• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Best game ever confirmed.

Been going through campaign with my friend on co-op, fucking fantastic. On Act 4, plan to finish it tonight.

I've finally gotten 100% used to Gears 2 gameplay vs Gears (online), and it's fucking amazing. I don't know about this " TruSkill" bullshit because I'm usually leading the game in points/kills.

Amazing, Amazing game.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Seth C said:
And that sounds like the "bullet lag" from the first Gears of War. Basically, if you are playing against the host he always had an advantage. You would see your shotgun blast but it wouldn't have happened on his screen yet, so his chainsaw would still be able to initiate and you'd be dead.

It is NOT bullet lag - it's just harder to stun the chainsaw now - I have yet to test it properly myself alone, but it might be that you have to hit the chainsaw itself for it to go down right away as I have done it once (when me and a teammate was shooting someone while revving, I had the Gnasher, he was using Lancer) - and when you hit him otherwise in the chest, Stopping Power takes effect and he slows down a bit...

But I must say that I don't feel like it's cheap - most-likely because the zero lag I experience in every match now doesn't give the chainsaw that random vaccuum effect, or that the chainsaw wielder is not invincible once he touches the enemy with the chainsaw - it's practically suicide doing it in the middle of a 2 on 1, so he might as well enjoy the kill for the 1 second he's alive...

CitizenCope said:
As others have said the campaign starts of pretty slow and reallly looks just like the original. After a couple of hours I really didn't think I was going to enjoy this installment. Let me tell you it takes such a change for the better about 90min to 2 hours into the campaign. WOW was I floored by some of these levels. What atmosphere, graphics, music etc...
This game is outstanding!!

Told ya! :D

And going through the thread and reading the before (Act 1) comments to the after (Act 2 and beyond HOLY SHIT!!!!) comments makes me smile, because like I said, I didn't wanna spoil people about what goes down, but I told you guys! :D

And just like how I was right about that, keep in mind that the awesomeness keeps multiplying the further you go because it just.

Keeps.

Getting.

More.

Awesome.

:D

Amir0x

Banned
Man i totally forgot this game was coming out, i checked my mail and it was a nice surprise waiting for me

too many games in backlog, can't...start...another...game...

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Man, awesome game. Never played the first co-op online but I'd love too with this one. My gamertag is ChandosOnline.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Wow, the ticker part of the game is boring as hell. In the first game, I liked the section where you had the glowing wretches who would explode, because the eeriness fit the setting. With the tickers, it's more of a chore then anything.

So far the beginning of the game has been really underwhelming; hopefully that will change soon. Maybe I'm just playing it on too easy of a difficulty.

Spoo

ICallItFutile said:
So far the beginning of the game has been really underwhelming.

I predict after you give it another hour or two you'll come back here with glowing impressions :D

If you don't, you have no soul.

Agent Ghost

aka MAJIKdR46oN
4.5 hours for level 27?! shiit, im never gunna get to 50. Just did a 55minute session in Security and we got to level 17 but one of our guys dropped out after 2 rounds so it was just the 4 of us. I love how every game you play is just so different, and so much better than the slow, dull 4v4 of the last game. Its non-stop action which is just what it should be.

I think what he means is that while playing for 4.5 hours he made it to level 27, not that it takes 4.5 hours to reach 27. The 4.5 hours must include restarts.

X26

Banned
robot said:
Made it to level 27 on Hoarde after a 4 1/2 hour session. Locking your team inside the center laser area on the Security level is freakin awesome...feels like Night of the Living Dead or something.

Yea it's moments like that that make horde great. When you're all bunkered down together making a stand trying to hold off a bunch of oncoming locust.

ICallItFutile said:
Wow, the ticker part of the game is boring as hell. In the first game, I liked the section where you had the glowing wretches who would explode, because the eeriness fit the setting. With the tickers, it's more of a chore then anything.

So far the beginning of the game has been really underwhelming; hopefully that will change soon. Maybe I'm just playing it on too easy of a difficulty.

Was the same for me. Playing on hardcore, it wasn't until mid-late act 2 that I found it got it legs, prior to that it was actually kinda boring I found.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Dax01 said:
It's a trap! Just finished defending the hospital. The pistol is a lot more useful than it was in the first game.

Haha I take it you were running out of ammo as I was. Active reload with the pistol destroys all, its great.

J2d

Black_Ice said:
I've finally gotten 100% used to Gears 2 gameplay vs Gears (online), and it's fucking amazing.
I'm sad to say I haven't, fucking grenades etc, if they announced that they had dedicated servers/ fixed the lag in gears 1 I'd be playing that.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Draft said:
:lol

This ride on the tanker or whatever is fucking awful.
Your paused your game to say that? Turn your computer on standby or turn off your monitor when you're playing a game man.

Draft

Rez>You said:
Your paused your game to say that? Turn your computer on standby or turn off your monitor when you're playing a game man.
I actually paused it, put the controller down, and walked away from the console, to another room, where my PC is. I am probably about to get up and go turn the Xbox off.

Aladuf

Banned
J2d said:
I'm sad to say I haven't, fucking grenades etc, if they announced that they had dedicated servers/ fixed the lag in gears 1 I'd be playing that.
Damn, really? Gears 1 has been my most played game for the past 2 years and only after playing multiplayer yesterday I've totally gotten used to the new style and the feel to it. I don't want to go back to Gears 1 at all after playing Gears 2 MP, everything just feels so much better this time.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Draft said:
I actually paused it, put the controller down, and walked away from the console, to another room, where my PC is. I am probably about to get up and go turn the Xbox off.
That's actually worse in my opinion, but I'm in no position to judge.

In unrelated news: the opening of Act 5 was one of the most jaw-dropping moments of this whole generation for me. The gameplay wasn't anything extraordinary (don't get be wrong, it was fun, but I digress) but the music, visuals and setting just added up to something outstanding. I can't wait to finish the game tomorrow.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Aladuf said:
Damn, really? Gears 1 has been my most played game for the past 2 years and only after playing multiplayer yesterday I've totally gotten used to the new style and the feel to it. I don't want to go back to Gears 1 at all after playing Gears 2 MP, everything just feels so much better this time.

How so? So far I think I am having trouble timing wise with that shotgun. There are times when I know I put three shots in someone and they just don't go down. :(

so anyone else had this problem.

Played some single player campaign last night. go to play today and I can see my saved game but when I press A nothing happens. If I try and start a new game on a different save slot nothing happens.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
kobashi100 said:
so anyone else had this problem.

Played some single player campaign last night. go to play today and I can see my saved game but when I press A nothing happens. If I try and start a new game on a different save slot nothing happens.
Same thing happened to me. I think it's a caching issue. Have you been playing Fallout 3?

In any case, clear your cache and the whole menu system should run smoother.

To clear it:

Go to the System Blade on the Dashboard
Select Memory
Select your Hard Drive with the "Y" button
Press the following combo: X,X,LB,RB,X,X

This will also erase any patches that you have downloaded, but that shouldn't be an issue, they can be redownloaded.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Draft said:
:lol

This ride on the tanker or whatever is fucking awful.

It really is kinda shitty.

Rez>You said:

What's up with this guy trying to tell others what to do? :lol

Aladuf

Banned
Not a Jellyfish said:
How so? So far I think I am having trouble timing wise with that shotgun. There are times when I know I put three shots in someone and they just don't go down. :(
Shotty can be tricky, I've only tried to use it when I'm close enough for a two-piece and when I do that it seems to work perfectly, otherwise I'm dropping it for whatever power weapon I want (Lancer/HB are seriously crucial). But I can understand if you go into a shotty battle that it might be tricky to get a quick kill without the two-piece. Otherwise, just the whole pacing of the multiplayer just feels awesome to me, I love the ability to use the grenades as proximity mines now, stopping power is so awesome to stop those people who still try to charge you with a shotty head on, and all that other stuff.

J2d

Aladuf said:
Yea I'm not joking, I played a lot of gears, outside of regular bullshit you had to suffer I really prefer it to GoW2. There are some great additions, weapons, using people as a shield and what not but I really prefer pt1 so far. I don't like the feel of the shotgun anymore, stages look meh and if I go the opposing teams side I can bet that there's some fucker sitting there camping with his smoke grenade. I don't like the matchmaking either, I just wanna play the map I want for as many rounds and little time as I want to.
It's not like I'm saying it's a bad game, it's not but I really loved GoW1 and don't feel this one so far.

smik

Match Making has ruined the Gears of War 2 entire experience for me, lobby systems is very poor and im always connecting to bad servers and playing game modes and maps i dont necessaliary want to. 60% of matches ppl are quiting (3-4 players) due to clans,partys,lag,bad losers or modes which was not pick

**EPIC FAIL** no pun intended

EPIC Games forum administrators have been on a banning frenzy with ppl making simple threads of solutions on how to fix the matching with either region coding,status bar or options for private matches to be open for the public

they even banned me forever with no reason as to why for this thread... i have never flamed on this forum ever all called out anyone i just wanted to post about my experience with Gears 2 matching and leave some constructive criticism and i have been very good with ppl on the Gears of War forums.

heres is what i posted..

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=630145

Dear Advid Gears Fans,

I have had the privelage of playing this title very early and i have to say that its everything i wanted it to be and it will not disappoint if you were in love with Gears 1 , but their are some very important and simple issues which need to be addressed and may be potentially game breaking in Gears of War 2 for some.

Im not talking about weapon balancing,Map layouts and shot guns for the matter, all the changing i have seen are genuine and are very well thought out and makes going back to gears Gears 1 very bare bones&bland. I wanted to post about the most apparent problems and divulge into the most important components and issues of Gears 2 that are easily stick out like a sore thumb.

Problem # 1

Matchmaking: With over 60 - 70% of matches played i have experienced at least 1-2 people leave each match early due to various reasons which im going to state below and can easily be addressed (which is highly doubtful, but my hopes are high)

The Most Important thing when playing any title online is having the ability to play in a Good/Fair Connection and due to Inadequate hosting ability's and bad connection issues it will leave players feeling frustrated in Gears 2, The apparent host migrating problems will leave most matches in a bad play state and atm it will/has encourage "most" players to quit early. This may solely ruin the entire experience of playing Public matches on Gears 2, and will leave all of Epics hard undone and left in the shadows.

''MY QUOTE'' "A Game is only as great as the connection you play in no matter how great the gameplay is"

Solution

1)Region Filter Options: This is the single most important feature that should be included either via patch or on launch day

2)Player Matches: with status bars similar to Gears 1 (Why are we going backwarks in Gears 2...)

Problem # 2 Players Preference

With the current lobby system its not entirely easy to play the mode in which you prefer, getting an Exection or Warzone match will be alot harder with the all new favorite respawn modes such as: King of the Hill, Guardian & Annex. these modes will be the pick of the pot most of the time, and a full friends party or clan usually has the say with the majority vote.

it says players choice but really its like putting a ballot slip in an empty box in a empty hall while the party is out having drinks :p

Solution

Search-able Modes: Add options for all search-able Modes Warzone,Execution,Submission,Wingman,King of the Hill, Guardian & Annex

Problem # 3

Individual players being outnumbered with party dominance

I, like many like to roll with my friends online and in doing so you may end up with playing all singled individual team, this can cause problems as most of the time these teams quit and leaves them with all odds STACKED againts them, eg (Clans/Full Party of friends) this will ruin some of the experience for the solo players and encourage them to leave or stop playing completely, also not to mention each individual player may be from another country which makes matters totally worst

Solution

Add a option for Single Indvidual players to play in players choice matches with no party/clans which will cater to those who like to run solo, Simalar to the Mercenary TeamDeathmatch option in CoD

Problem # 4

Early Quitters: The Bad losers or.. Ranking System:
I never quit matches ever. But i do see why ppl will either leave during or at the beggining of public matches, this is mainly due to the Host/Mode/Map not satisfied but the indiviadual player there is an increasing amount of quitters which will happly boot to dashboard to just to quit a match...

rank system: atm it has encouraged ppl to boost and emblem is very inconsistent with player performance ie stats

Also another one which is lame is the Fear of players losing Ranks/KDR & W-L ratio which in other words is STATS (I know its sounds bad but theres a ton of it happening)
I have even seen some professional teams leave early MLG/GB clans (not naming) its the "5th round Myth"

Solution

1)Public Matches: with status bars of
2)Quitters: Down Rank or loss sizable loss of points

Final Thought

I find all these problems can be fixed into 1, either with Player Matches or Region fitlering Options.

Gears of War 2 imho is Technically the best game of all and the multiplayer is a blast and with all the gameplay changes which intially had me worried are ALL gone now, but if you read my top quote you see how it will be spoilt with these most important missing features

thats all, thanks for reading.

NIN90

Okay, I'm thinking about buying an Xbox 360 and one of the main reasons is this game.
I'm kinda confused by the SKUs. Should I go with an Elite or Premium (Pro? This is the same, isn't it?)
I don't think I'll need 120gb (my PS3 60gb isn't even half-full and I don't think I'll install many games) but I think I'd like to use HDMI but I want my surround sound so I'm restricted to the official 50 bucks HDMI-cable. Any suggestions?
So far on my checklist:

360 Elite or Premium
2nd Controller (+ charge kit)
XBL Gold 12months

Did I miss anything?

Aladuf

Banned
dhelfric said:
Okay, I'm thinking about buying an Xbox 360 and one of the main reasons is this game.
I'm kinda confused by the SKUs. Should I go with an Elite or Premium (Pro? This is the same, isn't it?)
I don't think I'll need 120gb (my PS3 60gb isn't even half-full and I don't think I'll install many games) but I think I'd like to use HDMI but I want my surround sound so I'm restricted to the official 50 bucks HDMI-cable. Any suggestions?
So far on my checklist:

360 Elite or Premium
XBL Gold 12months

Did I miss anything?
You'll need a wireless adapter unless you plan up connecting it with an ethernet cable.

DarkJC

dhelfric said:
So far on my checklist:

360 Elite or Premium
XBL Gold 12months

Did I miss anything?

As already said, if you need wireless, you need the wireless adapter. HDD is really up to you but back when I got mine it had a 20, and I eventually opted to get raped and pay for the 120 GB drive because of all the content I was downloading (mainly RB songs). If you can afford to go with the Elite, I'd probably just take the plunge.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Too bad the matchmaking sucks atm but I'm sure they'll fix it, BUT damn horde mode is amazing played for hours with my friends...got to level 47 and it was fucking insane. Had to leave them though cos I had ordered chinese, do you get an achievement for level 50?

Prolly so I'm dumb but damn I was tired and kind of hammered since I took the day off to play the game.

Campaign is spectacular, been playing coop the whole way thru...didnt get too far cos I kept on redoing the beginning since so many of my friends were getting the game. The semi platforming
in the fucking worm was awesome, me and this kid who was playing with me kept on getting crushed by the stomachs and shit

Cant wait for them to patch the matchmaking, come on epic!

Great game from a pacing and technical standpoint.

Not sure how much more of the "tough guy" B movie dialogue I can take.

If this was a movie I would have walked out during the first 5 mintues.

Gameplay is there though, very solid.

If only we could have both. Compelling story with sophisticated dialogue and great gameplay also.

X26 said:
the seriousness in marcus' voice during that part, oh man :lol
Its not anymore ridiculous than everything else in gears.
weedlewalker said:
Not sure how much more of the "tough guy" B movie dialogue I can take.
You should be happy, the dialog when they are trying to be serious is extremely jarring and out of place.

J2d

smik said:
EPIC Games forum administrators have been on a banning frenzy with ppl making simple threads of solutions on how to fix the matching with either region coding,status bar or options for private matches to be open for the public
That sound horrible.

ChrisGoldstein said:
Too bad the matchmaking sucks atm but I'm sure they'll fix it, BUT damn horde mode is amazing played for hours with my friends...got to level 47 and it was fucking insane. Had to leave them though cos I had ordered chinese, do you get an achievement for level 50?
You got to level 47?

Good God.

Bullet lag/Host Advantage is complete bullshit this time. Don't ever let anyone get away with that claim from now on. Cliff said in a recent interview that hosting is now split between 3 people in each game, and each of them hosts a different part of the game's code. I had a game last night with 24 kills and 4 deaths and they were crying "host! host!" about it but that's total crap.

Anyway, game is awesome. I did Horde mode with 4 friends last night and did all 50 stages in one 4 hour sitting. It was one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. We did "Avalanche" and set up shop at the highest point of the map, aiming several mulchers down the hill. Fucking awesome. And yes, there's a 30 point achievement for doing all 50 waves, as well as a few that you get along the way.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
ARGH! All these posts are making me so sad. I came down with bronchitis with a touch of the flu on Wednesday night--I had every intention of going down to Gamestop on Thursday @ midnight to pick this up and instead have been laid the fuck out for the last 2 and a half days. I felt okay enough today to make it in to work (thx to a cocktail of anitbiotics, industrial-grade decongestant and tylenol) and even though I'm actually still pretty woozy, I gotta make it to Gamestop finally.

Worth posting again:

Bullet lag/Host Advantage is complete bullshit this time. Don't ever let anyone get away with that claim from now on. Cliff said in a recent interview that hosting is now split between 3 people in each game, and each of them hosts a different part of the game's code. I had a game last night with 24 kills and 4 deaths and they were crying "host! host!" about it but that's total crap.

Anyway, game is awesome. I did Horde mode with 4 friends last night and did all 50 stages in one 4 hour sitting. It was one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. We did "Avalanche" and set up shop at the highest point of the map, aiming several mulchers down the hill. Fucking awesome. And yes, there's a 30 point achievement for doing all 50 waves, as well as a few that you get along the way.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
very good game. the bots are pretty awesome, but obviously dont make up for the real thing. even on insane they are a bit of push overs

FFChris

Uno Ill Nino said:

Which difficulty mode did you finish it on?

I assume there are different difficulties for Horde?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
God the
Hydra
fight was buggy. Sometimes the chainsaw wouldn't register on the tentacles or my partner would be stuck floating in the air, so annoying.

Otherwise the game is just one big rush, up to the start of act 5 now. I love the new mass destruction weapons. If you know how to work the mortar, it's such a big help

Top Bottom