• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia special election heads to runoff as Ossoff earns 48% of vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNelson

Banned
Well, she might have just sank her campaign. She said in a debate last night she doesn't believe people should be able to earn a living wage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPkY-dhuI7w

I used to live in this district.

People would vote down MARTA rail expansion because they were afraid 'brown people from the South side of the city would use it to come and break in to their homes'. This place is heavily composed of rich white people, and I highly doubt those comments are going to have as much of an impact as you think they will.

I want Ossoff to win as well, but some of you guys need to get your expectations in check.

People would vote down MARTA rail expansion because they were afraid 'brown people from the South side of the city would use it to come and break in to their homes'. This place is heavily composed of rich white people, and I highly doubt those comments are going to have as much of an impact as you think they will.

Hahaha
"The MARTA element" is such thinly veiled racism.
I've seen almost two decades of outright public refusal of MARTA expansion or MARTA integration into Cobb and Gwinnett co. transit systems for this expressed reason...

So I figured this is probably the right thread for this question, even though I live in Texas

There's a runoff election between candidate A and candidate B, if I voted for candidate A the first time around, does my vote still count after the runoff? Or is it like a blank slate?

platocplx

I want Ossoff to win as well, but some of you guys need to get your expectations in check.

This is happening in CT as well people are so adverse to public transportation and say it will mess up views and crap and really its thinly veiled racism when most areas thrive even more with adequate public transportation.

MrNelson

Banned
So I figured this is probably the right thread for this question, even though I live in Texas

There's a runoff election between candidate A and candidate B, if I voted for candidate A the first time around, does my vote still count after the runoff? Or is it like a blank slate?

You have to go vote again. Nothing ever carries over.

DBr-uffWsAEvue_

https://mobile.twitter.com/ElectProject/status/872289579700760577

DBsEd-FXYAAOfyw

https://mobile.twitter.com/ElectProject/status/872295952559853568

Less than half as many votes.
And a huge dip in voters around the ages of 25-35.

This is happening in CT as well people are so adverse to public transportation and say it will mess up views and crap and really its thinly veiled racism when most areas thrive even more with adequate public transportation.

Connecticut has meaningful public transportation?
Other than Amtrak through the middle of the state - where? I'm in Enfield, and I can't get anywhere useful other than along the Amtrak route, and I hadn't heard anything about any suggestions of things happening.

Pyrokai

Yes because the alternative of monster highways plowing through neighborhoods and destroying cities is such a better alternative.

Altanta is a sprawled mess. They need more MARTA. Racism is a disease....

Volimar

I'm worried though that this might be another case of people saying one thing and voting the other, especially after the "living wage" comments.

Snwaters

Okay so I live in a district over from this one. Is there a way I can vote somehow to push the election in Ossoff's favor?
If you aren't part of the 6th, then no. And in all seriousness, let's not validate Republican's claim of 'voter fraud!' Trying to vote nowadays is difficult enough as it is.

I'm happy to see another poll that's +7.

However, the 9000 emails I get a day from the campaign say that he is behind in early voting and 60% of Georgians vote early. Is there any accuracy to that?

Ac30

However, the 9000 emails I get a day from the campaign say that he is behind in early voting and 60% of Georgians vote early. Is there any accuracy to that?

Maybe, but there's 11 days left to vote early so I don't think he's that concerned yet.

geomon

Campaign drives always do that. It's the fear factor and trying motivate people to vote and donate and volunteer.

Campaign drives always do that. It's the fear factor and trying motivate people to vote and donate and volunteer.

Where's the proverbial line between these last minute getting out the vote drives to get out the vote, and instilling the feeling of pessimism so that they don't bother voting?

This is excellent news. It also mean the real shit is going to be flung from the NRCC shortly.

I saw an ad yesterday with actors in a San Francisco setting talking about how awesome California, Ossoff, and Pelosi were.

I'm like, bitch, I enjoyed when I went to SF. Thanks for reminding me to vote for Ossoff.

Ganhyun

I'm worried though that this might be another case of people saying one thing and voting the other, especially after the "living wage" comments.

Well, the same news station she said that on let her clarify it the next day as well, so alot o those people who might have been upset may have been mollified by her explanation.

But, lets be honest, she said what she really meant the first time.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Yeah, but Republicans are some of the dumbest voters I've ever seen. Just ignorant all around.

Their ignorance is spiteful and maligant. They don't care to be informed or informed properly. All they want is a justification for their shitty world views they hope to enforce or apply to others but usually not themselves.

There's really not a large scale case of this being a thing honestly. Not something that would offset that big of a lead, anyway. It's still two weeks away so we have to watch it from now to then.

RPGCrazied

Ugh. What happened to that 7 point lead? This is so depressing.

A new SurveyUSA poll for 11Alive in Atlanta found that Democrat Jon Ossoff and Republican Karen Handel are tied at 47 percent in Georgia's special House election, one week from Election Day.

Another 6 percent of voters are still undecided in the poll, as Ossoff and Handel jockey to replace HHS Secretary Tom Price in Congress. Most recent public polling has shown Ossoff with a slight lead, but both candidates insist that this race is "neck and neck," as Ossoff said this weekend.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/13/poll-georgia-jon-ossoff-karen-handel-239477

Oh well. Have fun with your $7.50 hour jobs!

If any decent amount of people in this district were near the poverty line, you'd see more of an impact. I wish we'd get one or two more bombshells before election day.

This race was always going to be close, and sudden 7 point swings raise my curiosity. The flyers here border on intimidation, with one (that I've gotten at least twice now) stating that voting is public record and don't sit out.

GAF hated you last thread about this too despite solid predictions cause you live in Atlanta. LoL

I try not to take it personally.

I really don't think you would. Look at all of the poor rural districts that always overwhelmingly vote Republican.

One key difference is the stark difference in education here vs rural districts. IIRC, top two or three R district in the country in terms of post-secondary education.

Link

The Autumn Wind
If any decent amount of people in this district were near the poverty line, you'd see more of an impact. I wish we'd get one or two more bombshells before election day.
I really don't think you would. Look at all of the poor rural districts that always overwhelmingly vote Republican.

Ganhyun

As I predicted.

I'd honestly hoped that livable wage comment might help provoke some of the younger voters and moderates in the district (yea, I know, but still) to maybe show up a bit more.

GAF hated you last thread about this too despite solid predictions cause you live in Atlanta. LoL

They really did go after him too.

Oh well. Have fun with your $7.50 hour jobs!

He's explained multiple times why he is saying the things he is saying. The poster is not sitting here touting Republican ideals as the best thing ever. He explained why it will be hard for this district to actually go blue currently in the last thread and I believe in this thread as well.

RPGCrazied

IHe's explained multiple times why he is saying the things he is saying. The poster is not sitting here touting Republican ideals as the best thing ever. He explained why it will be hard for this district to actually go blue currently in the last thread and I believe in this thread as well.

Honestly Trump being President should have been enough. Do these people just not see who Trump is and only see the R by his name? I swear if we lose this, I'll be depressed. I know Trump hasn't been able to get much done, but how are we suppose to fight this if we can't win anything?

kess

Hahaha
"The MARTA element" is such thinly veiled racism.
I've seen almost two decades of outright public refusal of MARTA expansion or MARTA integration into Cobb and Gwinnett co. transit systems for this expressed reason...

Funny how in New Jersey, when rail lines are announced, home prices shoot up. Racism inhibits the South so much.

Neoweee

Honestly Trump being President should have been enough. Do these people just not see who Trump is and only see the R by his name? I swear if we lose this, I'll be depressed. I know Trump hasn't been able to get much done, but how are we suppose to fight this if we can't win anything?

The seat was vacated because it was a "safe" seat. That it is even close is a good sign for Democrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom