• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeDoSaTo - Downsampling from Infinity and Beyond!

So strange that people get this error, I never have. Do you use User Account Control in Windows?

I just leave that off because it is painfully annoying.
So few things genuinely need administrative privileges that I, for one, prefer to have that layer of security.

Isn't there a way to make the application request administrative privileges automatically? You never have to run installers or the like elevated manually.

VCHTil2.gif
Durante

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I've I set Reported to 60 and Present to 120 then it completely murders my frame rate which I didn't expect. I'll leave both at 120 for now as that seems to be ok, no idea what frame rate it's actually at but it seems smooth!

Aha! thank you, toggling off SweetFX does increase the brightness! I'll leave it on most of the time, it just so happened starting to use this coincided with being in some horrible dark pit with spiders.

Thanks to both!

Huh that's odd!

When I set report to 120, the game refuses to go into fullscreen.

Could you post your INI file up?

jediyoshi

Lili doesn't work since the menus won't work with it. Though you can fudge it if you're just going to be exploring an area by setting your resolution to 1080 first, then switching to the higher res, and escaping out of the menu.

Works fine with Borderlands 2 too as far as I can tell. Some of the clouds seem to drop to low precision models, but I'm not sure if it's a bug due to the sampling or if it's just the resolution showing up the flaws.

Menus can't be navigated by mouse but can be by arrow keys.

Seanspeed

Banned
So what do I put my settings to(for DSII) if I'm just using the normal Nvidia GeForce downsampling and don't want to do anything resolution-related with this?

I'm currently running the game at 1440p down to 1080p(native resolution for monitor).

Basically, all I want from GeDoSaTo is the improved AO.

Right now, it looks like this:

# The actual rendering resolution you want to use,
# and how many Hz you want the game to think it works at.
#renderWidth 5120
#renderHeight 2880
renderWidth 3840
renderHeight 2160
#renderWidth 3200
#renderHeight 1800
reportedHz 60

# The resolution you want to downsample *to*.
# Should generally always be your output device pixel size and frequency.
# Writing something not supported by the display here will probably cause a crash.
#presentWidth 2560
#presentHeight 1440
presentWidth 1920
presentHeight 1080
presentHz 60

And also has a bunch of other settings under 'Graphic Options' that I have no idea what they are.

Does this all mean that its set by default to downsample from 4k? I don't quite get it.

Durante

Basically, you can do anything you want except set the actual rendering resolution to the same one you want to use (2560x1440), because then you'd be using GeDoSaTo for downsampling.

This looks awesome, as if the lighting spear has a sort of intensity made up of energy.
Would love to see it in motion*
It's pretty neat in motion because after you start casting it the eye adaption kicks in and it (as well as the rest of the level) gets progressively darker, and then brighter again after the spell is done.

Lili doesn't work since the menus won't work with it. Though you can fudge it if you're just going to be exploring an area by setting your resolution to 1080 first, then switching to the higher res, and escaping out of the menu.
Did you try the various options in "Mouse settings" in the ini?

Seanspeed

Banned
Basically, you can do anything you want except set the actual rendering resolution to the same one you want to use (2560x1440), because then you'd be using GeDoSaTo for downsampling.
Sorry for being slow, but I don't really understand. I see like 5 different sets of resolutions in those options there and I'm not sure what they mean here.

Like, in this default state, what does it mean I'll be rendering at and displaying to? Is it currently set to downsample using GeDoSaTo? Or is it off? I'm really quite clueless.

derFeef

Sorry for being slow, but I don't really understand. I see like 5 different sets of resolutions in those options there and I'm not sure what they mean here.

renderWidth 3840
renderHeight 2160
is the resolution the game is getting rendered

presentWidth 1920
presentHeight 1080
is the resolution of your monitor or TV, the resolution it's getting downsampled to.

the resolutions with # in front are just excluded ones, ie getting ignored, you could also delete those lines.

Durante

Read the first line in the ini file.
All lines starting with "#" are ignored, they are just there so that you can remove the "#" and add it to another line to more easily switch to another resolution.

Like, in this default state, what does it mean I'll be rendering at and displaying to? Is it currently set to downsample using GeDoSaTo? Or is it off? I'm really quite clueless.
In its default state, it adds a 3840x2160 resolution option to the game, and if you select that (in-game) it will downsample to 1920x1080.

Durante

Ah ok, so I don't need to change anything then?

Thanks fellas.
Yes. Well, you should turn off the graphics features you don't want to use -- that is, DoF, postprocessing and AA. (Though I really don't see why you wouldn't want to use GeDoSaTo AA instead of the in-game option)

derFeef

Hey my compatriot, will there be a "fix" for the black crush/gamma problem via HDMI or is it a tougher bug?

Also reading that PCGH article now!

Seanspeed

Banned
Yes. Well, you should turn off the graphics features you don't want to use -- that is, DoF, postprocessing and AA. (Though I really don't see why you wouldn't want to use GeDoSaTo AA instead of the in-game option)
Yep, got everything working as desired. Had to turn down the strength of the AO at 3 seemed to make things look very dark, though.

And I'm mainly just still using my regular downsampling method because 'if it works, don't fix it', I guess. I'll definitely give it a shot for other games down the road.

Thanks for the great tool, man.

Psyched for the new update durante.

Have you at all considered what would cause SLI to stop working correctly when downsampling with your mod vs. it working correctly when not downsampling with your mod in Dark Souls 2? Not a horrible bug (just dont downsample and only use the DOF, AO, and SMAA), but was wondering what part of the downsample code would cripple SLI performance for some reason and prevent its scaling correctly.

Furthermore, have you looked at including a temporal AA at all? Like SMAAt2x?

Just some questions from my curiosity! THanks for any replies and much appreciation for GedoSaTos wonderful mod.

Orayn

Borderlands 2 is interesting. Does the outline shader disappear because of the scaling, or the post-processing components?

Also, yeah, the new bloom effect looks excellent from what you've shown of it so far.

Have you at all considered what would cause SLI to stop working correctly when downsampling with your mod vs. it working correctly when not downsampling with your mod in Dark Souls 2?

SLI (0x02506405) works fine for me using Durante's mod. Downsampling from 4k with no issue. Looking forward to that update as well. Looks good.

Parsnip

Borderlands 2 is interesting. Does the outline shader disappear because of the scaling, or the post-processing components?

Also, yeah, the new bloom effect looks excellent from what you've shown of it so far.

It doesn't disappear as such, the outline is applied to the full size render, but then when it's scaled down, it of course will get much thinner.

SLI (0x02506405) works fine for me using Durante's mod. Downsampling from 4k with no issue. Looking forward to that update as well. Looks good.

That SLI bit gets rid of the ambient lighting in the game and over brightens the image. You can do a test yourself if you want to see that. The bits which do not do that image over brightending cease to scale as soon as you start downsampling (and actually scale worse than single cardquite badly).

What is your rig and what are your settings btw?

Newboi

Wow, so I have to set my in games resolution to the resolution i'm down sampling from (4k)?

I thought it was downsampling the entire time I had the in game resolution set to 1920x1080 lol.

Zafir

Is there any way to get this working with games that use a separate exe for configurating the game?

I only ask because Dynasty Warriors 8 PC version doesn't support 1440p, and I can't see it being patched in.

That SLI bit gets rid of the ambient lighting in the game and over brightens the image. You can do a test yourself if you want to see that. The bits which do not do that image over brightending cease to scale as soon as you start downsampling (and actually scale worse than single cardquite badly).

What is your rig and what are your settings btw?

This bit does not do this to my game for whatever reason. I'll post a screenshot when I get home. I have 3 680s. Downsampling from 3840x2400 to 2560x1600, SMAA on low, postprocessing enabled, AO on the default settings, and I'm using in-game DoF.

Durante

Is there any way to get this working with games that use a separate exe for configurating the game?
Yes, easily. Either switch to the blacklist or add the executable name of the configuration program to the whitelist.

I only ask because Dynasty Warriors 8 PC version doesn't support 1440p, and I can't see it being patched in.
If a game doesn't support arbitrary resolutions then GeDoSaTo won't help (at least not without game-specific code).

HoosTrax

I'd be curious to see if this can work some magic on some particularly shitty-looking (in terms of technical execution) games like Darksiders 1. Everything looks low-res and washed out in that game.

Kingdoms of Amalur is another I'd like to try applying this to.

Zafir

Yes, easily. Either switch to the blacklist or add the executable name of the configuration program to the whitelist.

If a game doesn't support arbitrary resolutions then GeDoSaTo won't help (at least not without game-specific code).
Ah right thanks, the latter would explain why it didn't show up when I did the former earlier. Shame. Overall a rather disappointing port.

Larsen B

How should I go about enabling this for something like Batman: Arkham City which has a launcher as well?

I've put both BmLauncher and BatmanAC on the Whitelist, the Launcher shows the resolution to downsample from but, when I start the game, there's no GeDoSaTo status when pressing +.

I've tested other programs that load straight into the game and it works fine. I've also tried just running the game directly from BatmanAC.exe but still no downsampling message.

Earlier in the thread, someone said they were running GeDoSaTo and SweetFX in AC so it seems to be possible but I'm stumped.

This bit does not do this to my game for whatever reason. I'll post a screenshot when I get home. I have 3 680s. Downsampling from 3840x2400 to 2560x1600, SMAA on low, postprocessing enabled, AO on the default settings, and I'm using in-game DoF.

If you can, take a screenshot with SLI off and with it on. Just in case you have not noticed the difference.

Arkanius

Has anyone tried with Walking Dead Season 2?
It's crashing for me when I reach the main menu. Not sure if it's a problem in my end

BONKERS

You can resize and move individual elements via the Hud Editor:

Of use the nuclear option and resize everything in one fell swoop:

It's quite nice, but can easily allow you to spend hours customizing your UI setup, haha.

After testing on my brother's PC (Who actively plays the game), at 2880x1800, even at 140% scale the UI is too small.

I can't imagine how tiny it would be at 4k.

Why would they only make it up to 140%?

Grief.exe

As promised,

SLI on:

SLI off:

nVidia Inspector settings:

As you can see, the only thing I changed is the SLI bit.

Try this SLI bit

0x02400405 (Payday: The Heist, Grand Ages: Rome, Aion, Grand Ages: Rome(Demo), Warframe)

This whole downsampling is showing my cards age.

I guess it's either replace my 6970 or get a PS4.

Either way, amazing tool.

I mean a 6970 is a damn good card. Downsampling is just very expensive.

I've been downsampling from around 1200p on a ~5 year old system without issue.

Grief.exe

For what reason? I'm happy with my current SLI bit. Unless you want me to test it which I'd be happy to do after I get off this Skype call.

If you aren't having any issues, then no reason. Just recommending it as I have been using that one.

Maybe I will try your out and see if I don't see the artifacting.

If you aren't having any issues, then no reason. Just recommending it as I have been using that one.

Maybe I will try your out and see if I don't see the artifacting.

Yeah as I've said before this bit works perfectly for me. No slowdowns, no flickering, no problems across ~80 hours of play. But others have said they do experience these problems so I'm not sure what's up with that. The only difference I can think of is that I'm using 3 cards instead of 2.

Computron

Hey Durante. Would it be possible for GeDoSato to supersample the temporal dimension (Motion Blur) instead of or in addition to the spacial?

What I mean is, say I am playing Half life 2 on my 770GTX; I could easily push several hundred frames (or whatever source engine's internal hard limit is for framerate).
However, my monitor for the time being, is only able to show 60fps.

Could GeDoSaTo be extended to allow for in between frames to be blended in order to create a real motion blur effect??

Speaking of which, would most/some/any game engines allow for high enough internal framerates for there to be enough samples for a good quality motion blur?
Here are some Youtube videos of someone making this effect from sped up slow motion replays recorded in GTA 4 where he gets 11x temporal samples,
but I realize this is taking advantage of the replay system and may not compare to real time results.

Here's another video from HL2 at 100x sampling, but the video looks weird/jittery as though something about the recording or the process was off. Here is another with only 16x, and a side-by-side comparison.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I'd be curious to see if this can work some magic on some particularly shitty-looking (in terms of technical execution) games like Darksiders 1. Everything looks low-res and washed out in that game.

Kingdoms of Amalur is another I'd like to try applying this to.

It worked for me when I used it in Kingdoms of Amalur, but the UI was tiny. Maybe I didn't configure it right in the options.

Hey Durante. Would it be possible for GeDoSoto to supersample the temporal dimension (Motion Blur) instead of or in addition to the spacial?

What I mean is, say I am playing Half life 2 on my 770GTX; I could easily push several hundred frames (or whatever source engine's internal hard limit is for framerate).
However, my monitor for the time being, is only able to show 60fps.

I would think that would be horrifically expensive and add significant input lag.

I admit to being bugged by your misspelling of the tool's name, but I have to give it a pass because it doesn't exactly roll off the fingers.

BONKERS

It worked for me when I used it in Kingdoms of Amalur, but the UI was tiny. Maybe I didn't configure it right in the options.

For whatever retarded reason. KoA scales it's UI with resolution. Even though it's a console game.
Yeah, that totally makes sense.

Downsampling looks great in KoA but it's unplayable because of the UI, unless we can mod or hack the game in some way.

Games like KoA will still be unplayable even with GeDoSaTo. And there are more out there that do scale with resolution than i'd like.

I didn't get any new res optiosn when I tried it.
skyrim hangs on the loading a save for me, presume there is nothing specific I need to change to get it working ?

Same here - new game borked too with both 8K res and 4K- althoguh the latter definitely works via driver level DS.

Computron

I would think that would be horrifically expensive and add significant input lag.

I disagree, but even if it were expensive and laggy, it would be just like the other kind of supersampling, no? I mean, were talking about a program that renders everything at insane resolutions just to get rid of aliasing, its the most brute force method there is, and its not exactly cheap. (But Half Life 2, for example, is over a decade old at this point and we could afford it.)

The difference would be that with temporal supersampling your still getting the latest rendered frame up on screen, just as if you were rendering normally. So since the last frame takes very little time to render, it would be much more up to date and closer to what is actually happening at the moment than a huge 4k+ downsampled rendering. Therefore it seems to me like it would actually be far less input lag. At worst it would be approximately as laggy as triple buffered vsync.

After all, were simply blending in all the frames that your GPU already rendered and would simply throw away with v-sync enabled. These are the same frames that end up being partially shown to you when you're seeing tearing. You already pay for rendering these unseen frames in every game that has uncapped framerates, and all that temporal supersampling would add to this cost is the price of blending the frames together. So, of course, there is a bit of performance hit and it may likely take some more memory.

However, an additional benefit would be that since everything is motion blurred, you wont see jaggies or shader aliasing when in motion. Additionally, if everything is sitting still on screen, you could do what Halo Reach and Crysis 2 did; have a half pixel jitter between frames that acts like spacial supersampling.

Technically, this could give you all of the sampling benefits that GeDoSaTo currently gives, but without the necesary high minimum performance hit of rendering at high resolutions. It could be set up to only work if your getting above a certain number of frames, and when you dip below that thresh hold, it would simply skip blending inbetween frames and go back to rendering the game as it would normally. The problem being that you would probably need significantly higher than 60 fps (or whatever your refresh rate happens to be) to get enough samples for motion blur. 2x samples would probably not look very good.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I disagree, but even if it were expensive and laggy, it would be just like the other kind of supersampling, no? I mean, were talking about a program that renders everything at insane resolutions just to get rid of aliasing, its the most brute force method there is, and its not exactly cheap. (But Half Life 2, for example, is over a decade old at this point and we could afford it.)

The difference would be that with temporal supersampling your still getting the latest rendered frame up on screen, just as if you were rendering normally. So since the last frame takes very little time to render, it would be much more up to date and closer to what is actually happening at the moment than a huge 4k+ downsampled rendering. Therefore it seems to me like it would actually be far less input lag. At worst it would be approximately as laggy as triple buffered vsync.

After all, were simply blending in all the frames that your GPU already rendered and would simply throw away with v-sync enabled. These are the same frames that end up being partially shown to you when you're seeing tearing. You already pay for rendering these unseen frames in every game that has uncapped framerates, and all that temporal supersampling would add to this cost is the price of blending the frames together. So, of course, there is a bit of performance hit and it may likely take some more memory.

However, an additional benefit would be that since everything is motion blurred, you wont see jaggies or shader aliasing when in motion. Additionally, if everything is sitting still on screen, you could do what Halo Reach and Crysis 2 did; have a half pixel jitter between frames that acts like spacial supersampling.

Technically, this could give you all of the sampling benefits that GeDoSaTo currently gives, but without the necesary high minimum performance hit of rendering at high resolutions. It could be set up to only work if your getting above a certain number of frames, and when you dip below that thresh hold, it would simply skip blending inbetween frames and go back to rendering the game as it would normally. The problem being that you would probably need significantly higher than 60 fps (or whatever your refresh rate happens to be) to get enough samples for motion blur. 2x samples would probably not look very good.

You're offhandedly asking some guy on the internet to take on a pretty huge undertaking, and make it absurdly adaptive.

It's easy to say "All you've gotta do is!" but since you're not programming it up, you can't really say that as if it's so simple.

doomquake

sadly crashes with screen grabber. tried to turn off downscaling by making the res the same as my windowed more or fullscreen. Tried windowed mode. But still not dice.
I installed GDST since day one. I almost puked when I saw where I am, without the fx and ao filters, when i tried to stream without the mod.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
@Durante, would it be possible to make a screenshot key that takes the screenshot with all the effects enabled?

For example, when rendering at 5120x2880 I get pretty horrendous frame rates, so I normally toggle all the settings off, line up the shot, then toggle them all on and hammer the screenshot key in hopes that it'll register one of the clicks. It would be really convenient if there could just be a screenshot key that took a shot with all of the effects toggled on.

sadly crashes with screen grabber. tried to turn off downscaling by making the res the same as my windowed more or fullscreen. Tried windowed mode. But still not dice.
I installed GDST since day one. I almost puked when I saw where I am, without the fx and ao filters, when i tried to stream without the mod.

GDST has a built in screencapture functionality (it actually captures full res!) so it would probably be worth trying that out.

Well, i'm stupid... as in 'i must be doing something wrong, something obvious' as i can't get Darksiders to work with it. It's the first time i've tried Gedosato.

Log says this:
===== Wed May 14 22:06:56 2014 =====
===== start GeDoSaTo version 0.4.471 built on 2014/05/01 22:08:16 (DS2E DEBUG) = fn: DarksidersPC
===== installation directory: G:\Gedosato Alpha 4\
===== end =

I have the games (steam library) installed on another hdd as the os, i wrote DarksidersPC in the whitelist doc.

Game starts, nothing out of the ordinary but there is no new resolution to chose in the game.

Computron

You're offhandedly asking some guy on the internet to take on a pretty huge undertaking, and make it absurdly adaptive.

It's easy to say "All you've gotta do is!" but since you're not programming it up, you can't really say that as if it's so simple.

I think you misunderstand, i'm not asking for all these features to be developed.
My second post was merely responding to StarCreator's remarks about performance and me speculating about hypothetical extensions of this technique.

That's why my first post directed at Durante only asked whether it was possible to add the bare minimum of temporal SS.
My understanding, which certainly could be wrong, is that a lot of the necessary tech for such a feature is already present in GeDoSaTo's for its SSAA technique, no?

I understand that this is a huge undertaking and I did note in the first post that even the basic technique might not pan out.
Either way I would still love to hear some input about the hypothetical possibility of such a technique, even if it wasn't going to be developed by any of us.
It was not my intentiont to sound like I was demanding anything more than that.

Parsnip

Well, i'm stupid... as in 'i must be doing something wrong, something obvious' as i can't get Darksiders to work with it. It's the first time i've tried Gedosato.

Log says this:
===== Wed May 14 22:06:56 2014 =====
===== start GeDoSaTo version 0.4.471 built on 2014/05/01 22:08:16 (DS2E DEBUG) = fn: DarksidersPC
===== installation directory: G:\Gedosato Alpha 4\
===== end =

I have the games (steam library) installed on another hdd as the os, i wrote DarksidersPC in the whitelist doc.

Game starts, nothing out of the ordinary but there is no new resolution to chose in the game.

I have it installed as well, I'll give it a shot.

edit: Darksiders appears to be locked at 1080p maximum, it doesn't show my traditional downsampling resolutions either. I assume it would need game specific code to get past that, similar to Dark Souls and Deadly Premonition, unless there are some hacks for it that I don't know about. Also, with GeDoSaTo blacklist enabled, it seems to be only showing completely white screen after the titlecard rolls. Can't say if that's just my system or what.

Top Bottom