• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition |OT| Welcome back to the army, soldier

keezy

Forgot how awful I am at the MP in this game...

Literally can't think of another shooter that I'm worse at lol.

Good. It's a support weapon.

Shouldnt be. I should be able to kill people with that weapon too. Im spawning with it.

MP In general IMO is just horrible. Hit detection ass, people playing this like its a MLG 10k tournament etc
I dont get how some can play this MP for hours.

Zombine

Banned
people who are good at multiplayer...

should i be using anything BUT the shotgun?

It's all about the proximity of the enemy and punishing them for trying to gain too much ground too fast. If you see someone 20 feet away rushing at you, don't give them the satisfaction of a shotgun battle you may lose. Punish them with your lancer.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Shouldnt be. I should be able to kill people with that weapon too. Im spawning with it.

MP In general IMO is just horrible. Hit detection ass, people playing this like its a MLG 10k tournament etc
You also spawn with a pistol and a smoke grenade. Doesn't mean they're the primary killing weapons. You *can* kill people with a lancer. It just doesn't come nearly as easily because, again, Gears of War is not about shooting. It's about movement. If you just spray with your lancer, people maneuver and kill you with a pistol just like that. The gnasher is just much more effective as a kill weapon and no one has time to deal with someone spraying their machine gun when there's other people hunting you (or other people to kill).

The MP in Gears of War is very intimate in its combat, and as such close quarters is the name of the game more than 75% of the time. If you don't agree...then you will get run up on quick.

people who are good at multiplayer...

should i be using anything BUT the shotgun?
You can use whatever you want. If you want a primary part of the action, though, either:

A) Get very good with power weapons and understand how they play a part in map control
B) Use the gnasher

If you want to play a support role, use whatever you want. Even a snub can be effective for getting a headshot on a weakened opponent from far.

It's all about the proximity of the enemy and punishing them for trying to gain too much ground too fast. If you see someone 20 feet away rushing at you, don't give them the satisfaction of a shotgun battle you may lose. Punish them with your lancer.
With no stopping power and a weaker lancer in this one, I think that this strategy will fall short against an experienced player. Rushing will almost always be angled due to wall bouncing and almost 100% of the time an effective wallbounce or roadie run into leap will be faster than how fast you can aim with your lancer. By the time they're in your face, the pressure to switch to a shotgun will increase and by that time...spectating.

Wizman23

Banned
Got Dam is that MP just fluid and buttery smooth. I'm really digging the UI too. The Coalition is really going to knock Gears 4 outta the park I can already tell.

Fluze

Banned
Anyone else a bit surprised by The Coalition's promotion of traditional Gears gameplay (shotty/gnasher dominant in MP). I mean, they've put up videos actually referencing wallbouncing, gnasher spread and general movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wx-cekqsWA

Epic never did this, they tried to turn Gears into a more methodical, tactics-based shooter, akin to RSV. Cliffy specifically, hated the shotgun.

Looks like the Lancer is taking a backseat to the Gnasher as the poster weapon of the Gears franchise under TC's hand. Truly interesting times.

I love gnasher play and I consider myself a vet but I hope Gears of War 4 is something more.

Z_Y

I started playing the original a couple of weeks ago when it became BC. Got a little over an hour in and realized I had all the SP achievements so I decided to save myself for the re-master.

I tried to hold out on picking up a cheap digital code (due to it being a pack-in) in a couple of weeks....or resist the deluxe edition with the Aaron Griffin skin...

I was not able to. pre-purchased at 11:45pm last night. $60 for a game that I have finished many times. Don't even care. Probably my favorite series in gaming. Worth it.

Warxard

Banned

Stop using Lancer to get kills. Use it to supplement and assist for downs. It doesn't have the same stopping power like in 3.

Learn the Gnasher. Learn how to move and swivel between cover. Learn the map. Know when to push and when to spray.

If you don't want to do this, you should NOT be playing Gears of War.

Ecto311

Is there a gore filter still? Got a kid now and she's seen gorey shit before but it would be nice to limit the gore for when she's around.

E92 M3

Boomshot has no splash in this match..

They nerfed and simplified some stuff. For instance, I hate how enemies light up in the distance. I've won so many 1v4s in the past, but now it's a lot harder to do because everyone is a beacon.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Is there a gore filter still? Got a kid now and she's seen gorey shit before but it would be nice to limit the gore for when she's around.

347803363_pghtX-1050x10000.jpg

I talked with support and I don't think my Xbox has been shipped. The issue has been sent to the "escalation team" whatever that means. I just want to play Gears. I don't ask for much in this world.

GravyButt

Whats up with the unbalanced teams or the teams not reshuffling? I honestly don't remember that far back though. Social btw. Seems like it's always a one sided slaughter fest (which I definitely do remember not being the case)

M52B28

Banned
Stop using Lancer to get kills. Use it to supplement and assist for downs. It doesn't have the same stopping power like in 3.

Learn the Gnasher. Learn how to move and swivel between cover. Learn the map. Know when to push and when to spray.

If you don't want to do this, you should NOT be playing Gears of War.
Basically.

The maps on Gears of War mainly support close quarters, that, in hand, makes the Ghnasher the noodles in the chicken noodle soup. Use the Lancer to sort your buddies when they're in sticky situations like being put up against multiple people with shotguns. That way, the Lancer will force a few baddies to fall back.
I think they should, though I don't know what it's like. On the original Gears, the content filter set to on would get rid of dismemberment and make blood turn into sparks. Really strange looking.

eshwaaz

"Pitching Gears 1 was hard. New IP, new camera, new campaign, new MP, new console, etc...On paper it was set to fail."

And look what it became. Still makes me sad/angry that MS canceled a promising new IP in favor of another Gears.

Heysoos

So last night I did a couple of "Xbox Record that". The clips are on my console, but they won't show up on like Xbxdvr or if I try to save them in upload studio is just tells me that my captures weren't saved. Anyone ever run into this?

Fluze

Banned
"Pitching Gears 1 was hard. New IP, new camera, new campaign, new MP, new console, etc...On paper it was set to fail."

And look what it became. Still makes me sad/angry that MS canceled a promising new IP in favor of another Gears.

What did it become?

Hawk269

Have not played MP yet, just some SP so far, but does anyone else feel the audio seems a little off? It does not have the impact that the original had, seems like all the sounds are a little muted. I turned up the settings, but something in the audio seems off. Not sure if they got a bad 7.1 mix, but I know it is not my equipment since everything else is fine.

Have not played MP yet, just some SP so far, but does anyone else feel the audio seems a little off? It does not have the impact that the original had, seems like all the sounds are a little muted. I turned up the settings, but something in the audio seems off. Not sure if they got a bad 7.1 mix, but I know it is not my equipment since everything else is fine.

Weird. I thought the opposite. If anything the sound mix is amped too much. I noticed the same thing in the beta.

shoreu

Shotgun duels bra gotta learn the dance.

I really wish MS would confirm some PC specifics. As someone who owns both Xbone and PC, I want this game to be cross buy. I would buy it right now for Xbone if it was. All of my friends want to play this on PC so theres no way I'm buying it on Xbone to play with no one.

eshwaaz

What did it become?
It became a huge, highly regarded franchise. Meant it in a positive way - that MS took a risk, and it paid off in a big way.

I'm not saying that (studio formerly known as) Black Tusk's new IP was guaranteed to be great, but it does irk me a bit that it didn't get the same chance as Gears.

shoreu

How did we know it was promising? All we got was a cg trailer. I thought gaf hates those.

How did we know it was promising? All we got was a cg trailer. I thought gaf hates those.

Some people hate CG trailers but then the same people will also often criticise every aspect of games where we get to see them a year before launch, somehow being surprised that a game with 12 months+ on development isn't in fact finished.

We'll never know what that IP was going to be but The Coalition seem quite happy so... I can't wait for Gears 4 next year.

Played multiplayer for an hour last night and man, I feel the addiction sinking in.

Gears is still one of the few series that really gets me addicted to competive multiplayer. I enjoy plenty of multiplayer games but very few of these games will hold my attention for months on end like gears does.

Great to finally have it at 60 FPS too.

papo

Played some last night. Started on hardcore, but couldn't get past the first real emergence hole section where you are at a round structure thing.

I had to go to sleep, but the game is looking 'as good' as I remember feeling it looked when I played it back in the day. I guess that is good, but I hope GoW4 is a real looker.

kodecraft

Played some last night. Started on hardcore, but couldn't get past the first real emergence hole section where you are at a round structure thing.

I had to go to sleep, but the game is looking 'as good' as I remember feeling it looked when I played it back in the day. I guess that is good, but I hope GoW4 is a real looker.

I think Gears 4 will look just like this one, but you know, just part 4. I'm OK with that.

jesu

I played the original on hardcore a couple of days ago and got stuck there too.
Managed to skip to the second chapter and managed that on hardcore but it looks like I'll be starting this new version on normal.

hows the matchmaking going fellas?

im pretty shitty and would like to get matched with shitty people, am i going to just get stomped?

how matchmaking hasnt improved this gen that much idk

angelic

Banned
Question: bought game from cdkeys, redeemed and preloaded on UK xbox. If I switch the region to US and it lets me start playing, will I be stuck on US servers even after I switch back on Friday?

GravyButt

hows the matchmaking going fellas?

im pretty shitty and would like to get matched with shitty people, am i going to just get stomped?

how matchmaking hasnt improved this gen that much idk
If it's been going like it's been going for me thus far this am, prepare to be gibbed a lot!

shoreu

Some people hate CG trailers but then the same people will also often criticise every aspect of games where we get to see them a year before launch, somehow being surprised that a game with 12 months+ on development isn't in fact finished.

We'll never know what that IP was going to be but The Coalition seem quite happy so... I can't wait for Gears 4 next year.

Yeah I know man it gets really aggravating. They chose job security so I wish people would get off their ass for it.

Question: bought game from cdkeys, redeemed and preloaded on UK xbox. If I switch the region to US and it lets me start playing, will I be stuck on US servers even after I switch back on Friday?

You can press Y on the main menu and pick what server you want to play on. Also switching your region shouldn't change when it unlocks. It should be from which region the code is. Mine unlocked on Monday because I got mine off the HK store but my console is still set to UK.

angelic

Banned
You can press Y on the main menu and pick what server you want to play on. Also switching your region shouldn't change when it unlocks. It should be from which region the code is. Mine unlocked on Monday because I got mine off the HK store but my console is still set to UK.

Got you, cheers. Switching to US didn't even work just out of interest with a cdkeys code. Ah well.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Anyone else a bit surprised by The Coalition's promotion of traditional Gears gameplay (shotty/gnasher dominant in MP). I mean, they've put up videos actually referencing wallbouncing, gnasher spread and general movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wx-cekqsWA

Epic never did this, they tried to turn Gears into a more methodical, tactics-based shooter, akin to RSV. Cliffy specifically, hated the shotgun.

Looks like the Lancer is taking a backseat to the Gnasher as the poster weapon of the Gears franchise under TC's hand. Truly interesting times.

I love gnasher play and I consider myself a vet but I hope Gears of War 4 is something more.

It's tough to say how this will play out, but I am pleased that Gears 1 MP plays like Gears 1 MP.

Just curious, what's the deal with the other 4 games you supposedly get with this. Are they only available through BC? I ask because I just picked it up and I was expecting some codes inside or something?

Jawmuncher

Picked it up at 9 and put in all my codes. Plopped it in the X1 and it got to about 60% installed before I had to leave. Can't wait to go home and play it.

Top Bottom