• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Horde mode is only multiplayer mode I play now, not just because it is awesome, but it's the only fucking MP mode that let's me and my friends play the game without searching for matching players for 15 minutes without success.

WTF CLIFFY?!? How did you guys manage to cock this part up? It's 5 v 5 or no game start? Really? Really really? And you can't invite people in the middle of the game if someone drops out and you're fucked until the next round when you get kicked out to menus without option of keep playing with people you've already got? Another 15 minutes of waiting? Seriously? I JUST WANT TO PLAY. I DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT STUPID RANKINGS. W....T......F......

Seriously, the MP matchmaking is JUST PLAIN FUCKING BROKEN. It's ridiculous that me and 3 of my buddies have to sit through 15 minutes (no exaggeration) of repeated searching without success of fifth player that matches our stats (WE DON'T CARE), and then again searching for opposing team that matches our rag tag stats (WE SERIOUSLY DON'T CARE!) I'd rather be mismatched to hell and get our asses handed to us than wait 15 fucking minutes for every 10 minutes of playtime!

Shins said:
Did Aladuf tell you about his idea for getting further in Blood Drive? Instead of holing up in the spawn room, he thinks we might get further to split our forces between spawn and the little room on the other side of the stairs where the Gorgon is. If we could put down boom shields to block both entrances, it might split up enemy fire between the two groups.

Divide and conquer GD
Yeah, it sounds like it should work. We also should get two people to sporadically run down while there's not much going on to grab ammo/power weapons to help us out.

EazyB

Banned
Finished the game up last night. For some reason I thought it was going to end way before it actually did. (I never found out how to see what act I was one :p). So I stayed up until 4 to beat it. Awesome ride.

I thought they improved on the first Gear's Campaign in ever aspect; even the story was interesting although somewhat inconsistent.
I actually want to know more about the Sires and the origin of the Locusts.
Horde mode has also been a blast and managed to beat 1-50 on Normal difficulty with some buds yesterday.

Still don't see myself getting into the MP. Than again I didn't enjoy Gears 1's MP so this doesn't come as too much of a surprise.

So what's left for me? I plan on going through the campaign in co-op on Hardcore and Insane. Probably a few more times after that as well. I plan on playing Horde for quite a while longer too although I don't think it's replay value will be quite as high as I initially thought it'd be. (L4D will occupy my insane co-op time :p)

This just in, multiplayer portion of popular game has growing pains. See Socom, Frontlines, COD 4, ChromeHounds etc.

Just finished the SP campaign. Amazing all around. To think that the first game was 6-8 hours, this took me around 12. The engine improvements are crazy, the diff between 1 and is pretty huge, and the game just keeps going way longer.

Loved the story as well.

t4ng0

Skilotonn said:
Really simple actually:
you let the column fall and you roll left or right right at the last second, like Dom tells you to...

And I'll have to do it again, but I'd figure that it's Skorge that steered the column your way after cutting it down...
oh i beat it, i just think its bullshit

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Ok, I just got through the first town.. I take back everything I said. The first part on the Derrick still sucks but everything since then has been pure win. Brumak + mortar = shit eating grin on my face. :D

Holy shit. I love Gears 2 multiplayer, but if there's one mode I DON'T like it's Submission. AKA Meatflag. In concept I loved it, couldn't wait to play it. Unfortunately, I just had the worst experience ever with it. A single game took over half an hour. It was on River and even when one team managed to figure out where the hell they had to go with the Meatflag, we would get bombarded by artillery and it would get dragged over to the other side, and again and again and again. And then people just started hanging out in the barns sniping or torque bowing for eternity, not even trying to play the game.

Really, I think Submission could use a lot of tweaking. Like make the "score zone" somewhere everyone is going to know. Like your spawn place maybe. I think that's my main complaint. If people knew exactly where to go it seems like it would play smoother.

StoOgE said:
Ok, I just got through the first town.. I take back everything I said. The first part on the Derrick still sucks but everything since then has been pure win. Brumak + mortar = shit eating grin on my face. :D
There, you see. Glad to see you enjoying it. :D

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Shogmaster said:
Horde mode is only multiplayer mode I play now, not just because it is awesome, but it's the only fucking MP mode that let's me and my friends play the game without searching for matching players for 15 minutes without success.

WTF CLIFFY?!? How did you guys manage to cock this part up? It's 5 v 5 or no game start? Really? Really really? And you can't invite people in the middle of the game if someone drops out and you're fucked until the next round when you get kicked out to menus without option of keep playing with people you've already got? Another 15 minutes of waiting? Seriously? I JUST WANT TO PLAY. I DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT STUPID RANKINGS. W....T......F......

Seriously, the MP matchmaking is JUST PLAIN FUCKING BROKEN. It's ridiculous that me and 3 of my buddies have to sit through 15 minutes (no exaggeration) of repeated searching without success of fifth player that matches our stats (WE DON'T CARE), and then again searching for opposing team that matches our rag tag stats (WE SERIOUSLY DON'T CARE!) I'd rather be mismatched to hell and get our asses handed to us than wait 15 fucking minutes for every 10 minutes of playtime!

I wasted around 3 hours yesterday and I got to play around 5 matches. The multiplayer right now is definitely an issue and I really hope that Epic patches it or something. It is fucking frustrating as hell when the host drops and I'm baffled that this game doesn't have some form of auto host where it picks another play to be the host and not end the damn game. So I completely agree with your comments.

Absolutely loved single player, but MP is definitely a mess right now.

Warm Machine said:
This just in, multiplayer portion of popular game has growing pains. See Socom, Frontlines, COD 4, ChromeHounds etc.

Just finished the SP campaign. Amazing all around. To think that the first game was 6-8 hours, this took me around 12. The engine improvements are crazy, the diff between 1 and is pretty huge, and the game just keeps going way longer.

Loved the story as well.
I don't remember GOW1, Halo 3, and COD4 making me wait 15 minutes to play 10 minutes of gameplay, then dumping me to the menus to start all over again when they first came out. In fact, I remember GOW1 rocking right from the get go and me getting hooked on it for months. That's what I remember.

2real4tv

Shogmaster said:
I don't remember GOW1, Halo 3, and COD4 making me wait 15 minutes to play 10 minutes of gameplay, then dumping me to the menus to start all over again when they first came out. In fact, I remember GOW1 rocking right from the get go and me getting hooked on it for months. That's what I remember.

Yeah COD4 was the best for me i could get a quick game in b4 work, H3 was pretty good too.

JB1981

Nice to see that absolutely nothing has been done to improve the netcode in multiplayer. Shotgun bullets disappear in thin air again. Seriously the worst bullet lag I have ever seen in a videogame.

Matchmaking has been quick all day, tho. No problems there. But with the lag as severe as it is, I can't see myself playing multiplayer much, if at all. Thank god for Horde.

JB1981 said:
Nice to see that absolutely nothing has been done to improved the netcode in multiplayer. Shotgun bullets disappear in thin air again. Seriously the worst bullet lag I have ever seen in a videogame.

There's almost no bullet lag in a game with a good connection. I've been in maybe 2 or 3 games that did have lag, but that was general lag, not gameplay related bullet lag, and stuff like that. You must be having bad luck or something.

StoOgE

LOL :lol

Dom: It sure is dusty
Carmine: You know, if you wore a helmet you wouldn't have to breath the dust.
Dom: Yeah, but I wouldnt see snipers so well would I?

:lol :lol :lol

Poor Carmines brother/cousin whoever the hell that got sniped in Gears 1

JB1981

ToyMachine228 said:
There's almost no bullet lag in a game with a good connection. I've been in maybe 2 or 3 games that did have lag, but that was general lag, not gameplay related bullet lag, and stuff like that. You must be having bad luck or something.

Yea, no. Just played a game of Submission with all American players .. the bullet lag/shotgun bullets-disappearing-in-thin-air netcode is back and better than ever, baby. Seriously, what the fuck? And I wasn't the only player who noticed it. All the other team did was bitch about how bad bullet-lag is. It's also awesome that the shotgun has shitty stopping power when vaccuum chainsaw pulls you into its orbit ... the shotgun that is aimed point-blank at the enemy's face? it does nothing.. you just get pulled into that vaccuum baby .. I"ve never seen chainsaw-spamming this bad before ... but i can understand why people use it ... the netcode is SO unreliable that people just use it as a safe way to get a kill ...

StoOgE said:

It was his brother.

Edit: Besides the first half-hour or so, the campaign definitely remains consistent in quality and excitement, and I haven't even finished Act 3.

Bravo, Epic.

lionelhutz

MP is broken. Why does it need to search for a team? It'd be much easier to search for 10 players then form a team. I have to believe searching for a full team is slower than individual players. I'd like to play more MP but I don't feel like waiting 20 minutes per round.

KingJ2002

Shogmaster said:

exactly... i played a game once through the multiplayer match up... i tried to play again and instead kept seeing a reboot by the remote server. I'm glad there's matchmaking now... if it were in the first i would have played online more (same with lost planet)... but this new matchmaking rule seems pretty damn strict. It should just pull people and create teams like Halo 3

StoOgE said:

The referential humor in Gears2 is great.

Off the top of my head from a single playthrough I've heard

"Shut up the that Juice already"
"Well I guess we ARE the support, Colonel"
"This is the part where he says 'I'll take that under consideration'"

Kaako

Felium Defensor
newsguy said:
Both these sentences read like Cole wrote them.
I think you're giving JB1981 way to much credit.
jk jk <3

I also noticed the bullet lag online though. At some games it's really apparent and the shotty seems less effective with the exception of that bullshit roll trick jackassess keep pulling off online. Haaaaate that shit with a passion. I know you're supposed to shoot them to slow them down, but I feel like it's not effective enough. They will still roll themselves into you and blow you to bits. lol

off-topic question

can MS points be used to buy a gold membership through XBL, and it is more expensive to get 1 year gold member through XBL then a card at best buy or something

lionelhutz

Ken Masters said:
off-topic question

can MS points be used to buy a gold membership through XBL, and it is more expensive to get 1 year gold member through XBL then a card at best buy or something

You don't use points. It uses your credit card info that's stored. I would look for a 13 month card. Often times it's the same price or cheaper than a 12 month subscription.

_dementia said:
The referential humor in Gears2 is great.

Off the top of my head from a single playthrough I've heard

"Shut up the that Juice already"
"Well I guess we ARE the support, Colonel"
"This is the part where he says 'I'll take that under consideration'"
Best quote in the entire game.

123rl

How do I get through the intro of Act 4?

I need to get to the Palace. There's a switch that lifts up three pillars and, downstairs, there's a square-shaped tunnel with two drawbridges above me that lift up when I walk under them. I've tried everything I can think of but I have no idea what to do

Kittonwy

Banned
Ima gonna show these locust bitches some process.
Indifferent2.gif

lionelhutz said:
MP is broken. Why does it need to search for a team? It'd be much easier to search for 10 players then form a team. I have to believe searching for a full team is slower than individual players. I'd like to play more MP but I don't feel like waiting 20 minutes per round.
Get in a party and you'll be fine.

Oh and I just finished the
boss at the end of chapter 3. HOLY SHIT!:lol :lol

I had low expectations, but still: I've been playing the campaign since yesterday and it's been awesome so far. Sure, it's shallow, the characters are paper-thin, and the dialogue makes me cringe, but the games looks damn good and the game plays even better.

The level in
the worm's insides
is one of the best levels I've played all year. It isn't particularly action-heavy, but it was a lot of FUN.

And I'm not a big fan of driving segments, but
driving the tank up the mountain
was really satisfying.

How long is the campaign anyway? I'm currently
approaching the Palace, haven't gotten deep enough to plant the beacon yet.
Am I halfway through now? More?

Teknoman

Gears 2 has its own theme as well. Listen to the music when you die and at the title screen. Now look for that tune during most high action moments. Also parts of the Gears 1 theme can be heard in some of the tracks.

Anyway, anyone going to be up for Horde mode after awhile? Going to eat right now, but if you guys want to start up a game, i'll be ready.

StoOgE

WEEE, I just got to what I think is the beginning of Chapter 3

Lima city sinkhole

I will say I wish they had expounded on Marcus' backstory a bit more so far in the game. I still want to know why he was in prison exactly, who his father was and why his father had the maps of the caves on his computer.

Dom + Dom's wife = don't care that much. I know they set it up in the first game, but meh.

X26

Banned
Just beat it, damn, last level looked the best that's for sure. Loved the campaign, much better than the first game. Good length, pacing, level design, and stor-err, nm.

So about the story, despite the game being fresh in my mind, I have no idea what it was all about.

Oh noes they're going to sink jacinto! We gotta stop it! Hey, let's sink Jacinto! Uh oh locust are trying to stop us! People being tortured and captured for some reason and thrown into fancy jars. Something about a locust civil war...or whatever...and oh hey the queens human and kinda hot, k. Ending, some flooding, oh marcus has been hitting it, that's cool, I guess

That's as much as I understood.

And another thing,
the secret facility and sire's...so what? I was expecting some cool big ass twist and nothing

Woo just beat it.. I loved the game but the ending really left me disappointed. It's almost as if they got to lazy to even make an ending to the game and just said SHIP IT.

luciddefender

Neo Member
How much does the throwback map pack cost? I ask, because I'll probably pick up the game used in a few weeks and clearly won't get the code for the maps.

luciddefender said:
How much does the throwback map pack cost? I ask, because I'll probably pick up the game used in a few weeks and clearly won't get the code for the maps.

All new copies of the game come with the free code. I am sure the difference between new and used will probably be less than the cost of the map pack if it ever is sold separately.

Shogmaster said:

Chill out man, Epic is new to this whole newfangled "matchmaking" thing. When Halo 2 first came out it was like this too...

...back in 2004.

lionelhutz

DarkAngelYuna said:
Woo just beat it.. I loved the game but the ending really left me disappointed. It's almost as if they got to lazy to even make an ending to the game and just said SHIP IT.

I thought the ending was shit too and like Gears 1 too many unanswered questions. Gears 3 confirmed for the 720.

Zoltrix

Holy shit at
Tai and Maria's death... Oh, and Carmine :p (GoW 3 + 4 confirmed?)
I really did not care at all about GoW1's supposedly crappy story because that's not what I play games for, but this one's was so intense. Two things I'm not sure about though:

Is the Locust Queen human? I'm not sure if she was wearing locust attire or if those tentacles were part of her body...

And can someone clarify what was going on with sinking Jacinto? At first the Locust wanted to sink it, the COG didn't, then the COG did and the Locust didn't...? If that's right, why did the Locust want to sink it in the first place if it was going to destroy their stronghold?

10/10 for sure. The only change I don't like is that pressing Y doesn't take your view to your downed teammate.

Final note: Horde is so goddamn fun!

Chinner

Banned
Dax01 said:
Wow.

Poor Maria. :((((((((((
that scene was quite well done.
i was playing co op when i first saw that, and when she first walked out in good health i was like "weird, thats not right" and then you see it flash to how it really is and you see her mutilated and shit. Reminds of GOW1 in the cutscene where Kim dies and at the beginning you see Marcus imagining how all the buildings used to be

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Dax01 said:
Wow.

Poor Maria. :((((((((((
Dunno why, but I was laughing my ass off throughout that whole sequence. Didn't seem to have much emotional impact imo for a game like Gears 2 that's all about the badass macho space marines. To me it felt forced somewhat. I wished they could've done it more subtle instead of rubbing it in your face all the time.

Animal

Banned
I have been playing multiplayer for the last couple of hours. I have experienced no big issues like some of you guys except one drop when the set was actually over and we were all waiting to move on.

I wasn't really blown away from the last Act.
I was really blown away when I was approaching the underground lake of imulsion right before the boat and hydra fights. Now that was jaw dropping. And how about the whole approach to the Queen's palace ... absolutely stunning if you bothered to look around.

And last but not least the whole top secret base event was insane intense and having those monsters knocking like animals in their glass tubes was freaking me out. At first I didn't know where the knocking sound was coming from and I approach cautiously and I see one of them knock like crazy in his tube and I just stood there for a good 10 seconds thinking to myself how crazy this setting is. I was totally into that whole moment.

Top Bottom