• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Goddamn I sent an invite to Gears 3 Gaf and it's full?

Sending invitation to Gears 3 Gaf dos. My GT is arvinater.

Elginer

yfh4J.jpg

Need this till next week.

bumpkin

see5harp said:
There is a preview of the first couple hours up at Kotaku. I don't even want to spoil any part of the game, but Totillo seemed genuinely impressed from snippets.
Well, Totillo is a tool; never cared for his articles. But knowing how awesome of a job Karen Travyss did on the novels, I'm glad to hear the trend continues with her story for 3.

Man, is it Monday night yet?

Raxus

Rimfya said:
So are we no longer outraged about the on-disc DLC? What happened?
Skins are skins. They do nothing. I dunno if the maps are on disc though. I am still 'simmering' over that but I was going to buy the season pass anyway so it isn't a huge deal.

h3ro

Regarding the Season Pass:

Is it going to still be available once the DLC is released or the option to have a Season pass once they start releasing the content?

Raxus

h3ro said:
Regarding the Season Pass:

Is it going to still be available once the DLC is released or the option to have a Season pass once they start releasing the content?
Yes. As far as I am aware it will be available forever.

zlatko

Banned
*looks at avatars added in OP*

*shakes head*

Some of these are even in use man. Most of the pictures are back from like March of this year before the beta started.

Where's that hot new shit? Where's that Hoffman? Dat Savage Kantus? Dem Adam Feni ?

I am dissapoint.

-PXG-

zlatko said:

*shakes head*

Some of these are even in use man. Most of the pictures are back from like March of this year before the beta started.

Where's that hot new shit? Where's that Hoffman? Dat Savage Kantus? Dem Adam Feni ?

I am dissapoint.

I'm
Not
Done

I'm adding more.

see5harp

bumpkin said:
Well, Totillo is a tool; never cared for his articles. But knowing how awesome of a job Karen Travyss did on the novels, I'm glad to hear the trend continues with her story for 3.

Man, is it Monday night yet?

Oh well I didn't read it either. Just trying to help.

dagZ

alright I was watching that discovery channel american chopper special and they kept playing this one trailer over and over, I can't remember if it was best buy or gamestop but there was a 3 second footage of a weapon that looked like a huge sword with 4 ammo. Anyone know about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOiCAn1eS94

found it at :10 secs in.

-PXG-

dagZ said:
alright I was watching that discovery channel american chopper special and they kept playing this one trailer over and over, I can't remember if it was best buy or gamestop but there was a 3 second footage of a weapon that looked like a huge sword with 4 ammo. Anyone know about this?

Cleaver.

Vire

dagZ said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOiCAn1eS94

found it at :10 secs in.
Yeah, you can use the Butcher's Cleaver now as a weapon. It's pretty rad!

It's in Campaign, Horde and Beast mode.

And lay off PXG guys, he's got a life you know. :p

Vire

Triple Oceans said:
When you play campaign mode online, you can skip through the cut scenes right? Or do you have to watch them all the way through?
You could skip them in Gears of War 2 online in co-op so I wouldn't see why this is any different.

Ken

zlatko said:

*shakes head*

I am dissapoint.

5a6fdf41.png
959fdd3c.png
da925d01.png
4b765359.png

I tried.

Man, I can't believe that some of you are complaining about this game being so shotgun-centric! It's Gears! This is the exact reason why this game is so good. You could take out every other weapon and it'd still be amazingly fun to play and like no other game.

Don't listen to the haters, Cliffy. This shit works now.

LEGGZZZZ

I hate being at work :( I want to play my copy!

By the way, did I mention the multiplayer in this game is awesome? Even with just bots? Cause it's awesome.

mickcenary said:
Man, I can't believe that some of you are complaining about this game being so shotgun-centric! It's Gears! This is the exact reason why this game is so good. You could take out every other weapon and it'd still be amazingly fun to play and like no other game.

Don't listen to the haters, Cliffy. This shit works now.

Shotgun-centric what? My KD in the beta was about 3.0 and roughly 70% of my kills were with rifles, mostly the Hammerburst.

Vire

Unknown Soldier said:
Can someone make a list of unlockable items and how to get them?
Compiled by DGGReturns:

Full list in detail of how to unlock everything.

Starting Characters:

COG: Marcus, Dom, Cole, Baird, Anya
Locust: Drone, Savage Drone, Grenadier Elite, Savage Grenadier, Myrrah

Rank Progression Characters:

COG Gear - Level 2
Miner - Level 3
Sam Byrne - Level 4
Beast Rider - Level 5
Dizzy Wallin - Level 7
Hunter - Level 8
Jace Stratton - Level 10
Theron Guard - Level 12
Clayton Carmine - Level 14
Classic Dom - Level 17
Spotter - Level 20
Classic Cole - Level 23
Flame Grenadier - Level 26
Classic Baird - Level 30
Benjamin Carmine - Level 34
Grenadier - Level 39
Civilian Anya - Level 45
Victor Hoffman - Level 50
Hunter Elite - Level 60
Anthony Carmine - Level 75

Medal/Miscellaneous Unlock Characters:

Classic Marcus - Silver Veteran Medal (Play 200 Matches)
Unarmored Marcus - Complete the Campaign, Any Difficulty.
Superstar Cole - Gold MVP Medal (MVP 100 Matches)
Chairman Prescott - Silver Allfathers Medal (Play 200 Matches in all 6 Game Modes)
Golden Gear - Bronze War Supporter Medal (Play in 5 Gears Events)
Savage Theron Guard - Beat Beast Mode, All Difficulties.
Kantus - Gold Medic Medal (Revive 150 Teammates)
Sniper - Bronze Headshot Medal (Get 100 Headshots)
Golden Hunter - Gold Master-At-Arms Medal (Get 300 Kills with all 5 Starting Weapons)
Golden Miner - Gold Rifleman Medal (Get 300 Kills with all 3 Rifles)
Griffin - Facebook Promotion or Gold Big Spender Medal ($300,000 in Horde cash)
Cole Train - Through the Beta or a currently unknown way in the Retail.

Pre-Order Characters:

Commando Dom - GameStop Pre-order Exclusive
Mechanic Baird - Bestbuy Pre-order Exclusive
Savage Kantus - Amazon Pre-order Exclusive
Savage Grenadier Elite - Walmart Pre-order Exclusive
Adam Fenix - Exclusive to Limited and Epic Editions (Or if you redeemed your Gears Infected Omen Controller code before 9/9/11)

DLC Characters:

Bernie Mataki - Confirmed for 1st DLC in November
Onyx Guard - Confirmed for 1st DLC in November

DLC Maps:

Azura - Confirmed for 1st DLC in November
Rust Lung - Confirmed for 1st DLC in November

Weapon Unlocks:

Crimson Omen Lancer - 12 + 2 XBL Gold Card Promotion
Crimson Omen Hammerburst - Welcome to Beast (Survive all 12 waves of Beast mode)
Crimson Omen Retro Lancer - Welcome to Horde (Survive the first 10 waves of Horde mode)
Crimson Omen Gnasher - Welcome to Versus (Kill 10 enemies in Team Deathmatch)
Crimson Omen Sawed-Off - Welcome to Arcade (Complete 5 Arcade Campaign chapters in co-op)

Team Insignia Retro - Bronze Veteran Medal (Play 100 Matches)
Team Insignia Lancer - Silver Veteran Medal (Play 200 Matches)
Team Insignia Hammerburst - Gold Veteran Medal (Play 300 Matches)
Team Insignia Shotgun Set - Onyx Veteran Medal (Play 400 Matches)

Flaming Hammerburst - Unlocked if you played the beta between April 18th - April 24th.
Flaming Lancer - Unlocked if you played the beta between April 25th - May 1st.
Flaming Retro Lancer - No information at the moment...
Flaming Sawed-Off - Unlocked if you played the beta between May 2nd - May 8th.
Flaming Gnasher - Unlocked if you played the beta between May 9th - May 15th.

Gold Lancer - Play Gears 3 online between Sept. 20th and Sept. 27th or Download codes from Gears of War 2 (Carries over if you already have them).
Gold Hammerburst - Play Gears 3 online between Sept. 20th and Sept. 27th or Download codes from Gears of War 2 (Carries over if you already have them).
Gold Retro Lancer - Unlocked in beta (complete 90 matches and get 100 kills with the gold Retro Lancer) or can also be unlocked by getting Veteran Gear in Gears 2.
Gold Gnasher - Unlocked by getting Veteran Gear in Gears 2 and playing in the first week of play in Gears of War 3.
Gold Sawed-Off - Unlocked via the Commando achievement in Gears of War 1 (Complete Gears of War 1 on Insane).

(NOTE - Veteran Gear Achievement in Gears 2 unlocks the gold skin for all five starting weapons)

Chrome Lancer - In Gears 1, finish a ranked match with the highest amount of points.
Chrome Hammerburst - Complete 10 waves of Horde, on any difficulty, on any map, in Gears 2.
Chrome Retro Lancer - In Gears 1, complete 10 different co-op chapters as Dominic Santiago on any difficulty.
Chrome Gnasher - Complete the campaigns of Gears of War 1, 2 and 3, on any difficulty.
Chrome Sawed-Off – Have at least one achievement from Gears of War PC.

Onyx Lancer – Get 6000 kills with the Lancer in Gears 3.
Onyx Hammerburst – Get 6000 kills with the Hammerburst in Gears 3.
Onyx Retro Lancer – Get 6000 kills with the Retro Lancer in Gears 3.
Onyx Gnasher – Get 6000 kills with the Gnasher in Gears 3.
Onyx Sawed-Off – Get 6000 kills with the Sawed-Off in Gears 3.

Gold Omen (all 5 starting weapons) - Reach level 100 in Gears of War 3.
Infected Omen (all 5 starting weapons) - Included with the Gears of War 3 Epic Edition, LE Console or LE Controller.

Liquid Metal Black (all 5 starting weapons)- Included with the Gears of War 3 Season Pass.
Liquid Metal Green (all 5 starting weapons) - Obtained (for free) through a yet to be announced promotion.
Liquid Metal White / Ivory (all 5 starting weapons) - Exclusive to Epic employees or those who are close friends with Joe Graf.

LEGGZZZZ

The Xtortionist said:
Shotgun-centric what? My KD in the beta was about 3.0 and roughly 70% of my kills were with rifles, mostly the Hammerburst.

I can confirm that the rifles in the final game ALL work well, so don't think it's all just about shotguns (depends on the player/situation, and most players are just used to playing with the gnasher from previous titles).

Teknoman

LEGGZZZZ said:
I can confirm that the rifles in the final game ALL work well, so don't think it's all just about shotguns (depends on the player/situation, and most players are just used to playing with the gnasher from previous titles).

Glad its still situational. The beta was awesome with having a use for all weapons on the field, and I really liked the Retro lancer - Gnasher/SOS combo. Those digger launchers and the flamethrower are no slouches either.

The way an ideal Gears match should go:

Approach from a distance with rifle fire/long ranged weapons going off, eventually teams get into mid range with shotguns and controlled bursts from rifles, then close quarters with each other, and you end up with melee/shotgun duels or special weapon assaults.

At least that sounds the most fun from my point of view...and was how alot of the beta matches played out...aside from a few shotgun warz rushes.

The Xtortionist said:

Okay, okay. I shall re-phrase and say that there's a heavy emphasis on shotguns. Then again, you only serve to reiterate how great the balance in this game is, so we're all winners!

LEGGZZZZ

Going to mess with the sawed off tonight to compare it to the beta, seemed a bit more balanced the few times I encountered it today.

This game is seriously fucking amazing graphically. Playing Mercy map on my 42" LCD dropped my jaw at it's beauty, the same with the other levels as well. Saw one really bad texture on the entire map, and it was extremely far off in the background, broke the illussion a bit :p

Vire

Do you think that the reviews coming out a full week in advance is indicative of Microsoft's confidence in the quality of Gears 3?

In before money hats joke.

LEGGZZZZ

Teknoman said:
Glad its still situational. The beta was awesome with having a use for all weapons on the field, and I really liked the Retro lancer - Gnasher/SOS combo. Those digger launchers and the flamethrower are no slouches either.

The way an ideal Gears match should go:

Approach from a distance with rifle fire/long ranged weapons going off, eventually teams get into mid range with shotguns and controlled bursts from rifles, then close quarters with each other, and you end up with melee/shotgun duels or special weapon assaults.

At least that sounds the most fun from my point of view...and was how alot of the beta matches played out...aside from a few shotgun warz rushes.

That's pretty much how it plays, save for a few close qaurter retro lancer kills/downs :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom