trying to get through and it eventually worked.

Top Bottom