• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima |OT| - Summer blade cuts through, the PlayStation shall go on, this is its swan song

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
For the past few days I've been quietly making my way through Jin's story. It's good. Nothing spectacular, but I like the characters & I am enjoying the journey. I've been noticing something special though. This combat system gets more fun the more I play. I think Sucker Punch may actually have crafted something kind of genius here.

At first I went straight for the upgraded stand-off & abused the hell out of it. I regret nothing, it looks cool as fuck. After using it to take out the first couple of enemies, I was falling back on my tried & trusted tactic of learning the parry & dodge windows, playing passively & attacking the spaces. It worked, but started feeling repetitive. Learning the new stances felt a bit cumbersome & I was a bit fingers & thumbs for a while.

A few more hours later & I find myself instinctively scanning the battlefield & switching between stances on the fly. It's allowing me to be more aggressive in fights & I'm feeling a very good, tangible sense of progress. In fact, I'm now switching up all kinds of tactics. The more I level up, the more I'm using the various tools available. The Kunai, smoke bombs, sticky bombs, depending on the circumstances. I've got the long bow & those explosive arrows are handy, even just to cause some fun chaos from the shadows. I unlocked the concentration perk & now I'm getting good at head-shotting those pesky archers before they become a hassle. Levelling up is constantly rewarding because it's constantly opening up new, fun ways to play. Perks feel meaningful & I'm always thinking about the next place to spend them.

Basically, the more I engage with the combat, the more engaging it becomes. It's feeling very special & I'm wondering how far I'll go with it. How much of a badass I'll feel by the end. It's just getting better & better.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
For the past few days I've been quietly making my way through Jin's story. It's good. Nothing spectacular, but I like the characters & I am enjoying the journey. I've been noticing something special though. This combat system gets more fun the more I play. I think Sucker Punch may actually have crafted something kind of genius here.

At first I went straight for the upgraded stand-off & abused the hell out of it. I regret nothing, it looks cool as fuck. After using it to take out the first couple of enemies, I was falling back on my tried & trusted tactic of learning the parry & dodge windows, playing passively & attacking the spaces. It worked, but started feeling repetitive. Learning the new stances felt a bit cumbersome & I was a bit fingers & thumbs for a while.

A few more hours later & I find myself instinctively scanning the battlefield & switching between stances on the fly. It's allowing me to be more aggressive in fights & I'm feeling a very good, tangible sense of progress. In fact, I'm now switching up all kinds of tactics. The more I level up, the more I'm using the various tools available. The Kunai, smoke bombs, sticky bombs, depending on the circumstances. I've got the long bow & those explosive arrows are handy, even just to cause some fun chaos from the shadows. I unlocked the concentration perk & now I'm getting good at head-shotting those pesky archers before they become a hassle. Levelling up is constantly rewarding because it's constantly opening up new, fun ways to play. Perks feel meaningful & I'm always thinking about the next place to spend them.

Basically, the more I engage with the combat, the more engaging it becomes. It's feeling very special & I'm wondering how far I'll go with it. How much of a badass I'll feel by the end. It's just getting better & better.

When you reach Act 3, you will learn something so savage, yet so satisfying, that will make you always jump into fights. Won't tell what it is but I had a blast with it.

shubik

I feel the same way. The moment you get into act 2 you have to step your game up. You have to switch between stances and be constantly on the move. The combat makes you feel sooooo badass. The last time I had this much fun with a combat system was probabaly Bloodborne.

Last edited:
S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
The last time I had this much fun with a combat system was probabaly Bloodborne.

Honestly, now I'm thinking about it. Bloodborne, God of War & Horizon Zero Dawn all had excellent combat with different weapon unlocks & levelling &/or perk systems that felt constantly rewarding & kept gameplay feeling fresh & exciting for the duration of a good play-through of many hours.

& that's just looking at PlayStation. On Xbox I've also enjoyed the combat systems in games like Gears 5, Quantum Break & ReCore. Never mind third-party stuff like Dishonoured 2 or NieR: Automata.

We're getting spoiled with single-player gameplay goodness this gen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The user score is extremely high for such pathetic efforts from full of agenda critics:

ooooooooooo.jpg

Last edited:

Codswallop_

Neophyte
I just want to say that archers are by far the most annoying, asshole enemy types in the game. Especially those douchebags that can quick fire 3-4 shots.

Did you unlock the ability to block arrows? Parry/block/dodge avoids their arrows most of the time, the constant shouting of DOSHO def gets old though.

Codswallop_

Neophyte
This is the most fun I've had with an open world adventure game since Witcher 3/BotW. It's so rare to get these games and actually want to take time to explore the world, they really did an amazing job with it.
The combat keeps getting better as the game progesses too (although the ghost weapons are pretty OP). Maybe it'll run out of steam by the end, but I'm doubtful. Cleared out every square inch of the bottom area, and about 1/3 into act 2. This is definitely one of those games I'll try to get the platinum for. It's not perfect, but I can't see anything topping this as goty for me.

EdZdzP7WoAE082L.jpg

EdjwCy9WkAEknRR.jpg

Edo0APuWsAAmkQS.jpg

EdddRNFWkAUp0GW.jpg

EdcqLD9X0AE1-25.jpg

Did you unlock the ability to block arrows? Parry/block/dodge avoids their arrows most of the time, the constant shouting of DOSHO def gets old though.

I have the block. Its still annoying because they have absurd accuracy from crazy distances...like far enough away that you dont hear them yell.

funny, i wished they would shut up

I just started Act II and they have quickly become priority in combat. I run past everyone else and kill the archers first. I kept dying in an early Act 2 mission because I was being sniped by archers you could barely see over a mound from 200 yards away, but yet, they would hit me every time.

Rikoi

Just finished the end of Act 2. The battles are dope, the story is good, not sure why it has been criticized by someone, the environment is fantastic.
Going to check if I completed everything in Act 2 because I can't travel back right now, on to Act3.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I just started Act II and they have quickly become priority in combat. I run past everyone else and kill the archers first. I kept dying in an early Act 2 mission because I was being sniped by archers you could barely see over a mound from 200 yards away, but yet, they would hit me every time.
yeah they are definitely the most annoying enemies, followed by spearmen.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I read some game journalists stereotyping this game as a having a reductive “Rah Rah War and Imperialism Is Great” message that doesn’t touch on class or common people. Which is entirely bullshit.

For instance right now I’m doing a mission where I am helping an archer find her brother. Together we are working with a local sale brewer who makes deliveries to the Mongols nearby. He uses his job and position to sneak us inside, and along the way, the characters discuss treatment of workers, the burning of a village, etc. Soon enough we get to the Mongol camp and spy on our enemies, who we discover are slavers.

It’s just, how the fuck does a journalist play this game and twist it into something it’s not purely so they can get on whatever pet issue soapbox they want? Like they aren’t even engaging with the text at this point just bad faith exploiting this work for their terrible illiterate political rant. They are so into deconstructionism and tearing down myths so if course they have to tear down the samurai. Ironically it is discussing all this shit in the game but that’s not the narrative now is it? So let’s just ignore it for clicks.

The “game isn’t Kurosawa enough” line I saw coming a mile away, as these snobs love nothing more than to pretend they are experts at all relevant topics (in this case what it means to be Kurosawa) and live to show off how superior they are to the rest of us as movie critics. This is why I can’t stand gaming journalism these people are egotistic idiots.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I read some game journalists stereotyping this game as a having a reductive “Rah Rah War and Imperialism Is Great” message that doesn’t touch on class or common people. Which is entirely bullshit.

For instance right now I’m doing a mission where I am helping an archer find her brother. Together we are working with a local sale brewer who makes deliveries to the Mongols nearby. He uses his job and position to sneak us inside, and along the way, the characters discuss treatment of workers, the burning of a village, etc. Soon enough we get to the Mongol camp and spy on our enemies, who we discover are slavers.

It’s just, how the fuck does a journalist play this game and twist it into something it’s not purely so they can get on whatever pet issue soapbox they want? Like they aren’t even engaging with the text at this point just bad faith exploiting this work for their terrible illiterate political rant. They are so into deconstructionism and tearing down myths so if course they have to tear down the samurai. Ironically it is discussing all this shit in the game but that’s not the narrative now is it? So let’s just ignore it for clicks.

The “game isn’t Kurosawa enough” line I saw coming a mile away, as these snobs love nothing more than to pretend they are experts at all relevant topics (in this case what it means to be Kurosawa) and live to show off how superior they are to the rest of us as movie critics. This is why I can’t stand gaming journalism these people are egotistic idiots.

If anything the game is very soft by the standards of feudal Japan. The protagonist frequently displays a great deal of overt compassion for others, and is always consoling people. He also lets a peasant woman order him around.

Ignore game journalists.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Yeah I’m actually really enjoying the writing and story, feels like it paints a picture of the era from many different perspectives. A major one being regular people and how they are affected by the invasion. After all you are travelling around helping folks all over who are dealing w the Mongols.

Last edited:

devilNprada

This is the most fun I've had with an open world adventure game since Witcher 3/BotW. It's so rare to get these games and actually want to take time to explore the world, they really did an amazing job with it.
The combat keeps getting better as the game progesses too (although the ghost weapons are pretty OP). Maybe it'll run out of steam by the end, but I'm doubtful. Cleared out every square inch of the bottom area, and about 1/3 into act 2. This is definitely one of those games I'll try to get the platinum for. It's not perfect, but I can't see anything topping this as goty for me.

EdZdzP7WoAE082L.jpg

EdjwCy9WkAEknRR.jpg

Edo0APuWsAAmkQS.jpg

EdddRNFWkAUp0GW.jpg

EdcqLD9X0AE1-25.jpg

Go to the black Dye expert that Armor dyed black looks bitchin

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Put the camera speed on fast. Thank me later
I entered this thread just to shit a little bit on the camera. Will try this, so thanks for the advice.

Camera aside the game is great, haven't taken so much screenshots in awhile.

Btw, playing on hard, still in act 1 but most of the enemies are crappy bandits or mongolians wearing rags. I guess this expands later, no?

Exentryk

Honestly, the combat just keeps getting better. The swordplay is so fun! Previously I didn't bother with stances at all, and now I'm switching all the time based on enemies.

Just finished Act 1 and entered the new area. Loved the duel at the end there, especially the setting. (Starts at 1:10:40 in VOD below)

Mista

Banned
I entered this thread just to shit a little bit on the camera. Will try this, so thanks for the advice.

Camera aside the game is great, haven't taken so much screenshots in awhile.

Btw, playing on hard, still in act 1 but most of the enemies are crappy bandits or mongolians wearing rags. I guess this expands later, no?
The camera is very annoying in this game. Putting the speed on fast will slightly make it better at least

As for the enemies, all I can say is kinda.

Exentryk

I don't mind the camera too much, but what annoys me more is the environment doesn't turn invisible when blocking the view. Be great if this can get patched.

My only gripe about the camera was during this specific mission. I had to defend a bulding, enemies would rush inside and fighting in there was terrible.

Keihart

Just stumbled upon a very Witcher 3 like mission, i found a note, followed the tips and ended up in a Shrine. First time happening to me in the game, i guess SP wanted to put more of this and ran out of time to craft them.

idrago01

Banned
If anything the game is very soft by the standards of feudal Japan. The protagonist frequently displays a great deal of overt compassion for others, and is always consoling people. He also lets a peasant woman order him around.

Ignore game journalists.
Been a while since I've had so much fun with combat system from a western dev.

Q3NQSDf.gif
Bravo, there's been so many samurai games that don't get the combat right, this one is just perfect

HotPocket69

Banned

Ignore game journalists.

Did you post your impressions yet?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Ignore game journalists.

For real, just got to...

Act 2, and the way his thief friend spoke to his uncle, the Daimyo, my buddy and I both said, "oh shit, she still has her head after speaking that way to a Daimyo."

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Been a while since I've had so much fun with combat system from a western dev.

Q3NQSDf.gif

What is that finishing move where he draws straight from the sheath at the end? I'm in Act 2 and never seen it outside of showdowns unless I'm completely oblivious

GlockSaint

The black bars cutscene after every villager you save to is getting on my nerves. There should be a way to skip it or fast forward through the dialogue like hzd and ff7r. In the matter of fact the black bars should be patched out entirely.

Keihart

What is that finishing move where he draws straight from the sheath at the end? I'm in Act 2 and never seen it outside of showdowns unless I'm completely oblivious
At first i thought it was the heavenly strike, now i'm not that sure.
Edit: GlockSaint GlockSaint Taking a closer look, it's definetly something else, look at the l1+r1 prompt over the resolve bar.

Last edited:
Top Bottom