• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima |OT| - Summer blade cuts through, the PlayStation shall go on, this is its swan song

hehe i will, they've got a disclaimer saying "Just because some Japanese critics have praised Ghost of Tsushima does not mean that they represent the final word on criticisms with the game's portrayal of Japanese history and culture. No country or culture is a monolith. Many members, including Asian members, have brought up valid concerns about the game, so do not tone police or dismiss their concerns. Anyone that does so will be moderated accordingly", where what problems? problems out of thin air?

The way I’m hearing it some are outraged that an American developer has dared to “culturally appropriate” the game. Apparently only Japanese can make a game like GoT, otherwise it’s racist.

These twats are mentally ill.
The way I’m hearing it some are outraged that an American developer has dared to “culturally appropriate” the game. Apparently only Japanese can make a game like GoT, otherwise it’s racist.

These twats are mentally ill.

If tomorrow a western development studio or a non indian development studio made a game based on Indian epics like Mahabharatha or Ramayana (two epic tales I wish to see it made by CDProjekRed or any of talented studio in America), and if it ends being faithful to the stories told in these tales, I'd be the first to applaud such an achievement.

wait a sec what controversial racial stuff? i am baffled to hear this
The game is made by a western studio, therefore the usual spastics are screeching about cultural appropriation and getting offended on behalf of the Japanese. Then they find out that the Japanese players are loving the game and the dummies double down, effectively saying, "we know better than the Japanese when it comes to what Japanese people should be offended by and if anyone contradicts our utter nonsense then we'll ban them!"

The usual shit.

Edit: beaten to the punch.

Last edited:

FranXico

hehe i will, they've got a disclaimer saying "Just because some Japanese critics have praised Ghost of Tsushima does not mean that they represent the final word on criticisms with the game's portrayal of Japanese history and culture. No country or culture is a monolith. Many members, including Asian members, have brought up valid concerns about the game, so do not tone police or dismiss their concerns. Anyone that does so will be moderated accordingly", where what problems? problems out of thin air?
The game is selling very, very well in Japan. Actual japanese people are not worried about the innacuracies.
It's almost as if they know games are primarily intended to be fun.

The game is made by a western studio, therefore the usual spastics are screeching about cultural appropriation and getting offended on behalf of the Japanese. Then they find out that the Japanese players are loving the game and the dummies double down, effectively saying, "we know better than the Japanese when it comes to what Japanese people should be offended by and if anyone contradicts our utter nonsense then we'll ban them!"

The usual shit.

Edit: beaten to the punch.

Glad people are enjoying the game, it's so good!

Glad people are enjoying the game, it's so good!
I'm really loving it so far. I think I'm about half way through Act 2 at the minute and it's one of those games like The Witcher 3 that'll have me bummed out when it's over. I think I'll platinum this one, I'm having too much fun with it. Hit a mission last night that brought a huge smile to my face. Ghost stance is amazing.

I'm really loving it so far. I think I'm about half way through Act 2 at the minute and it's one of those games like The Witcher 3 that'll have me bummed out when it's over. I think I'll platinum this one, I'm having too much fun with it. Hit a mission last night that brought a huge smile to my face. Ghost stance is amazing.

I am still on Act 1, the side quests have been very engaging. Lady Masako who was revealed in E3 2018, playing through her stories (her past is downright heart breaking :( ). The voice acting has been fantastic too and this is also the second game ever where I've been straying away from main story quests and still having fun through exploration. The previous game was witcher III and now it's Ghost of Tsushima.

FranXico

I am still on Act 1, the side quests have been very engaging. Lady Masako who was revealed in E3 2018, playing through her stories (her past is downright heart breaking :( ). The voice acting has been fantastic too and this is also the second game ever where I've been straying away from main story quests and still having fun through exploration. The previous game was witcher III and now it's Ghost of Tsushima.
Are you playing with voices in Japanese or English?

Are you playing with voices in Japanese or English?

I am playing with english voice overs, they've been great so far(not last of us type great) but still bringing emotion out of a character. I will go for japanese voice overs in my second playthrough. Speaking of second playthrough, do you think we must wait for PS5 boost clock mode for higher frame rate option and experience that way?

PanzerAzel

What's the consensus so far? Is English or Japanese VA the way to go?
I’d say Japanese, but just be aware that you will be missing out on quite a bit of NPC side chatter that isn’t subbed. It’s why I switched back to English, as you often hear them speaking about events in the world you were involved in. In Japanese you’d miss it, so while it’s more immersive because it sounds authentic, it’s still largely exclusionary to the non-Japanese speaker.
———————
On a side note: I’d highly recommend playing this with the minimal HUD option once you know what items in the world are interactive. It forces you to pay attention to the world design, building signage, flowers, and appreciate it all the more and is TONS more immersive. Items don’t glint, there’s no objective markers to speak to people until you’re right in front of them, etc.

Best way to experience this imo but you need a bit of play time to know what you should be looking for.

Last edited:

ToadMan

What's the consensus so far? Is English or Japanese VA the way to go?

I’d prefer to use the JP voices but I’ve completed the main story and about 80% to the plat using EN.

The problem is they’re talking about stuff while you’re fighting so it’s distracting to try and look away from the action particularly in a game focused on timing, group fights and camera controls.

The EN dub is pretty good though. The accents give the feel of the setting without being overdone.

Ulysses 31

Why it's disrespectful to China? They were the first to break through China's Great Wall. They invaded lots of parts of China and some Mongolian descendants in western China, Uyghurs, are being harassed and bullied by the Chinese government right now.
China's doing a bit more than harassing and bullying

ouighours_gare.jpg

There's also reports of organ harvesting... 👀

Last edited:

Exentryk

I always wanted to do this but I don't have elgato

Easy to set up?
Yeah, very straight forward. You connect the HDMI output of PS4 to the Elgato Device, and then the USB cable from the Elgato device to PC. Then download the Elgato software on PC and stream from there after connecting your youtube/twitch account. Fairly easy. Just need a decent computer if you want to stream at high resolutions like 1080p.

Mista

Banned
Yeah, very straight forward. You connect the HDMI output of PS4 to the Elgato Device, and then the USB cable from the Elgato device to PC. Then download the Elgato software on PC and stream from there after connecting your youtube/twitch account. Fairly easy. Just need a decent computer if you want to stream at high resolutions like 1080p.
Thank you brother
Is it possible to max out every skill in this game? I'm starting to get hesitant in what attributes to invest points.
Yes, I did that and now I have 1 technique point hanging there with no place to go

Ar¢tos

Wasn't all the story, text and dialogues in the game proofed by Japan Studio to make sure of accuracy and fix any non-intentional incorrect words/phrasing?

Nankatsu

Just did my first mythic quest and holy shit Heavenly Strike, really good stuff. The way they set-up everything was really cool, and the end of the quest is awesome.

Seriously, this game is just that great. I've probably clocked around +10 hours and I can't stop exploring, I've barely proceed with the narrative after Khan throws Jin of the bridge :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Trying to get that perfect parry right, it's tricky, not gonna lie.

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
Haven't played a lot yet. Still in act 1 just doing side stuff.

Got the first mythic quest done and hoooly shit this game. Died a lot because I suck but it's so damn awsome.

I like this windy mechanic. I also like that I just keep running into things to do randomly. I'll mark something on the map but I'm constantly being side tracked. It's great.

Horse is great. Love that when I'm running he just comes up beside me at the same speed and I jump on and go without skipping a beat.

Also, load times are outstanding. Makes dieing not so bad.

Last edited:

Miles708

Wasn't all the story, text and dialogues in the game proofed by Japan Studio to make sure of accuracy and fix any non-intentional incorrect words/phrasing?

Pretty cool if true.
I admit i didn't plan to get this game in the short term, but this thread is making me fairly curious.

Also, I have the feeling that an eventual GOTY is going to be ps5 only.

Question: is the day one patch really needed? Is the game playable without any patch downloaded?

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Pretty cool if true.
I admit i didn't plan to get this game in the short term, but this thread is making me fairly curious.

Also, I have the feeling that an eventual GOTY is going to be ps5 only.

Question: is the day one patch really needed? Is the game playable without any patch downloaded?
Yes, found it!
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/ghost-of-tsushima-interview-guiding-wind-sie-japan-studio

Of course, what does an American team in Bellevue, Washington understand about Japanese history? Outside of Japanese films and television, and a bit of historical research, not much. Sucker Punch Productions' parent company Sony Interactive Entertainment is a Japanese company though. So the studio pitched the concept to SIE Japan Studio.

"We reached out to them very early and we were like, 'hey, here's this game we want to make. First of all, what do you think? And two, do you want to help us out for obvious reasons?' It was great, they were super excited about it," says Connell. "They flew a number of us to Japan and helped us with a 10- or 11-day guided tour with a historian through central Japan, southern Japan, Fukuoka. We got to go to Tsushima. We actually got to go to the beach that the invasion happened on which is [Komodohama]. So they were very supportive early on.

"With the help of Japan Studio, Sucker Punch also spent time talking to consultants and historians. It needed to know about the history of the invasion of Tsushima. It needed to know how Japanese people from that time lived and how they moved. Sucker Punch even flew in modern-day practitioners of the samurai sword-fighting style to consult on the game and do some motion capture. "They were so freaking fast," says Connell. "We had to ask them to slow down because it was too fast to capture."

The game was completely overseen by Japan Studio and Japanese experts, I really don't get the stupid accusations of cultural appropriation.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Just did my first mythic quest and holy shit Heavenly Strike, really good stuff. The way they set-up everything was really cool, and the end of the quest is awesome.

Seriously, this game is just that great. I've probably clocked around +10 hours and I can't stop exploring, I've barely proceed with the narrative after Khan throws Jin of the bridge :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Trying to get that perfect parry right, it's tricky, not gonna lie.
You can find a shrine that grants you a charm that improve the counter window, it's near the initial area of the game.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
wait a sec what controversial racial stuff? i am baffled to hear this
I think the root of their problem is that it is "imperialist" and also "glorifies war and violence".

Like how come we are killing Mongols and not just painting Japanese Lives Matter on the ground instead?

yes that means there are people with Star Wars and Marvel avatars (movies where literally half the population of the universe is genocided) complaining about glorifying tribalized violence.

you wonder where all these pearl clutchers were when they were jacking each other off over TLOU2 but violence against fantasy evil Christians is perfectly fine. just don't say anything unkind about the direct descendants of GENGIS KHAN.

Last edited:

Inuteu

this is from where? dictatorship ERA?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
so what's recommended: pushing forward with the story or doing side ops?

because im doing the story, finding people to fight with us, but i keep coming across side missions and going off to do those. the map is so taunting as well that i just almost want to sit and do all the side stuff and explore.

but should i just prioritize story instead? then do side missions later? like is there some awesome gameplay stuff that i need to unlock through story? or should i just play however i want?

Top Bottom