• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Shins

Banned
JB1981 said:
alright.. sometimes you do get lucky with a good host and things are not too bad at all ... i was partied up with a guy from europe earlier .. i forgot about that and i think he might have been killling our connection

sorry ultra nonce :lol
dance.gif

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Costanza said:
I want Cliffy and Kojima to design a game together. It would very likely blow our fucking minds with it's awesomeness.

Well rumors say Kojima is looking around for developers to make a FPS....

Guled

dam this game was awesome. The pacing was perfect, I liked this way better then the first. The only thing I found disappointing was the final boss, that and how they would bring things up and not go any deeper. But I guess thats GoW3 is for

Lots of story spoilers....
I'm still thinking about the Maria scene a good day after I'd seen it. It was handled so well and was the first time I actually got a little choked up watching a movie sequence in a game. Really really brave of the game to take a scene like that and handle it like they did. The Locust as human creation angle was really well done. I also felt completely satisfied by the ending, leaves lots for the third game to cover. The wait for closure is going to feel long.

Shins said:
and thrice the incoherency!

Seriously :lol

I have to admit, I'm as unclear about some of things that went down in the sequel as I was when I was playing the original.

Guess some things never change.

Guled

also, did anyone else realize that
every new character they introduced in this game ended up dying, I would have liked to see them flesh out the characters more

unomas

Banned
Starting Act 4 tomorrow, so far the single player and Horde have been great. Completed all 50 waves yesterday, but multi has left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm sure the game will be one of the top live games for the co-op online and Horde mode but the multi....

dagZ

Guled said:
also, did anyone else realize that
every new character they introduced in this game ended up dying, I would have liked to see them flesh out the characters more

Dizzy didn't?

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Oh my god. When Cole
Grabs the mic.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol I was in tears.

GOTY confirmed. :lol :lol

TimeLike

I've played lots of Halo 3 since its release over a year ago. So I added up all my campaign/multiplayer kills and only come up with 34,055. Seriously 2.0 here I come!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Dark Octave said:
Great game as expected. It's just that while playing, I realized that I didn't have the same feeling as I did playing the first Gears for the first time. It no longer stands out in either graphics or gameplay like Gears 1 did.

Also, I rolled my eyes at how Dom all of a sudden is so worried about his newly remembered wife. But that's sequels, and adding new stuff for you.

My prediction is that if Gears 3 is on 360, it won't be as ambitious, will have many cut corners, and will rest on the series laurels because of focus on a "next gen" series from Epic.

Still a great game though so I don't want to take anything away from it. I like the bots for "MP" matches.

They set up Dom's wife in the first game. He hung out with the stranded because he was looking for someone. He also asked the strandeds leader if he had heard anything about her.

So it's not anything new. It's just more pronounced this time.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Matchmaking has been a lot faster for me today, hopefully it keeps up.

Guled said:
I thought Skorge got him, did they explain what happened with him?

They didn't explain or really mention it, which is why I doubt he actually died.

adam_grif

Banned
Costanza said:
I want Cliffy and Kojima to design a game together. It would very likely blow our fucking minds with it's awesomeness.

I'm sorry, but Kojima is a hack who needs an editor more than he needs to team up with anybody. I love Metal Gear Solid, the game series. I do not love Metal Gear Solid, the dialogue, or Metal Gear Solid, the overblown cutscenes.

Maybe it's just a translation thing? Maybe it all sounds and is amazing if you listen to it all in it's original Japanese. But that doesn't excuse the fact that all of the "important issues" are handled with a callous disregard for subtlety. Kojima does not have any qualms about screaming "NUKES ARE BAD, PRIVATE MILITARIZATION IS BAD, CENSORSHIP IS BAD" into your ear.

The games are so anvilicious that it's frankly sickening. The dialogue is often awkward. I will say that the voice acting, and the voice actors themselves are outstanding. It's just a shame they have such a shitty script to work with. HEY JACK, DO YOU REMEMBER THE DAY WE FIRST MET. METAL GEAR?! NAOMI? WHY?! BIG BOSS!

Speaking of which, Big Boss? What the fuck!? Everytime I say or type that I get that voice inside my head that tells me to stop talking before I say stupid shit go crazy at me. I sound like retard just saying it. The Boss was an acceptable name. Big Boss sounds like something a 4 year old would call himself when he goes on a power trip.

And FUCK, I hate it everytime Kojima goes on one of those "deep and meaningful" tirades. MGS1 it was all about genes, MGS2 was all about information control and memes, MGS3 was not quite as bad, then MGS4 hammers it home about
NANO-NANO-NANOMACHINES
and Private Military Corporations. Then the end with
Zero and Big Boss.... YEAH OK, WE GET IT, HIS NAME IS ZERO. YOU ARE NOT BEING WITTY KOJIMA, "SENDING ZERO BACK TO NOTHING" IS NOT WITTY, AND YOU SHOULD SHUT UP NOW.

Then the ass pull with Liquid Ocelot at the end of MGS4?

This has turned into a rant, but it needs to be said. Hideo Kojima, like the writers of Lost, was making shit up as he went along. Hideo Kojima is not a genius, he is a hack who has thousands of fans jerking him off at every opportunity. Using big words and talking about "issues" does not mean the words were appropriate, or that the issues were handled well.

Oh and Cliffy B is a douchebag.

adam_grif said:
I'm sorry, but Kojima is a hack who needs an editor more than he needs to team up with anybody. I love Metal Gear Solid, the game series. I do not love Metal Gear Solid, the dialogue, or Metal Gear Solid, the overblown cutscenes.

Maybe it's just a translation thing? Maybe it all sounds and is amazing if you listen to it all in it's original Japanese. But that doesn't excuse the fact that all of the "important issues" are handled with a callous disregard for subtlety. Kojima does not have any qualms about screaming "NUKES ARE BAD, PRIVATE MILITARIZATION IS BAD, CENSORSHIP IS BAD" into your ear.

The games are so anvilicious that it's frankly sickening. The dialogue is often awkward. I will say that the voice acting, and the voice actors themselves are outstanding. It's just a shame they have such a shitty script to work with. HEY JACK, DO YOU REMEMBER THE DAY WE FIRST MET. METAL GEAR?! NAOMI? WHY?! BIG BOSS!

Speaking of which, Big Boss? What the fuck!? Everytime I say or type that I get that voice inside my head that tells me to stop talking before I say stupid shit go crazy at me. I sound like retard just saying it. The Boss was an acceptable name. Big Boss sounds like something a 4 year old would call himself when he goes on a power trip.

And FUCK, I hate it everytime Kojima goes on one of those "deep and meaningful" tirades. MGS1 it was all about genes, MGS2 was all about information control and memes, MGS3 was not quite as bad, then MGS4 hammers it home about
NANO-NANO-NANOMACHINES
Zero and Big Boss.... YEAH OK, WE GET IT, HIS NAME IS ZERO. YOU ARE NOT BEING WITTY KOJIMA, "SENDING ZERO BACK TO NOTHING" IS NOT WITTY, AND YOU SHOULD SHUT UP NOW.

This has turned into a rant, but it needs to be said. Hideo Kojima, like the writers of Lost, was making shit up as he went along. Hideo Kojima is not a genius, he is a hack who has thousands of fans jerking him off at every opportunity. Using big words and talking about "issues" does not mean the words were appropriate, or that the issues were handled well.

It must suck to not have fun playing good games, or enjoy awesome TV shows.

I'm glad I don't have that problem.

adam_grif said:

NANO-NANO-NANOMACHINES

Had to level it all out in the end, huh?:lol

adam_grif

Banned
polyh3dron said:
It must suck to not have fun playing good games, or enjoy awesome TV shows.

I'm glad I don't have that problem.

I don't either. I just watched all the MGS4 cutscenes once, then skipped them on subsequent playthroughs. I've finished the game on THE BOSS EXTREME without using any "cheat" items. Finished more than 6 times on various difficulties.

tissot

adam_grif said:

NANO-NANO-NANOMACHINES

you_still_mad.jpg

Flunkie

Banned
Wave 30 on Hardcore makes me want to scream. OMFG.

Bloodmounts + all the Boomers/Flamers/Grinders/Maulers they can throw at you = HELL

Edit: Okay. Wow. Right after I leave, they fucking get past Wave 30.

Wow.

WOW.

Merguson

Banned
Does anyone like the speech?
"Humans are no strangers to war. After all, we've been fighting for as long as we can remember."
"War is all we know."
"In the past, we fought for Imulsion. We fought for country. We fought for freedom."
"But all that changed after E-Day."
"For fifteen years, we've been fighting for our very survival against inhuman, genocidal monsters... but it is a fight we cannot continue."
"Humanity faces extinction..."
"...unless we end this war now."
"We had hoped the Lightmass bombing would decimate the Locust Horde..."
"... but they survived, and have returned stronger than ever."
"They've brought with them a force that can sink entire cities."
"Even Jacinto, our last beacon of hope through all these dark days, is now at risk. Soon we'll have nothing left to defend..."
"... and that means we have only one option..."
"...attack."
"Gears, what I ask of you now is not an easy thing, but it is necessary."
"If we are to survive, if we are to live long enough to see the season pass, our children grow, and experience a time of peace that we have never known.."
"... we must now take this fight to the Locust!"
"We will go to where they live and where they breed... and we will destroy them!"
"This is the day we take the battle to the heart of the enemy!"
"This is the day that we correct the course of human history!"
"This is the day we ensure our survival as a species!"
"Soldiers of the COG, my fellow Gears, go forth and bring back the hope of humanity!"
-Chairman Richard Prescott

Also that beginning dialogue by the
Locust Queen
... it's giving me a real Lord of the Rings vibe here.

newsguy

Flunkie said:
Wave 30 on Hardcore makes me want to scream. OMFG.

Bloodmounts + all the Boomers/Flamers/Grinders/Maulers they can throw at you = HELL

Ahh fuck. We haven't made it there (we could but we play so late we have to call it a night) but the bloodmounts AKA mutated testicles are such a pain in the ASS!!!

Ryu

Just had some awesome Horde MP with fellow GAF people. We must do this again. The mode is just friggin amazing.

[Edit]

Locust Queen is voiced by Carolyn Seymour or ...

msoi1s.jpg

Kibbles

Just had a hell of a time in "Player's Choice", Submission on Security. 31 kills, 26 downs. :p We lost, but it was still fun as hell. :lol It's a shame matches take forever to find.

rcua1884

I had a good Horde run with Teknoman and Not a Jellyfish and others. Sorry I had to bounce out early. I had to get dinner with a friend of mine.

I had a blast with you guys and I promise I'll get a fixed mic by tomorrow!

jdub03

TimeLike said:
I've played lots of Halo 3 since its release over a year ago. So I added up all my campaign/multiplayer kills and only come up with 34,055. Seriously 2.0 here I come!

Single player + horde mode + multiplayer matches = Easy 100,000 kills in a couple of months.

You know, I have a lot of issues with this game, just as I've had a lot of issues with every one of the 'ZOMG AAA+' games of the past couple months. The only difference is that with Gears 2 I really don't care about all its flaws and failings and bum notes, because it's an unabashed, unashamed, barnstorming actionmoviecheesefest, and does everything it sets out to. It has very few pretensions. There's a sort of earthy earnestness about everything here. Even things like
the Maria moment
work, against all the odds. I've been really surprised by how hard Gears 2 works to build on everything from the originakl game, and for every flaw and every failing there are two or three unexpected (at least on my part) successes.

Teknoman

adam_grif said:

NANO-NANO-NANOMACHINES

2h3msg1.gif

Flunkie

Banned
adam_grif said:

NANO-NANO-NANOMACHINES

6fhaxc6.jpg

Teknoman

Flunkie said:
:lol

Also yeah, damn that horde match was insane.

Bloodwall and I survived a good amount of time after everyone else had to go, but got wiped out eventually.

Whoever took that chainsaw beatdown pic needs to post it.

Top Bottom