• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Aladuf

Banned
DubloSeven said:
So is the matchmaking system good?
It's fine if you have a party of 5 people going into matchmaking, it'll take no time to find 5 opponents. Otherwise it can be pretty slow.

Rikyfree said:
I cant stand the online in GOW, too much bullet lag.
I'm not seeing it. Matches have been amazingly lagless for me.

Halvie

Banned
Rikyfree said:
I cant stand the online in GOW, too much bullet lag. So I stick to bots for now. But I do like the texture loading in the game this time around, much improved to make it look like its out of focus, then it kinda meshes into the full texture.

They didn't fix the bullet lag?

Merguson

Banned
Just finished the campaign... some serious weird stuff going on. I tried offline with bots and they actually are okay, their difficulty is normal and really tough situations pop up. Awesome addition. I guess the only thing I really regret about not having online is Horde mode, I would play that almost exclusively.... like I did with Terrorist Hunt with Rainbow Six.

Rikyfree

Halvie said:
In my experience, no. And I know its not a connection problem on my end when I get almost zero lag on CoD4, Halo3, and other online games Ive rented like B:BC on ps3. But hey, it could be a freak occurance and may have just happened those 4 times, but Bullet lag was the main reason I quit GoW1, and if it stays like that, I'm just going to play with bots and maybe horde mode unless they get their netcode crap together.

@Aladuf: Maybe it was a weird occurance. I should try again, but if I get it again, I'll stick by my statement lol.

Merguson

Banned
Francinium said:
Are you finding this game harder or easier than the first one? Trying to decide what difficulty to play it on.

I haven't played Gears of War 1 in a very long time so I don't really remember the controls.... I went causal and that was a tad wee challenging. :lol

unomas

Banned
Hunter D said:
I thought people said the shotty has seen a big nerf? It's been made less effective, but it is still good.

Not as good as the chainsaw, they didn't need to nerf it at all. They should nerf the melee if anything. I've seen guys take a shotty blast a foot away in the back and not get shredded to nothing online a few hours ago. That shouldn't be happening, but that melee....that will hurt more than a shotgun blast a foot away. Makes no sense.

mintylurb

Wooh, I'm about midway through Act 2 and I must say the game is very enjoyable. Good graphics, fun gameplay and plenty of action make this my goty. Only thing that bugs me is how the game stutters a bit when it's loading textures.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
just got to the caves, and it feels kind of overscripted to this point? there's all this crazy large-scale shit happening, none of which is quite as exciting as it looks, and it doesn't really settle down and give you the weighty battles from cover that made the first game so awesome. well, there's a lot of game to come, and the caves look zomg

mittelos

I'm having the same feelings experiencing Gears 2 that I did with the first- blown away by both the visuals and gameplay. I didn't really expect that, at least not to this degree. So much polish all the way around from Gears 1. Gunplay is just so damn satisfyng.

ampere

I entered the code for the map pack and it started downloading and then froze. I decided to cancel it and restart it, but after cancelling I couldn't find an option to restart. When I tried to enter the code again, it said it was invalid T_T
Anyone know a way to start the download again?

Edit: Problem solved. Just took a trip to account management, download history.

angelfly

Ok GAF after watching The 1UP Show I'm re-evaluating picking this game up. With the first game I fell into the hype but was really disappointed. I didn't think it was a bad game but I just thought it got really repetitive and eventually I was just bored and didn't want to play anymore. Will I get the same feeling this time around?

rareside

Anyone wanna start a co-op session with me? Just picked up the game, and all my real life friends were punks and are already waaaaaaay ahead of me.

My gamertag is rareside

Looking to start from the beginning in the next 15-20 minutes.
Lemme know.

Just completed my first play through. Played Co-Op on Hardcore with my roommate. Quite a few questions that are story related...And seriously surprised to see they didn't include a single Beserker, but Reavers aplenty. Definitely enjoyed it though. Definitely playing a ton tomorrow.

Sectus

Halvie said:
They did. You don't have to aim ahead of enemies based on your ping anymore, you can always aim direclty at any foe and it'll hit.

Now then, enemies won't die instantly as you fire. It seems the client will wait for the server to tell enemies die, but that delay is so tiny and insignificant. It's also inevitable, you can't make sure everything happens at the same time instantly for all players, there's this thing called latency.

Darkman M

IronicallyTwisted said:
Don't know why I decided to play on Hardcore by myself, getting pretty frustrating.

Best way to play it, victory is so much more satisfying when you have to work for it, not to mention your getting more playtime out of the campaign mode that way.

tenchir

Went back to bestbuy after work to pick up the RC tank and surprise surprise, they ran out. They didn't even offer me a giftcard for their fuckup.

Dirtbag

No quick mute function?
No team and party chat?

FAIL

How hard are these features to build into your game, honestly?
They make a world of difference.

Finished my first playthrough today. Enjoyed it for the most part. Had some really fun moments in there. The whole "pull this switch for cover" mechanic got lame, real quick. That said, I'll probably still be playing through this at least two more times.

just got the game,only about 30 mins in, but if anyone wants to play add me'scottlarock904' btw the graphics is awesome!

edit: I downloaded NXE when I wasn't supposed to, so I won't be online until the 19th.

Sectus

angelfly said:
Ok GAF after watching The 1UP Show I'm re-evaluating picking this game up. With the first game I fell into the hype but was really disappointed. I didn't think it was a bad game but I just thought it got really repetitive and eventually I was just bored and didn't want to play anymore. Will I get the same feeling this time around?
The game is VERY similar to the original. I've only played one act of the singleplayer campaign and if it weren't for the coop I'd honeslty say it's a very boring experience.

Multiplayer is like the original just with less shotgun and sniper whoring and better netcode.

Horde mode is the one thing I think makes the game worth it. If you like modes like Bloody Palace in DMC4 or Terrorist Hunt in Rainbox Six you should enjoy horde mode.

bill0527

Francinium said:
Are you finding this game harder or easier than the first one? Trying to decide what difficulty to play it on.

I'm playing it on normal, but I should have started on Hardcore.

I've only died once and that was
when I get stomped by the digestive tract of the big worm

Chiggs

Gold Member
I've been playing the game with a friend for a couple of hours and feel that it's a really exceptional experience. Excellent set pieces and impressive visuals...even for a Crysis fanboy like me. The cave level in particular was jaw-dropping.

whitehawk

Banned
Honestly, why can't I talk to people on the other team inbetween matches? It makes no sense.

Also the shotgun is not powerful enough. I agree it was too powerful before, but now it really is like a nerfgun.

Chainsawing needs to be toned down. Someone was coming towards me with a shotgun, I shot him, and no stun at all, he just sawed me.

Fun game, but a lot of messed up things.

ultron87

So I'm somewhere in Act 3 and I must admit I am really really impressed by this game so far. The action and combat is obviously glorious, but I've been surprised at some of the simply unexpected things that the game has thrown at us during this co-op section.
I really was not expected a platformerish dodge the giant crushing pistons level or the co-op carry the bomb while fending off wretches section. Even the section with all the security turrets was really fun since you had to strategically dodge around them and could also use them to deal with enemies. Only problem so far was that the tank section went on a bit too long. Though your headlight coming back on to see three corpsers about to destroy you was pretty entertaining.

soco

this game does some weird delayed shadow rendering that kinda fucks with my eyes.

you can see shadow fade in for tons of games, but here it's in places that might've been baked in, but the shadows feel like they're creeping in here, especially as you can catch them when you turn your head and such.

mandiller

I just finished the campaign. Wow. The leap from Gears 1 to Gears 2 is amazing. The story campaign was miles better. Epic Games have truly earned their company name, 'Epic' is the only way to describe the campaign. There were so many memorable moments and nearly all of it just worked perfectly. There were one of two shitty frustrating moments, but apart from that...

The bit where
you go inside the riftworm was awesome, cutting the arteries to the hearts. Plus the Brumak and Reaver parts. The scale of this game is huge!

Darklord

Banned
The scale is MUCH better this time. I felt the first game was pretty average how it was some huge war yet only 7-8 enemies were on screen at once. I've only done 2 levels and there are things flying everywhere!

I love it. Cliffy may be an arrogant idiot sometimes but by god he can make a game.

Edit: When it Gears 2 meant to be set? It seems a fair jump from Gears 1.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow, I got invited do a horde match and ended up doing waves 42-50 on normal without playing horde before, that was incredible.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Aladuf said:
You just press B, it's only a different look for the old melee execution in Gears 1.

Oh, do you know what weapons have a unique execution then? The OP lists a few and the Gnasher has Golf Club for Y which wasn't right, I'm missing one or two I think.

Aladuf

Banned
Papercuts said:
Oh, do you know what weapons have a unique execution then? The OP lists a few and the Gnasher has Golf Club for Y which wasn't right, I'm missing one or two I think.
Yeah, you're right some of the executions in the OP are wrong, I've just been too lazy (busy playing Gears) to fix them. :p

The manual might tell you exactly what weapons have the specific execution, otherwise just hit Y with every weapon when you have someone down and you'll either get a special execution or the 1-2-3 punch.

Seth C

drohne said:
just got to the caves, and it feels kind of overscripted to this point? there's all this crazy large-scale shit happening, none of which is quite as exciting as it looks, and it doesn't really settle down and give you the weighty battles from cover that made the first game so awesome. well, there's a lot of game to come, and the caves look zomg

So far that has been my impression as well. I think I'm up to about Act 4 now. You just get drawn away from the fights...a lot. When it is a "big fight" moment and you are actually part of it, you are riding along a path on a rig or something like that.

whitehawk said:
Honestly, why can't I talk to people on the other team inbetween matches? It makes no sense.

Also the shotgun is not powerful enough. I agree it was too powerful before, but now it really is like a nerfgun.

Chainsawing needs to be toned down. Someone was coming towards me with a shotgun, I shot him, and no stun at all, he just sawed me.

Fun game, but a lot of messed up things.

And that sounds like the "bullet lag" from the first Gears of War. Basically, if you are playing against the host he always had an advantage. You would see your shotgun blast but it wouldn't have happened on his screen yet, so his chainsaw would still be able to initiate and you'd be dead.

Wario64 said:
The battle against the hyrda...jesus christ.
Hehe, that whole sequence was awesome.

Horsey <3

Gears 2 really adds in some interesting gameplay twists once you get to the
lake with the RE:4 like water monster
and it doesn't stop from there.

Shoogoo

Aladuf said:
I played a match with at least 3 people from Greece earlier today and I'm in the US and there was only slight bullet lag.. nothing compared to what it would be in Gears 1.

Ok, where do I sign up? (gt: shoogoo) :) I'm from Belgium which is closer to the US than Greece, too. I have a hard time understanding english, scottish and irish people, but I think american english will be fine.

Dirtbag

Horde mode is 10x better then I thought it would be. Next to the (high points) of the campaign, its' absolutely aces and easily the best thing in Gears 2.

I can't wait to try out different maps with it. We had a blast playing horde on Pavilion making a little fort we referred to as the Alamo.. and would fall back into when things got thick.

After playing about 3 hours of straight horde mode, we attempted to play some multiplayer in execution playlist, and the fun was promptly sucked out of the night. It's not that the gameplay is bad, but it just doesn't offer the same level of fun that horde mode does.

Horde mode made me realize how much fun a class based multiplayer setup would be. They'd have to add some more units on the COG side, to match boomers and grinders, but I think they could do it.

Penguin

Aladuf said:
Yeah, you're right some of the executions in the OP are wrong, I've just been too lazy (busy playing Gears) to fix them. :p

The manual might tell you exactly what weapons have the specific execution, otherwise just hit Y with every weapon when you have someone down and you'll either get a special execution or the 1-2-3 punch.
I like the punch but think I discovered a dark side to a friend when everytime I turned around they were punching someone out.

Not that I'm surprised, but really solid game from what I played which is something like 4 hrs. I can see Horde being something my friends and I come back to every now and then.

Shoogoo

Trax416 said:
question about something towards the end of the game.

The boss you fight when the queen walks off. The guy with the double ended chainsaws. How exactly do you kill him? Do I shoot them when he is running behind the pillers, or is there something I missed?

just win the chainsaw duel, thrice

Aladuf

Banned
Horde is seriously awesome, after I completed a few rounds my brain started working on figuring out the best possible strategies for getting through the rounds. Soon thereafter I was telling everyone to plant their grenades and take any boomshields, etc. :lol

It was fucking great when I was playing KOTH on Pavilion earlier, the whole other team was holding the hill and I chucked in one grenade and I wiped out all 5 people with it. So awesome.

Top Bottom