• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition |OT| Welcome back to the army, soldier

Kalentan

I need to somehow get better. D: I know K/D isn't everything but I got like a .4 KD and I can go matches without getting a kill. :(

When I enter shotgun fights, I always do less damage then my opponent and I feel like I get insta killed half the time. :(

Special C

Had a fun night last night. My team of 4 got matched with another team of 4 who stayed with us the whole night. We won like 8 out of 10 but every match was fun and competitive. Props to them for sticking with it.

Though one guy on the team teabagged us early on so we naturally had to smoke and BM him for the rest of the night.

I feel like the matchmaking is working against me.

Every match I'm put on a team of lower levels against a team of higher levels.

I've also thus far always been on the Locus. I've yet to play a single match as a COG.

It's weird.

Yeah, I am willing to give it a pass in social. But when I am going up against a lvl 47 in competitive when I am lvl 5, well. At the same time, I am more annoyed by the constant premades. I am already handicapped by queuing solo, but when they are obviously (after death) giving my position to the last guy standing.. ugh. Just impose a party chat restriction like COD had for S&D back in the day.

Saw a 92 last night and he was rolling with a crew that had a 74 and other high levels. Some people REALLY playing this game a lot. :)

LUXURY

The level with the moving trains is trash. I fucking hate it. My favorite that I've played so far is the rooftops. It looked glorious.

Montresor

The level with the moving trains is trash. I fucking hate it. My favorite that I've played so far is the rooftops. It looked glorious.

That's Tyro Station right? On that level I avoid the upper level with the trains and I ALWAYS fight on the lower levels instead. You can have awesome fights there on the underpass with the pillars + vans.

goldenpp72

I love Tyro Station, it's a hilarious map. I adore when they put the hill on the train track and you have to capture it and dodge the train, so many funny moments lol.

Montresor

The other day I was in a Team Deathmatch game against a group of really good players. Anyways, in one round they obliterated us, and I was the last person alive. I got downed, and then their entire team proceeded to dance around me. To further "humiliate" me, they let me get revived, then they tagged me with a grenade. I died and we lost the round, but my explosion caused them to die too, so I got a shit load of extra xp, lol.

In the next round, we lost badly again and I was the last person alive on my team again, but when I revived pretended like I was AFK (so I was standing there at spawn point with my chainsaw out). One of them spots me, and of course, instead of shooting me right away, he proceeds to call the rest of his buddies, and they all slowly start walking towards me. As soon as one of them got close enough, I rev'd my chainsaw and took one of them down with me.

Then I trash-talked that guy I chainsaw'd and he was legitimately pissed, lol.

Fuck, I remember in Gears 3 I used to love sidling up against cover with the double sawed-off and then pretending like I was looking over the cover, when I was really looking behind the cover. Then some guy would slowly walk up behind me thinking he had an easy gnasher kill, and blam, instant sawed-off gib.

Lingitiz

Played a ton of this over the weekend now that I finished up MGSV. I always have the most up and down experiences in some games. In one I'll feel completely useless and like my shotgun is shooting blanks, and the next I'll feel like an unstoppable god. Gears is all about momentum, it seems.

I was a huge Gears 2 player (less so for 3), and I had a hard time adapting to the old cover system. It feels really clunky at times and I find myself missing features like meatshields from the sequels. I'm starting to get used to it now though so it's not too bad.

Grisby

The other day I was in a Team Deathmatch game against a group of really good players. Anyways, in one round they obliterated us, and I was the last person alive. I got downed, and then their entire team proceeded to dance around me. To further "humiliate" me, they let me get revived, then they tagged me with a grenade. I died and we lost the round, but my explosion caused them to die too, so I got a shit load of extra xp, lol.
b.
The humiliation is the worst in gears.

Nice ending to your take of woe though.

goldenpp72

At least they didn't tag you with a smoke grenade first.

I typically avoid such things unless it's either done to me or my team mates first or, some other reason of instigation. As example of a couple experiences, we had one group keep humping our downed bodies in 2 on 2 gnashers, but when we turned it around we had the final round where we downed both of their bodies right on top of each other and decided to do our own dancing. The funniest part about this bit was the whole game my team mate was singing really happy songs like he had not a care in the world, so it was a funny match up.

Couple days ago we also ran into a white supremacist of some sort who kept calling out people on our team for being well, you can imagine the sort of stuff. Anyways at some point we downed him and the entire team did variations of dancing or humping, with me spinning the grenade lasso style and another guy gripping and ungripping the pistol to look like he was spanking him. This was made best by the explosion of pure hate to pop out of his mouth as soon as his body got finished off and the game ended lol.

Unlockable character list is really bad. Is there really a desire from the playerbase to have Farmer Dizzy, Mechanic Baird etc over unique characters such as Tai, Myrrah, Bernie etc?

Draconian

I think I've been on Tyro Station maybe one time. Rooftops is the worst map in the game by far and you should feel ashamed though.

RNG baby

A1K4Ues.gif

watdaeff4

I play this MP from time to time. Not good at it all all, but have gotten better thanks to the tips on here.

GettIng a kill though feels so satisfying in this game

Montresor

I had an awesome set of matches with my brother splitscreen today. It's damn awesome having someone to communicate with and plan out a strategy. I.E. on Sanctuary my brother and I would always choose one path (left or right) and then go together, so go left together to get boomshot while one of us lays down Lancer fire.

And I had a match on Mausoleum where we had only two lives left (no spawns) on Team Deathmatch while the other team still had four spawns. I went 11 and 4 overall, we won the match, and I got the achievement for having the top score on the team. Felt so good.

Kalentan

I just lost a match... cause a guy was straight up invisible. We couldn't see him so he killed out entire team and then in Canals, he picked up the torque bow and then teleported behind me on my side of the map...

In fact multiple of them were invisible.

NateDrake

I just lost a match... cause a guy was straight up invisible. We couldn't see him so he killed out entire team and then in Canals, he picked up the torque bow and then teleported behind me on my side of the map...

In fact multiple of them were invisible.

This is a new glitch I've been hearing about from folks online during matches. I forgot the way to perform it, but it is something pretty simple. Hopefully it gets patched up.

Unlockable character list is really bad. Is there really a desire from the playerbase to have Farmer Dizzy, Mechanic Baird etc over unique characters such as Tai, Myrrah, Bernie etc?

What pisses me off is the stupidity of Superstar Cole. I love that character but his skin goes for around £25 on eBay. Bullshit locked DLC that was clearly re-used from Gears 3 but now harder to get than a Shulk Amiibo on launch *breathe*. They better be available at a later point.

I feel like intentionally using a glitch should be bannable.

Makes you miss the KungFu Flip and Crab Running.

i love playing this game online but the shotty RNG needs to get fixed. Gonna keep playing MGSV until they do so. It's already starting to get harder to get matches quickly as is, i imagine that some of it has to do with the BS shotty situation

goldenpp72

I honestly love it's design, but it is trash. The annoyance of people just hiding is super frustrating. Especially with the hammer of dawn.

The map is good in some situations. It's really bad in team death match because with the hammer of dawn, it allows you to basically camp the spawn 'area' and constantly hammer on people. The map without the hammer is fine though, with a lot of clever places to hide and still be aware of, etc.

I really don't think there is a bad map in the game, but rooftops+ the hammer is a bad combo in TDM. I think in modes where everyone only gets one life though it's not bad.

NateDrake

The map is good in some situations. It's really bad in team death match because with the hammer of dawn, it allows you to basically camp the spawn 'area' and constantly hammer on people. The map without the hammer is fine though, with a lot of clever places to hide and still be aware of, etc.

I really don't think there is a bad map in the game, but rooftops+ the hammer is a bad combo in TDM. I think in modes where everyone only gets one life though it's not bad.

Without Hammer of Dawn, the level becomes a stalemate or just a back-and-forth between snipers. No one is willing to advance and matches take too damn long. I'll toss grenades and hope to catch a person in a corner or try to take the Torque Bow. Generally, Rooftops is a trash map to play on.

LUXURY

EXACTLY!!! And that is exactly what happened last night, in team death match. I watched my team stand near the house for it to spawn. The other team did the same by staying on the opposite side and just using the hammer. Just killed the mood for me. I love the game because of how fast paced and chaotic it can be. Not for this Call of Duty type gameplay.

Draconian

Without Hammer of Dawn, the level becomes a stalemate or just a back-and-forth between snipers. No one is willing to advance and matches take too damn long. I'll toss grenades and hope to catch a person in a corner or try to take the Torque Bow. Generally, Rooftops is a trash map to play on.

The amount of power weapons on that map make the incentive to do anything other than hole up on your side of the map immensely low. It's a poorly designed boring map.

emrober5

I beat the campaign for the first time today.

You could tell it was an older game, but they did a really good job with the remaster.

Cutscenes looked great

NateDrake

I think the game glitched on me. I have a kill with every weapon. The only stat without a kill is Active Longshot. The only thing I can think of is that my one Boltok kill was when the opponent was downed when I shot them. It registered as a kill. Otherwise I have no idea what weapon it could be.

Top Bottom