• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

X26

Banned
LIEK WOAH. COGs look exactly like Starcraft Marines, locust look like the protoss, and the locust queen looks exactly like
the zerg queen sarah kerrigan

dagZ

[Rant]

- Matchmaking is broken, even if you try to search for one person with 4 people in your party, it takes at least 10-15 minutes to find someone.

- Have gotten into many unplayable laggy games that no one can even move in, and you have to play them out, because theres no quit button.

- and of course, shotgun is BROKEN.

[/Rant]

that being said, if they can fix those issues, this is be my GOTY.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm like at 2500 for Seriously 2.0. And that's with a lot of play time in 2 days. Wooo it's gonna take forever

Zoltrix

Chinner said:
that scene was quite well done.
i was playing co op when i first saw that, and when she first walked out in good health i was like "weird, thats not right" and then you see it flash to how it really is and you see her mutilated and shit.

Yeah, I told my friend it was weird that she looked untouched. Poor Dom was just blinded by love. For me, that cutscene had more impact than any other. Tai's death is second to it. Turns out the only thing that can kill Tai is Tai.

Chinner said:
that scene was quite well done.
i was playing co op when i first saw that, and when she first walked out in good health i was like "weird, thats not right" and then you see it flash to how it really is and you see her mutilated and shit. Reminds of GOW1 in the cutscene where Kim dies and at the beginning you see Marcus imagining how all the buildings used to be
Same here, I thought it was weird at first, but then...
It was very well done.

Great game as expected. It's just that while playing, I realized that I didn't have the same feeling as I did playing the first Gears for the first time. It no longer stands out in either graphics or gameplay like Gears 1 did.

Also, I rolled my eyes at how Dom all of a sudden is so worried about his newly remembered wife. But that's sequels, and adding new stuff for you.

My prediction is that if Gears 3 is on 360, it won't be as ambitious, will have many cut corners, and will rest on the series laurels because of focus on a "next gen" series from Epic.

Still a great game though so I don't want to take anything away from it. I like the bots for "MP" matches.

Dark Octave said:
Also, I rolled my eyes at how Dom all of a sudden is so worried about his newly remembered wife. But that's sequels, and adding new stuff for you.

Uh, no. He mentions trying to find her in part one.

But yeah, how dare they make a previously mentioned and fairly interesting plot point more integral to the story. The gall of Epic and Clifford B.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Dark Octave said:
It no longer stands out in either graphics or gameplay like Gears 1 did.

Coming from someone who has played Crysis and Crysis: Warhead at 1680X1050 at max settings, Gears 2 still managed to impress me. And that's saying a lot.

Shins

Banned
JB1981 said:
Yea, no. Just played a game of Submission with all American players .. the bullet lag/shotgun bullets-disappearing-in-thin-air netcode is back and better than ever, baby. Seriously, what the fuck? And I wasn't the only player who noticed it. All the other team did was bitch about how bad bullet-lag is. It's also awesome that the shotgun has shitty stopping power when vaccuum chainsaw pulls you into its orbit ... the shotgun that is aimed point-blank at the enemy's face? it does nothing.. you just get pulled into that vaccuum baby .. I"ve never seen chainsaw-spamming this bad before ... but i can understand why people use it ... the netcode is SO unreliable that people just use it as a safe way to get a kill ...
You played with Americans who happen to have shitty connections. I played Gears 1 for two years. I know what the lag you came to expect was for the game. By comparison, my experience in the last two days has consistently soared over the first game. I have been in four matches that lagged so badly that it was unbelievable to me that the connection didn't drop out. In the other couple dozen of matches, lag has been either nonexistent or so small as to be irrelevant. And the people in those matches were as vocal about their happiness concerning the lack of lag as yours seemed to be about its persistence.

We can go back and forth on anecdotals all day though. If you're experiencing lag on your end, that stinks, and I hope you start to see the improvement that I have, because its made everything much more enjoyable.

Animal

Banned
I don't remember which video I learned this in but Cliff states that the shotgun is gimped unless you are aiming with LT. I guess the shot is probably more dispersed or something.

JB1981

Shins said:
You played with Americans who happen to have shitty connections. I played Gears 1 for two years. I know what the lag you came to expect was for the game. By comparison, my experience in the last two days has consistently soared over the first game. I have been in four matches that lagged so badly that it was unbelievable to me that the connection didn't drop out. In the other couple dozen of matches, lag has been either nonexistent or so small as to be irrelevant. And the people in those matches were as vocal about their happiness concerning the lack of lag as yours seemed to be about its persistence.

We can go back and forth on anecdotals all day though. If you're experiencing lag on your end, that stinks, and I hope you start to see the improvement that I have, because its made everything much more enjoyable.

Yea I wen thru this back and forth with the the last game, but people eventually came around. I'm sure you will too.

whatdidyousay said:
How long is the campaign anyway? I'm currently
approaching the Palace, haven't gotten deep enough to plant the beacon yet.
Am I halfway through now? More?

Guys, seriously, how far along am I? Please?

123rl said:
How do I get through the intro of Act 4?

I need to get to the Palace. There's a switch that lifts up three pillars and, downstairs, there's a square-shaped tunnel with two drawbridges above me that lift up when I walk under them. I've tried everything I can think of but I have no idea what to do

When you go downstairs, go all the way to the end, there is a door on left.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just beat the game. That was one impressive finale. I can has Gears 3 plz?

What a ride. I'm in awe. This might be my goty. I wanted to start the campaign again the second I finished it.

The added power weapons are so badass. I can't get enough of the mortar and chain gun.

btw respect for the guy in the credits with his 'I miss you Nightman... so baaad' quote :lol

Ryu

I've been having a hellofa time finding good Horde games. Anyone interested in hooking up and giving it a shot? Bloodwall on XBL.

Teknoman

Ryu said:
I've been having a hellofa time finding good Horde games. Anyone interested in hooking up and giving it a shot? Bloodwall on XBL.

Me. I guess i'll just start inviting people to a match as well.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
This is definitely my GOTY, also not sure if this has been posted yet but, if you ghost around the arcade in basic training you find some cool stuff. :D :D
1D212A4817E0CA84C1B0.jpg

rcua1884

I'm having so much trouble finding a Horde match. If anyone wants to add me to their party, my GT is "Psykko Mantis."

See ya on the killing fields!

burgerdog

In act 4 now and I can't believe how good this game is, Gears 1 was one of my favorite games this gen by far, I probably beat the campaign mode 10 times or more. I haven't seen anyone mention the sound yet, is it just me or does this game sound infinitely better? The guns have a serious kick to them, I love it. Graphics are king, there's been a lot of caves, but I'd be lying if I didn't say they have some of the most impressive graphics I have ever seen. They are so much better than Gears 1, I could understand people saying that they prefer the style/scenary of 1, but to say that technically it's better than 2, that's a flat out lie.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Cliffy B, I take back every bad thing I said.

Look, the very beginning of your game.. well sucks. But once you get off of the derrick this game become pure concentrated win. Holy fuck awesome.

I just got eaten by the worm.. also, poor Carmine... but really, once the old gang was back together again, I knew he wasn't long for this world

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Ryu said:

I just sent psykko a friend request hoping to get a match going. If not send me an invite GT is Meani Pants

dagZ

My strategy for getting to Wave 50 on horde on Hardcore or above:

Map: Stasis
People: at least 4

Wave 1-15:

1.) Run to each of the stairs and each person places a smoke grenade on the bottom and top of the wall on the stairs.

2.) Camp upstairs on the bridge until one person remains. When theres one guy left, run down and get grenades and ammo.

Wave 15-50:

1.) Run to each of the stairs and each person places a smoke or spike grenade on the bottom and top of the wall on the stairs.

2.) When there are shields laying around, pick them up and place them on the stairs blocking enemies from coming upstairs.

3.) Camp upstairs on the bridge using the mulcher that spawns in the middle of the bridge.

4.) When theres one guy left, pick up the shield because the next round it will disappear if no one is using it. Now go get grenades and ammo and kill the last guy.

5.) When the next round starts, Place the grenades on the wall and place the shield on the stairs.

Rinse and Repeat til you beat it. :D

Reference:
HordeHelp.jpg

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
burgerdog said:
In act 4 now and I can't believe how good this game is, Gears 1 was one of my favorite games this gen by far, I probably beat the campaign mode 10 times or more. I haven't seen anyone mention the sound yet, is it just me or does this game sound infinitely better? The guns have a serious kick to them, I love it. Graphics are king, there's been a lot of caves, but I'd be lying if I didn't say they have some of the most impressive graphics I have ever seen. They are so much better than Gears 1, I could understand people saying that they prefer the style/scenary of 1, but to say that technically it's better than 2, that's a flat out lie.

Sound design is very much so improved in this game. The guns sounds are much cleaner and sound much more powerfull. The shredder sounds fucking sick.

I think Gears 1 had a different look though. It seemed in Gears 1 that the war was all but lost and the locust were running amock and the destruction had already happened. In this game it seems more like the war is still going strong and you see more active destruction. I could see why the serenity/isolated feel you had in Gears 1 could be preferable. I'm pretty torn, I like both a lot for different reasons.

I just better have an encounter with one of those giant blind things and get to use the hammer of dawn soon. Favorite part of Gears 1.

LJ11

I'm with JB. I've put about 10 hours into competitive multi, it's a mess, borderline broken. It's one huge chainsaw fest.

Teknoman

rcua1884 said:
I'm having so much trouble finding a Horde match. If anyone wants to add me to their party, my GT is "Psykko Mantis."

See ya on the killing fields!

Going to add you too.

Im in the training grounds atm just for the achievment and learning the basics of some of the new MP modes.

Would be nice to get a good 5p horde going.

TeknomanEX is my gamertag.

Anyone notice your lancer muzzle actually heats up after shooting for awhile :D

Dark Octave said:
Great game as expected. It's just that while playing, I realized that I didn't have the same feeling as I did playing the first Gears for the first time. It no longer stands out in either graphics or gameplay like Gears 1 did.

My prediction is that if Gears 3 is on 360, it won't be as ambitious, will have many cut corners, and will rest on the series laurels because of focus on a "next gen" series from Epic.

Still a great game though so I don't want to take anything away from it. I like the bots for "MP" matches.
How exciting for you! Already kicking down the next game when it's not even out yet.

While the SP is pure win, I'm really concerned about the state of multiplayer right now.

I was hoping that this would be my MP game going forward but it doesn't look like that will happen, at least outside of horde. I guess I will be getting COD: WaW.

Teknoman

LJ11 said:
I'm with JB. I've put about 10 hours into competitive multi, it's a mess, borderline broken. It's one huge chainsaw fest.

Not for me. More shooting than anything unless you get really close.

StoOgE said:
Sound design is very much so improved in this game. The guns sounds are much cleaner and sound much more powerfull. The shredder sounds fucking sick.

I think Gears 1 had a different look though. It seemed in Gears 1 that the war was all but lost and the locust were running amock and the destruction had already happened. In this game it seems more like the war is still going strong and you see more active destruction. I could see why the serenity/isolated feel you had in Gears 1 could be preferable. I'm pretty torn, I like both a lot for different reasons.

I just better have an encounter with one of those giant blind things and get to use the hammer of dawn soon. Favorite part of Gears 1.
I am glad to see you enjoying it, Stooge.

Kibbles

Kaako said:
Dunno why, but I was laughing my ass off throughout that whole sequence. Didn't seem to have much emotional impact imo for a game like Gears 2 that's all about the badass macho space marines. To me it felt forced somewhat. I wished they could've done it more subtle instead of rubbing it in your face all the time.
Obviously you haven't played the game because they are not space marines...

Or was this a joke post? lol

JB1981

alright.. sometimes you do get lucky with a good host and things are not too bad at all ... i was partied up with a guy from europe earlier .. i forgot about that and i think he might have been killling our connection

sorry ultra nonce :lol

123rl

burgerdog said:

I agree with 100% of these comments. The sound is phenomenal in every way. Easily the most impressive sound direction, LFE, music/dialogue/action clarity of this generation, on any format. It sounds incredible and the audio impresses me more than the graphics (which are fantastic)

I'm about half way through Act 4 and the game is immense win. Best action game of this generation, IMO. There's only three legitimate contenders to Gears 2 this year/early next year and tbh I doubt any of them will manage to make a better, more enjoyable, experience than this game. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a game this much, and had absolutely nothing negative happen to spoil the experience.

Top Bottom