• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhoan

I had a bunch of terrible games of Team Deathmatch and KOTH last night with my friend. Every match we got into was a losing match and we got our asses kicked badly. One match ended in a Stalemate. It seems that in every random match I get into, I'm the only person who spots people; it's extremely annoying. People don't seem to know that you can mark people by holding LT and clicking down LS.

I wanted to invite some GAFers, but it looks like everyone was busy, so I didn't want to bother. On the other hand, Beast and Horde were pretty fun. Managed to make it to Wave 20 in Horde before we threw in the towel because of lack of money and the bosses kept tearing us to shreds. Bear in mind, there were only three of us.

-PXG- is a boss hands down, especially when he's on the opposite team kicking my ass. Still, it was fun playing a few games with him. I tend to play it safe; need to be more aggressive.

Volimar

mickcenary said:
Really, now? Hmm. I'm pretty sure that utilizing the game's mechanics in smart and effective ways to land the sweetest hip-fire on your opponent with the Gnasher is far more thrilling than hugging a corner and pulling RT, mang.

Yeah, but I've been doing that for friggen years. That's why I said I was glad there's an alternative. Don't get defensive just because someone likes the sawed off as well as the gnasher.

Volimar

Syph Medwes said:
Nothing worse than losing a match of KOTH by a couple of points because no one else is willing to sacrifice a life to run in to get a break.

Or that no one but you even seems interested in capturing rings. 1 ring king and 4 rambos isn't as effective as they seem to think it is.

reggie

Banned
I have to laugh at the people who complain about the SOS. My friends and I versed a team last night that used it exclusively and they got completely destroyed. Learn how to counter it people!

Volimar said:
Yeah, but I've been doing that for friggen years. That's why I said I was glad there's an alternative. Don't get defensive just because someone likes the sawed off as well as the gnasher.

Gosh. Don't be so logical and mature. You're making me look stupid.

I dunno. The fact that I know that it is a somewhat objectively cheap weapon puts me off; it's also one-dimensional, so I fear that I'll only end up using it to exploit the OPness of it, rather than have fun with it.

JambiBum

mickcenary said:
Gosh. Don't be so logical and mature. You're making me look stupid.

I dunno. The fact that I know that it is a somewhat objectively cheap weapon puts me off; it's also one-dimensional, so I fear that I'll only end up using it to exploit the OPness of it, rather than have fun with it.
The gnasher is also fairly one dimensional. What is your point with that?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Anya on the cover and Baird cut out of the image really feels forced, 'pls care about this character!' very sad.

Cole Train & Baird are about ten times more entertaining than everyone else

Me and my brothers just got to the part where we pick up
dizzy
and even though it has been tons of fun I think I have to give the nod the Gears 2 so far as being a better campaign. 3 certainly starts off better than the other 2 but so far it hasn't been as exciting chapter to chapter since the
tanker.

zoner said:
Anya on the cover and Baird cut out of the image really feels forced, 'pls care about this character!' very sad.

I'm sure we'll see more of their adventures as DLC

Volimar

BruceLeeRoy said:
Me and my brothers just got to the part where we pick up
dizzy
and even though it has been tons of fun I think I have to give the nod the Gears 2 so far as being a better campaign. 3 certainly starts off better than the other 2 but so far it hasn't been as exciting chapter to chapter since the
tanker.

Really? Most people think the beginning is kind of slow. YMMV I guess.

OK, Horde is goooooooood. Sticking with your buddies and making ad-hoc fire teams not only feels organic, but pays dividends. Supporting a Vulcan gunner with ammo mashing is also pretty hilarious.

Still getting a handle on how best to spend my money, and when to know when to save up, but I love the between-round tasks and the ability to spot enemies for the team after you've been blown to shit.

I still think what the next version of this mode needs is a back and forth (you could say pendulum-like) alternation between defense and assault. Like one round or a few rounds of defense, followed by a push to take over the enemy encampment and their static defenses. Once taken this becomes the new base to defend. Just to mix things up. Over 50 rounds the primacy of defense can get old and everybody settles into patterns, even in an intense mode of firefight.

Or go the full left 4 dead and alternate between Horde and Beast mode. It'd be exhausting but oh so worth it to keep players on their toes with every single round.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
zoner said:

Check the back cover
Baird has more space than marcus! lol

rCIZZLE

Jrmint said:
Can't disagree with you stronger.

There may be no "reason" to push, but people still do. Regardless of the power of Lancers this game will continue to be Shotgun dominated, especially now with the SOS.

The power of the Lancer does not shift the prominence of the game, it just makes it so that you can compete if you choose to pay differently.

I see a lot more people just camping behind cover since it's a lot safer and guaranteed than pushing. It really feels lancer dominated now... even someone like me who avoids lancer still has more lancer than gnasher kills.

The power of the lancer combined with warzone style makes it a lancer game first. I don't think it's bad but just a step down.

K' Dash

Excellent Horde tonight Zyzomis, fuck me that was intense, shame I gotta work tomorrow and had to leave :(

LosDaddie and see5HARP, as usual, pretty fucking amazing campaign, that Lambent Zerker kicked our asses good, lol.

Good times.

JambiBum said:
The gnasher is also fairly one dimensional. What is your point with that?

"Fairly", not "completely". It can gib, it can suppress, it can down... There's more to do with it than there is with the SOS. And no, that doesn't make it better; it just makes it more in line with my playing style.

So, I don't really have a point, but you could defnitely argue that the abovementioned renders it the more "thrilling" shotgun.

LowParry

I've shamed my own Gears 3 skills tonight. :( Guess it that's "new people to play with" feeling. First game I destroyed. Afterwards? Fucking noob.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
At the part where you have to lure the barge down....

playing on insane; HOW THE FUCK DO YOU BEAT THIS PART.

CcrooK said:
I've shamed my own Gears 3 skills tonight. :( Guess it that's "new people to play with" feeling. First game I destroyed. Afterwards? Fucking noob.

Iknowthatfeelbro.

Some days I am PXG-good
not even close
while others, I am like the guy who Retro-charges an SOS user at point-blank range.

dmg04 said:
That's what we're doing, bro. my god this is ridic

Well imma be honest with you...if you think that part is so hard, just quit now because the final boss is going to jump out of the TV, skullfuck you, take your wallet, bang your sister, burn your house down and piss on the remains.

The Xtortionist said:
Well imma be honest with you...if you think that part is so hard, just quit now because the final boss is going to jump out of the TV, skullfuck you, take your wallet, bang your sister, burn your house down and piss on the remains.

Like a boss.

LowParry

mickcenary said:
Iknowthatfeelbro.

Some days I am PXG-good
not even close
while others, I am like the guy who Retro-charges an SOS user at point-blank range.

I was playing with PXG earlier. My shame is in full effect.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
The Xtortionist said:
Yeah, we were all laughing about that. basically we just took turns dying until we got through.

Can't wait for the water...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
dmg04 said:

enzo_gt said:
You have to keep moving. Move around the perimeter cover slowly, staying at or slightly behind the middle of the
Barge
as it circles around your position. Alternatively, one of the best spots to stay is behind the 4 little circular reels, the rockets don't seem to aim there effectively. The trick is you need to keep moving.

Here's a pro-tip: take out your grenades and attach them (using B) to the ground where the enemies will zip down at. They will always zip down at the same two locations on opposite sides of the circular area you are in. When going up the
elevator
look at the handle. When you get up, place a grenade in the location in the direction of the handle where they will drop and then another on the opposite side. Those are the two places they will come down from. If you have incendiary grenades it will potentially even burn them to their death before they even get down.

I had problems there, but only on insane really.

-PXG-

If you think I'm good, play with Ballistik and you'll know what greatness is. The man puts in serious work and is consistent as hell. He's a machine and his game is on point all the time.

LowParry

-PXG- said:
If you think I'm good, play with Ballistik and you'll know what greatness is. The man puts in serious work and is consistent as hell. He's a machine and his game is on point all the time.

His snipe game is on point every time. Very scary. I suspect he's a none zoomer (left trigger only). I'm still working on that myself. That bolt pistol is best practice. And damn powerful.

JambiBum

-PXG- said:
You ballistik and I need to play soon

Arjen

I'm kinda starting to mis the old KoTH, i think the new respawn system would have worked much better with a fixed Hill and no respawns when you got the hill.
The spawns can be kind of fucked up now, people spawning right next to you, and with the spawn protection you can't even hurt them. Gridlock for example is way to small a map for multiple spawns

razu

Jrmint said:
Oh god.

Worst part of any of the three campaigns was that room before the mine cart in Gears 1 on Insane filled with the lambent wretches.

Never again.

My stand out moment was replaying the courtyard, where you run round the top, shoot the Locust and plank holding back the door, run back, go through the courtyard, out the back door, try your best to kill the two boomers against the clock, then make a run for it... only to die just by the gateway you need to get to to trigger the cutscene. Guess I'll be doing the courtyard, again...

Then the mine carts in co-op were bad enough. The chances of both of you getting through at the same time on insane...

Also, playing on insane co-op again, I sat through that cave split into two paths stage a MILLION times with a couple of my incapable friends.

And then co-op RAAM on insane. Don't think I ever did it without getting him to glitch out. Cool boss, junk implementation :(

Hmmm, kinda negative post! MACHINE GUNS WITH CHAINSAWS!!! Only the best thing ever! :)

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Just was dominating in a match with the retro lancer and got a message that said, " didnt know u had a shotgun that whole time. just wait for the Retro nerf..."

I just replied.

" u mad? "

K2Valor said:
Just was dominating in a match with the retro lancer and got a message that said, " didnt know u had a shotgun that whole time. just wait for the Retro nerf..."

I just replied.

" u mad? "

Aw, I'm jelly. I haven't received a single hateful message since getting Gears 3.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
The Xtortionist said:
Aw, I'm jelly. I haven't received a single hateful message since getting Gears 3.
Wasn't a message, but after the game;

"Man, you guys are pussies, seriously fucking pussies. Stop being bitches and put down your ARs, You're only good at gears if you use the GNASHER. fucking pussies seriously pull out a shotgun and we'll see who's better next match"

Next match we use SOS, he's the last one alive on his team... we downed him, ripped his arm off, and kicked him while his skull was being beaten in with his own arm.

:)

unomas

Banned
Got done with the campaign on Hardcore with 3 randoms, thought it was really well done and look forward to going through it on Insane eventually. Back to multi TDM for a while! Good stuff.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
End of act three, had an interesting spawn glitch

When you're doing the stand off between the grubs and formers, i was respawned on the other side of the broken bridge, where the formers spawn

I'll post picks tomorrow.

dmg04 said:

Just beat it yesterday, solo.
All has to do with luck. Does that fucking rocket fly at an angle to hit the roof, or the squishy little Gear behind it?

JMizzlin

dmg04 said:

When you're doing the stand off between the grubs and formers, i was respawned on the other side of the broken bridge, where the formers spawn

Haha, this happened to me and my buds in our Arcade Run. Were you on insane? We were. Got destroyed :p

dmg04 said:

Happened to my group as well. Good thing we didn't need to activate anything.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Had a major annoying SOS fail last night. I was last man standing in warzone and 2 guys were chasing me, I build up some space and turned and killed one just in front of me with a lancer. I run out of ammo so I pick up the guys SOS (other weapon was spent digger).

The 2nd guy is now in cover and just as he charges face first into an easy SOS gib he's saved by his friend's corpse or something. My gun shoots and body pieces go flying but he's still there with his SOS and I'm out of ammo and sitting duck for an easy gib.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom