• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition |OT| Welcome back to the army, soldier

Is Seriously tied to a specific playlist? Have over 1500 kills, but only 550 in KOTH and I got the 550/10000 thing in the corner for the achievement.

NateDrake

Is Seriously tied to a specific playlist? Have over 1500 kills, but only 550 in KOTH and I got the 550/10000 thing in the corner for the achievement.

Has to be in Competitive game modes - social match kills don't count towards Seriously.

Has anyone else experienced the odd glitch of the gun not firing when hitting the trigger. I played earlier today and when I hit the trigger to shoot nothing would happen and I'd have to release and do it again for the game to register the controller input. It screws me over in battles a little too often lately.

goldenpp72

Needs to be in competitive mode, for awhile I played in social in order to play on the maps that weren't rotating in competitive and none of those kills counted it seemed.

Needs to be in competitive mode, for awhile I played in social in order to play on the maps that weren't rotating in competitive and none of those kills counted it seemed.

Has to be in Competitive game modes - social match kills don't count towards Seriously.

Has anyone else experienced the odd glitch of the fun not firing when hitting the trigger. I played earlier today and when I hit the trigger to shoot nothing would happen and I'd have to release and do it again for the game to register the controller input. It screws me over in battles a little too often lately.

All I play is Competitive.

vac

Neo Member

Has anyone else experienced the odd glitch of the fun not firing when hitting the trigger. I played earlier today and when I hit the trigger to shoot nothing would happen and I'd have to release and do it again for the game to register the controller input. It screws me over in battles a little too often lately.

Yes, been happening a lot to me and my buddy. Also sometimes Torque will fire straight away if you start holding trigger straight after a roll, pretty annoying.

Hopefully we'll get some patch details soon

Montresor

After the end of a match, do the teams/rosters get re-organised? Or is it conceivable for a group of four random very good players to stay on the same team match after match winning every match even if they aren't in a party?

Montresor

Depends on who you ask.

For the record I suck at this game so it doesn't benefit me, but I could see good players being happy they get to stick together

This may be a rotten thing to say but I want there to always be a good chance that I can be carried by someone way better than me.

Teams not switching seems insane to me.

I'm pretty bad at this game and I've lost like 5 games in a row today, damn.

pizzacat

Banned
This may be a rotten thing to say but I want there to always be a good chance that I can be carried by someone way better than me.

Teams not switching seems insane to me.

I'm pretty bad at this game and I've lost like 5 games in a row today, damn.
A lot of this game seems lazy. Idk. I still love it

Montresor

A lot of this game seems lazy. Idk. I still love it

Personally I am in love with the single player. It's frigging awesome.

The mutiplayer is great too but I started losing a ton today and so I noticed teams don't switch. I don't understand how that could be a good thing in competitive multiplayer. Darn it.

It's practically a deal breaker. I'll max out the campaign achievements but I'll probably go for bare minimum stuff in the multiplayer unless I became magically insanely good lol.

After the end of a match, do the teams/rosters get re-organised? Or is it conceivable for a group of four random very good players to stay on the same team match after match winning every match even if they aren't in a party?

Nope they stay the same.

I got put on a team with a few other randoms and we ended up winning 9 in a row the other day. Good stuff.

goldenpp72

Personally I am in love with the single player. It's frigging awesome.

The mutiplayer is great too but I started losing a ton today and so I noticed teams don't switch. I don't understand how that could be a good thing in competitive multiplayer. Darn it.

It's practically a deal breaker. I'll max out the campaign achievements but I'll probably go for bare minimum stuff in the multiplayer unless I became magically insanely good lol.

Bad players should lose, it's that simple. Personally i'm pretty good at the game and am getting tired of being stuck with 2 or 3 players who don't know their head from their ass. There have seriously been a TON of games where I outscore my entire team 2x combined with no issues, often the highest scorer in the entire room by a good margin, but I still lose. People who don't follow the objectives, don't know the rules or just can't play for crap. The problem with gears is that it has a higher skill barrier than your average shooter, so becoming good at it takes time and results in often cases good players being dragged down in the process. Basically, why should good players lose because bad players are bad, it seems more natural for bad players to lose to me. Of course, if the game could determine how to blend 2 good and 2 bad players for each team, then I guess that would also be fine.

Of all the shooter series i've played, I feel gears is impacted most by losing a player or having a weak one. I don't mind playing with bad players in social matches, they should switch up teams there, but in ranked they shouldn't mess with established teams that are there to be.. competitive.

Montresor

Bad players should lose, it's that simple. Personally i'm pretty good at the game and am getting tired of being stuck with 2 or 3 players who don't know their head from their ass. There have seriously been a TON of games where I outscore my entire team 2x combined with no issues, often the highest scorer in the entire room by a good margin, but I still lose. People who don't follow the objectives, don't know the rules or just can't play for crap. The problem with gears is that it has a higher skill barrier than your average shooter, so becoming good at it takes time and results in often cases good players being dragged down in the process. Basically, why should good players lose because bad players are bad, it seems more natural for bad players to lose to me. Of course, if the game could determine how to blend 2 good and 2 bad players for each team, then I guess that would also be fine.

Of all the shooter series i've played, I feel gears is impacted most by losing a player or having a weak one. I don't mind playing with bad players in social matches, they should switch up teams there, but in ranked they shouldn't mess with established teams that are there to be.. competitive.

And why should a bad player bother to keep playing if they are matched up against the same exact four players after every match and keep losing?

Keep in mind all of this works the same way in social too. There is a middle ground which you have described but that middle ground isn't in the game. Like you suggested I would like teams switching in social at the very least (while leaving competitive alone).

goldenpp72

Because good players won't just become bad, but bad players can become good with practice. Most of us didn't start the game as some kind of Rambo badass you know, it took some weeks of training to get a legitimate hang of it. Good players should win, bad players should lose, right?

Team switching should be allowed in Social though, i'd have no quarrel with that. The thing is though, I find people learn best when put in the worst situations (unless it's so bad you can't even function).

In gears 1, the most important thing to probably learn for newer people is how to appropriately hip fire, which just requires you to understand where the exact center point of the screen is (a bit to the right of the head of your character), but other than that just learning how to move well on the walls and stay hidden at times is really not that difficult. I'd say that overall, i'm medium skill in this game, i'm not going to go take out the MLG guys anytime soon but I am never a detriment to a team and often the best in the room, it just takes practice. Hell during the beta I got spanked because I was so rusty, but give it time and it becomes one of the most fun multi shooters.

Montresor

Well, given how poorly I'm playing, I know that I deserve to lose all these matches. Still feels crummy. But I remember being half decent in Gears 2 and Gears 3 multiplayer (never really played Gears 1 multiplayer).

I'll continue playing this weekend since there's double XP but after this weekend I may wait until I finish the campaign to revisit multiplayer.

see5harp

And why should a bad player bother to keep playing if they are matched up against the same exact four players after every match and keep losing?

Keep in mind all of this works the same way in social too. There is a middle ground which you have described but that middle ground isn't in the game. Like you suggested I would like teams switching in social at the very least (while leaving competitive alone).

You stay in the game so you improve. You also start to earn pretty decent bonuses for sticking with it. I played like 8 games of king of the hill where my team nearly shutout the other team every game. Maybe the people that stayed in the game learned something.

ive never played gears multi besides horde mode.

So should i choose something like TDM on Social?

Also - it seems everyone is using the gnasher shotgun - is it pointless using the Lancer because that is what i use mostly in the SP Campaign.

MC Safety

The matchmaking isn't very good. I've found my friend and I (both level 12) were teamed with people of a similar level and then pitted against enemies whose levels were two, three, and four times our level.

I know a person's level doesn't translate perfectly to his skill, but the game could have been balanced better to make for a more competitive match.

And you're absolutely kept on the same team until you quit out and join another match.

ive never played gears multi besides horde mode.

So should i choose something like TDM on Social?

Also - it seems everyone is using the gnasher shotgun - is it pointless using the Lancer because that is what i use mostly in the SP Campaign.

I would go social first, yes, and TDM is the most forgiving. Gnasher dominates multiplayer but Lancer is a fine support weapon provided you know when to use it. Learning the Gnasher is something everyone has to learn eventually though.

And honestly, you don't have to be crazy good as long as you don't feed the enemy team. Sitting back and supporting with the Lancer until you get better with the Gnasher is fine because you can still help the team that way in terms of capturing areas on the map or assisting on kills.

2-3 kills in a match is perfectly fine provided you don't die 8-10 times getting them.

I would go social first, yes, and TDM is the most forgiving. Gnasher dominates multiplayer but Lancer is a fine support weapon provided you know when to use it. Learning the Gnasher is something everyone has to learn eventually though.

And honestly, you don't have to be crazy good as long as you don't feed the enemy team. Sitting back and supporting with the Lancer until you get better with the Gnasher is fine because you can still help the team that way in terms of capturing areas on the map or assisting on kills.

2-3 kills in a match is perfectly fine provided you don't die 8-10 times getting them.
Thanks. Any tips with the shotgun and what should I be doing? I've seen lots of different things like not to aim etc? Just hip fire?

Plasma

Banned
The lighting changes for the Raam boss fight are terrible you can't see where you should go to avoid the Kryll because everywhere is so bright.

Thanks. Any tips with the shotgun and what should I be doing? I've seen lots of different things like not to aim etc? Just hip fire?

Just go with whatever feels comfortable. Personally, I mostly use the pop shot (press LT then immediately press RT) which gives you better accuracy and you're not forced to sit there and hard aim which restricts your movement. Hip firing and hard aiming have their uses as well though and it's just something you get acclimated to over time.

Movement is also important. Unless you have a cover advantage you should be strafing side to side or moving in a way that makes your opponents shots harder to hit. Again, it's just something that takes practice but ideally you want to make your opponent less accurate without sacrificing your own accuracy.

Outside of that though, it's really just about practice and repetition. You should be able to pick up different techniques by watching your teammates and enemies but the most helpful thing is just going to be playing and getting better acquainted with it.

Kalentan

How much does the game need to download till I can play it? I'm at 82% and can't start the SP... I feel like I should have been able to by now.

Kalentan

How do you select your character in Multiplayer?

Edit: Ah, I see. You need to be in the lobby between matches. I don't like that.

pizzacat

Banned
That evade should have been your death.

Yea so many times when I roll and they shoot and I barely get hurt, or the other way around. Somethings off but I can't understand it just yet

What I do know is that people who don't know how to play shouldn't play competitive.

;-;

nOoblet16

Anyone playing this right now ?
I dont really like playing this alone, especially because I have a hard time dealing with the original's issues while playing the game today....But it's a Gears game so I still play it lol.

We should do GAF private lobbies.

pizzacat

Banned
Anyone playing this right now ?
I dont really like playing this alone, especially because I have a hard time dealing with the original's issues while playing the game today....But it's a Gears game so I still play it lol.

We should do GAF private lobbies.
We totally should. I know someone here streams this a bit and does private matches

Angel_DvA

The game isn't Gears 1 and it's not the best Gear too IMO, so much issues with it, can't change loadout, Switch teams after the game ends, The gnasher is broken, weapons are unbalanced, servers are crap etc ...

It's really disappointing because it's my favorite multiplayer series, I wish they can make a perfect Gears before the series die, hope Gears 4 will be the one.

The game isn't Gears 1 and it's not the best Gear too IMO, so much issues with it, can't change loadout, Switch teams after the game ends, The gnasher is broken, weapons are unbalanced, servers are crap etc ...

It's really disappointing because it's my favorite multiplayer series, I wish they can make a perfect Gears before the series die, hope Gears 4 will be the one.

Asking for a perfect Gears? I thought my standards were high! Every Gears has had its glaring flaws (glitches in 1, awful lag in 2, Sawed off in 3, and Existing in Judgement), I'm sure Gears 4 will be no different. I just hope we get some gameplay details soon

Hey, longtime gears fan and loving the MP here. Would really like to get a team as it can kinda suck playing solo. I play on Competitive KOTH or TDM. GT is Jackbooted, look me up if you need another.

hunchback

It would be really helpful if I had a few of you guy's on my list. I'm just starting out on MP and having some patient people to play with would help me get better.

Feel free to add me. DblTap

Kalentan

I feel like the matchmaking is working against me.

Every match I'm put on a team of lower levels against a team of higher levels.

I've also thus far always been on the Locus. I've yet to play a single match as a COG.

It's weird.

Top Bottom