• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT2| Ashes to Ashes, Peer to Peer

mernst23

Got my retro onyx, 54/65 now.

2 more medals to grind (hammy and lancer) and then the boostathon ends until i'm rank 99 and have to finish up gnasher kills. I should be able to get everything else (assists, actives, first bloods) along the way and my remaining horde/beast when the dlc comes out.

TheChits

I've gotten gold medals on all my weapons legit, but I can't for the life of me use the sawed-off anymore. I'm so tempted to just boost it and be done. What is everyone's favorite weapon in this game? I've grown to really love the digger. Feels so good to hit someone directly

mernst23

I've gotten gold medals on all my weapons legit, but I can't for the life of me use the sawed-off anymore. I'm so tempted to just boost it and be done. What is everyone's favorite weapon in this game? I've grown to really love the digger. Feels so good to hit someone directly

That's why I did SOS first via boosting, it got nerfed so bad that it wasn't worth using in the first place, and then on top of it when I play versus I keep to alpha/zeta/anything without a SOS in it gametype. On the bright side it helped me knock out like a fifth of my active reloads; but i'm only 1500 away right now from that onyx anyways and still have almost 12000 kills to get.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!

Love the snipe. It's so easy to no scope now.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Could someone explain the thinking behind "matchmaking"?

In Gears 1 we could host a match, choose the map and number of rounds. Then, through the power of speech, we could all decide on which map to play next. It was great.

Now, a host robot picks the map, and we get to play first to 2 rounds is the winner, (TDM, because Warzone against bots is, well, insufficient), followed by another robo-picked map...

Why, oh why, can we not have the option to host a map, and be put into the pool of hosted games? My hosted game would live alongside the robo-hosted games, no problem. So people just joining may drop into a robo game, or mine, they don't care, (or perhaps they do!). But, when a human hosted game finishes, the *human* gets to pick the next map, and number of rounds...! Perhaps the *humans*want a rematch with the same teams, perhaps they want the same teams but on map X... Perhaps they want randomised teams from the players playing now on a random map... Right now it doesn't matter what they want, because they get: probably a map they don't want, not enough rounds, and 30% of people quitting because *they* don't like the next map. Dogshit situation!

Warzone has died because of this. Warzone is my favourite mode. But Warzone without map selection is shit. 5v5 has also killed Warzone. Which is ridiculous! Gears is Warzone/Execution! What is Gears TDM trying to do? Compete with CoD? Good luck with that!

Just add the fucking option to host your own games! And let us swap fucking sides before the game starts. Let us start the game with bots, but only when the host says so, or, turn bots off. Why take choice away from the people who bought the fucking game...?

Note: I am not suggesting the game is hosted on the "host's" machine. Merely that the decision of what to play next is decided by a participant, as opposed to a machine.

Right now I would gladly take back phoning people to get their IP to connect to their game, (while their computer was using the landline via dialup), than this shit we live with now.

Does ANYONE disagree with this? Playlists >>>> Shitty matchmaking. I want to pick my fucking map, and pick my fucking options.

Funny how the more accessible the franchise gets, the less popular it is. Back in the days of Gears 1, it was right behind Halo and COD. Gears 2 maybe dropped, but it kept most of its (long) lifetime in front of the likes of L4D or FIFA and it even beat COD4 for some weeks when World at War was at the top and Halo 3 was second.

Now it can't even beat MW2 and it's behind Reach, Battlefield 3, Fifa, TES... and we don't know how close NBA 2k12 is. I really wonder what will happen next :p Hoping next-gen shakes things up a little and we stop seeing COD COD COD on the top of every chart.

Still... Been in top 10/close to it ever since day 1. Amazing.

it is amazing to see a game from 2008 still on the boards. although the game did see the original release, digital download, two dlc campaign releases, standalone DLC retail disc and the final retail copy that had it all.

Does ANYONE disagree with this? Playlists >>>> Shitty matchmaking. I want to pick my fucking map, and pick my fucking options.

always did. it was familiar territory coming from the serverlists in the arena shooter days of unrealtournament. gears2 came along with its atrocious matchmaking and i've hated it ever since. im sure MS is the reason why it's pushed so hard too.

Funny how the more accessible the franchise gets, the less popular it is. Back in the days of Gears 1, it was right behind Halo and COD.

Actually, Gears 1 was king above everyone else. It was the game that finally knocked Halo 2 off as the #1 game played on Xbox Live and was the first real killer app for the 360.

And it was way ahead of Call of Duty at the time. Call of Duty in 2006 was abolutely meaningless compared to the monster it is now. The latest release when Gears 1 came out was Call of Duty 3, which every CoD fan hated and rejected because Treyarch did it.

Actually, Gears 1 was king above everyone else. It was the game that finally knocked Halo 2 off as the #1 game played on Xbox Live and was the first real killer app for the 360.

And it was way ahead of Call of Duty at the time. Call of Duty in 2006 was abolutely meaningless compared to the monster it is now. The latest release when Gears 1 came out was Call of Duty 3, which every CoD fan hated and rejected because Treyarch did it.

Yup, it wasn't until CoD4 was released that CoD really boomed. Before that, it was nothing.

Lunchbox

Banned
Funny how the more accessible the franchise gets, the less popular it is. Back in the days of Gears 1, it was right behind Halo and COD. Gears 2 maybe dropped, but it kept most of its (long) lifetime in front of the likes of L4D or FIFA and it even beat COD4 for some weeks when World at War was at the top and Halo 3 was second.
that pile of trash Gears 2 did irreparable damage to the franchise

it came out the year after COD4 and Halo3 in a broken state that still gives me nightmares. cant even imagine what first time players thought of that game after paying 60$ for it. it drove many of my own friends (who i convinced to buy the game) away for good.

when i told them to get gears3 last year they pointed and laughed while reminding me of gears2

it came out the year after COD4 and Halo3 in a broken state that still gives me nightmares. cant even imagine what first time players thought of that game after paying 60$ for it. it drove many of my own friends (who i convinced to buy the game) away for good.

when i told them to get gears3 last year they pointed and laughed while reminding me of gears2

Same here. Most of my friends loved Gears 1, but Gears 2 drove almost all of them away. Now, we are only two people left playing Gears 3. Hopefully the next Gears running on UE4 on Xbox 3 will bring some back.

Garbage achievements as usual. They aren't even trying anymore.

mernst23

Going thing I have all my forts maxed except for silverback which is level 4 right now. Guess all i'm doing is repairing silverbacks while going for my last 2 horde onyx medals.

It wasn't that. It was the fact that the shotguns were there to stay. No one wanted a game were the game revolved around one single weapon to be competitive at all.

abracadaver

I dont know if you have to have silverback level 2 or level 5 for that achievement.
If the requirement is level 5 then that would mean you would have to buy another DLC (horde command pack) to unlock the achievement that comes with forces of nature. Isnt that against microsofts DLC rules ?!

I dont know if you have to have silverback level 2 or level 5 for that achievement.
If the requirement is level 5 then that would mean you would have to buy another DLC (horde command pack) to unlock the achievement that comes with forces of nature. Isnt that against microsofts DLC rules ?!

It's basically Microsoft's own game; they can do whatever the hell they want. Besides, if you play that much horde you should be getting the horde command pack anyway.

2th

Banned
kinda sad lately. this game does not hold my interest at all. like i have no reason to play it. maybe when the DLC hits i will care about this game again.

Addnan

The achievements in this game are just so boring, nothing that requires any form of fun gameplay. Just grinding away. I think @Petenub confirmed that for the max fortification achievement you only need retail max. So only level 2 Silverback, yeeah.

Should hit red levels by the weekend (Currently 98 green), don't think I will re-up into blue since the 100 for that looks crappy, just gold. Looks too similar to the first set of wings.

Does anyone know what these "Elemental Cleavers" are about?

The Cleaver is a really weird weapon to make a new version of, especially since it's already pretty much a guaranteed kill if you manage to corner someone with one. I can't imagine what they'd do to make them more exciting.

New maps look really cool though, can't wait to try them out.

Addnan

Does anyone know what these "Elemental Cleavers" are about?

The Cleaver is a really weird weapon to make a new version of, especially since it's already pretty much a guaranteed kill if you manage to corner someone with one. I can't imagine what they'd do to make them more exciting.

New maps look really cool though, can't wait to try them out.

I think theres a cleaver hidden in the new maps for horde. Fire, ice and imulsion. Possibly more, they are the 3 I've seen in epic forums.

Edit:
Elemental Cleavers info:
In addition to the maps, Fergusson revealed to GT.TV that the DLC will include a few Easter Eggs of sorts – four special weapons hidden in the maps called “Elemental Cleavers”. As an example of what you can expect, you'll be able to locate a “snow cleaver” that can gust an icy breeze at an enemy and stun them from a distance or an “emulsion cleaver” that explodes on impact and does a small amount of AOE burning damage to nearby enemies (in addition to the normal cleaver damage). Also, there are Achievements tied to these weapons for anyone that can find these cleavers and get 25 kills with them in Horde or Beast mode.

OK, stunning from a distance sounds pretty cool. I was worried by the name that they'd just be normal Cleavers except on fire or whatever. If they have unique secondary effects they might be interesting.

TheChits

Does anyone know why I never get clocktower or bulletmarsh in multiplayer anymore? I played like 15 or 16 games yesterday and they never popped up.

Booted it up for the first time in a while list night - just a quick half-hour session - and I had an absolute blast. I was really fucking good for some reason. Sure, my interest has waned, but when both myself and the game are on fire, it makes me remember just how special a game GoW3 is.

/girlyemotions

mernst23

Got my hammerburst onyx, 56 down, ~7500 more kills to go between lancer and gnasher, I thought id be done by the beginning of april but I'm only level 55

razu

Played Gears 3 at lunch, had a great time.

Played Gears 3 after work... annoying. Gears 1 was better than this...

Played Gears 1. Warzone. 4v4, on Gridlock... (Actually lots of people playing).

Surprised how it didn't look that bad. Animation was a bit clunkier, and you can't hold X before arriving at grenades to pick them up...

But, it felt better, looked sharper, sounded like shotguns... And smoke grenades are useless, hooray! I went 4 kills 0 deaths in the first round.

Epic should make a Gears 1 game again. But also a Gears 3 game :)

Maybe the next Gears will have better achievements.

its the red haired goof, Rod Fergusson who tries to laugh at hard stuff.

its shallow laugh, they all know that Gears 3 tanked and did not do shit to bring people back after utter piece of shit gears of war 2!

btw I wish Gears of War 3 had 4 x AA or more. it would be perfect looking game!

2San

Booted it up for the first time in a while list night - just a quick half-hour session - and I had an absolute blast. I was really fucking good for some reason. Sure, my interest has waned, but when both myself and the game are on fire, it makes me remember just how special a game GoW3 is.

/girlyemotions
Never got properly acquainted with the oldest sister. Had an abusive relationship with the 2nd. She was slow, clunky, had an annoying habit of just zoning out, I hated everything about her, yet I couldn't leave her. She had something that made me stay. The 3rd one was everything I wanted, occasionally she zoned out as well, not nearly as much as the 2nd sister. She had a few personality issue's. She changed after me and her friends pointed it out to her though. She took a special place in my heart. Sadly, she like her elder sisters was only really fun when my friends where present as well. My friends liked hanging out with others. Soon too I left. Yet I still yearn for her, still enjoy her company from time to time, but I know it isn't meant to be.

Never got properly acquainted with the oldest sister. Had an abusive relationship with the 2nd. She was slow, clunky, had an annoying habit of just zoning out, I hated everything about her, yet I couldn't leave her. She had something that made me stay. The 3rd one was everything I wanted, occasionally she zoned out as well, not nearly as much as the 2nd sister. She had a few personality issue's. She changed after me and her friends pointed it out to her though. She took a special place in my heart. Sadly, she like her elder sisters was only really fun when my friends where present as well. My friends liked hanging out with others. Soon too I left. Yet I still yearn for her, still enjoy her company from time to time, but I know it isn't meant to be.

Tears of War.

Xbox 360 Top LIVE Titles For Week of March 5, 2012 (unique users)
1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
2. Call of Duty: Black Ops
3. FIFA 12
4. Battlefield 3
5. Halo: Reach
6. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
7. Mass Effect 3
8. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
9. NBA 2K12
10. Gears of War 3
11. Grand Theft Auto IV
12. Forza Motorsport 4
13. Madden NFL 12
14. NHL12
15. FIFA Street Demo
16. Saints Row: The Third
17. Halo 3
18. Mass Effect 2
19. NBA 2K11
20. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

I hope Modern Warfare 2 stays popular.
Once I get sick of Gears 3 (in a couple of months), Im going back to it. MW3 wasn't my cup of tea.
I hope the new gears DLC at the end of the month delivers good maps like the Pheonix Rising DLC did.
I havent heard good things about Raven Down, though I do enjoy Escalation usually, and thats a small map too.

TRios Zen

Tears of War.

Here's my tears for you: connection is ALL over the place, lately. WTF? Go 15-2 against the guys with 2+ K/D, then go 1-10 against a team with an average K/D of .80.

I'm not even sure anymore when I'm on servers or not, I used to think I could tell, now I have no idea. Also, still haven't seen Clocktower in 4 weeks or so, and I play a little every night.

Still loving the game, crappy K/D (almost a 1.6 damnit!) and all. Just hit 95, hoping for 97 by Monday if I can find some folks to play with. Part of my regular crew gambling it up in Vegas this weekend, so might need to play "stranded". Wait, is that even in the playlist anymore??

2th

Banned
its the red haired goof, Rod Fergusson who tries to laugh at hard stuff.

its shallow laugh, they all know that Gears 3 tanked and did not do shit to bring people back after utter piece of shit gears of war 2!

btw I wish Gears of War 3 had 4 x AA or more. it would be perfect looking game!

While Rod is a bit of a goofball, he is a genuinely nice guy. So dont hate on him.

Also this weekend i think im going to get some beers and gears going. Anyone care to join me?

-PXG-

Amazing

So, what's going on with this game tonight? Says 0 people playing on all modes, and all the pickup weapons are the default ones. Trenches have flamer in the cave instead of digger and so on.

EDIT: Seems to be only me... I've tried backing out to the main menu and in again, but still the same problem. When I joined my friend, we got into a server right away. Weird.

Top Bottom