• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT2| Ashes to Ashes, Peer to Peer

I upgrade to 15Mb internet and the game still lags. lulz.

the actual bandwidth (in terms of speed) has nothing (ok, veeeeeery little) to do with your online gaming experience.
ping and connection QUALITY is what's important here.
if you have a low ping and almost no jitter in your connection , you're in for a good time even though you're connection is only a couple of MBit/s.
On the other hand, a 20/20 connection means nothing if your ping is over 100ms with a noticeable jitter (either as a result of a bad wiring or bad connection in your central office, etc.).

The game is now on games on demand for 69,99€
mwahhaha. oh god...that's just bad. sooo bad. to charge more for a digital release then for a physical retail copy. what douchebags.
come to think of it...everybody does it. even the beloved Steam. IMHO, I purchase something on Steam ONLY during sales because their regular prices are over the top. Same as XBL, PSN, etc.

But wait...it's the convenience:

MS justifies Games on Demand prices
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-17-microsoft-justifies-games-on-demand-prices

idiots...

Marco1

Just had run through the new maps, they all look fantastic.
I hope the entire trilogy get a re-release on the nextbox, 1080p 60fps please.

2San

mwahhaha. oh god...that's just bad. sooo bad. to charge more for a digital release then for a physical retail copy. what douchebags.
come to think of it...everybody does it. even the beloved Steam. IMHO, I purchase something on Steam ONLY during sales because their regular prices are over the top. Same as XBL, PSN, etc.

But wait...it's the convenience:

MS justifies Games on Demand prices
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-17-microsoft-justifies-games-on-demand-prices

idiots...
Honestly it makes sense to charge more for the digital version, otherwise retailers will throw a hissy fit. Retailers are really sensitive folk. Still to price it that much higher makes no sense since retail prices have already dropped.

Honestly it makes sense to charge more for the digital version, otherwise retailers will throw a hissy fit. Retailers are really sensitive folk. Still to price it that much higher makes no sense since retail prices have already dropped.
I know why it's being done this way (push and pull between MS/Sony/etc. and retailers), but c'mon... too much is way too much.
That's why I bought 0 games from XBL (as in full GoD games) and will happily continue to do so.

JambiBum

New maps are pretty great. They completely opened up Jacinto which fixes a lot of problems that I had with it in 2. There's even a pathway that goes from spawn straight to the boom by cutting underneath the grenade area.

Also, for some reason guardian is not in the private match selection yet. Don't know if it was a mistake or on purpose.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Well no wonder I never saw the Gears 3 thread in my subscription list, there's a new OP.

Been playing every other night still, would be more if it wasn't for Mass Effect 3 for sure.

Went through Jacinto, it was already a map that got some of the most play from me and friends, and now it's even more open to bring about some whole new strats.

Did he really say that? I'm glad I didn't watch the video. I play GT5 from Spain with people all around the world in a European host and it works muuuch better than Gears 3.

He can go eff himself.

I'm no game developer, just like you surely aren't, but I'm positive that a shooter has a bit more things to take into account than just a racer.

malfcn

One of the community managers, raczilla, made it sound like no private Guardian.

Hey folks,

I saw some of the threads this morning with questions about private Guardian and wanted to drop by and clear things up. It's true that private Guardian isn't available. Reading some of the posts I recognize some of you are disappointed about this, but I want to be clear that it isn't available and there's not an option to "turn it on" as I've seen suggested in a few posts.

Same old stuff. Release something right!

TheChits

Why the hell is there no private? That is so dumb, but at least the new maps are good. Jacinto turned out really well and raven down is still raven down. Cove is pretty fun so far. Haven't played on Artillery or Aftermath yet, but hopefully they aren't too bad

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I really don't see anyone getting the 10 kills as a leader in a round achievement. Unless they somehow work out with the other team to farm kills, or they get put up against a scrub ass team that the other leader just sits back camping while his entire team runs out like lemmings.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I really don't see anyone getting the 10 kills as a leader in a round achievement. Unless they somehow work out with the other team to farm kills, or they get put up against a scrub ass team that the other leader just sits back camping while his entire team runs out like lemmings.

I'm guessing this is the reason there's no private guardian as well

I played with the new DLC for about 5 hours tonight. Didnt see ANY new maps even once.
The small Gears community in Aus might make it hard to find a game where everyone has the new DLC.
Also, that new purple skin is suprizingly awesome. It almost glows!

just played Gears 3 on Forces of Nature maps. Guardian. Ranked.
man, now I remember why I haven't played this for couple of months.
DAT SHITTY CONNECTION. dedicated servers my ass. blasting off a gnasher in a guys face does nothing. fuck this...

lush

As someone that only plays games in Quick Match anymore, do the dedicated servers even work in Ranked Match anymore? Netcode is still infinitely better than Gears of War 2, but yeah you get alot of bullshit host now.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I'm enjoying Guardian. It has a nice mix of classic Gears holding down a position and 3's respawn craziness.

malfcn

Every time I go back to Gears, I understand why the community has abandoned it. It's full of shitty connections, and assholes. One guy sponges everything, one guy steals everything, and one guy tells you to sucks his balls.

How about a quality community more like Gears 1? Yah, there were assholes. But they used their mics more, and it just seemed to click better.

And again, I can't believe how badly this game is trolling. The achievements aren't very fun; they are either stupid, or near impossible.

ps: They still can't make playlists work right. The Forces of Nature list likes to cycle non-DLC maps.

Played a match of Guardian this morning. 2 out of 3 times the Guardian just ran out into the other teams line sight and got demolished. Brilliant idea having that achievement. I like the new maps though. Can't wait to get back on later.

Played a match of Guardian this morning. 2 out of 3 times the Guardian just ran out into the other teams line sight and got demolished. Brilliant idea having that achievement. I like the new maps though. Can't wait to get back on later.

They realized that it was stupid to have weapon based achievements like the ones in Gears 1, but then they come up with an even worse achievement for the third game. So fucking stupid.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Got all of the Achievements except for the Bag & Tag one, which will easily come in time.

I like how they listened to those that begged for the Ivory skins, and actually made them hard to get.

But really though, do something about the servers Epic - lately I've been getting the Join-In Session prompt every match which only confirms what I can tell from the start of a Quick Match already, which is that I'm not on dedicated servers. I'm getting killed by people who shouldn't even be touching me.

Every time I go back to Gears, I understand why the community has abandoned it. It's full of shitty connections, and assholes. One guy sponges everything, one guy steals everything, and one guy tells you to sucks his balls.

How about a quality community more like Gears 1? Yah, there were assholes. But they used their mics more, and it just seemed to click better.

And again, I can't believe how badly this game is trolling. The achievements aren't very fun; they are either stupid, or near impossible.

ps: They still can't make playlists work right. The Forces of Nature list likes to cycle non-DLC maps.

What?

I didn't play a single non-FoN map, not even once, and I was playing for a few hours even.

malfcn

How did you get the Leader one?
I get stuck in non FoN maps, and even Pete acknowledged it.

playlist cycle likes to go into the shipped maps sometimes, unsure why. most of the servers should be FoN only

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
How did you get the Leader one?
I get stuck in non FoN maps, and even Pete acknowledged it.

Perfect reload Lancer and making sure no one flanked, didn't go for the enemy leader right away, no boosting.

I like to earn my Achievements and find boosting boring as hell - takes longer, but yeah.

smik

All 5 of these maps are great and probably the best GoW released DLC along side Dark Corners

i found the DLC maps are closely designed around the the GoW1 formula and layout (Big+) interesting battles can be had across all maps, the new 3 created maps of Cove,Artilley and Aftermath are the best since the original maps. Checkout,Oldtown and Hotel

Also it looks like this video was 99% accurate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ7zph33-5w

Only Map left on there is River (Needs serious Weapon Balance)
so i can see 1 more map pack on the horizon

let it be any 3 of these remakes and make a couple of new ones along with it and call it a day.

Old Bones (perfect fit for G3)
Pavilion (remove spawn doors)
Avalanche
Nowhere
Mausoleum

Just did a quick run-through of all the new maps/skins...

The Savage Hunter skin is actually quite awesome. I definitely see him getting some decent playtime. I've already got legit Savage Grenadier and both the Dom and Baird skins are kinda hideous.

The Hyper and Midnight skins are very nice; Major League isn't bad and Ultraviolet is a tad too... How does one put this... PURPLE. Ivory is awesome, but unlocking it is not, so I don't even know if I'll ever even touch it.

As for the maps, nothing really jumped out as being fantastic, but if I had to pick a standout - aesthetically speaking - it's definitely Raven Down. The lighting is rad. I'm not sure how I feel about it being so bare-bones in terms of only having incendiaries as pick-ups, but we'll see.

mernst23

Got every achievement in the dlc except cleavers and winning a match on each map in guardian. Got a team of 5 and let the leader take kills so it wasn't too bad. The ivory skins are cool. Also managed to get my last beast onyx, 8 onyxes to go, 6 versus, 2 in horde

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Got every achievement in the dlc except cleavers and winning a match on each map in guardian. Got a team of 5 and let the leader take kills so it wasn't too bad. The ivory skins are cool. Also managed to get my last beast onyx, 8 onyxes to go, 6 versus, 2 in horde
Haven't tried to hard for the ivory skin, but I should do this for sure.

Any takers for tomorrow?

TRios Zen

Got all of the Achievements except for the Bag & Tag one, which will easily come in time.

I like how they listened to those that begged for the Ivory skins, and actually made them hard to get.

But really though, do something about the servers Epic - lately I've been getting the Join-In Session prompt every match which only confirms what I can tell from the start of a Quick Match already, which is that I'm not on dedicated servers. I'm getting killed by people who shouldn't even be touching me.

Regarding servers I absolutely here you...was getting OWNED by this kid last night and was desperately trying not to be that guy, you know complaining about connections...but after match I checked the kids stats and he's a 0.8, but goes 18-2 against a team who works together and our lowest K/D is a 1.5... Garbage.

What?

I didn't play a single non-FoN map, not even once, and I was playing for a few hours even.

I played for 2.5 hours last night and only played TWO of the new maps. I wish I had your connection!

I really like what they did with Jacinto though - opening it up that way will discourage the crazy 'nade camping that would always happen at the end of rounds.

The only other map I played was Cove though, and as I only played one round on it, I don't know that I can make a good assessment of it. I CAN say, that I didn't immediately hate it though. Seems to have a good flow.

Montresor

Do they finally have Horde DLC playlists? I.E. can I load up a Fenix Rising playlist and have 4 randoms join me in horde? Ditto for Forces of Nature?

If not, this game's DLC, minus Raam's Shadow, is fucking worthless.

Brakara

I played for 2.5 hours last night and only played TWO of the new maps.

What playlists? I've played quite a bit of Guardian and Stranded KOTH, and I've only gotten the new FoN maps (as expected in a FoN playlist).

Montresor, sadly, there's no Horde DLC playlist.

Grisby

Finally DL'd the new maps and gave them a shop. Goddamn Epic makes some beautiful freaking places. And those weather effects. I love it.

And thanks for finally adding a new map play list deal form the start.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Regarding servers I absolutely here you...was getting OWNED by this kid last night and was desperately trying not to be that guy, you know complaining about connections...but after match I checked the kids stats and he's a 0.8, but goes 18-2 against a team who works together and our lowest K/D is a 1.5... Garbage.

Yes, yes, and YES.

Pisses me off when I get one-shotted from ridiculous distances where it wouldn't even make sense for me to shoot yet, or while they eat my on-point shots, and still somehow manage to win the match with deaths nearing my kills, and then look at the stats to see that these fools are not only way negative in K/D, but in W/L as well.

I didn't lose the 1v1 because of his skill, I lost it because he's seeing me like a half-second before me on his connection. And I've always been the hard-headed type to never ever quit a match, so I'll go in no matter how many extra deaths I get just to put them in their place. And it's always that one person that kills me like that, everyone else on their team dies the way they're supposed to.

Epic, back then it was only now and then that I had these problems, but it's been constant for the past few weeks now - get this back to the way it was please - I don't like dying because it's beyond my control.

I'd say it's the other way around actually (10 vs 16 players for starters) but whatever.

Not just player counts, I mean with stuff such as hit-detection (client & server side), damage, the physics, etc. I wasn't trying to be snarky either in case you thought I was.

Aftermath and Cove seem good enough, have yet to play on Artillery.

Jacinto is even better this time around, and Raven Down is stunning visually-wise.

Overall, I'd say this is much better than the last DLC.

Aftermath and Cove seem good enough, have yet to play on Artillery.

Jacinto is even better this time around, and Raven Down is stunning visually-wise.

Overall, I'd say this is much better than the last DLC.

i'm going to try and sink my teeth into the new maps on friday but I was expecting Cove to be the worst map. After a few games of guardian im really starting to like the map.

edit: Academy, Aftermath, Artillery, Anvil, Azura. I think we need more maps that start with the letter A.

damn, just played on Artillery, it looks fantastic as well

The bad thing about Artillery, though, is that it presents the definitive argument for the "all FPS/TPS games are BROWN and DULL" crowd, 'cause it is kinda brown and dull; on first impressions, anyway. Raven Down is the aesthetic winner, fo' sho'.

The bad thing about Artillery, though, is that it presents the definitive argument for the "all FPS/TPS games are BROWN and DULL" crowd, 'cause it is kinda brown and dull; on first impressions, anyway. Raven Down is the aesthetic winner, fo' sho'.

Yeah, but when the tornado sweeps through, man it's awesome. The warning sirens blare, the wind howls, the trees look like they're about to topple over, a thin layer of dust sweeps up, etc., it's so cool.

Top Bottom