• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition |OT| Welcome back to the army, soldier

Man I suck at this online. I feel no matter how many shots I take at someone they just don't drop. I don't remember being this bad on the original. I guess I'll just blame old age :)

keezy

Man I suck at this online. I feel no matter how many shots I take at someone they just don't drop. I don't remember being this bad on the original. I guess I'll just blame old age :)

If it makes you feel better there's no possible way you're worse than me lol.

Curious if the Gnasher works just like it did I. Gears 3. Sometimes I feel like I'm right on somebody, and hip fire right fucking past them. Any ideas?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So how do I access my free copy of Gears 1? I'm in the preview program.

I seem to read that Judgement is also BC now.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

If it makes you feel better there's no possible way you're worse than me lol.
I'm probably shittier than both of you. I frequently end up with no kills and am often dead weight on a winning team.

1 on 1 matches end up being stat boosters for the opposing player.

Curious if the Gnasher works just like it did I. Gears 3. Sometimes I feel like I'm right on somebody, and hip fire right fucking past them. Any ideas?

gears 1 shotgun shoots from the camera over the sholder and it's the most annoying bullshit ever, they should have fixed it for this version.

example from the beta:

bRpzbPd.jpg

gears 1 shotgun shoots from the camera over the sholder and it's the most annoying bullshit ever, they should have fixed it for this version.

example from the beta:

bRpzbPd.jpg

Well, fuck. This is probably why I didn't like the beta, because I was missing a ton of shots that should have hit. Wow.

angelic

Banned
Gears 1 shotgun shoots at the centre of the screen - always. Changing it would not be gears, and its actually easier to predict where you shoot. ALWAYS centre, none of this spinning round looking where a barrel points to.

If youre not sure, tape something to the centre of the screen

Gears 1 shotgun shoots at the centre of the screen - always. Changing it would not be gears, and its actually easier to predict where you shoot. ALWAYS centre, none of this spinning round looking where a barrel points to.

gears 3 has bullets from the barrel right? because that felt fine to me, again it's been a while since I played gears 3.

It should shoot like gears 3...

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Gears 1 aiming is archaic. It was fixed.

It might as well not even show the character if the bullets are just going to fly out of nowhere.

Fluze

Banned
It should shoot like gears 3...

It should shoot how the original did. I don't understand all the hoopla about center-screen vs from the barrel, I adapted just fine with Judgement (center-screen) after playing Gears 3 for awhile (barrel). Neither fixed the Gnasher's issues, there is just something inherently wrong with the weapon. I doubt it's just servers, connection etc.

Since this is a Gears 1 remaster, it really shouldn't.
Because it's not like they didn't add features from other gears to this "remaster"...It should shoot like gears 3. I can play it either way, but it doesn't change the fact that gears 3 did the gnasher better imo.

pizzacat

Banned
I've read in the gears forums that the way it shoots depends on if you aim or not

One shoots from the middle and one shoots from the shotgun

Or it's based off proximity I forgot

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Because it's not like they didn't add features from other gears to this "remaster"...It should shoot like gears 3. I can play it either way, but it doesn't change the fact that gears 3 did the gnasher better imo.
And I think Gears 1 did the Gnasher better. And if it's about priority where "either flies"...I think the Gears 1 feature should get the priority (because again, it's a Gears 1 remake).

I'm not sure what other features they really added to the gameplay (Besides spotting, and that's a very minor addition)...The things they did add are just about modernizing the experience and making sure it's not the exact same game that came out 9 years ago. Not lifting features from the other games that will affect how the first game plays.

And I think Gears 1 did the Gnasher better. And if it's about priority where "either flies"...I think the Gears 1 feature should get the priority (because again, it's a Gears 1 remake).

I'm not sure what other features they really added to the gameplay (Besides spotting, and that's a very minor addition)...The things they did add are just about modernizing the experience and making sure it's not the exact same game that came out 9 years ago. Not lifting features from the other games that will affect how the first game plays.
Opinions are opinions I guess..I like my rounds to come from the barrel, not from a Hud camera. Wonder how many people will grab a piece of tape like back in the day, for a makeshift ridicule lol.

The Goat

example from the beta:

bRpzbPd.jpg

If that's the case, then it makes sense why I feel all my shots go through and rarely land. I do get a lot of headshots hip firing. Seems like something they should have adjusted.

Tomash

I think that Ultimate Edition is using hybrid barrel/centre screen aiming system from Judgment, I tried to backpack in private match but it didn't work.

It's pretty dumb though. And it was always dumb which is why they rightfully changed it and then changed it back in the worst Gears. Did they fix the thing where you could kill people without turning around because it came from the center of the screen?

I think that Ultimate Edition is using hybrid barrel/centre screen aiming system from Judgment, I tried to backpack in private match but it didn't work.
Yea bullets come from the hud center, not the actually barrel...............Thought they'd use the fixed version after the beta.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Looking forward to the PC release.

I was too...

A: As it stands, Gears of War 4 has not been announced for PC so no beta is included.

Gears 2/3/Judgment are not available on PC so they are not included with the PC version (neither is the original PC version of Gears 1).

Q: Have Microsoft/The Coalition been pesky and limited the frame-rate and resolution options of Gears of War Ultimate Edition on PC? Is it Windows 10 only?

A: It supports up to 4k resolution with frame-rate unlocking as well as keyboard/mouse and controller options (Source). The game is exclusive to Windows 10 on PC though due to utilising DX12

I've already played Gears 1, the prospect of 2&3 were enticing to me, but I don't want to replay for this. Plus I don't plan on migrating to Win10 for a while.

I played the original on XBOX as well, I forgot it ever had a PC release. I wonder why it didn't get more rep. What happened? Did they shut down the servers or something?

There was trick you could do where:
If you aim the sight of the Longshot, then put blutac in the very center of the crosshair on your TV, THEN get into cover and aim with the blutac, you could blind fire in cover with a more accurate reading of where you're bullet was going to land.

well the new style is more like gears 3, brighter, less deep black shadows on everything and a lot more colour pop, gears 1 originally was a dark and gritty looking game for the most part.

Yeah pretty much. I think that was also in part because Epic managed to push out of the UE3 with Gears 2. It really showed too. Gears 2 and 3 really are beautiful at times (regardless of what Jim thinks).

malfcn

One of the Locust has hit detection problem. The guy with the scarf? Head shot went through the back of his head and no damage.

Obscura

Anyone else seeing the same few maps over and over? Social warzone has been gold rush, process, subway and escalation twice. Haven't seen anything else. I need gridlock, canals and mansion damnit!

jacobeid

Banned
They will send out download tokens for them at some point

So there isn't a separate download code included in the box that gives you access to the 4 games once they're added to BC this fall? Microsoft just reads if you've played the game online before 12/31 and you'll gain access to them?

My copy should be on my doorstep when I get home from work :)

malfcn

What is with the random Uploads? I just frag tagged 2 guys and got a some random Upload that was in German?

And terrible team mates stealing kills with Torque that kills you (enemy splash).

Neil_J_UK

From the UK and ordered this from the US store because it's cheaper - I didn't realise I'd get to download and play this now. I was sure that, unlike on PSN, buying from other regions doesn't bypass the later release date. I'm sure that's how it was for Halo.

DirtyLarry

And the Best Buy I preordered it from is still fucking closed because of some fire marshall closing it down. Unbelievable.

I may just go pick it up from GameStop and return it when I pick up MGS V next week. What a pain in the ass.

CohesiveShergar

Neo Member
playing through now, last act of chapter 1. The bit where you have to lure the Berserker. Dom keeps getting himself killed and I keep shouting at the screen, just like I remember.

pizzacat

Banned
There's not a list of unlockable characters for MP, right?

I'd love to play as my Mechanic Baird from Gears 3.
I'll keep editing this list but
Unlockable (as of this moment)
Trashball Cole (beta unlock)
Thrashball Drone (beta unlock)
Sam
Dizzy
Prescott
Miner
Beast Rider
Kantus
Jace (just saw a level 25 with him)
Spotter