• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia's 6th Congressional District Special Election |OT| Round 2: Fight!

They have jobs and school to go to. Republicans clean up with the 60+ crowd, the same ones that are at or living out retirement. Young people legitimately have shit to do.

If this was the only opportunity to vote, that would make more sense. I think if more young people wanted to, they could find 30min-1hr to vote over the course of a week or two.

Does Georgia allow mail-in ballots for people staying in their primary counties? I know Florida does. I never even went to a polling station when I lived in FL.

The GOP has candidates that run on lunacy such as "non livable wages" and try to posit being college educated as a terrible thing and its still close.

Just let them enjoy dying from Trumpcare and global warming like they want. You can't fix stupid with better PR.

You also can't fix the Sixth on those two issues, because they aren't very pertinent.

Lo-Volt

So, what's stopping younger people from voting with such fervor?

It's hard to vote?

First, if you're black in a lot of this country, your government doesn't want you to vote. I'm not even going to mince words there. Somewhat related, look at how some states handle primary registration: if I wanted to vote in the Democratic primary for say, New York City's mayoral race this year, I needed to be appropriately registered last year. Well, what if I weren't interested last year, but I am now? Tough luck.

Second, if you're young and you have difficult work schedules you have relatively little control over, it's harder to vote. We don't vote on weekends: we vote on Tuesdays, replete with the logistical difficulties of 9-5ers battering polling stations before or after a rush commute and others working hourly or double shifts getting discouraged from voting. We're sending as many indicators as we can as a society that we don't want young adults to participate in polling stations, I think.

And voting is a habit. Almost by definition, younger people don't have it because they still need to build it. I obviously want all people to cast a vote but we might be unrealistic expecting younger voters to have the voting behaviors (or, I dare say it, the underlying institutional trust needed) of their grandparents!

Patapwn

Would you describe yourself as politically engaged? Do you follow elections closely?

I'm just wondering if you actually consider that perhaps there is a lot of merit to citing the importance of making these races closer and you just don't know enough to understand why. It's a serious question.
Let me tell you what's going to happen. Democrats are going to celebrate any and every grain of hope they can find until midterms where they'll be slaughtered. In 2020, they'll probably win the presidency if trump somehow made it that far but the house and senate will remain with the republicans to the horror of every informed individual.

That's my hot take and I'm sticking with it regardless of how people try to extrapolate

The GOP has candidates that run on lunacy such as "non livable wages" and try to posit being college educated as a terrible thing and its still close.

Just let them enjoy dying from Trumpcare and global warming like they want. You can't fix stupid with better PR.

This district doesn't particularly care about minimum wage jobs

If there aren't "turncoats" with Washington in fucking shambles and with the worst President in history ruining the country what hope is there for 2018?

There is a phenomenon in American politics where voters will have historically low approval ratings for Congress, as a body, something like less than 20%, yet remarkably high approval ratings for their individual congressman. Polls and surveys on the topic consistently show a brain-fuck of cognitive dissonance, with the idea that "congress sucks, they can't do anything, they're a bunch of morons ... oh, but my congressman is alright..."

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Watching CNN now. Handel's HQ seems to be filled with super old people. Ossoff's somehow seem to have more energy, haha.

I don't live in the district but I do live in GA. The type of people that live in Cobb county don't really care about that stuff man.

If this district included West Cobb it would be a lot more competitive, hell id say Ossoff would actually have a good chance at winning. Whoever drew up that district purposely left out West Cobb because there are sizable Black, Hispanic, younger Whites, and college students located here.

KHarvey16

Let me tell you what's going to happen. Democrats are going to celebrate any and every grain of hope they can find until midterms where they'll be slaughtered. In 2020, they'll probably win the presidency if trump somehow made it that far but the house and senate will remain with the republicans to the horror of every informed individual.

That's my hot take and I'm sticking with it regardless of how people try to extrapolate

You'll stick with it because it isn't based on data or reason. If it were, you wouldn't be unwilling to change it.

If this district included West Cobb it would be a lot more competitive, hell id say Ossoff would actually have a good chance at winning. Whoever drew up that district purposely left out West Cobb because there are sizable Black, Hispanic, younger Whites, and college students located here.

Welcome to Georgia. Here's your speeding ticket.

It's hard to vote?

First, if you're black in a lot of this country, your government doesn't want you to vote. I'm not even going to mince words there. Somewhat related, look at how some states handle primary registration: if I wanted to vote in the Democratic primary for say, New York City's mayoral race this year, I needed to be appropriately registered last year. Well, what if I weren't interested last year, but I am now? Tough luck.

Second, if you're young and you have difficult work schedules you have relatively little control over, it's harder to vote. We don't vote on weekends: we vote on Tuesdays, replete with the logistical difficulties of 9-5ers battering polling stations before or after a rush commute and others working hourly or double shifts getting discouraged from voting. We're sending as many indicators as we can as a society that we don't want young adults to participate in polling stations, I think.

And voting is a habit. Almost by definition, younger people don't have it because they still need to build it. I obviously want all people to cast a vote but we might be unrealistic expecting younger voters to have the voting behaviors (or, I dare say it, the underlying institutional trust needed) of their grandparents!

I don't disagree that voter suppression is a very troubling problem. I do disagree with the narrative that young people can't vote because they're too busy when you have the ability to vote early and by mail.

Too everyone using their stats and logic and historic precedent:

giphy.gif

Check. Mate.

Ecotic

This is just depressing. I don't care so much about the national implications 18 months away, but as a Georgian it's been nothing but bad news all my life. We've lost the Governorship, the Senate seats, and even the blue dogs over the past 10 years. Every time we think we'll get close like in 2014 with Michelle Nunn it turns out to be a mirage. The most frustrating part is we're not supposed to be that red.

If this was the only opportunity to vote, that would make more sense. I think if more young people wanted to, they could find 30min-1hr to vote over the course of a week or two.

Does Georgia allow mail-in ballots for people staying in their primary counties? I know Florida does. I never even went to a polling station when I lived in FL.

They absolutely could, but a lot of Southern States don't register Voters when they hit 18, which means spending and hour or two at the DMV to make sure you have your correct ID and are registered, then going to city hall to get a mail-in ballot, then filling it out, and then mailing it in. You think people that work 30-40 hours a week and have college classes 20-30 hours a week are going to want to make time for that? Or the people that have to work 5 days a week and bus an hour to their job, meaning they need to take time off from work and risk losing their job are going to want to do that?

^This guy gets it.

Damaniel

Banned
Yay, another moral victory! /s

The news isn't going to report 'Democrats almost had it yet again this time!' (outside of Rachel Maddow), they're going to say that the Republican won and the Democrat lost, and in the end that's all that matters.

Fuck these Trump supporters, every last one.

DogDude

Karen Handel (Republican) 52.5% 116,806
Jon Ossoff (Democratic) 47.5% 105,615
168 of 208 (81%) Precincts Reporting, 222,421 Total Votes

Lo-Volt

I don't disagree that voter suppression is a very troubling problem. I do disagree with the narrative that young people can't vote because they're too busy when you have the ability to vote early and by mail.

That's also true, but using mail-in ballots and early voting is a relatively new innovation for a lot of the country. I do hope more people take advantage of it regardless of age or political affiliation if they need it. But I also feel like my point somewhat stands: a lot of states have put up effective barriers to younger, less 'stable' voters.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
For whatever irrational reason I'm nervous about early voting and mail in voting. On a personal level I mean. Like that my vote won't be counted

So what is your prediction based of of data and reason dear sir?

The opposing party of the president usually makes significant gains in midterms (barring a couple exceptions with obvious reasons why), combined with a great showing in the special elections of 2017 point to 2018 being a good year for the Democrats.

Even if we ignore the special election results (we shouldn't) it would be unprecedented for the GOP to not lose seats in 2018 based on nothing but historical voting trends.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Jesus, there's a reason guy's like price were picked for cabinet positions. These are hardcore republican districts!

I got shit on a lot before, but I tried hard to tell ya'll not to get too excited and assume Ossoff would lose but it would be a close race. I knew some of you were going to hit hard if he was going to lose. I do admit, though, the fact that Handel did better than expected (or is looking too, 80% in and she's still 5 points ahead) does disappoint me a good deal.

Lo-Volt

Jesus, there's a reason guy's like price were picked for cabinet positions. These are hardcore republican districts!

To their credit, that's how it's supposed to be done. Don't ever choose a cabinet secretary or staffer in a seat you might lose! (Similarly, think carefully before choosing legislative leaders from seats they might not have a really tight hold of.)

Wow, the amount of hate towards Republicans here is impressive. If you voted for Handel you are automatically a bigot, redneck, ignorant or selfish.

You guys are making the same mistake Democrats made with Hillary ,by labeling the other half of the country. When was the last time you convinced somebody by calling them names?

PS: I did not even vote for Trump

Elandyll

Banned
So... Why did the Medias (most I saw) made it a story of how it was a must win for Dems because Trump "only won by 1 pt", when in the previous legislative the offset was like what... 23pts for the Gop candidate?

Even a close loss is very encouraging here imo. We just gotta start winning in actual purple districts.

Top Bottom