• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia's 6th Congressional District Special Election |OT| Round 2: Fight!

DogDude

Karen Handel (Republican) 51.9% 85,316
Jon Ossoff (Democratic) 48.1% 79,121

81 of 208 (39%) Precincts Reporting, 164,437 Total Votes
Did someone say there were only 192k votes last time? This would be pretty impossible total to overcome at this point if that's true. But guessing voter are also up given the attention. The 39% precinct total wouldn't make much sense in that case either.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
In good Georgia news, Dwight Howard was traded from the Hawks to the Charlotte Hornets

🏀🏀🏀

Who needs real victories when Dems have all these moral victories?

The SC race was never going to be a victory ever in a million years.

The GOP (and everyone else) would be stupid to ignore such a huge shift in a single random district. These are warning signs for the GOP to panic. If they ignore them, it's on them when 2018 is a D+10 Wave and they take the House and maybe the Senate.

Iksenpets

Banned
This kind of sums up my feelings.

It's pretty much the exact pattern we saw in Kansas while back. Low attention allowed for high Democratic mobilization without triggering a conservative backlash. Not enough to win in either case, but the electoral sneak attack is potent, unlike GA and to a lesser extent MT, where high attention let conservatives know they were under threat so they could turn out in turn.

RPGCrazied

Oh well, another loss. We weren't expected to win this one. This isn't whats bothering me, is listening to Trump gloat about this win on twitter that has me raging early.

If you want to look at it solely negatively, you could say that Republicans rally when it really matters. That these results aren't indicative of the House flipping next year, but them doing just enough to get by.

I don't know if I subscribe to that. There's way too much time between then and now to draw conclusions. There is a Democratic shift, it's just a matter of how much and what news will influence that.

Only people who don't know what they're talking about think getting close is just a moral victory.

It still doesn't mean shit just like it doesn't mean shit that Hillary got more votes than Trump. He won and they won. Until Democrats actually start winning these things, then it really doesn't matter.

We're half reporting in and Handel is almost a full 4 points ahead now. This is turning out worse than expected unless there's a surge coming.

Kusagari

It still doesn't mean shit just like it doesn't mean shit that Hillary got more votes than Trump. He won and they won. Until Democrats actually start winning these things, then it really doesn't matter.

Democrats aren't supposed to be winning these races, even in a scenario where they win the house in 2018.

If you want to look at it solely negatively, you could say that Republicans rally when it really matters. That these results aren't indicative of the House flipping next year, but them doing just enough to get by.

I don't know if I subscribe to that. There's way too much time between then and now to draw conclusions. There is a Democratic shift, it's just a matter of how much and what news will influence that.

These results (and all of the "losses" over the last few months) are indicative of the Democrats taking the House.

Dierce

Republicans are part of a cult. Unredeemable.

Just the thought, what would it take for their constituents to turn against them? The answer is nothing. They either show up and vote republican or decide not to vote at all.

KHarvey16

It absolutely "means shit." I cannot understand how the fuck people are so desperate to be negative they can't even reason a little bit.

If a district that was R +20 is now R +5, is that important? What do you think that suggests? What can we hope for in an R +10 district?

People need to fucking pay attention and stop tripping over themselves to drop their real talk bullshit on everyone.

The point is it's a barometer for how the political climate is trending. No Democrats are expecting them to run the board on Republicans in Special Elections, because Democrats always struggle more when elections are at random times/days. When turnout goes up, Democrats win more. As it stands, we've got a bunch of R+5, 10, 15, 20+ districts that Democrats are losing by single digits, during a voting period that heavily favors Republicans. Now imagine turnout goes up substantially and people have seen that Democrats can win these places. In 2018 anything that would normally be "Leans Republican" or even some that are generally "Safe Republican" are going to be seats up for grabs. That means Democrats just need to flip anything that's R+5 and lower and can likely take the House back.

These areas were never meant to be this close at all. These are all solid red areas the Democrats keep losing. But they're not losing them by solid red margins.

Althane

Damn Handel pulling away. Republicans really just want for whoever has a R next to the name. She is a horrible candidate.

Is she? She is massively anti-abortion, and that makes her a fantastic candidate for republicans. A great number of Republicans are single-issue voters on that, they refuse to do anything except vote against the "Party of Death".

Politically speaking, she's fairly bog-standard Republican from what I've seen.

cameron

AP called SC 5th to Norman.

Yup.

A8xqBmG.png

UraMallas

SC is a lot closer than it had any business being but Ossoff looks like he'll underperform his polling. The national exposure definitely got the Dems to show up but the Repubs once again showed they will continue to show up. SC being so damn close does show that dems are energized everywhere, imo.

Handel is over 5 points ahead now. She's on her path to doing well over what was expected. I was expecting Ossoff to lose, but the fact that it's not even going to be close is a bummer.

Zyae

NATE SILVER 9:15 PM
So, it’s sort of silly to run a regression based on five data points. But if you do run a regression based on the special election results to date — including tonight’s — it turns out that a 50/50 blend of 2016 and 2012 presidential results is the best at predicting how special elections will turn out this year. In plain English: The Trump turnout patterns of 2016 aren’t necessarily the new normal in terms of what results will look like at the midterms and special elections. Instead, we’ve been sort of halfway in between the new normal and the old normal. So Georgia 6 hasn’t shifted Democratic quite as much as Trump’s performance implied, but neither has South Carolina 5 or Montana shifted toward Republicans as much as you’d guess from Trump’s performance there.

Sounds about right

jph139

Damn, those South Carolina results are crazy. That's nearly a 20 point leap - not a good look for the Republicans.

Knowing them, though, they'll just keep doubling down until 2018 instead of even attempting to dial it back.

Tarkus

Is she? She is massively anti-abortion, and that makes her a fantastic candidate for republicans. A great number of Republicans are single-issue voters on that, they refuse to do anything except vote against the "Party of Death".

She is not a great candidate to those in Georgia tbf

Zyae

Handel is over 5 points ahead now. She's on her path to doing well over what was expected. I was expecting Ossoff to lose, but the fact that it's not even going to be close is a bummer.

you take everything that is negative and exaggerate it and take anything positive and say it doesnt matter. NYT is predicting handel +2.5%

It absolutely "means shit." I cannot understand how the fuck people are so desperate to be negative they can't even reason a little bit.

If a district that was R +20 is now R +5, is that important? What do you think that suggests? What can we hope for in an R +10 district?

People need to fucking pay attention and stop tripping over themselves to drop their real talk bullshit on everyone.

That's a fallacy of probability. There's no proof that one race being closer means another one will follow the same pattern. They are each individual races. That +10 district could jump to +20 or +2 or whatever other number at, at least in theory, the same amount of probability.

What you're doing is just making yourself feel better. Does it show progress? Absolutely, and that should be commended. But let's not act like it's a victory for anyone but republicans.

Appointees are selected from seats that are unlikely to be won by the opposition. These special elections are in the seats republican advisors told trump it'd be impossible to lose. I really hope republican strategists dismiss the blueshift here as thoroughly as you do. In practice, anyone who'd say "shit I'll lose my seat by sticking with trump" from a 1% payoff victory should probably be saying that to a 2% ossof loss. if knowledge of a probable blue wave isn't stopping the with a 22 seat majority, it wouldn't with a 21 seat majority.

That's a fallacy of probability. There's no proof that one race being closer means another one will follow the same pattern. They are each individual races. That +10 district could jump to +20 or +2 or whatever other number at, at least in theory, the same amount of probability.

What you're doing is just making yourself feel better. Does it show progress? Absolutely, and that should be commended. But let's not act like it's a victory for anyone but republicans.

Special elections can be indicative of trends going into the next year's midterm.

~Kinggi~

Banned
There you go. Two losses, bigly win for Trump and GOP, which is all that matters. Have a hearty wave byebye to that dem morale and healthcare. bullshit

Shogun413

What I mean is that she came into the race with lots of baggage and not the best reputation. Plus she has zero charisma. I really think Ossoff should have just moved back to his district. It's a ridiculous error on an otherwise well run campaign.

Zyae

It has nothing to do with probability, it shows national trends, regional trends and demographic trends.

cameron

That flash flood in 6th district affected the voting today.

Maybe not.
Clare Malone 8:48 PM

We previously posted here about the heavy rain in the greater Atlanta area possibly having an effect on the turnout in today’s race (and by “we” I mean Nate). Well, we have some political scientist pushback on that theory! Eitan Hersh of Yale has responded to our original post with an academic paper (geez, talk about big footing) he wrote, the abstract of which — I can’t read the whole thing right now (sorry, Eitan) — notes that rain doesn’t actually mean squat. “While rain decreases turnout on average, it does not do so in competitive elections.”

OK, then.
http://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/georgia-south-carolina-special-elections/

KHarvey16

A fallacy of probability? Is that a joke?

These races are consistently closer than they were previously. We haven't had an election since November, as far as I know, that hasn't trended toward D. There are polling numbers around the country showing generic D up by a lot. These races are bearing out those numbers. Large republican majorities are shrinking. That is NOT a victory for them and you can guarantee they aren't treating it like one when they have frank discussions in strategy meetings.

Please, please, please work to know what's going. Please.

Mully

I wonder if the mail-in-votes or early votes are being counted separately at a later time tonight. The pretty large increase in Handel votes over the last hour leads me to believe that counties are just counting their in-person votes at the moment.

Lol, I think that Silver's last post sums all this up well

If we wind up with Handel winning by like 2 points and Norman winning by about 4 points, that’s by no means the worst outcome for Democrats. In fact, it’s a sort of par-for-the-course one, given expectations going in. But it’s just about the most annoying possible outcome for Democrats, closing the gap in a lot of places, but not winning anywhere yet.

Top Bottom