• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GfK - PS5 has hit 4M sales in the UK. It took 31 more weeks than PS4, although had a much higher price point; fastest to 4M was Wii, the PS2, then PS4

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire

PlayStation 5 has now sold through four million consoles in the UK, GfK data reveals.

It's the ninth console to achieve that feat in the UK, but took 31 weeks longer to get there than PlayStation 4.

It's the fifth-fastest selling console in the UK, although it has a comparatively much higher price point than those ahead of it. PlayStation 1, for instance (which is the fourth-fastest) dropped to £129 after 76 weeks on sale and was under £100 by the time it reached four million sales.

In terms of revenue, PS5 has generated more than any other console at this sales point, bringing in just under £1.85 billion in revenue (vs £1.26 billion for PS4).

Nintendo Wii is the fastest console to four million (it was also joint fastest to 1m with PS5, and the fastest to two and three million). It had a launch price of £180 and was £140 after three years. PS2 was the second fastest to four million, and was launched at £299, becoming £199 after 49 weeks and was £165 on average by the time it reached four million units.

PS4, which is the third fastest to four million units, was comparatively higher in price, but was still below £300 by the time it hit four million units.

"The days of razors and razorblades when consoles sold at almost impulse-purchase price points, are over," says GfK games boss Dorian Bloch. "Either from launch or by heavy price reductions over time -- Wii, PS1, PS2 and Xbox 360 -- all had low cumulative average selling prices by the time they reached 4m units."

Number of weeks to reach 4m UK sales (GfK data)​

Position​
Format​
Weeks To 4m​
Revenue​
Average Price​
1Wii102£721m£178
2PS2114£817m£204
3PS4161£1.26bn£311
4PS1182£585m£146
5PS5192£1.846bn£460
6Xbox 360193£843m£211
7Switch203£1.07bn£267
8PS3210£1.15bn£288
9Xbox One211£1.22bn£305

Last edited:

vivftp

Cross-posting my take on the PS4 vs. PS5 numbers topic:
I still don't see how the PS5 doesn't beat the PS4 in total lifetime numbers. The PS5's managed to catch up to and remain very slightly behind the PS4 despite all of its hinderances like the supply constraint issues and notably higher price with price increases rather than price cuts. The PS5 has a lot going for it in the second half of the gen that the PS4 had already achieved earlier in the first half of its gen such as:

- The PS4 Pro had already launched by now to give the PS4 numbers a boost. The PS5 will get its Pro this holiday
- The PS4 had GTA5 launch on it in November 2014, only 1 year into the gen. Meaning the PS4 had GTA5 there to help push its numbers for 6 out of its 7 year life span, making the PS4 the primary console for the game (uncertain if the PS4 numbers are higher than PC or not). The PS5 will get its GTA game 5 years into its gen, so a massive mover of consoles is still ahead of us this gen. And yes the PS5 also has GTA5, but by the time the PS5 launched GTA5 had already been out for 7 years and had been out on PS3, 360, PS4, Xbone and PC so its impact had diminished despite still selling well.
- Cross gen wasn't as large a factor for the PS3->PS4 transition and it was pretty much supposed to last 1 year for SIE published games this gen, but got artificially extended due to the pandemic. Then add to that a lot of evergreen titles are cross gen, that gives folks less incentive to make the move to the current gen machines. As time goes on and more evergreen titles and their new entries drop last gen, that incentive for gamers to move to current gen increases.
- In terms of announcing first party content to get folks excited to pick up a console, by this point in last gen Sony had already announced pretty much every single game that was coming for the remainder of the gen and the hype machine was in full swing. This time Sony's playing its cards closer to its chest and there're only a few future games that we're aware of, with some of them landing this year. That said, SIE has a MUCH larger catalog of games for the second half of this gen compared to the PS4 that they're working on, so that hype factor hasn't fully engaged yet. That should get kicked off at a Showcase next month to go along with the Pro reveal.
- The PS4 had received price cuts by this point in time down to $299 USD MSRP while the PS5 is more expensive and has received price increases in many regions. My suspicion is that Sony will reduce the price back down to its original MSRP levels when the Pro arrives to give it a "price cut" and move more numbers.

Also worth noting that the PS5 is ahead of the PS4 in certain key markets like the USA and Japan. Europe is where they'll need to pick up the pace and there's ample time for that. Suffice it to say, the PS5 has a lot of key milestones ahead of it to push numbers that the PS4 had already achieved by this point in its life. Not to mention this gen is very likely going to last longer than last gen by going 8 years compared to 7 years. This is why I don't see a scenario where the PS5 doesn't sail past the PS4 numbers in the end.

On top of that, I think it's worth keeping in mind that the PS4 was a beast in itself and is one of the better selling consoles in history. Roughly keeping pace with that is a very good achievement.

Three

Also worth noting that the PS5 is ahead of the PS4 in certain key markets like the USA and Japan. Europe is where they'll need to pick up the pace and there's ample time for that. Suffice it to say, the PS5 has a lot of key milestones ahead of it to push numbers that the PS4 had already achieved by this point in its life. Not to mention this gen is very likely going to last longer than last gen by going 8 years compared to 7 years. This is why I don't see a scenario where the PS5 doesn't sail past the PS4 numbers in the end.

On top of that, I think it's worth keeping in mind that the PS4 was a beast in itself and is one of the better selling consoles in history. Roughly keeping pace with that is a very good achievement.
PS5 being above PS4 in the US is surprisingly impressive. I think the main reason it isn't ahead of it for the rest of the world is mainly due to price not dropping like it did for PS4 and the PS4 Pro already being released at this point in the gens life.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
PS5 being above PS4 in the US is surprisingly impressive. I think the main reason it isn't ahead of it for the rest of the world is mainly due to price not dropping like it did for PS4 and the PS4 Pro already being released at this point in the gens life.

100% this! It's insane how expensive the PS5 still is.

Top Bottom