• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition |OT| Welcome back to the army, soldier

Nori Chan

It's amazing how smooth the game is. Played for 2 and half hours last night and did not experience a single lag spike.

if i lose a shotgun battle its because i'm trash lol

They will send out download tokens for them at some point

Cool, thanks.

I just tried to play multiplayer and it said not enough of the game had been downloaded yet and asked if I wanted to prioritize multiplayer or single player. I've never seen that before. Thought it was kind of cool.

Man, reading impressions makes me feel good about the game.

It's downloading right now... I can't wait to finish work and run at home for some Gears of War action !!!

Avari

Whats up with the dump Ai at the first bezerker encounter? I dont remember it so complicated to get her at the doors. Last door took me 3 minutes lol

Conversely I had no problem with the Bezerker AI but my AI partner repeatedly stood in a doorway and would get squished.

Avari

Anyone else a bit surprised by The Coalition's promotion of traditional Gears gameplay (shotty/gnasher dominant in MP). I mean, they've put up videos actually referencing wallbouncing, gnasher spread and general movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wx-cekqsWA

Epic never did this, they tried to turn Gears into a more methodical, tactics-based shooter, akin to RSV. Cliffy specifically, hated the shotgun.

Looks like the Lancer is taking a backseat to the Gnasher as the poster weapon of the Gears franchise under TC's hand. Truly interesting times.

I love gnasher play and I consider myself a vet but I hope Gears of War 4 is something more.

Not really - it is a Gears 1 re-master after all. The other games pushed other weapons but it has still always been gnasher dominated. Cliff Bleszinski has since stated he regrets trying to force people to play a certain way - a sentiment I strongly agree with. I love the gnasher focus - almost every other shooter has an assault type weapon as the primary weapon type. The other weapons work well in Gears, who just have to know when to use them.

Played some multiplayer matches last night and was absolutely shocked that there were actually people talking in the lobby instead of huddled off in a party. Good to see that back again in Gears, the community for the series has always been great.

Nori Chan

it's pretty much KOTH isn't it? been a while since I played it.

Annex was designed to give gears a respawn MP mode and now that we have KOTH and team DM we kind of don't need it.

then how are we supposed to get the achievement for playing 3 full rounds of it haha

Annoying that this is not in the uk until friday, i'm itching to pick it up the more I watch streams of it.

Conversely I had no problem with the Bezerker AI but my AI partner repeatedly stood in a doorway and would get squished.

sounds like gears 1 AI, when replaying the BC version last week dom would stand in doorways, sounds like they didn't touch on it much.

Best way to get the berzerker to follow is to use the snub or magnum and pot shot it, there's also glass on the floor you can walk on to make a crunch noise, usually helps.

then how are we supposed to get the achievement for playing 3 full rounds of it haha

oh! well then lol maybe it's coming or hidden somewhere.

Played this shit last night, good lord the amount of fun and adrenaline I had in the MP was amazing. 4v4 really brings the good heat in this game, it was a lot of fun didn't want to put it down but had to come into work today.

Looking forward to hitting it up tonight, if anyone is interesting in making some teams hit me up, me and my boys always looking.

Oh for those who can check, how did they adjust the shotgun after the beta feedback? does it shoot from the barrel now? can someone kindly shoot point blank into a wall from the hip?

leeh

Anyone else a bit surprised by The Coalition's promotion of traditional Gears gameplay (shotty/gnasher dominant in MP). I mean, they've put up videos actually referencing wallbouncing, gnasher spread and general movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wx-cekqsWA

Epic never did this, they tried to turn Gears into a more methodical, tactics-based shooter, akin to RSV. Cliffy specifically, hated the shotgun.

Looks like the Lancer is taking a backseat to the Gnasher as the poster weapon of the Gears franchise under TC's hand. Truly interesting times.

I love gnasher play and I consider myself a vet but I hope Gears of War 4 is something more.
Nooooooo. We don't have any game which has the combat style like Gears. Nothing plays like it.

We need the Gears formula, just worked on. For example, Gears 3 but without that awful sawn-off. Give us some larger BTB style mode but with large maps with tight passages and open space for more power weapons. I'd love that.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
So we can't have separate multiplayer co-op and single player campaign save files? Lame.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Also, did anyone try out 2v2 yesterday? My buddy and I broke in UE yesterday for an hour (so much more to come today after work), and inbetween a couple of execution rounds, we tried it.

It was quite excellent. It being on boxes, with execution rules and Gnashers only was something to behold. The map is CRAZY small and perfect for the game type. Some rounds literally ended in less than 10 seconds. This gametype is Gears at its purest, no BS, just straight into the close quarters where movement and gnashers are the lifeblood of success.

I want them to create a couple more maps just for this gametype. I could see a mini-Raven down working very well on it.

DirtyLarry

So I left work a little before my lunch break started so I could go pick up the game from my local Best Buy, and this is what was at the front door.

Ld4b.jpg

Apparently one lone individual from the local fire department came in and told them the store was being shut down for violating a fire code. They are doing renovations so he said it had something to do with that. The employee I talked with at the front door said it seemed very fishy, that the dude refused to show any ID, etc., and seemed to have a huge chip on his shoulder and that this individual's actions seemed "personal." It sounds like to me someone got burned by the Geek Squad and worked for the local fire department and decided to take matters into his own hand.

Meanwhile I could not pick up my game, they could not give me any indication as to if they may be opened later, and even if they were, the reason I went at lunch time was I have an appointment tonight at 5 PM I cannot be late to.

So thanks Best Buy. Or rather crazy fire marshall man who decided to close the store down on his own.

Special C

1. Does it have Warzone Mode?
2. Did they get rid of that terrible glow from the beta?
3. Did they keep sniper active downs in?

If all 3 of those are yes then I'm all in. If not then I'm passing.

Karak

The AI is handled slightly differently than in the 360 game and its much worse for it. Pretty much the main negative in my review. I have hours of footage of Dom, falling into lava, hiding at the starting of the level, not moving forward, hiding behind a bunker and never moving., Frankly just being a Dom Coward

First physical copy of a X1 game that I've bought in awhile. Just a subtle reminder of how dog shit slow the Install times still are on the X1 compared to the PS4. Can't wait to dive in the crispy campaign here in a few :)

jesu

4 people on TA have achievements for winning on Annex somehow.
They all got it before release date though.
Could the day one patch done something to make it disappear maybe...

So I can buy a used copy for $20 or whatever in three or four months, play it once on Live by Dec 31, and get the Gears 1-4 downloads?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. I think they took it out. I'm 50/50 on that myself. If that one thing keeps you from buying the game though... lol

Not really - it is a Gears 1 re-master after all. The other games pushed other weapons but it has still always been gnasher dominated. Cliff Bleszinski has since stated he regrets trying to force people to play a certain way - a sentiment I strongly agree with. I love the gnasher focus - almost every other shooter has an assault type weapon as the primary weapon type. The other weapons work well in Gears, who just have to know when to use them.

I always preferred the Sawd-off anyway. Gnasher is such a damn good gun it defeats the point of the Lancer.

jesu

Annex is usually 2 rounds as well in terms of matchmaking so I'm not sure how we would get it anyway

There is 2 achievements for Annex

Win 20 rounds in Annex on Xbox Live by shutting out the opposing team

Complete 100 multiplayer matches of 3+ rounds in Annex and capture 3 objectives in each match

kingwingin

Woke up bright and early today to play through the campaign on insane. Just started act 3 and so far this game has been a breeze, feels like they toned down the difficulty.

Teammate Ai is total trash. Constantly running infront of the camera messing up my shots!

The 360 version is my most played game of all time and I hope this version will top that

pizzacat

Banned
There is 2 achievements for Annex

Win 20 rounds in Annex on Xbox Live by shutting out the opposing team

Complete 100 multiplayer matches of 3+ rounds in Annex and capture 3 objectives in each match
Yeah those are straight out of gears 1

The second one says we need to complete 100 matches of 3+ rounds

Annex has always had 2 rounds just like KoTH (which has changed to 1), in terms of matchmaking, unless we have to get it on private matches or they're adding searchable custom matches, there's no way to get that achievement even if we had annex

Nori Chan

Yeah those are straight out of gears 1

The second one says we need to complete 100 matches of 3+ rounds

Annex has always had 2 rounds just like KoTH (which has changed to 1), in terms of matchmaking, unless we have to get it on private matches or they're adding searchable custom matches, there's no way to get that achievement even if we had annex

Don't you mean 3? Since each team can get one win and then play a third round to win it all?

shoreu

Oh for those who can check, how did they adjust the shotgun after the beta feedback? does it shoot from the barrel now? can someone kindly shoot point blank into a wall from the hip?

They seemed to have fixed the spread a tad. I haven't tried the wall thing yet.

shoreu

1. Yes
2. Yes I don't remember seeing it last night
3. No it's gone and I hope it stays that way.

they took it out because the userbase told them to and it was a shitty design chose to begin with. I actually wondered why it was kept around in the original game.

Anybody having clips automatically upload whenever you get a grenade tag kill? It happens to me every single time.

man, auto uploads should only happen if you quad kill the opposing team or something else equally amazing, not a silly grenade tag :/

When will devs learn :(

Top Bottom