• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaNcaKe

Anyone know why Execution is down to first to 3 now? Haven't really had chance to play (everyone is in TDM :( ) but I'm guessing it would be a bit too short.

No more epic 0-4 --> 5-4 comebacks :(

Also the Gridlock Easter egg is the shit.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
DaNcaKe said:
Anyone know why Execution is down to first to 3 now? Haven't really had chance to play (everyone is in TDM :( ) but I'm guessing it would be a bit too short.

To be honest, I think 3 is fine. Sure it will make games faster, but sometimes first to 5 seemed to drag on way too long. First to 3 will still have those "comeback moments, only it will be 0-2 to 3-2.

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Instruction Manual is Day-1 DLC
it's fucking sad

actually, now that I'm looking at it, it's no instruction manual indeed.
it just says "go to gearsofwar.xbox.com/gameguide if you want your complete instruction manual and shut the fuck up. problem?"
I guess they saved many trees. Now I feel better. Thank you microsoft. Thank you Epic.

Dug said:
Damn, I think I might have gotten spoiled by the Gears of War wiki :\

I was looking at the front page of Gearspedia and it said this:

Do you think Marcus Fenix is a traitor?

Is that a spoiler for Gears 3 or am I just forgetting something about the general Gears plotline?

LOL that seems like some Gears of War 1 info, when he ditched the army to try and go save his dad.

Plasmid

DaNcaKe said:

Video?

Dug

Banned
Alienshogun said:
Thank you! Was a little worried there, I'm just surprised the story hasn't been spoiled for me yet.

LeonSKennedy90 said:
LOL that seems like some Gears of War 1 info, when he ditched the army to try and go save his dad.
That explains it, I only played the first level of Gears 1. :p I really should go and finish the game.

DaNcaKe

Plasmid said:
Don't want to spoil so...
Not too sure what triggers it (works on execution when COG) but you basically get mad world playing in the background. Creates a pretty epic atmosphere whilst popping skulls.
Plenty of vids on YouTube!

Plasmid

Dug said:
Thank you! Was a little worried there, I'm just surprised the story hasn't been spoiled for me yet.

That explains it, I only played the first level of Gears 1. :p I really should go and finish the game.

He left before gears 1 because he got a distress call from his dad, leaving cost them to lose a valuable position and the locust overran where he left, apparently his dad was "killed" but as the trailers show he's not.

I think they explain it in gears 3 too.

DaNcaKe said:
Don't want to spoil so...
Not too sure what triggers it (works on execution when COG) but you basically get mad world playing in the background. Creates a pretty epic atmosphere whilst popping skulls.
Plenty of vids on YouTube!

Oh lol. i heard about this.

OrangeOak

Alienshogun said:
To be honest, I think 3 is fine. Sure it will make games faster, but sometimes first to 5 seemed to drag on way too long. First to 3 will still have those "comeback moments, only it will be 0-2 to 3-2.

Yes, in Gears 2, but Gears 3 is a completely different beast. 3 minute matches are way to short at least for me but hey - in Gears 1 I played 16+ rounds back in the day. I still play 10 rounders now and they are often shorter than one full match in GoW2.

DaNcaKe

Alienshogun said:
First to 5 dragged on too long when playing campers on big maps on GoW2, but with the head count being used to win rounds you would have thought that would do enough to cut the length of time matches go on for.

Losing a round now is going to hurt more so I'd assume people will play a bit more cautiously (camping more than likely).

Hopefully it gets changed at some point if enough people feel the same.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
DaNcaKe said:
First to 5 dragged on too long when playing campers on big maps on GoW2, but with the head count being used to win rounds you would have thought that would do enough to cut the length of time matches go on for.

Losing a round now is going to hurt more so I'd assume people will play a bit more cautiously (camping more than likely).

Hopefully it gets changed at some point if enough people feel the same.

Your scenario would happen anyway once a team starts losing regardless of the maximum round.

DaNcaKe

Alienshogun said:
Your scenario would happen anyway once a team starts losing regardless of the maximum round.
Not necessarily.
If it was first to 10 and you lost first round it would be no big deal.
If its first to 3 most people would be camping their sweet buns off.

I guess we'll see though if/when the execution playlist takes off.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
DaNcaKe said:
Not necessarily.
If it was first to 10 and you lost first round it would be no big deal.
If its first to 3 most people would be camping their sweet buns off.

I guess we'll see though if/when the execution playlist takes off.

Yes, but once you got down to the "end" where it's down to 1-2 or even 3 round the camping would occur anyway. That's my point.

Making the match shorter won't have the effect you're talking about at all. It's inherent in the game/mode itself.

JambiBum

I don't really know how I feel about the switch to 3 rounds. On one hand its good because matches will go faster. Sometimes it seemed like matches went on forever. On the other hand it was nice being able to settle into a match within the first few rounds knowing that you had ample time to judge your opponent without losing pivotal rounds. Making a comeback from 4-0 will always be more exciting than being down 2-0 because it takes more rounds to do so.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
JambiBum said:
I don't really know how I feel about the switch to 3 rounds. On one hand its good because matches will go faster. Sometimes it seemed like matches went on forever. On the other hand it was nice being able to settle into a match within the first few rounds knowing that you had ample time to judge your opponent without losing pivotal rounds. Making a comeback from 4-0 will always be more exciting than being down 2-0 because it takes more rounds to do so.
I don't think there is any other gaming experience on par with winning 5 rounds in a row of execution after being mobbed for 4.

After games like that, i just sit back and think 'Damn, that was more exciting than the super bowl'

Ballistik

Yeah, it needs to go back to 5 rounds. 3 rounds won't even give you a chance to learn how the enemy team plays. Wins will be on luck's side more often. Comebacks at 4-0 can attest to that.

Like said, once one round is lost, the game might just turn into a camp fest. If it's up to 5, then both teams have time to learn their play style in the first 2-3 rounds. You ARE only playing once with the opposite team if it's ranked. (Because I understand that MLG rules would be up to 3, but they don't just play one game.)

-PXG-

I forget who said it, but 3 rounds isn't enough to get a feel for how the other team plays. Plus, you'll get less EXP per match. Matches will go faster. However, if you want instant/ quick action, play TDM

3 is too little. Anything over 7 is too much. 5 is just right. It's always been 5. No one has complained about the default number being 5. It should 5, and only 5.

So Epic, make it 5.

JambiBum

dmg04 said:
I don't think there is any other gaming experience on par with winning 5 rounds in a row of execution after being mobbed for 4.

After games like that, i just sit back and think 'Damn, that was more exciting than the super bowl'
Exactly. I have played just about every competitive multiplayer game there is and nothing gets my adrenaline going like a comeback in gears. It's the same thing with my friends too. Whenever it comes down to the moment when everything is on the line everyone just watches the magic happen. It's what separates gears from the rest. It's why my friends and I have continued to play almost every day for the past 4 years.

Fuck I love this game.

JambiBum

dmg04 said:
I think i've just lost all interest in the liquid metal

distressed looks pretty good, kinda like the blue tiger camo from MW2
Lightning looks pretty good. I'm on my phone so I didn't watch all of the animated ones.

Maddog

-PXG- said:

lol
uGKRd.png

digging any skin with electricity. chidori style.

also a little detail im happy to see is you can tell who is still alive by looking at the heads. it helps. you can see that "the camping guy" or "the dude who keeps going for frags" is still alive, unless they all use the same character....

JambiBum

Does anyone know if you get the liquid metal skins as soon as you buy the season pass? That's really the only thing that I don't know lol.

-PXG-

JambiBum said:
Does anyone know if you get the liquid metal skins as soon as you buy the season pass? That's really the only thing that I don't know lol.

They should be available to you immediately after you buy the Season Pass

stop saying lol so much, you're not a 15 year old girl

JambiBum

-PXG- said:
They should be available to you immediately after you buy the Season Pass

stop saying lol so much, you're not a 15 year old girl
I've only said it a few times.

I'm as giddy as a school girl this close to release. I can't help it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom