• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia's 6th Congressional District Special Election |OT| Round 2: Fight!

Zolo

Were the Dems supposed to win SC or is this unexpected?

From David Wasserman on 538:

Keep in mind: The votes in from South Carolina right now are disproportionately from the southern end of the district, which is more Democratic/African-American. In particular, the area around Sumter is Parnell’s home base, so in a low-turnout special election, it makes sense that he’s performing particularly well there. That said, he’s outperforming Clinton’s numbers all over the district. The same can’t be said for Ossoff so far.

RPGCrazied

DCziot8VoAgKkR5.jpg:large

Old?

Zyae

NATE SILVER 8:38 PM
This Politico graphic is interesting, in that it’s tracking only precincts that have completed all their vote counting. So far in those precincts, Handel is underperforming the GOP vote share in April by 0.6 points, and Ossoff is outperforming the Democratic share by 0.6 points. That would point toward Handel winning by less than 1 percentage point. (So basically a tossup.)

My heart

I'm not hating on her at all or even disagreeing with the claim that she was effective in her role compared to what we see from weak leaders like Paul Ryan.

However, I wouldn't want Derek Jeter on my team at this point in his life. Pelosi is 78 years old and has been in Washington for a long time. Democrats cling to their leaders far too long to their own detriment.

DogDude

Karen Handel (Republican) 50.7% 72,536
Jon Ossoff (Democratic) 49.3% 70,443
41 of 208 (20%) Precincts Reporting, 142,979 Total

We're in a weird spot in Georgia 6, where Handel seems to be doing well based on the in-person early vote but the first few completed precincts look good for Ossoff. To be honest, I'm totally up in the air on this one right now and have no idea who will win. I'm more confident in South Carolina 5, where Republicans look like they'll hang on, but by a much narrower margin than polls suggested.

SC05 is a big surprise. It's true reliable red country. Not just affluent Rs but Trump voting Rs.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Karen Handel (Republican) 50.8% 74,002
Jon Ossoff (Democratic) 49.2% 71,683

43 of 208 (21%) Precincts Reporting, 145,685 Total Votes

Handel up another .1% from 20%-21% update

Zyae

DAVID WASSERMAN 8:49 PM
We’re in a weird spot in Georgia 6, where Handel seems to be doing well based on the in-person early vote but the first few completed precincts look good for Ossoff. To be honest, I’m totally up in the air on this one right now and have no idea who will win. I’m more confident in South Carolina 5, where Republicans look like they’ll hang on, but by a much narrower margin than polls suggested.

here we go boys

Mully

Has this been proven to be a problem? Or are we looking for quick results and confirmation because that's a slower process?

There's no issue with the system really. It just takes longer to report the actual number of votes counted with the AP.

The process goes as follows:

1. AP Vote Reporter waits by a county clerk's desk and badgers the clerk for vote totals.
  2. AP Vote Reporter calls AP Election HQ with vote total updates until their, "Final Call," which basically is the final total of votes counted. Usually there's about 4 calls total and based on the precinct/county this could take hours or in the case of Detroit in November 2016, weeks.
  3. On the other line of the AP Vote Reporter's call, are Vote Takers. These people sit at a computer and manually put in the number of votes into a proprietary vote counter program. Vote takers will not have an assigned county or precinct. They are given between 3 and 4 states, and receive calls from any county/precinct within that state throughout the night.
  4. Once Vote Takers have a final call from a Vote Reporter, a supervisor will then go over the numbers twice with the caller, and then finalize the vote.
  5. After the vote is finalized with the supervisor, the totals are then sent to the ten or so managers at AP Election HQ. These people have years to decades worth of experience when it comes to elections and will know if a number is fishy or not. If they don't see anything amiss, the Supervisor will then allow the final numbers to be published.

It's not a perfect system, but it's fairly meticulous and careful. That said, I don't know how many times I've taken calls at 5AM the morning after Election Day with exhausted Vote Reporters who do not give a shit whether or not their numbers are correct; sometimes the system does not account for tired ass people who have been up for 36 hours.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Karen Handel (Republican) 50.8% 74,002
Jon Ossoff (Democratic) 49.2% 71,683

43 of 208 (21%) Precincts Reporting, 145,685 Total Votes

Karen Handel (Republican) 51.3% 77,588
Jon Ossoff (Democratic) 48.7% 73,610

49 of 208 (24%) Precincts Reporting, 151,198 Total Votes

Top Bottom