• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia's 6th Congressional District Special Election |OT| Round 2: Fight!

Zolo

What the heck is going on in SC-5 right now? Parnell is leading or keeping it close with about 50% of the vote in.

Taking a stab in the dark here, but I'm guessing the more rural Republican areas haven't been counted?

Lo-Volt

We have had two wins this year. Two State House Seats flipped in NY and NH that have never had a Democrat in the seat. People focus a lot on federal, I know, but that was a good thing.

Agreed, and that New York seat should have been way outside the Blue Team's reach. So, if you care more about the bottom-up party building method, that's essential. But sometimes, you just need a win. You need a by-election to win. You need to show to recruits that this isn't a waste of time. (Playing devil's advocate.)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

So if Handel wins in a squeaker, then that just means she performed similarly to Trump. Can that even be called a moral victory? Wouldn't we need the needle to be moved several percentage points towards D to actually call this a reaction to Trump?

What the heck is going on in SC-5 right now? Parnell is leading or keeping it close with about 50% of the vote in.

It being this close is way bigger news then GA-06. It really shows the damage done without national interest/millions of dollars/Trump effect/etc....

Ourobolus

Banned
Then you are not a hypocrite.

Avoid Florida! I'd move to Texas before I'd go back to where I grew up. Not leaving CA though, I love living in the best state in the nation. : D

I'd be ok with moving to a northern red state because fuck the weather down south :p

the wife's job keeps me here for the time being though

Remember when Hillary won the popular vote but not the presidency?

Self segregation of urban liberals is a big part of the problem.

If moving to a liberal state would have a quantifiable benefit to his life then he should move. I'm sure he doesn't want to purposefully live a worse life in order to try and flip a state 20 years from now.

Zyae

HARRY ENTEN 8:19 PM
Results are still coming in from South Carolina, and the more there are the more I think this is going to be a place where Democrats vastly outperform the previous presidential vote.

choo choo

So if Handel wins in a squeaker, then that just means she performed similarly to Trump. Can that even be called a moral victory? Wouldn't we need the needle to be moved several percentage points towards D to actually call this a reaction to Trump?

the house rep won by 23 points 7 months ago

KHarvey16

Then you are not a hypocrite.

Avoid Florida! I'd move to Texas before I'd go back to where I grew up. Not leaving CA though, I love living in the best state in the nation. : D

It's not really hypocritical at all to say someone shouldn't move out of the south just to avoid republicans even if they aren't willing to pick up and move south.

In case some of you are unaware why these elections are being held in the first place, their previous occupants were chosen to serve in the Trump administration. Partly on the basis that their seats were safe from being flipped.

giga

If moving to a liberal state would have a quantifiable benefit to his life then he should move. I'm sure he doesn't want to purposefully live a worse life in order to try and flip a state 20 years from now.

Yep. Especially as a minority. It's nice not being subject to the shit I got when I lived in GA-06.

Zyae

I'd tune down the excitement for SC. Norman is pulling ahead and looks to be about to be way out of reach

"Hey I take the most negative approach to everything"

NATE SILVER 8:20 PM
It’s also worth keeping in mind that turnout was reported to be VERY low in South Carolina today. That’s the sort of scenario where you could have a big upset. Maybe there aren’t that many Democrats in the district, but if they’re the only ones who turn out, you could have a much different result than you did last November.

Mully

A possible reason why Parnell is doing surprisingly well today from Nate Silver.

538's Nate Silver said:
8:20 PM

It's also worth keeping in mind that turnout was reported to be VERY low in South Carolina today. That's the sort of scenario where you could have a big upset. Maybe there aren't that many Democrats in the district, but if they're the only ones who turn out, you could have a much different result than you did last November.

Source.

"Hey I take the most negative approach to everything"

NATE SILVER 8:20 PM
It’s also worth keeping in mind that turnout was reported to be VERY low in South Carolina today. That’s the sort of scenario where you could have a big upset. Maybe there aren’t that many Democrats in the district, but if they’re the only ones who turn out, you could have a much different result than you did last November.

He's up by nearly 5 points with over half in according to 538. I don't really see how I'm wrong here.

Mully

Parnell now down by 3.5% with 53% of precincts reporting in, in South Carolina 5th Congressional District Special Election today.

No matter the outcomes, I think Pelosi needs to step down. She won't, but she's been a negative for Ossoff and the Dems would be better with a fresh leader without baggage.

And? Its a pretty big R district. You guys are honestly ridiculous. A close win or loss for Ossoff is a big deal.

It's a big deal, but is it a good thing for Democrats running in the future? Or does it just guarantee that more money, and more attack ads, are thrown against them?

Zolo

No matter the outcomes, I think Pelosi needs to step down. She won't, but she's been a negative for Ossoff and the Dems would be better with a fresh leader without baggage.

They'll just find another person to symbolize Democrats and Liberals.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
He's up by nearly 5 points with over half in according to 538. I don't really see how I'm wrong here.

(because it depends on which precincts report first and which report last -- and in this case the precincts that have come in are pretty favourable to the democratic candidate)

Edit: My bad, you were talking about Norman pulling away, not Parnell. LOL. Oops.

RPGCrazied

The old guard definitely needs to go. The ones that want to work with Trump on things. There is no working with Trump. Stall, STALL!!! They did it with Obama. Why do we always have to play nice all the time?

And? Its a pretty big R district. You guys are honestly ridiculous. A close win or loss for Ossoff is a big deal.

I just don't think that talking about how much Price won by is important because A) he isn't running now and B) he was running against a person who literally does not exist and therefore did 0 campaigning of any kind.

Obviously a close loss is still good for the long term.

Prepare to get barraged by a bunch of people from poligaf over this even though it's probably true.

Whoever gets Pelosi job will be in the same place.

I'm so sick of this bullshit cop-out answer. Yes, congressional leaders are hated but nobody carries years of baggage like Pelosi does.

Top Bottom