• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

malfcn

i nerini del buio said:
aaaaaahhhhhh
Installed the game on the hdd but the dvd drive keeps spinning like it's not installed at all, WHYYY?! It's unbearable the noise dear god

It should slow down. Some of the new discs (new format) spin for awhile.

Ballistik

ergo said:
Leave early! You should be able to set up everything and be on my later that night, no? I hate move in day...

Im staying in the LA area. Hopefully I can find a job somewhere local but I'll go wherever they want to give me a job. Screw it, lol.
Haha yeah, I'll probably just toss everything in my room and hook my 360 up. I can unpack another day :p You're lucky you graduated right now, because tuition is only going up even more.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
-PXG- said:
What difference does it make? Actually....nevermind...it makes a big difference. My way is more specific and actually tells you what you need to do. Merely having the name of the achievement is going to confuse people and inevitably make them ask more questions.
Lol, my bad. <3

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I saw the Blood Drive video, and shit it looks good. Looking at the other pics, it seems like this got leaked internally since those were some MS test accounts on those leaderboards.

Looks like they took out a few of the pillars in the middle and made the stairs leading to the Scorcher a little wider.

Alienshogun said:
Guess it's official, SOS still downs.

Yeah, first guy was definitely hurt, second guy gave the full 160 points, so I'm guessing the patch will take that out, the announcement was in that MLG tournament, and Gears 3 had already gone gold by then so it was probably too late to add.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ballistik said:
Nope. It's California, budget cuts in every corner.

Christ, sorry man. Mine is still locked in at 2008 rate (this is my last full year) and tuition this year is about 1500 more than mine is per semester.

GI Bill and Illinois veteran grant cover all my tuition/living expenses though, so it's not "rough" for me regardless.

Glad I'm nearly done. College is such bullshit anyway, but I won't get into that.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
That was my first thought (hotel is the new mansion) when I saw the Youtube video.

It literally is. They just made some tweaks to it. Even weapon placement is the same.

If they make a mansion remake because people keep bringing it up, we are going to have two of the same map, and we will be paying for it.

dmg04 said:
That didn't look like a game breaker at all >.>

That weapon isn't a game breaker, it's a game changer.

Gears 3 will become MUCH more rifle centric.

AMUSIX

For anyone who's picking it up early in the US...I'm curious about how your store handled the sale...did they warn you off of letting others know?

More importantly for me, did they have a copy of the game running in the store?

I just received separate notes from Microsoft and my distributors to the effect of "you may NOT show it to people. You may NOT demo it. You may NOT sell it. Anything like this before Tuesday will affect future orders."

I've never done the whole breaking street date thing, but I do like putting up a copy of the game in the store the weekend before release, and this is the first time I've had messages that have mentioned that specifically.

cresto

Ballistik said:
Haha yeah, I'll probably just toss everything in my room and hook my 360 up. I can unpack another day :p You're lucky you graduated right now, because tuition is only going up even more.
Yeah seriously! Wasnt the increase from spring to fall something along the lines of $1000? Glad to be out of there...

Surprised you have any extra scratch for gears :(

Alienshogun said:
Christ, sorry man. Mine is still locked in at 2008 rate (this is my last full year) and tuition this year is about 1500 more than mine is per semester.

GI Bill and Illinois veteran grant cover all my tuition/living expenses though, so it's not "rough" for me regardless.

Glad I'm nearly done. College is such bullshit anyway, but I won't get into that.

I agree, but better to have one then not to.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
dmg04 said:
I'm just terrified of CQC spaces even more now.

Just remember, you can backup as fast as they walk forward. Don't push if they are in cover, pick at them with your rifle and force them out into gnasher range.

The days of rushing are pretty much over.

ergo said:
I agree, but better to have one then not to.

Most definitely.

Willeth

Alienshogun said:
It literally is. They just made some tweaks to it. Even weapon placement is the same.

If they make a mansion remake because people keep bringing it up, we are going to have two of the same map, and we will be paying for it.
It's the same basic structure and I can see why people compare it but having played it (admittedly very briefly) it funnels enemies in a similar way but it plays differently, at least in Horde.

The outside is much more open, so you lose the maze feel, and the inside is more inverted - instead of having the balcony, now the central area is raised. It has a similar layout of choke points and weapons, but I found the main play spaces to be in completely different areas than Mansion itself. I might be spectacularly proven wrong once it gets played by a much wider group but honestly I can there being room for both in the playlists.

Of course, I'd prefer a new experience rather than another of the same maps for the third time, but it's dissimilar enough not to be redundant to have Mansion as well, from what I've played.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Willeth said:
It's the same basic structure and I can see why people compare it but having played it (admittedly very briefly) it funnels enemies in a similar way but it plays differently, at least in Horde.

The outside is much more open, so you lose the maze feel, and the inside is more inverted - instead of having the balcony, now the central area is raised. It has a similar layout of choke points and weapons, but I found the main play spaces to be in completely different areas than Mansion itself. I might be spectacularly proven wrong once it gets played by a much wider group but honestly I can there being room for both in the playlists.

Of course, I'd prefer a new experience rather than another of the same maps for the third time, but it's dissimilar enough not to be redundant to have Mansion as well, from what I've played.

It really isn't though. At least in my opinion. I've seen enough gameplay of it to feel that a mansion remake would be overkill like I said before. Like I said, it's mansion with tweaks.

-PXG-

Alienshogun said:
Just remember, you can backup as fast as they walk forward. Don't push if they are in cover, pick at them with your rifle and force them out into gnasher range.

The days of rushing are pretty much over.

Most definitely.

What the fuck are you talking about. No they're not. Just don't BLINDLY rush in. Just be more aware of your surroundings and what's going on and you're good to go.

People said the same shit when Epic introduced the grenade tagging and the rag doll bullshit. That didn't stop people from rushing and getting up close. The Retro won't stop that and neither will the SOS. It sure didn't in the beta. I won't now.

Willeth

Eh, those tweaks seem significant enough that they're a lot bigger than just tweaks, to me. Well, we'll know how it's received in a week.

I have the LE reserved, but I'm thinking of cancelling it because I'm getting the EE when it's cheap. How many copies of the EE did they make?

-PXG-

Alienshogun said:

True dat.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
-PXG- said:
What the fuck are you talking about. No they're not. Just don't BLINDLY rush in. Just be more aware of your surroundings and what's going on and you're good to go.

People said the same shit when Epic introduced the grenade tagging and the rag doll bullshit. That didn't stop people from rushing and getting up close. The Retro won't stop that and neither will the SOS. It sure didn't in the beta. I won't now.

"Running in blindly" is exactly what I'm talking about when I'm talking about "rushing" gameplay.

Willeth said:
Eh, those tweaks seem significant enough that they're a lot bigger than just tweaks, to me. Well, we'll know how it's received in a week.

Yep, and it will be glorious.

dmg04 said:
Pre-ordered from amazon. Estimated shipping date; September 26th? *CANCEL*

Guess i'll just go with Gamestop.

Wow, I wonder why that is.

Alienshogun said:

I guess it depends. It's been pretty useful for me.

-PXG-

Alienshogun said:
"Running in blindly" is exactly what I'm talking about when I'm talking about "rushing" gameplay.

There's a clear difference between blindly rushing and being aggressive.

CQC isn't dead and never will be. Yes, Gears 3 puts more emphasis on rifles than the previous games did, but the Gnasher is still favored amongst the hardcore/ competitive players. Do you really think people like you and me who've been playing this game for nearly 5 years are going to just disregard close contact and intimate violence? Of course not. Plus, Epic knows people love their Gnashers. They tried fucking with it in the past. You should know damn well how much of an uproar that has caused over the years.

Anyway, rifles went from being almost entirely irrelevant to effective supplements to CQC. Don't say they've taken over. The game has changed to some degree (for the better) but this isn't some massive paradigm shift.

Epic has done worse to thwart aggressive shotgun rushing and yet they eventually caved into the communities demands. People were hell bent on using their Gnashers, and they always will, no matter what Epic wants or tries to do.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
thezerofire said:
I guess it depends. It's been pretty useful for me.

Well, for some professions it will be, and that's a no brainer, but a lot of other professions it's more of a "check the box, spend time and money" scenario to make you "better" than the other candidates.

For instance, I'm a CJ major, and going into police work. Most of what I'm getting in college is going to be/is useless to me.

-PXG- said:

CQC isn't dead and never will be. Yes, Gears 3 puts more emphasis on rifles than the previous games did, but the Gnasher is still favored amongst the hardcore/ competitive players. Do you really think people like you and me who've been playing this game for nearly 5 years are going to just disregard close contact and intimate violence? Of course not. Plus, Epic knows people love their Gnashers. They tried fucking with it in the past. You should know damn well how much of an uproar that has caused over the years.

Anyway, rifles went from being almost entirely irrelevant to effective supplements to CQC. Don't say they've taken over. The game has changed to some degree (for the better) but this isn't some massive paradigm shift.

Epic has done worse to thwart aggressive shotgun rushing and it didn't work. People were hell bent on using their Gnashers.

For me "rushing" goes back to not being patient "quit rushing."

So what you're talking about to me is aggressive tactics, and rushing is pushing into CQC in a hurry not completely aware of what is waiting for you. A LOT of Gears players play like that, and while it worked ok sometimes in GOW1/2 it's going to be less effective in 3.

So I'm not saying CQC is dead, I'm saying those headless chickens running around the map spamming shotguns is going to be a flawed tactic.

I also didn't say rifles have taken over, I said GOW 3 will be more rifle centric, and they will. Rifles are stronger and the SOS deters to a large extent CQC.

And no, I'm not going to ditch my gnasher, I love my little WMD, but I'm also going to abuse the hell out of the rifles too. ;)

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
backflip10019 said:
Did you choose release date shipping?
Face. Palm.

Hit the 1-click instead of 'place order', so it defaulted to standard shipping.

Also, that 20$ game credit looks damn fine. I'll use that to pre-order Halo:CEA

Ballistik

-PXG- said:

Epic has done worse to thwart aggressive shotgun rushing and yet they eventually caved into the communities demands. People were hell bent on using their Gnashers, and they always will, no matter what Epic wants or tries to do.
Fox REALLY does love that cheese though lol

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
-PXG- said:
My fear of CQC is based off of playing with 'randoms'. This past week, i've been playing the hell out of GOW2. I admit, i'm not that good after a Halo: Reach/Blops/Every other game in the world binge, but man... I honestly was just blown away by how huge the learning curve was for the game.

dmg04 said:
Face. Palm.

Hit the 1-click instead of 'place order', so it defaulted to standard shipping.

Ha, knew something was up...

Yeah, that $20 credit is mighty attractive... gonna use it to preorder Arkham City.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
dmg04 said:
My fear of CQC is based off of playing with 'randoms'. This past week, i've been playing the hell out of GOW2. I admit, i'm not that good after a Halo: Reach/Blops/Every other game in the world binge, but man... I honestly was just blown away by how huge the learning curve was for the game.

I think the 15 life game will help with this

It's not really fun if you are new to game and you spend 80% of your time in ghost cam

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
dmg04 said:

The learning curve is huge because the game plays completely different. IMO Gears is probably the hardest game to be good at on XBL.

-PXG-

Alienshogun said:
For me "rushing" goes back to not being patient "quit rushing."

So what you're talking about to me is aggressive tactics, and rushing is pushing into CQC in a hurry not completely aware of what is waiting for you. A LOT of Gears players play like that, and while it worked ok sometimes in GOW1/2 it's going to be less effective in 3.

So I'm not saying CQC is dead, I'm saying those headless chickens running around the map spamming shotguns is going to be a flawed tactic.

Of course it will. That never really worked unless you were host or just really lucky. I wouldn't say that's a bad thing.

Gears 3 weapon balancing and solid net code will inevitably seperate those who are merely lucky and relied on host in Gears 1 and 2, and those who clearly know their stuff and actually have real, solid skill.

You and I both know a lot of people are gonna cry "host" and "bullshit" because the game is balanced and actually works. They're gonna complain, bitch and moan about how the game doesn't work and how it's broken. Fuck them and what they say. The DOES work and it ISN'T broken. They'll just use any weakass excuse they can for why they lost.

Seriously, I can't wait to blast people apart and make them trade this motherfucker in the next day. I say good riddance to them. As accessible Epic has claimed they made this game, I feel that the learning curve will be even steeper, mainly because the game works now. Epic has done worse to "dumb" the game down, and yet, competitive play still managed to stay alive and skill wasn't entirely undermined. People who've been stymied by lag and host will finally be able to unleash their fury and tear shit up. Shitty players who relied on being host are going to get destroyed in Gears 3. The riff raff will get frusturated and quit, leaving those real, hard ass dudes to compete without each other without any BS getting in their way.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Alienshogun said:
The learning curve is huge because the game plays completely different. IMO Gears is probably the hardest game to be good at on XBL.
Truth.
Assuming that your gnasher shot, in its entirety, goes to the center of your screen with rushing out of cover to blast away someone is completely wrong. I learned that about 30 times.

edit- Are there still going to be any dedicated servers?

OrangeOak

Alienshogun said:
Gears 3 will become MUCH more rifle centric.

I was doing allright with my shotty in the beta and I can't say I felt the game to be MUCH more rifle-centric.
There is more balance and rifles are great to use now but majority of my matches were shotgun centric :D

Alienshogun said:
Well, for some professions it will be, and that's a no brainer, but a lot of other professions it's more of a "check the box, spend time and money" scenario to make you "better" than the other candidates.

For instance, I'm a CJ major, and going into police work. Most of what I'm getting in college is going to be/is useless to me.
Yeah I can see that. We need more technical/vocational schools in this country

dmg04 said:
same here

-PXG-

Ballistik said:
Fox REALLY does love that cheese though lol

The Gears 3 Lancer isn't OP. I don't know what people were tripping about. It was fine in the beta.

Fox will love that shit. People will complain. It will be funny.

-PXG-

dmg04 said:
Truth.
Assuming that your gnasher shot, in its entirety, goes to the center of your screen with rushing out of cover to blast away someone is completely wrong. I learned that about 30 times.

Like Alien said, Gears is an entirely different beast. For one, it's not a FPS. That makes a huge difference. The cover system, the overall arcadey feel and the emphasis on CQC and team cooperation really throws people off. Throw in wallbouncing and hip firing (people are so accustomed to iron sights these days...), and it's no surprise that new players are overwhelmed. Oh yeah, and they're playing against people who've been doing this thing almost every day for nearly 5 years....

Gears 3 is a new game, with new mechanics, features, maps and weapons, but for some, at it's core, it will be another day at the office. It won't take that long to get used to the new stuff, especially for those who played the beta.

-PXG- said:
Like Alien said, Gears is an entirely different beast. For one, it's not a FPS. That makes a huge difference. The cover system, the overall arcadey feel and the emphasis on CQC and team cooperation really throws people off. Throw in wallbouncing and hip firing (people are so accustomed to iron sights these days...), and it's no surprise that new players are overwhelmed. Oh yeah, and they're playing against people who've been doing this thing almost every day for nearly 5 years....

Quick gripe - a friend of a friend tried the beta and hated it (he's a Call of Duty nut, was like a fish out of water and wouldn't listen to any advice), now my friend who used to love Gears refuses to buy Gears 3 because his friend convinced him it's shit. He was going to be our 4th player in co-op too. Fuuuuuuu...

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
-PXG- said:
Of course it will. That never really worked unless you were host or just really lucky. I wouldn't say that's a bad thing.

Gears 3 weapon balancing and solid net code will inevitably seperate those who are merely lucky and relied on host in Gears 1 and 2, and those who clearly know their stuff and actually have real, solid skill.

You and I both know a lot of people are gonna cry "host" and "bullshit" because the game is balanced and actually works. They're gonna complain, bitch and moan about how the game doesn't work and how it's broken. Fuck them and what they say. The DOES work and it ISN'T broken. They'll just use any weakass excuse they can for why they lost.

Seriously, I can't wait to blast people apart and make them trade this motherfucker in the next day. I say good riddance to them. As accessible Epic has claimed they made this game, I feel that the learning curve will be even steeper, mainly because the game works now. Epic has done worse to "dumb" the game down, and yet, competitive play still managed to stay alive and skill wasn't entirely undermined. People who've been stymied by lag and host will finally be able to unleash their fury and tear shit up. Shitty players who relied on being host are going to get destroyed in Gears 3. The riff raff will get frusturated and quit, leaving those real, hard ass dudes to compete without each other without any BS getting in their way.

Yep, and with BF3/MW3 coming out this fall it won't take long to make all the rats jump ship.

dmg04 said:
Truth.

Yep.

Requoting for new page.

-PXG- said:

Gears 3 is a new game, with new mechanics, features, maps and weapons, but for some, at it's core, it will be another day at the office. It won't take that long to get used to the new stuff, especially for those who played the beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom