• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima |OT| - Summer blade cuts through, the PlayStation shall go on, this is its swan song

Nankatsu

No, a Shinto shrine. It's the charm from the Spring Falls shrine.

I've been on the Spring Falls and didn't get anything. Nani?

giphy.gif

Last edited:

GreyHorace

The way I’m hearing it some are outraged that an American developer has dared to “culturally appropriate” the game. Apparently only Japanese can make a game like GoT, otherwise it’s racist.

These twats are mentally ill.

Westerners can't even make games about white people nowadays because of " white privilege" or some other shit. There's no winning with these woke idiots.

Just know that the weather will change depends on how you play the game. More storm,rain,etc when you play more like ghost.
That's cool and explain why my playthrough doesn't have a lots of storm lol.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Really enjoying this game. Probably around 6 or 7 hours in (any way to check total play time?) and have just been goofing off doing side quests.

The combat finally clicked for me a bit and I think it's actually pretty damn great even though I still suck a bit at counter timing.

Also, holy shit, the ability to block arrows is absolutely crucial. Get that skill as soon as you can.

nowhat

Ok, some of these forced stealth sections with instant fail states really don't work for me. I'm on a quest (this will be very generic, so no spoilers as such) where I need to kill four Ronin without them noticing me. So, I sneak behind the first one to leave the group, easy assassination. After that - I have the chain assassination skill maxed, so I can take down the rest of the three in one go. Except that while I'm able to do so, when I kill the third guy, the game tells me that mission failed, you were spotted. Even though I just killed all of them, so who cares if I was spotted.

I don't mind that the stealth is pretty bare bones, I think it's fine (if somewhat OP), but that's just stupid.

Ok, some of these forced stealth sections with instant fail states really don't work for me. I'm on a quest (this will be very generic, so no spoilers as such) where I need to kill four Ronin without them noticing me. So, I sneak behind the first one to leave the group, easy assassination. After that - I have the chain assassination skill maxed, so I can take down the rest of the three in one go. Except that while I'm able to do so, when I kill the third guy, the game tells me that mission failed, you were spotted. Even though I just killed all of them, so who cares if I was spotted.

I don't mind that the stealth is pretty bare bones, I think it's fine (if somewhat OP), but that's just stupid.
Happened me. Kill the first. Then the two that stop at the cart. Follow the last one and the girl until they stop again and do the last one.

Rikoi

Have you tried using the bow while making sure they don't spot you?

nowhat

Happened me. Kill the first. Then the two that stop at the cart. Follow the last one and the girl until they stop again and do the last one.
Yeah, I figured this would be the case, will take it more slowly. It just feels stupid that you're able to get all these awesome skills, and not be able to use them when the game decides so.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I’m in act 2. I fully upgraded my katana, smaller blade(forget the name) half bow, black powder bombs, and kunai.

I haven’t started the Jin’s journey missions in 2 yet I’ve just been exploring doing all the side stuff and the Tales.

I did all the mythic quests but one, which I think is in act 3.

Rikoi

Yeah, I figured this would be the case, will take it more slowly. It just feels stupid that you're able to get all these awesome skills, and not be able to use them when the game decides so.
I think it has to do with the fact that the game wants you to acknowledge you are becoming a ninja/assassin other than a samurai, take it as a lore excuse, this is why sometimes you get these stealth missions.
If you could just slaughter enemies everytime you would miss this bit of the lore.

Just curious: depending on your Haiku poems answer's, does the design of the headbands change?
I am not sure if this is the case, it's kinda hard to test by yourself.
I was following some logic at the beginning, but I don't even read the options anymore since I don't understand what it would change by choosing different ones.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

I am not sure if this is the case, it's kinda hard to test by yourself.
I was following some logic at the beginning, but I don't even read the options anymore since I don't understand what it would change by choosing different ones.

Would be dope if that happened.

By the way, does this game have (without spoiling what it is) any mini game like The Witcher's gwent or something?

PanzerAzel

Not sure I have the right mission in mind, but I view that as a gameplay concession to further the narrative. Don't you need them to reach a certain spot so a cut-scene will take place? If you kill them all at once, that wouldn't be possible.

I don't mind if a game does this if I'm beholden to narrative. Yeah it's inconsistent and intrusive to agency, but for that small portion to further the game's overall story it's not that large of a sacrifice.

nowhat

Not sure I have the right mission in mind, but I view that as a gameplay concession to further the narrative. Don't you need them to reach a certain spot so a cut-scene will take place? If you kill them all at once, that wouldn't be possible.
Yes, it leads to a cutscene. I guess my main problem is (or was, got past that quest some time ago) is that the instructions are unclear - instead of killing all the ronin, you have to not kill one of them to complete the quest. Oh well, moving on.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Saw some people mention they’re having trouble collecting supplies and resources. If so, be sure to do all the shrines in the act 1 area eventually.

WellSheet

I just started act 2 - didn’t do more than the “introductory” mission of it.

My only “gripe” if you can even call it one, is I’ve been underwhelmed by some of the mission designs. I do have to say, some of the design choices do feel very...2009...the pure explore/fight/loot loop is amazing...I feel most taken out of that with how some of the missions are designed. I’m hoping act 2 starts taking off the training wheels and shocking me a bit more...

That being said - the mythic quests Have all been awesome by far. Best missions in the game.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
What's the consensus so far? Is English or Japanese VA the way to go?
I think the Japanese voice acting is dope and feels so right with the game. The only problem is I have to constantly read subtitles and take my eyes off the game which I don't like, so I usually just play in English just so I can focus on the scenery and gameplay.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I’m in a thunder storm right now raining pretty hard and the lightning is striking the trees! What a badass effect. Haha epic storm

PanzerAzel

There a reason my pic upload fails? Do they have to be under a certain size? Mine are KB and they're still failing. Can't get any to link through the images function either.

Last edited:

gow3isben

Question to anyone about how much is left after act 1? (I do all of side quests but not all markers on map)

Last edited:

Entroyp

Nice, and the other ones are just as long? Hope I don't get too OP by the end, already ripping shit up.

Act II is shorter and act III is even shorter. About being OP before the end, that’s inevitable if you do all the side content before moving on the next act. Are you playing on hard?

gow3isben

Act II is shorter and act III is even shorter. About being OP before the end, that’s inevitable if you do all the side content before moving on the next act. Are you playing on hard?
Yeah, don't get me wrong, still loving it though. Combat is one of the best this generation alongside God of War, DMC5, and Sekiro.

Entroyp

Yeah, don't get me wrong, still loving it though. Combat is one of the best this generation alongside God of War, DMC5, and Sekiro.

It’s funny for me because after watching so many reviews I thought combat would be the weakest part of the game and it turned out to be my favorite. The story is really engaging too.

THEAP99

Banned
finished the game last night.

ultimately, i kinda feel how i felt with days gone. generally somewhat fun to play in short sessions but forgettable and would've preferred i waited for a sale. i can see the appeal and easy to love for others though.

i do think though if they bulk up along with bend, they will be able to put out better games. they both got good experience this gen and the future is bright! not quite sure how suckerpunch would deal with a sequel to ghost though. but i am sure them and sony really want one

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Just finished the whole game today, all collectibles, areas, armors, colors, artifacts etc. Only collecting flowers and bamboo and fighting random encounters is what's left. I feel really empty, it's been a wonderful journey. It's an easy 10/10 and I put it slightly above TLOU2 that deserves as well 10/10 IMHO. I can't see Cyberpunk 2077 competing with any of those, not to mention it's too late for them as the deadline is November 15th for 2020 GOTY nominees.

What a journey, what a wonderful build up of the protagonist and the surrounding characters. One of my best games of all time, and it made me tear twice.:messenger_crying:

gotlandscapes.gif

Last edited:

YoodlePro

What is up with this game??
Due to current circumstances I'm stuck outside my home country and I bought a normal PS4 and there's an old 1080p tv here (I have 4kHDR and PS4 PRO at home), and I really want to play this game but I feel that I would just ruin it by playing on base PS4 on a shit TV...

Bo_Hazem

Banned
What is up with this game??
Due to current circumstances I'm stuck outside my home country and I bought a normal PS4 and there's an old 1080p tv here (I have 4kHDR and PS4 PRO at home), and I really want to play this game but I feel that I would just ruin it by playing on base PS4 on a shit TV...

You might die tomorrow, enjoy life while you can, Sony will deliver another compelling quality games later with PS5, and you can always revisit the game. Enjoy what's available. Buy PS5 and Sony X900H tv later ;)

Top Bottom