• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition |OT| Welcome back to the army, soldier

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I just had my copy shipped to me due to weather delays, but I was wondering something. I remember the various box arts from the previous gen had a mix of French and English language. I just have never had a copy that stated that it was such on the cover.

11920360_10153605440871465_586185520_n.jpg

11938236_10153605441176465_1437815788_n.jpg

I don't know if this has been discussed at all, but it is the NA version.

Been playing loads over the weekend. Tried grenade tagging a guy and caused our entire team to die and lose the match. The Xbox recorded my shame just to rub it in more. There was a guy on the other team just laughing in the post game lobby.

Grenade tag fuck up

Friction

Thank you! this is very informative
I don't know why people still defend the game saying get good, it is really broken, and we have to adjust to this errors, in order to win.

I repeat, all the people out there saying that the game is broken, you are right, now with this info workaround the errors to win.

This is exactly how it was in Gears 1. It's not broken, it's by design. Not saying it's good design mind you (I prefer Gears2/3 bullet from the barrel), but it's behaving exactly as intended.

The Gnasher clipping and not gibbing is bug though and needs to get fixed!

Tomash

This is exactly how it was in Gears 1. It's not broken, it's by design. Not saying it's good design mind you (I prefer Gears2/3 bullet from the barrel), but it's behaving exactly as intended.

The Gnasher clipping and not gibbing is bug though and needs to get fixed!

I was surprised to learn that even original switched to barrel. I thought it was a new thing because I couldn't reproduce this exploit in UE,backpacking. And you could do it in beta, also shooting around corners was possible in beta, gif

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
So I finally got a chance to run with both of my Gears buddies from back in 07. It's crazy how much having a nearly full team and full communication/co-operation makes a difference. We went 10-1 on the short night in execution. It was good fucking times. Took us back 8 years.

Anyone wanna start the game on insane difficulty with me?
Edit: out of the 6 people I've met in matchmaking no one has used a mic. Who plays games on the hardest difficulty without mic?

kingwingin

Just beat the campaign on insane and it was as good as I remember. I loved the added chapters, I always felt like the game rushed you to the train station and never explained what went wrong with the train and why it blew through the station.

hunchback

I really wish they had bots to practice against. This is my first time playing online and it's embarrassing. I'm hurting my team more than helping.
I'm loving single player. I'm seeing thing's that were too dark when I played on the 360.

goldenpp72

Is there a list of what maps can only be played where? Trying to focus on the oddball achievements so I can just do 'whatever' from there.

ShogunX

Been playing loads over the weekend. Tried grenade tagging a guy and caused our entire team to die and lose the match. The Xbox recorded my shame just to rub it in more. There was a guy on the other team just laughing in the post game lobby.

Grenade tag fuck up

Dude.......That's straight in at number one in your Xbox Live lowlights. We had a guy on Gears 2 do something similar on Ruins - Last round, all even, 1v1 - our guy downs the enemy and starts tea bagging him - misses the final shot and the enemy gets up roadie runs away around the corner where he had a convenient nade tag place - BOOOM we lost the match.

Straight in the top 5 lowlight reel.

Special C

I really wish they had bots to practice against. This is my first time playing online and it's embarrassing. I'm hurting my team more than helping.
I'm loving single player. I'm seeing thing's that were too dark when I played on the 360.

Play Warzone. You can't be as much of a burden as TDM because you aren't draining the teams spawns. Plus when you are dead you can spectate and watch how people play.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I just got so many achievements tonight. I tried to do most of the campaign achievements all in one-go, so I played on co-op on insane trying to go for everything, and we even managed to get the Brothers to the End achievement (kill RAAM on insane without either player going DBNO). RAAM is not too hard on co-op, really. He's also one of my favorite TPS boss fights.

Although I think one of the harder parts of the game on insane (for co-op anyway) is a PC chapter.

Theorry

‏@GearsofWar
We've enabled all maps on all playlists in Gears of War: UE for you to play! Think a map should be removed? Let us know on our forums!

pizzacat

Banned
‏@GearsofWar
We've enabled all maps on all playlists in Gears of War: UE for you to play! Think a map should be removed? Let us know on our forums!
Escalation and Process should be erased from existence like Overpass

Also there was an email on the new giant Bomb podcast about some dude talking to DiMaggio and how he was glad voice new VA for gears 2 and 3

Take it with some salt but who knows

After playing a ton of UE, the improvements of Gears 2 and especially 3 have become clear. It just seems Epic got better at making Gears as they went along, which makes sense. Overall mechanics/barrel shooting are obvious ones, everything is much smoother but also things like map design and power weapons. I think nostalgia had people believing Gears 1 was just a gnasher/lancer game. The purest of Gears. But it's really not when there's about a hundred power weapons on the map. Rooftops is an extreme example where there's two snipers, two hammer of dawns, two grenades, and a torque bow. Even Bullet Marsh has grenades, two snipers, a torque bow, and a boom. Escalation has 3 grenades and two snipers, all for one side. That's a lot of firepower sitting around and headshots are pretty damn easy in this one. Now look at Gears 3. You have Checkout with one set of frags and one digger/sniper spawn or Thrashball with Torque and Frags. Now the fights are funneled towards those and in some cases they won't even be picked up in Execution or Warzone because everyone will be dead. In kill-based modes, the power weapons are the objectives you fight for and should be a rare commodity, not handed out like candy. I dunno, just some thoughts I had about how the game has evolved for the better.

alterno69

Banned
Finally got this downloaded, played chapter 1 and it's good to be back.

I gotta say the performance is kinda dissapointing, the framerate is not the best and some pop up in several areas.

Other than that, this is a great remake.

pizzacat

Banned
After playing a ton of UE, the improvements of Gears 2 and especially 3 have become clear. It just seems Epic got better at making Gears as they went along, which makes sense. Overall mechanics/barrel shooting are obvious ones, everything is much smoother but also things like map design and power weapons. I think nostalgia had people believing Gears 1 was just a gnasher/lancer game. The purest of Gears. But it's really not when there's about a hundred power weapons on the map. Rooftops is an extreme example where there's two snipers, two hammer of dawns, two grenades, and a torque bow. Even Bullet Marsh has grenades, two snipers, a torque bow, and a boom. Escalation has 3 grenades and two snipers, all for one side. That's a lot of firepower sitting around and headshots are pretty damn easy in this one. Now look at Gears 3. You have Checkout with one set of frags and one digger/sniper spawn or Thrashball with Torque and Frags. Now the fights are funneled towards those and in some cases they won't even be picked up in Execution or Warzone because everyone will be dead. In kill-based modes, the power weapons are the objectives you fight for and should be a rare commodity, not handed out like candy. I dunno, just some thoughts I had about how the game has evolved for the better.
Later games became more about weapon spawn control and less about the weapons itself. Sandbar for instance is the battle for mortar area.

Checkout had the actual checkout area as a must even though it only had frags.

I think that provided some teamwork effort in there to get that area but also get the power weapon.

Well something fucked up. I was kicked from a match saying I got disconnected from Xbox Live and got a 2000 point quit penalty, when my connection was fine and I wasn't disconnected from Xbox Live. So that's nice.

pizzacat

Banned
Well something fucked up. I was kicked from a match saying I got disconnected from Xbox Live and got a 2000 point quit penalty, when my connection was fine and I wasn't disconnected from Xbox Live. So that's nice.
Yea that's happened enough times to me for me to go down in levels lol

leeh

Escalation and Process should be erased from existence like Overpass

Also there was an email on the new giant Bomb podcast about some dude talking to DiMaggio and how he was glad voice new VA for gears 2 and 3

Take it with some salt but who knows
You don't like escalation?! I love how it gives the people lower down 2 snipers, but the people above a boomshot if I remember rightly.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
You don't like escalation?! I love how it gives the people lower down 2 snipers, but the people above a boomshot if I remember rightly.
Nope. Just a boltok and grenades as far as power weapons go.

The idea is that you have the tactical advantage position-wise. The people down bottom have the snipers as an equalizer.

For execution, it is quite the excellent map.

see5harp

Finally getting some of my touch back. It does sorta suck how often people rage quit, even in Ranked matches. I perfectly understand the frustration that comes with the game, especially if you're playing solo and your group isn't doing so well but damn it makes matchmaking take freaking forever between matches.

Need 1 game to hold me over till Halo 5. Either this or Phantom Pain? Gears Ultimate will give me access to the other games in the series eventually through backwards compatibility. But I hear Phantom Pain has a 40-50 hour campaign.

LUXURY

Going to sound hella dumb, but how the duck do I switch my default weapons?! From the lobby I can only switch skins and characters. Do they have to be unlocked? I never played this one back on the original Xbox 360.

Going to sound hella dumb, but how the duck do I switch my default weapons?! From the lobby I can only switch skins and characters. Do they have to be unlocked? I never played this one back on the original Xbox 360.
that's all you can do, the original game was always a lancer and gnasher start. the original never had weapon skins either.

I had a horrible night last night playing with friends. I was coming off going like double digit kills and less than 5 deaths every match by myself to barely going even last night. I've been playing without a headset and I keep getting killed from behind during fights. Felt bad man.

Draconian

A TDM took forever to matchmake last night. Took about 5 minutes to matchmake and eventually start the match.

I played with a friend and we couldn't find anybody in Warzone or Execution, so we got stuck playing TDM. I didn't like it in Gears 3, and I still don't like it now.

bumpkin

Played two matches (of KOTH) and didn't even get a shot off before getting killed mere moments after respawning... Yeah, I don't think I'm touching MP in this game ever again.

Mine01

Need 1 game to hold me over till Halo 5. Either this or Phantom Pain? Gears Ultimate will give me access to the other games in the series eventually through backwards compatibility. But I hear Phantom Pain has a 40-50 hour campaign.

im in the same boat, i guess i gonna get gears tough.

I still can't get a grip on the gnasher... some rounds I will be an absolute boss with it and other times I'm embarrassingly dreadful.

I like this sort of skill gap though...

Top Bottom