• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia special election heads to runoff as Ossoff earns 48% of vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

DBHhnxeXoAIaDJ7.jpg:small

#GA6 early vote stats as of 5/30 (mail and in-person): 15,480 voted after first day of in-person early voting pic.twitter.com/nUnkyv0zo0
https://twitter.com/ElectProject/status/869724338341195777

And for comparison:

C9qbN9lWAAAV9qY.jpg:small

#GA06 last pre-election early vote (absentee and in-person) update: 56,459 voted as of 4/17

Similar early vote pattern in #GA6 first round & runoff tells me Dems and Reps are engaged. Will be a squeaker, as first round foreshadowed
Of course, many more days of #GA6 early voting to go, so we'll see how this unfolds. Neither campaign should be counting chickens yet
https://twitter.com/ElectProject

Shit, looks like the GOP vote got a real surge. Fucking bad. I know it's not over, but that is confirming my feeling that this race is probably going to be another loss. I know it's still a good thing that it'll end up as close as it is statistically, but we really need a high-profile win right now I feel like.

RPGCrazied

Shit, looks like the GOP vote got a real surge. Fucking bad. I know it's not over, but that is confirming my feeling that this race is probably going to be another loss. I know it's still a good thing that it'll end up as close as it is statistically, but we really need a high-profile win right now I feel like.

If we don't win this, our voters will get super depressed and not vote at all anymore. There are too many old white bigots in this country.

RPGCrazied

Lets all keep in mind though, this is a Republican stronghold district. R's usually win 25+. If he comes within 1 or 2 we can still call it a win.

zethren

Banned
So where are all of the folks from earlier (who don't live in or near this district) claiming there was some massive demographic shift in the district that was going to bring Ossoff to a victory?

It's definitely not over yet, and obviously I want him to win and think he still has a chance, but people need to get their expectations in check on this one. Optimism is great when met with a dash of reality, especially when it comes to primarily white Republican voting districts in the south.

It's a deeply Republican district, if Ossof wins it's going to be because of newly registered voters and Republican crossovers, not just the Dem turnout.

What's up with that age graph? Are the people in this region all that old, or are young people (again) not voting?

That district is pretty much all old rich white people. Not joking. You looking at a 400k minimum home to live in that district. A couple of us who actually live here were saying it will be an R win purely on demographics but for some reason people weren't trying to hear it.

zethren

Banned
Sure, but his polling was pretty exceptional the last month or so from what I understand. But you're right, it was wrong to hinge real hope on this probably.

Have hope, but have realistic hope ya know?

I drive through this district every day. It's a white, suburban republican district primarily. There aren't a lot of the young progressive voters living there that some folks think there are. They live in the districts outlying it.

He can still pull a win off of course. Encourage anyone you know who lives here to vote, please.

Ew. Those numbers look a bit scary, but I wouldn't descend into melancholy just yet.

In the general election, the early vote composition of D26 and R46 led to Trump's barely eking a win: he only beat Hillary by 1.5 points. So far, the early vote in this special election has been D35 and R43, moderately higher for Democrats and slightly lower for Republicans. Recent polls have Ossoff garnering about 15% of the Republican vote, and remember also that independents might favor him over Handel. And with this administration, we can't eliminate the possibility of a scandal that swings the election toward Ossoff.

Basically, be cautious but not despondent.

EDIT: I should also add that Georgia has open primaries. We don't know the party registration of the early voters, just the last party primary in which they voted. Some of those 10,000 or so "Republican" votes submitted could be Democrats who voted strategically in the Republican primary. Maybe not many, but in an election this close, every number counts.

Have hope, but have realistic hope ya know?

I drive through this district every day. It's a white, suburban republican district primarily. There aren't a lot of the young progressive voters living there that some folks think there are. They live in the districts outlying it.

He can still pull a win off of course. Encourage anyone you know who lives here to vote, please.

I don't know anyone who lives there, but I've donated a decent chunk to the campaign in $5 and $10 donations, probably donated about $80 all together, with most of them being triple or quadrupled matched. All I can really do. We'll probably have to settle for another 'moral victory,' though. There's a special election in South Carolina coming up next month or August, right? Anyone know much about that location?

zethren

Banned
I don't know anyone who lives there, but I've donated a decent chunk to the campaign in $5 and $10 donations, probably donated about $80 all together, with most of them being triple or quadrupled matched. All I can really do. We'll probably have to settle for another 'moral victory,' though. There's a special election in South Carolina coming up next month or August, right? Anyone know much about that location?

That's awesome, and you've done your part to help. It's definitely great that it's been this close of a race, and that does bode well going forward even if Ossoff doesn't quite make it.

No chance. We only have a chance in this election because (1) Georgia has been trending blue and has nearly entered swing state territory and (2) this district contains many affluent voters who rejected Trump's racism and went Hillary or third-party. South Carolina has neither the swing state status nor that kind of electorate.

No chance. We only have a chance in this election because (1) Georgia has been trending blue and has nearly entered swing state territory and (2) this district contains many affluent voters who rejected Trump's racism and went Hillary or third-party. South Carolina has neither the swing state status nor that kind of electorate.

*Sigh*

Of course. Square one then, square one.

Is there a chance that SC could at least reflect even a slight shift away from Republicans? I remember fivethirtyeight at one time projecting Clinton to win SC, so relatively speaking SC is a little more susceptible than, say, WV.

Is there a chance that SC could at least reflect even a slight shift away from Republicans? I remember fivethirtyeight at one time projecting Clinton to win SC, so relatively speaking SC is a little more susceptible than, say, WV.

Well, you made me check, and I might be wrong. The district has a PVI of R+9, well within victory territory during a blue wave. And this Republican won't have the incumbency advantage. The district has approximately 1/3 black voters, so I wonder if voter suppression might play a role. I've no idea about South Carolina's laws. I still think you'd run into the education and affluence problems I mentioned earlier, though, making this district a tougher swing.

I feel like a lot of people are upset that these special elections are so tough to win, but that's the point. These elections are happening because of vacancies left by the Trump administration snatching people from these seats for jobs. They obviously picked hard R districts.

These elections aren't supposed to be close. If we're showing a double digit wave in them, 2018 looks really freaking good.

I feel like a lot of people are upset that these special elections are so tough to win, but that's the point. These elections are happening because of vacancies left by the Trump administration snatching people from these seats for jobs. They obviously picked hard R districts.

These elections aren't supposed to be close. If we're showing a double digit wave in them, 2018 looks really freaking good.

I think people realize that because both threads about the special elections have been filled with people saying it all the time lol. I think, more anything, people are looking for something they can point out and say, 'That's a win, thank God, we finally have a win.' For some people, flipping the NH and NY House States that had never had a Democrat where that, but there's been so much focus on these federal special elections, I still get it.

Sure, but his polling was pretty exceptional the last month or so from what I understand. But you're right, it was wrong to hinge real hope on this probably.

Polling hasn't ever shown Ossof with a more than a couple point lead. This was never a slam dunk easy win, and even if he loses by 1-2%, it'll still be a dramatic change in the district.

Seems proportionally more Democrats are voting, but damnnn at Republican early turnout.

Be careful about reaching that conclusion. We don't know these voters' affiliations, only the last partisan primary in which they voted. That red bar could contain some Democrats who voted strategically in the last Republican primary. (Georgia has open primaries.)

Ac30

Be careful about reaching that conclusion. We don't know these voters' affiliations, only the last partisan primary in which they voted. That red bar could contain some Democrats who voted strategically in the last Republican primary. (Georgia has open primaries.)

Wasn't it a jungle primary though? Ossoff lost by under 2% of the vote, they should have been voting for him then lol

Wasn't it a jungle primary though? Ossoff lost by under 2% of the vote, they should have been voting for him then lol

That was for the special election. Jungle primaries aren't partisan because it's a free-for-all: all candidates from all parties appear on the same ballot.

Regular primaries, such as the ones last year, are partisan, and those are the sources from which these data have been obtained.

MarionCB

Correct me if I'm wrong (Australian here): The last primary there was for the November elections, so some of those "Republican" votes in the graphs above could be previous Republican voters who are now voting for the Democrat. I mean, changing Rep votes to Dem votes is one of the essentials to victory, right? Realistic expectations and all, of course.

Lets all keep in mind though, this is a Republican stronghold district. R's usually win 25+. If he comes within 1 or 2 we can still call it a win.

Not really. We're already being mocked for celebrating our "moral victories" in Kansas and Montana. We need to start actually winning seats. Yes, I get that slimming down the margins is a good sign, but the GOP doesn't give a shit. A 1% win generates the same result as a 25% win.

Yeah but they'll still vote for her since they think it's only minorities that are asking for a livable wage.

Also Montana elected a dude who bodyslammed a reporter so never doubt the stupidity of people.

The Montana thing was decided mainly by the early voting numbers and the body slam happened the day right before the election.

Not really. We're already being mocked for celebrating our "moral victories" in Kansas and Montana. We need to start actually winning seats. Yes, I get that slimming down the margins is a good sign, but the GOP doesn't give a shit. A 1% win generates the same result as a 25% win.

A 1% win is a win yes. But it also shows that voters are getting sick of shit. Margins that close that much in a special election are going be close in regular elections as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom