• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Judgement |OT| Brothers from the beginning, Bros till the end

Fracas

#fuckonami
I really want to play this, but I just can't make myself spend more than like $30. Never been much of a Gears MP fan.

I got the game today and I really wanted to try the mp, but I made the mistake of starting the campaign first. I couldnt put it down. I am at the end of the 3rd level and it is amazing. I am playing through on hardcore and doing all the declassified missions and it is so much fun. The smart spawn system even makes dying less annoying. I love the variety in the encounters and how differently they can play out. I want PCF to do the campaign for Gears 4 now, they totally nailed this one so far.

Anyone else having trouble with declassified missions counting? Me and my friend have completed the same number of chapters but have different numbers of completed declassified missions?

Dead

well not really...yet
I dunno whether to just fuck it and do all declassified missions to start with or just go vanilla, and save declassified for a 2nd playthrough (that I will probably never get to...lol)

XxCGSxX

I have a Young Marcus code and I'm looking to trade it for Anya or Alex Brand for my GF, pm me if interested, will throw in a web skin too.

Moofers

Just sank an hour an a half into Survival. Jury says: "Meh".

Pros:

-Classes are fun. I like the special abilities that give everyone a specific role.
-Its very action-packed and constant. Maps are small, so the enemies are never far away.
-No VIP playlist for this.

Cons:

-Of the 4 classes, only 3 are useful (scout sucks)
-Needs MORE classes because you always double up on at least 1. Or at the very least, let us pick character skins that are class neutral.
-Protecting covers and generators is a fucking copout way to make the mode tough. Its like trying to protect a box of tissues in a burning building. Doesn't matter how good you are, the enemies always get in and wreck that shit, period. Wretches hop over fences, Corpsers burrow under them, and your engineers repair fences very slowly. The deck is totally stacked which I wouldn't have a problem with if it weren't so obvious and didn't feel so lazy.
-No more picking your own fortifications or earning money to spend between rounds. Say goodbye to variety and spontaneity.
-Defense points are very similar in some maps. One in particular is like the same spot done 3 times. This is especially painfull when you've only got 4 maps to begin with.

Horde 2.0 is hard because eventually you get overrun by enemies, but there's always hope that you can persevere through skill and quick thinking. Not to mention great planning with your pre-round purchases. Survival is all about keeping those stupid objectives safe which feels cheap as hell since a lot of it is out of your control no matter how skilled you are.

Disappointing to say the least. Still fun, but feels like a lot of wasted potential and new ideas that the game is worse off for having entertained.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm liking the 4 Deathmatch/FFA maps so far. Really different from the Gears norm.

FFA in general is fucking hilarious. Complete clusterfuck.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Played some Overrun demo earlier, and thought it was not too bad, but it seemed very stitched together almost. Not like other class based shooters, everything was covered in a layer of jank I felt. I was still having fun and almost thought of buying it, but then I remembered the 4 maps shit. 4 fucking maps. I'd pay $40 for this game, so I really have to wait till it retails at $20 to get the full experience, which who the fuck knows how many people will still be playing it. This will be the first time I skip a Gears game. Gears 1 was what made me get a 360 and is my second most played game of all time. Really disappointed here.

Poker360

Really digging the multiplayer.

Still frustrating to make me curse, but still fun enough to keep me playing.

FFA is a really fun new addition, and i like how team deathmatch is actually team deathmatch.
Tweaks have made it more fast paced and been having a lot more gnasher battles than in gears 3.

Overall, feels a little less polished than gears 3 tho, and not nearly as much content.

-PXG-

B B B B B B B B B B

Ladies and gentlemen. The two piece is fucking back.

This it's probably the worst thing about that game.

Other than, gimme more maps and Locusts in competitive modes. That's it

Just sank an hour an a half into Survival. Jury says: "Meh".
I dived straight into Survival when I opened the game and it was a disappointment compared to Horde Mode 2.0, they took so many steps back and cut back on so many features. I had to take a break from it cos it just wasn't much fun, came back for some Overrun which turned out to be a very pleasant surprise, especially when you play as the Locust, to see the clock ticking down as you desperately try to break down the enemy's defense is quite intense, or as the COG trying to hold out for victory when there's only 5 seconds left and your base is at 5%. Overrun feels better balanced than Survival since most people won't have the patience to save up enough points to unlock the more powerful Locust like the Corpsers, so the COG actually have a better chance of surviving, and winning or losing really comes down to how well both teams play, not depends on how many overpowered enemies the AI can throw at you like in Survival.

I still want a more traditional Horde Mode though. Who knows, maybe they'll put a Horde Mode Judgement in the DLCs.

This is exactly what I wanted out of this campaign. Just enough story to hang things together, but the focus is on crazy combat encounters and replayability and mastery, with a nice mix of offensive and defensive objectives. Battle spaces are suitably large and/or multi-layered, and you'll need to watch your flanks and rear because you can never be sure what the game is going to throw at you, or from which direction. You *will* be caught off guard if you're not keeping your head on a swivel.

Playing solo is absolutely do-able (am doing my usual first run on hardcore, no declassified missions), but you can tell every bit of this is built for and shines in co-op. Friendly AI is quick to recover you, but enemy AI can be suicidal in their single-minded rushes to take down whatever they determine to be enemy #1, even if that means running right past other gears.

So its not the cat and mouse risk/reward of moving cover to cover and rushing of Gears 1 on legendary, but bite sized, intense combat encounters, one after another without all the slow walks and cut-scenes.

You get scored on each checkpoint, which is very frequent, but I'm not sure whether the model and skin unlocks you gain by leveling up are purely for multiplayer versus or not.

Mood is Gears 1, with the colors and scale of Gears 3, and the action of Horde, only mixing both assault and defense to keep things interesting. To rank up and unlock Aftermath you need stars, so that means not getting dropped, taking out groups with heavy weapons and frags, headshots and executions for decent scores.

So far I'm loving it. Won't know until I replay the campaign with different difficulties, objectives and solo/co-op whether this has real legs to it, but its been a fun, smooth, gory ride.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The lack of locust is the only real head scratcher for me so far. Otherwise I am very positive overall on the changes with active reload, grenade tagging being gone outside of campaign, and I also have yet to see a single sawn off. Loadout changes might be scaring them away.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Sorry PXG and Blaze for not joining earlier. Had a full room going

Btw, stim grenade + gnasher can be crazy combo at times.

malfcn

It kind of bugs me when it is human on human. The queues throw me off. Before if I heard a grunt or swearing I knew if it was friend or foe. Now I don't know because they are all swearing or bantering etc.

Killer

Banned
Does the multiplayer have dedicated servers? Gow 3 was really smooth cross continents. Also any gold deal on xbl gold around? I have halo 4 trial but I don't know how long it last.

Dead

well not really...yet
Holy shit, prices for the weapon and character skins on live are utterly disgusting. 320 to 400 msp? Plus there are so few to unlock in game...get fucked!

Holy shit, prices for the weapon and character skins on live are utterly disgusting. 320 to 400 msp? Plus there are so few to unlock in game...get fucked!

No likey? No buyey ;)

I'm happy with my skeleton glow and I can't remember what weapon I have. Shows how much I care.... Peeps must have bought gears 3 stuff for them to do it again, consumers fault!

I doubt it's a mistake. Gears 3 had a similarly ridiculous priced skin pack, I think it was 3600 points. 1200 for sets of gun skins and 320 for animated packs.

Ugh, shameful. Why aren't they tied to XP or in game unlocks when you complete challenges? I've never really paid much attention to the DLC for Gears games, but this is damn shameful.

It took my brother and I 5 hours on hardcore difficulty to beat the first campaign. We did all of the declassified missions except for one, and we took a few breaks.

Very short game. It felt like the amount of area that we covered during a mission was incredibly short. It was very disconnected. We would be in one area, kill the locust, and then move on to the end of the level and get shown our progress on stars. It's hard to describe.

The story was pretty lackluster and I didn't care much about the characters, even Baird and Cole. Paduk was probably my favorite character.

Spoiler:

how did Karn survive the lightmass missle? When he came back I was assuming he'd be a lambant but it looked like he didn't even have a scratch on him!

The next few days I'll play some more multiplayer. I REALLY enjoy survival much more than horde.

newsguy

So GAF seems to have soured on this one pretty quickly. I picked it up last night when the hype here was positive and I played the overrun demo. Are you guys saying that's the only good thing about this game? If so I'll return it and wait for Bioshock.

-PXG-

A lot of my friends were getting pissed at the constant melees and two piecing. Seriously, it is obnoxious. I still manage to get MVP and the wipe the floor with people. However, it would be nice if others weren't always swinging for the fences every fucking second.Then again, it's a a new game. A lot of fresh meat and launch day scrubs. Overall, this game has a ton of potential.They'll be gone in a few weeks.

They need to fix a few things, namely the two piece. Just bring back the Gears 3 delay. And again...

MORE MAPS! COG VS LOCUST!

I played a few matches of FFA and I loved it. Seeing 2 people fighting below you, and dropping down and killing them both is so good. No way will I ever go back to the older Gears games for mp now. This feels so much more intense.

I had a lot of lag last night and it may have been a connection issue so I'm still reserving...ahem....judgement

But my issues are

The game seems so ridiculously ADHD/Corny. Like I fucking hate the character skins and lack of locusts. It just makes everything seem like a complete cluster fuck. In the past games you could tell if you were getting flanked based on if they sounded human or like a Locust, and that's completely out now.

- Absolutely ridiculously retarded thought process of removing multiple primaries. The game was going to be shotgun centric enough without removing any semblance of balanced combat .

- The tug of war aspect of the game that makes Gears what it is appears to be gone. That intricate aspect of running through assymetrical maps in order to make a decision on boomshot or torque, perhaps grab frags, etc. THIS IS WHAT GEARS FUCKING IS. The game is ADHD now. Everyone running around in their fruity fucking rainbow suits dropping from heaven.

My question is--who were these changes made for? It couldn't have been for the competitive community. We didn't ask for two pieces, no locusts, non symmetrical maps or primaries.

The casuals sure as fuck didn't want to have to choose between primary weapons, only to get destroyed by shotgunners while they try to mow them down with a lancer, or to get gunned down from range while trying to get a handle on the shotgun.

yo

fuck

All the haters above loved gears 2 Nd 3, they prefer the fluffy bunny style game play.

Judgement is tailored to the gears 1 player, the fast aggressive style play.

For me it is the best in series and the two piece is back baby!!!! Hell yeah!

Me (left) and SouSouRocket (right) at a GoW:J launch event at the Microsoft Store last night.

qQyzMvw.jpg

Still got to finish tomb raider before cracking it open, but can't wait...

That is fantastic.

All the haters above loved gears 2 Nd 3, they prefer the fluffy bunny style game play.

Judgement is tailored to the gears 1 player, the fast aggressive style play.

For me it is the best in series and the two piece is back baby!!!! Hell yeah!
This post gave me cancer. The two piece being back while the gnasher itself takes tons of shots to kill someone was probably the worst thing they could have done save for removing it.

Moofers

What the hell is the 2-piece? I keep reading this and I have no fucking idea what people are talking about, and I'm a goddamn Gears veteran!

What the hell is the 2-piece? I keep reading this and I have no fucking idea what people are talking about, and I'm a goddamn Gears veteran!

It was a big thing in Gears 1 where a player could melee another player up close and get a brief moment after it to fire their shotgun resulting in something like a one, two punch. It was fairly easy and very exploitable. They fixed the problem in later sequels by adding a brief firing delay after a melee hit. Correct me if I am wrong on any of that.

I actually haven't seen much two piecing in Judgement yet surprisingly enough.

Top Bottom