• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manus

Finished the campaign and coming from someone who loved the Gears 1 & 2 campaign, I hated 3. I have never felt so bored of fighting the same types of guys over and over and in the same boring locations. At least the multiplayer is excellent.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
SquirrelNuckle said:
Finished the campaign and coming from someone who loved the Gears 1 & 2 campaign, I hated 3. I have never felt so bored of fighting the same types of guys over and over and in the same boring locations. At least the multiplayer is excellent.

we're being ambushed!!!... again

this should pad out 20 minutes or so

The impact of the infamous Maria scene in Gears 2 would've been so much different had Karen Traviss already joined the team and written the game's script back then.

IIRC, Aspho Fields was out shortly before Gears 2 launched, and that book fleshed out how Dom and Maria's relationship began and how he was desperately looking for her for years. That set the tone quite well, but it's in the fucking book instead of the game! If she had had her way with the campaign's script and Epic had indeed used some more flashbacks before that cutscene arrived, everyone would've taken it more seriously.

No use crying over spilt milk I guess.

Oh and nice avatar PXG, haha.

clav

There should be a 10 minute ban/punishment for not using the spotting system.

If you're not going to use a mic, spot. In fact, always spot constantly. It's like free map hacks.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Will buy when 360 drops to 100$. It's a very good game (it seems) but I have enough games to play. Bayonetta, Trials, Gears 3 - 3 games I want on 360, that's all, so 100$ is justified.

I wonder if they reach 8 million by the end of 2012.

Jrmint

HawksWinStanley said:
Well technically the lambent Locusts have been around since Gears 1. Remember the lambent Wretches?
Oh god.

Worst part of any of the three campaigns was that room before the mine cart in Gears 1 on Insane filled with the lambent wretches.

Never again.

LosDaddie

Banned
So, I played KOTH for the first time yesterday, and yes, I got worked by the SOS. I mean, I played KOTH during the beta and enjoyed it, but this was the first time I've played it in the retail release.

I think I need to play more MP before deciding if the SOS is overpowered, or not.

D4Danger said:
don't mind me, I'm just stuck on Insane mode and it's making me cranky

Oh I just find the hate hilarious, that's all. Doesn't bother me. Being around GAF enough, it's not surprising who's in the other thread trolling/passive-trolling the game.

Jrmint said:
Oh god.

Worst part of any of the three campaigns was that room before the mine cart in Gears 1 on Insane filled with the lambent wretches.

Never again.

Could be avoided. It's just that most people fell through the floor. =P

Apdiddy

Screw the haters, this is one of the best game I've ever played. This is the only game I know of that can unite every gamer out there. "Casual," "hardcore," it doesn't matter. It deserves the 3 million in sales in one week.

The last Act is worth the price for the game. No, every act is worth it.

KorrZ

malfcn said:
I ran up and mantle-kicked someone, then was warped back and it had them kick and shoot me. GGPO?

I mantle kicked someone yesterday and they actually ended up behind me and gibbed me >:| that pretty much defeats the purpose of a mantle kick.

LosDaddie

Banned
K' Dash said:
Hey it was a great one, wasn't it?, my english is not that great tough, sorry for that :p but as I said before the campaign is so much better co-op, can't wait to get to chapter three and see you jaw drop, lol.

Your english is fine.

Same time tonight? I'd like to get to Act 3

K' Dash said:
I need a motivated team to play horde this saturday morning, from 9am to 2pm EST, sick of playing with randoms, how the hell we're making a strategy without a fucking headset for comunication? GOD DAMN IT

I'd join, but that's too early for me. No way my wife let's me play then :lol

Frester said:
So Danny 117 and I were supposed to trade MP skin codes, but he just took mine and never sent his. Not that big of a deal but a pretty dick move.

What is his name on GAF? That's a shitty thing to do.

Hixx

_dementia said:
Griffin has to be the most fun MP skin to use. He's got the best lines.

He's so harsh. Someone blocks your sight as Marcus it's just 'down in front'. Griffin just steams in with the expletive insults. I hate playing as Locust now :(

Malo

Banned
Just beat the campaign, best one of the series for me. I hated the final boss fight though, it took my friend and I over an hour just to kill it.

Okay Gears GAF, I need advice: I'm tired of being useless with the Longshot. GRANT ME YOUR INFINITE WISDOM!

I usually line shots fine and am pretty patient, but I have a serious twitch reflex problem (I blame UT99) and therefore always screw up the split-second before I take the shot. Don't even get me started on how problematic this is with the Torque bow.

How did you Sniper/Torque gods get so godly at it? Please give me some tips.

K' Dash

LosDaddie said:
Your english is fine.

Same time tonight? I'd like to get to Act 3

Yup!

LosDaddie said:
I'd join, but that's too early for me. No way my wife let's me play then :lol

Yeah I tought so, weekend afternoon/night is dedicated to my GF so, I wake up early and fire up the good ol' 360 to get enough playing time.

Loam

How in gods name do people have onyx medals already? Just got out of a match where someone had a maxed out medic medal.

Wren said:
How in gods name do people have onyx medals already? Just got out of a match where someone had a maxed out medic medal.
They might be boosting

HixxSAFC said:
He's so harsh. Someone blocks your sight as Marcus it's just 'down in front'. Griffin just steams in with the expletive insults. I hate playing as Locust now :(
I lost my shit when I heard him in Horde.

"We got Locusts comin' in... AWW SHIT"

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wren said:
You can boost the medic one in 1-2 hours I believe local multiplayer.

Raxus

Seth Balmore said:
Okay Gears GAF, I need advice: I'm tired of being useless with the Longshot. GRANT ME YOUR INFINITE WISDOM!

I usually line shots fine and am pretty patient, but I have a serious twitch reflex problem (I blame UT99) and therefore always screw up the split-second before I take the shot. Don't even get me started on how problematic this is with the Torque bow.

I find it is less about thinking and more about doing. I use the hard aim unless the enemy doesn't suspect me. Actives make earning a headshot a lot easier as well.

sajj316

Raxus said:
I find it is less about thinking and more about doing. I use the hard aim unless the enemy doesn't suspect me. Actives make earning a headshot a lot easier as well.

I agree. The less you think, the quicker you are with the trigger. Lot of it is just experience and anticipation of where you're enemy will be whether it's a roadie run, roll, or even even a slide against the wall. Also, you don't need to scope all the time. If the enemy is in within range, you might not need. Actives help. Enemies that are also damaged helps with the scope-less snipes. Maybe a shot or two with the hammerburst to get the enemy red, switch to sniper, aim for the head.

CliffyB

Playah
Sandman42 said:
I feels surreal to see like three or four opposing players running directly at you with the SOS. It's almost like a zombie mode or something. The other day I managed to down and kill three of them coming directly at me, with the Lancer. Then I got killed by a fourth SOS guy who blind-sided me.

I just find it funny really, it's like a zerg-rush!

:)

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Seth Balmore said:

Starting off id say patience is a must. Until you get more comfortable with your aim start by learning how to get angles on people that are in cover and being suppressed by your team mates. It's easier to snipe undetected and easier to snipe people who are distracted than being the guy at the main entrance behind 3 of his teammates all who are lancing, waving his sniper rifle around. Mechanically, the way i got decent with the snipe was by not succumbing to that instinct to shoot as soon as i was close to the head with the reticule to catch them before they move. Learn to get to the head at a comfortable pace and discipline yourself to shoot only when you know the shot will pop their head off. Minimize that jerky twitch so many people develop. Better to be slow and accurate than fast and wasting 8 shots on one guy. With a bit of practice you'll be surprised how soon you'll find yourself getting to the sweet spot faster.

The other thing is learning to line up a shot before you aim. Learn visually where the middle of your screen is in relation to your character model. If you consistently keep your targets in that real estate you'll minimize meandering time when you aim or scope. This is also how i learned to hit dudes who were running at me or just running in general.

rCIZZLE

For a better game:

Make SOS a pickup.

5 round execution AT LEAST.

Quick ingame muting.

Slight lancer nerf. (either damage reduction or less rounds)

At least the option of Execution TDM. As much as I hate TDM, warzone makes it a lot less enjoyable than it could be.

rCIZZLE

K' Dash said:
But the game tells you that you can mute everyone except friends pressing start... somewhere

Eh.. I think I should be able to select whoever I want to mute via scoreboard. No time to go to profile, mute in TDM lol.

Hixx

K' Dash said:
But the game tells you that you can mute everyone except friends pressing start... somewhere

I've done this once. It was ofcourse, by accident. Then I had to sit and watch as a notification popped up for every single person in the match.

And I had no idea how to un-mute them, nor do I know to how to mute people.

rCIZZLE

Fallacy said:
The best way is to mute everyone before the game starts by pressing x

But I like using teamwork to win matches lol. Sometimes there's one guy who has his tv too loud or is playing music that I want to mute but not all 4.

K' Dash

HixxSAFC said:
I've done this once. It was ofcourse, by accident. Then I had to sit and watch as a notification popped up for every single person in the match.

And I had no idea how to un-mute them, nor do I know to how to mute people.

Read the manual.

Oh Snap!!!
lol.

Yeah, I don't know either...

-PXG- said:
Anyone down for GAF customs tonight? How about a ban on the SOS?
Not sure what time zone you're in but I'll play anytime after 7pm pacific time.(so three hours from now)
Gamertag is the same as my username.

My god would this game be perfect without the sawed-off!
I'm starting to wallbounce too... I don't even think about it when I'm there facing one or more enemies, it just comes natural. Having so much fun tonight (this is my first gears in multiplayer)

Absolute slump-ville, mayne. This game demands that you be 100%, mentally speaking; my performance coming off of a fever/cold these last few days has certainly been testament to that. I've been super shit.

It's a vicious cycle:

Sick > can't do anything > want to play Gears (would want to if I wasn't sick, anyway) > too "out of it" to pwn > rage > get more sick > quit > get bored... Rinse and repeat.

clav

i nerini del buio said:
ranked or social matchmaking? I spent 3 hours playing tonight and everything was smooth, never felt cheated because of lag
Social.

It's terrible.

Every single game I feel cheated.

Ballistik

claviertekky said:
Social.

It's terrible.

Every single game I feel cheated.
Is it because you're not in the US? Honestly.. I've played over 200 quick matches and only two games I can recall weren't dedicated servers and had notable lag.

Can't see where all the lagging people get is coming from!

clav

Ballistik said:
Is it because you're not in the US? Honestly.. I've played over 200 quick matches and only two games I can recall weren't dedicated servers and had notable lag.

Can't see where all the lagging people get is coming from!
*facepalm*

Look at the avatar man.

Anyway, it's terrible. Sometimes my character teleports in places that I wasn't before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom