• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

spermatic cord said:
Shotgun too weak. Chainsaw too strong. Smoke grenades are stupid. Pretty fun game though.

Shotgun is FINE, you just HAVE to use the left trigger now for it to be effective. I upped my zoom sensitivity to high and start using LT, and it works like a charm. The chainsaw does need to be a little easier to stop though.

Aladuf

Banned
spermatic cord said:
Shotgun too weak. Chainsaw too strong. Smoke grenades are stupid. Pretty fun game though.
Shotty's not weak at all if you use it right, I always would use a quick scope with it in Gears 1 because blindfiring it was fucking stupid and it's the same way this time around. It's been slowed down a little bit, but that doesn't take much getting used to (for me at least).

Flunkie

Banned
Aladuf said:
Shotty's not weak at all if you use it right, I always would use a quick scope with it in Gears 1 because blindfiring it was fucking stupid and it's the same way this time around. It's been slowed down a little bit, but that doesn't take much getting used to (for me at least).
This.

Darklord

Banned
The 100,000 kill achievement is insane. I'm almost at act 5 and have done 700 so far. You'd need to play for months and months.

Nemesis_

I don't understand why everyone thinks that the
Dom & Maria
scene was so
sad, or at least emotional
. I know nothing of these characters (especially the latter) and why should I even be so sad when shit like this happens? I've played games that throw so much more emotional crap at you and then Gears 2 gets recognition for this shoehorned element of the plot. To be honest, the only thing that made me
sad
was when
Carmine died
, but even then I wasn't overly concerned / perturbed.

I mean yes, the story is amazing compared to the first game and the twists were nice, but several inconsistencies
Why didn't the "second" locust guys explode in the game like the characters were talking about? I vaguely recall wretches that exploded in the first game and I have realised these were the locust that the game talks about, but why not at all in the second game where the actual twist is revealed?
The lack of consistency really irks me in that regard.

Still, in terms of actual gameplay (and no cheesy, really lame shoehorned emotional scenes) there was never a part where I found Gears 2 to be boring, per se. In fact, I think it's the most fun I've had with a game this year (Or at least as far as I can remember, something may have slipped my mind).

Locust Queen was awesome though, I'd love to have some epic final battle with her in Gears 3 if that's happening - it would be awesomely epic.

So, is Gears a planned trilogy? I read somewhere CliffyB's next game is a survival horror, does this mean Gears 3 goes on without him or is the series going on a break for a while? It kinda ended
so that they could close it off at that, but I still don't know what happened to the queen or if Skorge really died, so I guess there is possibility for the sequel?

Oh yeah, and BTW, in regards to Dizzy:
Did he die or what? I think the last we see of him was during the first time we see Skorge, did we get "closure" to his death or was I just maybe not watching when we did?

Aladuf said:

Er wut? I get a ton of kills from idiots who charge in and I blindfire the shotty to 1 shot them.

DevelopmentArrested said:
the game is a lot of fun but
a) host adv. is just as bad as gears 1
b) the shotgun fucking sucks now

Funny, I haven't had a single thing happen that made me think "host" like in gears one. I know its still there, but it doesn't seem remotely as bad as before.

Xevren

I absolutely love Horde mode, I have already been through all 50 waves 3 times and I still want to keep playing it. I don't even want to think about trying it on insane though, surprised they didn't make an achievement for it.

sinnergy

SwitchBladeKneegrow said:
Funny, I haven't had a single thing happen that made me think "host" like in gears one. I know its still there, but it doesn't seem remotely as bad as before.

Me neither, pings are usually good. You can test it by firing on a wall and check the delay when the bullet hits.

Flunkie

Banned
Xevren said:
I absolutely love Horde mode, I have already been through all 50 waves 3 times and I still want to keep playing it. I don't even want to think about trying it on insane though, surprised they didn't make an achievement for it.
What difficulty?

scared0001.gif

Gino

So is there any way to bring a guest online and play with people I don't invite?

You could do it in GoW1 but I cant figure it out here.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Beat Horde Wave 50 - woot woot.

We did it on Day One, with just 4 people. With the proper setup/strategy it's actually pretty easy. On wave 50 itself two of our four teammates died right away, so me and my friend actually did the whole wave ourselves.

If you try to play horde the "normal" way, it's literally impossible once you get into the 20s. You almost HAVE to "cheap" the system by placing shields the CPU can't navigate past, leave one enemy alive at the end of the round and then scavenge for ammo, etc.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
I figured there would be more disagreement with the story mode being "awesome."

I guess gears just isn't my style. Just finished act 2 and it just seems boring compared to Fallout 3's story. I guess I'm more of an RPG kind of guy all the sudden.

Maybe the online mode will make it better for me.

Gino said:
So is there any way to bring a guest online and play with people I don't invite?

You could do it in GoW1 but I cant figure it out here.
I have seen some players doing that ("Gamertag" and "Gamertag (1)"), but I don't know how since I never played with guests...

Gino

Hellraizer said:
I have seen some players doing that ("Gamertag" and "Gamertag (1)"), but I don't know how since I never played with guests...
did you see this in a match making game? as far as I can tell you can only bring guests into private games where there is no match making and you have to invite everyone or play with bots.

keanerie

Domino Theory said:
Act 4's visuals.

Holy. fucking. shit.

And
Dom finding Maria, having Maria become grotesque from the abuse and Dom ending her life just made my heart sink so much.
My God.

i dunno, i thought that was really forced and didn't really make much sense all things considered

guy got that far looking for her, you'd think he would have the desire to find a way to take her back / help her get back to normal

Gino said:
did you see this in a match making game? as far as I can tell you can only bring guests into private games where there is no match making and you have to invite everyone or play with bots.
Mh nope, it wasn't match making, sorry...

Gino

Hellraizer said:
Mh nope, it wasn't match making, sorry...
wiw that's lame. well good thing the game came with a 2 month xbla gold demo. ill just have to create another fake account... my 6th by the way.

keanerie

Darklord said:
Cole train is so awesome. I loved it when he starting using the locusts PA.:lol

that was ridiculous

you know, my better self shakes his head whenever cole opens his mouth, but at the heart of it i can't help but laugh

Sean

Banned
Playing through it again this time on Insane (co-op) and it's funny.... the parts I was fearing the most and thought would be the hardest ended up being a breeze. But some of the easiest areas in the previous (Normal) play-through ended up being pretty damn challenging.

Darklord

Banned
keanerie said:
i dunno, i thought that was really forced and didn't really make much sense all things considered

guy got that far looking for her, you'd think he would have the desire to find a way to take her back / help her get back to normal

She was gone. She didn't even recognize him, they had broken her so badly she was just a shell. Tai had been caught for only a few hours and killed himself, one of the strongest willed people they knew. She had no chance of recovery. He put her out of her misery. The only thing I didn't like is Dom seemed pretty normal after it. Well so far what I'm up to he is.

And I still haven't got my Gears 1 achievement characters! Wtf, if I have the achievement why won't it unlock? I knew some shit like this would happen with these cross over bullshit achievements.

Man, I'm loving this game so far. The campaign seems pretty epic ( I'm in Act II ), Horde is fun as hell, and the multiplayer is as good as ever. The visuals, by the way, are absolutely eye-blowing - so sharp and detailed that it hurts my brain ( in a good way ). :)

LowParry

The classic maps are awesome. I just wish they'd let you make rooms for multi-player for what they did in Gears 1. Hells bells. Let us invite friends and let people randomly enter the room to play regardless of rank! Mehhhh! I find it a bit hard to get into a warzone game or whatever alone when I just want to play random people. Maybe over the next week that will change but still...annoying.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
So... is it me or is the Meatshield achievement glitched? I seriously don't know how to get this thing to track (still at 0). In campaign and on mp I've taken a meatshield and let the opponent destroy it, but the counter doesn't go up.

If anyone got this, how did you do it?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Hellraizer said:
Cole train > all other Gears :D
Agreed 100%! He is the definition of kick ass imo. The man got so much "umph" that it even puts the other characters to shame. All aboard the Cole Train babayyyyyyyy! (I'm a tad drunk right now and I apologize in advance).

His glorious speech>>>any line in gears 2 imo.

EDIT:
Jamesfrom818 said:
About how long is the campaign?
Took me about 8-10 hours or so on Medium difficulty...(yea yea, I went the pussy route).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The campaign was just incredible the whole way through, wow. Can't wait to replay it on Insane. Skorge in MP is also badass, his mouth is open all the time though. :lol

The MP is fantastic when it works, but there has to be something up right now. After waiting to finally find a team, it tried to find the other team, then we lost one person and it tried to refind another, then it just went back and restarted the whole thing like 3 times.

Darunia said:
So... is it me or is the Meatshield achievement glitched? I seriously don't know how to get this thing to track (still at 0). In campaign and on mp I've taken a meatshield and let the opponent destroy it, but the counter doesn't go up.

I don't know how to do it either, it's worded as if you need to grab a meatshield and use it to absorb bullets when you're basically dead, but that seems really hard to actually time right.

Edit: I heard you just need to have the meatshield die while you're holding him, but with a one hit kill weapon like the boomshot or torque bow. Or you could grenade tag a downed enemy and pick him up. :p

duffey

Darunia said:

I've only gotten 1/10 on it but I think what you have to do is get shot by something that would normally kill you in one hit because that's what triggered mine. I believe the achievement references it saving your life so uh, get shot by a Boomshot with a meatshield on?

Just beat it, awesome game, really liked all the little touches to the guns, sounds, feel etc. Multiplayer is definitely awesome, can't wait to do more of that. Maybe I'll run into some of you gaffers online.

I'm also wondering if anyone has run into the behind of the scenes documentaries on youtube yet. I really like those vids where you get to see whats going on in the studio. Guys working on the game, interviews with the engineers, it's all really informative, and really cool.

Feindflug

sinnergy said:
Me neither, pings are usually good. You can test it by firing on a wall and check the delay when the bullet hits.

Well the strange thing I noticed yesterday was that when I checked the bullet lag the lancer and the pistol didn't delay but the shotgun had noticable lag...anyone else notice this? am I crazy or what? :|

BTW the campaign is so much better than the first game, over the top action, great pacing and some of the best art direction this gen IMO - some of the environments (hell I'd say most of the levels) were looking like art work...also there's no doubt that this has to be the best looking console game by far, Epic really raised the bar...haven't touched Horde yet but it sounds really awesome, GOTY contender for me easily.

Penguin

Flunkie said:
Wow, epic matches tonight guys.

Gotta love those Bloodmounts!

What is the best strategy against those buggers?
It seems that the easiest way to deal with them is to kill the driver ASAP.
They go crazy but its easier to take down when you don't have someone shooting at you at the same time.

But is there a specific weapon or something that would make it easier.

Momar

aka Ryder
Those of you saying Hardcore is easy, seriously? It doesn't seem any different from Gears 1's hardcore :-/. E-peen?

Ryder said:
Those of you saying Hardcore is easy, seriously? It doesn't seem any different from Gears 1's hardcore :-/. E-peen?

I'm glad someone else said that, I'm dying quite a bit on Hardcore (although as the game progresses I seem to be doing a bit better)

Perhaps a lot of folks who are claiming its easy played a lot of Gears online. I noticed after I started playing H3 online Heroic/Legendary became a lot easier.

LowParry

Ryder said:

I wouldn't call it E-peen talk. I didn't find it difficult at all. Although, I will say there were some segments I kept dying on. Trial and error. "Vehicles". Perhaps it was I kept a sniper and lancer with me (as much as I could) at all times. Good practice with the sniper since AR shots don't count for downs anymore. Insane I'm very curious about tackling alone. But I haven't played the game co-op yet so I'll save that difficulty for later.

Momar

aka Ryder
sionyboy said:
I'm glad someone else said that, I'm dying quite a bit on Hardcore (although as the game progresses I seem to be doing a bit better)

Perhaps a lot of folks who are claiming its easy played a lot of Gears online. I noticed after I started playing H3 online Heroic/Legendary became a lot easier.

Probably, some aspects of Gears online don't make sense to me, as in, "Holy crap, how is that guy moving like that...?" kind of sense. Granted, I only picked up a 360 a few weeks ago and have never really played online.

sionyboy said:

If I'm honest, the core gameplay - stop & pop - doesn't seem all that difficult on Hardcore. Its the vehicle sequences and boss battles that are a bitch. I rarely die outside of those cheap segments. (See Reaver on the Derrick)

Top Bottom