• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragct

Shogun PaiN said:
Should be in the positive category. Why would the game play change a lot for the third installment of the series?

It means that there are no new gameplay elements (except from the Silverback) to freshen up the Gears-formula a little bit.

snack

about_metascores.png

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I'm about halfway through the campaign and I'm probably sitting at around 8/10 in my head, so far. It's great - probably the best Gears yet. But the game is going to disappoint some people by how similar it feels.

GDJustin said:
I'm about halfway through the campaign and I'm probably sitting at around 8/10 in my head, so far. It's great - probably the best Gears yet. But the game is going to disappoint some people by how similar it feels.

That's probably a good thing.

GDJustin

Phonomezer said:
That's probably a good thing.

Probably. I like Gears' slower-paced, more deliberate combat (Warzone 4 lyfe... fuck team deathmatch). It's one of the best things to happen this generation.

But I stand by my point. I think about things like Portal 1 --> Portal 2, or what nintendo does with each Mario or Zelda title, and then I think about how Gears 3 feels just like Gears 2 feels just like Gears 1.

Epic just played it very safe, that's all.

This isn't really much of a crticism... I'm just explaining why it's an 8/10 and not a 10/10, for me. Gears 3 will probably still be my "go to" MP game for the forseeable future.

felt like ign had more spoilers than the gt review. plus the ign review jut seems bad, amateurish. that will be the first and last time i go to ign.com

zlatko

Banned
Glad to hear it's kicking ass. I went back and made another Expertzone thing and got my Crimson skins unlocked and redeemed for my 360.

5 days oh boy. :O

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
So glad my second favorite franchise is getting lots of love. Can't wait until next Tuesday.

Speaking of, does anyone know Epic's set-up for dedicated servers? Is it dedicated servers across the board or are there restrictions/stipulations?

TheOddOne

Meisadragon said:
CliffyB must be proud. :D
Next week: "1.50 dollars for Jazz Jackrabbit skin".

Profit.

Domino Theory said:
So glad my second favorite franchise is getting lots of love. Can't wait until next Tuesday.

Speaking of, does anyone know Epic's set-up for dedicated servers? Is it dedicated servers across the board or are there restrictions/stipulations?
Jeff from Giantbomb said in the Quicklook that the dedicated servers are across the board.

GDJustin

GDJustin said:
Probably. I like Gears' slower-paced, more deliberate combat (Warzone 4 lyfe... fuck team deathmatch). It's one of the best things to happen this generation.

But I stand by my point. I think about things like Portal 1 --> Portal 2, or what nintendo does with each Mario or Zelda title, and then I think about how Gears 3 feels just like Gears 2 feels just like Gears 1.

Epic just played it very safe, that's all.

This isn't really much of a crticism... I'm just explaining why it's an 8/10 and not a 10/10, for me. Gears 3 will probably still be my "go to" MP game for the forseeable future.

My last point re: the games feeling the same - I think with gears 3 the series is still new enough that Epic can effectively "get away" with it. Locusts popping out of emergence holes for the third game in a row? Eh. The company gets a pass, because Gears is so ace.

But this has got to be it - If Epic does the same thing for a fourth Gears I promise you you'll start hearing from more haters. Because I loooove gears, but the campaign just doesn't "wow" the same way.

zlatko

Banned
Domino Theory said:

I don't think any of us know what will exactly go down on launch with the dedicated servers.

In the beta the game for the most part was done off hosting, and at various times had dedicated servers. Odds are, and this is just my personal thoughts, that on launch there will be a massive flood of people that will basically bust up the flow of dedi's and we'll be on hosting for a good while.

Each region gets their own dedicated servers. Hopefully it all pans out silky smooth, and they could go down with the best launch of a game this entire generation, otherwise we'll all just have to hope that the fix comes quick to make it for dedi's for all quick.

zlatko

Banned
Hey Resident, what's that Locust that's third from the top on your avatars now? The hedgehog looking thing.

Also, new goggles in this game looks DOPE as hell!

Mihael Mello Keehl said:
damn mechanic baird looks crazy as hell with those goggles on lol..

you can't tell from that profile but his baseball hat is on backwards, i though that was a nice touch. im glad i didn't have to get commando dom instead of that pre-order as it was my only two choices.

zlatko

Banned
Volimar said:
Savage Kantus.

Oh wow, the picture they have of Savage on Amazon makes it seem different because of the angle. Totally loving it. That will probably end up being my dedicated Locust in MP. :D

maxcer0081 said:
you can't tell from that profile but his baseball hat is on backwards, i though that was a nice touch. im glad i didn't have to get commando dom instead of that pre-order as it was my only two choices.
no I can tell he looks cool at first I thought he was wack but seeing up close he looks pretty cool. Im just sayin he looks crazy because of the goggles he looks geeked..yea commando dom looks cool to me too though I never play with dom because of his gear, it look like hes wearing some long johns or somethin..

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Thanks for the replies. Another concern:

In the Giantbomb QL and other leaked videos, it seemed like all these dudes with an early copy were already level 20+. Is this just an offline thing or is the leveling really that fast now? :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom