• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeDoSaTo - Downsampling from Infinity and Beyond!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Trenched? You mean Iron Brigade? Why call it by the old name?

Either way,sure, FXAA probably *would* blur highly detailed sections at native res. (Considering the game's only built in AA is FXAA)

But once the downsampled buffer is resolved, any blur is non existent.

It's no different than using SMAA.

Again, Bionic Commando
1800p with SMAA downsampled http://i3.minus.com/iby4hAFkXFPJKq.png
1800p with FXAA downsampled http://i3.minus.com/ibzOAp2kJ7wKIk.png

There is literally almost 0 difference in IQ/AA in these images other than SMAA handles diagonals better in the form of the power lines in the upper part of the image. (And some difference on the main character)

I'm not sure why you keep cherry picking games with the lowest level of detail. Also, worth noting is that unless you are using GeDoSaTo and specifically using the Bicubic scaling algorithm (the default is bilinear) your results WON'T look the same as your images since displays/GPU's by default scale the image with bilinear scaling, not bicubic like photoshop and other image editing programs tend to do.

Comparatively, here is a game with finer details which while downsampling, using FXAA has blurrier chainmail and loses some of the shine detail as well as blurrier trees in the background, compared to SMAA which has more aliasing yet is also sharper.

darksoulsii_2014_05_19_18_41_08_34_by_aloo81-d7izsl9.jpg

darksoulsii_2014_05_19_18_39_41_46_by_aloo81-d7izsl1.jpg

Eyothrie

One of the settings in DS2 is making everything really dark. Do you guys know which setting it is without me testing each one individually (and driving my friends mad with all the restarts) ?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
One of the settings in DS2 is making everything really dark. Do you guys know which setting it is without me testing each one individually (and driving my friends mad with all the restarts) ?

You should raise brightness in the screen settings in game. If that doesn't get it bright enough for you, then press 4 on the numpad to disable post-processing. If you're using flame weapon a lot, then pressing 7 on the numpad to disable bloom may help as well.

Eyothrie

You should raise brightness in the screen settings in game. If that doesn't get it bright enough for you, then press 4 on the numpad to disable post-processing. If you're using flame weapon a lot, then pressing 7 on the numpad to disable bloom may help as well.

It was the post processing. My in game brightness was set to max and my TV was at normal brightness with Black Level set to low. It was still too dark. But disabling post processing fixed it.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
It was the post processing. My in game brightness was set to max and my TV was at normal brightness with Black Level set to low. It was still too dark. But disabling post processing fixed it.

You should change your TV's black level. Setting it to low usually means setting it to black crush.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
The new HDR Bloom looks great in DS2. I keep wanting to lower the strength to 5.0 for a more natural, subdued effect, but I keep going back to the default 8.0 for that ethereal look. Gonna see if I settle on something in-between. Basically, on 8.0, there's some stuff here and there that's distracting--a good example would be the mirrors hanging in Drangleic Castle--that would benefit from a lower setting. But damn does it look great overall.

Darbon

Neo Member
I’ve been getting a weird SSAO lighting bug ever since the Alpha 4

Basically when I enable GeDoSaTo’s SSAO (with the in-game SSAO turned off) this is what the game looks like:
TPIoZqe.png

As soon as I turn it off however the game goes back to looking normal. Right now I’ve resorted to using the in game AO until this gets fixed

How are you guys pulling off the Bokeh DoF? I thought my 570 would be still enough since I use no downsampling, I use gedosato only for the effects and postprocessing.

Do you really need something like 770 for bokeh @60fps?

Thanks

How are you guys pulling off the Bokeh DoF? I thought my 570 would be still enough since I use no downsampling, I use gedosato only for the effects and postprocessing.

Do you really need something like 770 for bokeh @60fps?

Thanks

I have a factory OC'd 670 and it handles all the effects fine at 1080 at 60fps. It drops to 50fps in one or two places in Earthen Peak but that's all the performance hit I've noticed.

Durante

That full black SSAO issue posted further above seems very unique, no idea what is going on there. Do you maybe have any in-game setting except AO disabled or not maxed?

The new HDR Bloom looks great in DS2. I keep wanting to lower the strength to 5.0 for a more natural, subdued effect, but I keep going back to the default 8.0 for that ethereal look. Gonna see if I settle on something in-between. Basically, on 8.0, there's some stuff here and there that's distracting--a good example would be the mirrors hanging in Drangleic Castle--that would benefit from a lower setting. But damn does it look great overall.
You can also try playing with the CUTOFF and MAX_BRIGHTNESS settings. But it's a never-ending story, the settings I distributed are ones I arrived at after about a week of tweaking here and there.

banjoted

That full black SSAO issue posted further above seems very unique, no idea what is going on there. Do you maybe have any in-game setting except AO disabled or not maxed?

You can also try playing with the CUTOFF and MAX_BRIGHTNESS settings. But it's a never-ending story, the settings I distributed are ones I arrived at after about a week of tweaking here and there.

Thanks again for your ongoing efforts Durante.

I too am finding the bloom a bit much, though. There are LOADS of settings so which basic variable should I be tweaking to reduce the effect. Just strength?

Durante

Strength is the most obvious one, the second choice would be increasing the cutoff. Of course, their effects differ: increasing the cutoff will only make brighter objects bloom, e.g. you could make it so that the stones in the dragon aerie don't bloom; decreasing strength will still have the same objects bloom, but with less, well, strength.

banjoted

Strength is the most obvious one, the second choice would be increasing the cutoff. Of course, their effects differ: increasing the cutoff will only make brighter objects bloom, e.g. you could make it so that the stones in the dragon aerie don't bloom; decreasing strength will still have the same objects bloom, but with less, well, strength.

OK, understood. Thanks very much.

Syrak

Neo Member
Great job with the new version I really like the new bloom but I had to turn it way down to strength 3.0. Even at that level while fired looked good other things were out of control such as the summon signs and phantoms, especially the ones from the Covenant of the Sun (which is fitting, I suppose).

If you anyone can tell me how to turn down the bloom on stuff like that without dampening the rest any more, let me know.

Edit: Just saw Durante's post about raising cutoff, so I'll try that next.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
I am replaying the game from the start and noticing some nice visuals with the new 'HDR Bloom'

Also applied on
.weapon sparks (when you hit walls)
.how some of the monsters/enemies dissipate (those ember'ish souls vaporizing, like after killing the Heide Knight in the Forest of the Gaints)

Darbon

Neo Member
That full black SSAO issue posted further above seems very unique, no idea what is going on there. Do you maybe have any in-game setting except AO disabled or not maxed?.

Thanks for replying, with regards to the in-game settings, I've got everything at max or "on" with the exception of camera motion blur and AO. I'm also not using GeDoSaTo's HRD/bloom, DoF or downsampling at the moment. I've tried changing the strength and quality of AO and the AA type and level in the .ini to see if it would remove the black but it's still there.

If it helps, here are my specs
eUKG8YU.png

And here's the log: http://pastebin.com/p5uxwL5h

SoundLad

Before I go off messing around with this later today, does GeDoSaTo work with Diablo 3?
Would love to see some screens if anyone has been successful.

Wray

Sorry if this has been asked before, but does this work with Metal Gear Rising? I know the PC version had some type of weird hard coded 1080p resolution limit that wouldnt let you downsample before.

Also, if you cant Downsample, do the other effects like DoF still work?

wickfut

Banned
It's not impossible or particularly hard, I just don't think that removing the ambient light without adding a lot of new light sources in almost the entire game makes much sense. The areas were clearly designed for there to be some ambient light - and honestly, with my default settings in GeDoSaTo I almost never felt it was "too bright", throughout the whole game.

I've removed a large amount of ambient light in the game, and I'm currently doing a playthrough.

Everything makes sense with the ambient light lowered. You'll notice lots of sconces are placed near tunnels which are now dark. You'll find torches when you actually need them in places which are dark or where the next section is dark, etc etc.

Try it. or if you can at least give the option to people. It changes the game quite a bit for the better.

The only problem is the availability of the torches, but I'm up to undead crypt now and I have about 50mins of torchlight left.

I've removed a large amount of ambient light in the game, and I'm currently doing a playthrough.

Everything makes sense with the ambient light lowered. You'll notice lots of sconces are placed near tunnels which are now dark. You'll find torches when you actually need them in places which are dark or where the next section is dark, etc etc.

Try it. or if you can at least give the option to people. It changes the game quite a bit for the better.

The only problem is the availability of the torches, but I'm up to undead crypt now and I have about 50mins of torchlight left.

I'm playing my new game plus like this, and it's amazing. It makes for a really different experience.

Yeah, I'd really like to try this, but I don't like the look of the ENBs to be honest. No offense of course, I just prefer the more vanilla look of GeDoSaTo. I think having the option of lowering the ambient light by a certain % would be fantastic.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Yeah, I'd really like to try this, but I don't like the look of the ENBs to be honest. No offense of course, I just prefer the more vanilla look of GeDoSaTo. I think having the option of lowering the ambient light by a certain % would be fantastic.

ENB is completely tweakable.

just set it up to only disable or lower ambient light.

wickfut

Banned
I don't want to drag the GeDoSaTo thread off topic but if you want me to just do a quick ENB profile with just the ambient lighting removed then PM me. I think it's best we leave this discussion of ENB here and let Durante's mod be discussed.

BONKERS

Sorry if this has been asked before, but does this work with Metal Gear Rising? I know the PC version had some type of weird hard coded 1080p resolution limit that wouldnt let you downsample before.

Also, if you cant Downsample, do the other effects like DoF still work?

I would test, but don't have it installed. FWIW, using 8xSGSSAA at 1080p still looks great, and would probably have better temporal stability than downsampling.

KingFire

Banned
Sorry to ask this but does this work on Source games? I've just tried this on Portal 2 and it crashed to desktop right away.

I can force 3200x1800 via the video card drivers, but I was hoping to go higher with GeDoSaTo since the game already run amazingly well on that resolution.

Newboi

Is anyone else having issues with DoF with the latest GeDoSaTo? I have it enabled in the ini file, but the effect isn't showing up in game. It was fine in version 0.4.

Kamikaze Ice

Neo Member
Is anyone else having issues with DoF with the latest GeDoSaTo? I have it enabled in the ini file, but the effect isn't showing up in game. It was fine in version 0.4.

You need to manually turn it on after starting the game--press 2 on your keypad or change the binding for it in the other config file (Durante mentioned this on his blog post with the download link).

sentry65

so does anyone have any direct comparison shots between vanilla Dark Souls 2 fully maxed out at 1080p and with GeDoSaTo's current best looking 60fps1080p settings?

so does anyone have any direct comparison shots between vanilla Dark Souls 2 fully maxed out at 1080p and with GeDoSaTo's current best looking 60fps1080p settings?

As it so happens I do, but my GeDoSaTo shots are downsampled from 4k so it looks a slightly better than it normally would.

PC default, all settings maxed:
ds2_02_pc_default.jpg

GeDoSaTo (without postprocessing):
ds2_03_gedosato.jpg

GeDoSaTo (with postprocessing):
ds2_04_gedosatopp.jpg

Durante

Sorry to ask this but does this work on Source games? I've just tried this on Portal 2 and it crashed to desktop right away.

I can force 3200x1800 via the video card drivers, but I was hoping to go higher with GeDoSaTo since the game already run amazingly well on that resolution.
Source games should work, I explicitly tested Consortium.

I have one comparison a bit like that:
screenshot_2014-05-15v1k9v.jpg

screenshot_2014-05-159bjqe.jpg

Of course, this scene doesn't really show off the DoF effect or even much of the HDR glow. It does show that the AO is a pretty big improvement though.
(Also, both of them are downsampled using GeDoSaTo, native 1080p would obviously look a bit worse IQ wise)

Has anyone managed to get this program to work with The Typing of the Dead: Overkill??

That's one game I would really like this to work for. I've tried it, and it's definitely affecting the game window in some way but the rendering resolution remains the same.

Hope someone can help.

BONKERS

Has anyone managed to get this program to work with The Typing of the Dead: Overkill??

That's one game I would really like this to work for. I've tried it, and it's definitely affecting the game window in some way but the rendering resolution remains the same.

Hope someone can help.

With it's PP effects TOTD:O renders at 1280x720 no matter what and then upscales to your display resolution.

If you set your desktop resolution to 1280x720, you can use 8xSGSSAA with the game (With 0x000012C1) and it generally looks pretty great and runs really well. (Though your desktop resolution HAS to be 720p for it to work. Because the resolution settings in game only work when the post processing is disabled)

Comparison
http://i.minus.com/ibagTWcecDyON.png
http://i.minus.com/ijg0AgUa3hyQx.png

The output is still upscaled, but at least you have good AA. Which more than makes up for IMO. You could even use a little sharpening if you wanted to maybe help sharpness.

With it's PP effects TOTD:O renders at 1280x720 no matter what and then upscales to your display resolution.

If you set your desktop resolution to 1280x720, you can use 8xSGSSAA with the game (With 0x000012C1) and it generally looks pretty great and runs really well. (Though your desktop resolution HAS to be 720p for it to work. Because the resolution settings in game only work when the post processing is disabled)

Comparison
http://i.minus.com/ibagTWcecDyON.png
http://i.minus.com/ijg0AgUa3hyQx.png

The output is still upscaled, but at least you have good AA. Which more than makes up for IMO. You could even use a little sharpening if you wanted to maybe help sharpness.

Thanks, looks much better anyway.

Sorry if this has already been asked/answered, but do I need to set the game to full screen or windowed for borderless window mode to work? I ask because setting the game to windowed still shows borders for me. =/

akira28

Just found out that Alpha5 came out. Seems like it will let me run Dark Souls2 2880x1800 to 1920x1200 with Alpha4, but with Alpha5 is just hangs at a white screen. Anyone else having this trouble? I can boot the game under a lower resolution configured in the ini and then select 2880 in the video section and it will play, but if I put 2880x1800 in the ini, it hangs.

Other than that, it played perfectly yesterday, and I like the bloom, most of the time.

edit:
Just tried Mechwarrior Online to see how A.5 works, but it doesn't at all. Immediate crash. Set ini for 2560x1600 which DOES work with Dark Souls 2, but no dice with MWO. Ran A.4 and it came up like normal, playable, etc.

NoWayOut

Hey Durante, great job! I have been using this from day one and now I can't play DS2 without it ;) . Just a question, do you think you will be able to fix the crashing when alt-tabbing? I know I can kind of work around it by using the borderless window option, but it's not always ideal. Thanks.

Top Bottom