• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima |OT| - Summer blade cuts through, the PlayStation shall go on, this is its swan song

Sygma

Really happy to read that you guys are loving it, game is honestly the perfect blend of narrative pacing - gameplay and they didn't miss a single beat with the quests / art style

In my top 5 open world games this gen with Zero Dawn, RDR 2, Watch Dogs 2 and Xenoblade X

Gamernyc78

Banned
Been playing on Hard whole time and it is manageable. Love the story, graphics but the combat is really really where it shines, so so good. I'm even doing tons of side quests bcus thy are fun. If Witcher 3 had this type of combat (not saying samurai stuff per se but the way its executed) I would have enjoyed it. Parry just feels so good, honestly it's my favorite game tht uses parry even like it better than Sekiros feel.

Btw I'm on Act 2, be careful there is a gkutch in the side quest about "missing children by the lake" where you'll examine stuff and you'll just freeze there, just restart the game and go back it should fix it.

Enjoyed the game in the beginning but it has infinitely gotten better. Duels aka boss fights are so well done and feel movie like, this game went from an 85 to a 90 for me 😊

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Plat got. Brilliant experience. I enjoyed TLOU2 a little more because the story was more emotional to me, but the story in GoT, while simply told, was effective with a beautiful ending. Game is at least a 9/10. Fuck DLC, I hope SuckerPunch dive straight in to a sequel with that sweet PS5 hardware. Would love a harder, Sekiro-esque punishing difficulty in the next game because hard was too easy.

Last edited:

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
At first i thought it was the heavenly strike, now i'm not that sure.
Edit: @GlockSaint Taking a closer look, it's definetly something else, look at the l1+r1 prompt over the resolve bar.
Same i thought it was heavenly sword but it doesn't look that way.

Ohhh I think its Dance of Wrath. It didn't click cause he wasn't attacking multiple baddies. I never noticed it starts with that animation though and he holds the blade like that. Thats dope

I think I'm done with this game. I tried giving it a week break, but it's still as boring as ever. The effects in this game are beyond obnoxious. I was fighting a battle and I couldn't see shit for the glaring sun, blowing...everything, and giant flowers. The stealth is beyond OP. I just walked around 1 camp and sliced everyone without anyone even batting an eye. This was on hard, too

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

The more I play, the more I absolutely fall in love with this game. I adore every aspect of it: the art, the setting, the exploration, the combat, the tales.

I have yet to even use fast travel; I love riding my horse Nobu everywhere.
Agreed, I barely fast travel too. Not only is the world beautiful but the horses are the best I’ve seen since BotW.

Everything in this game coheres flawlessly, it’s incredibly well done.

Nankatsu

The effects in this game are beyond obnoxious. I was fighting a battle and I couldn't see shit for the glaring sun, blowing...everything, and giant flowers. The stealth is beyond OP. I just walked around 1 camp and sliced everyone without anyone even batting an eye. This was on hard, too

You're joking right? I've done tons of fights and it never happened to me. The worst I got into was having a huge bush in front of me blocking my view, but was able to get out of that angle quickly.

Mr Branding

Been playing on Hard whole time and it is manageable. Love the story, graphics but the combat is really really where it shines, so so good. I'm even doing tons of side quests bcus thy are fun. If Witcher 3 had this type of combat (not saying samurai stuff per se but the way its executed) I would have enjoyed it. Parry just feels so good, honestly it's my favorite game tht uses parry even like it better than Sekiros feel.

Btw I'm on Act 2, be careful there is a gkutch in the side quest about "missing children by the lake" where you'll examine stuff and you'll just freeze there, just restart the game and go back it should fix it.

Enjoyed the game in the beginning but it has infinitely gotten better. Duels aka boss fights are so well done and feel movie like, this game went from an 85 to a 90 for me 😊
It's above 90 for me, coming into this with no expectations and was blown away. Securely landed in my top games of all time. Such a masterfully done open-world, and an astonishingly beautfiul one at that.
I mean come on, that late title card punched me in the feels.
Thanks for the glitch shoutout. Was about to jump on that side quest since I felt it sounded cool.
The combat really does open up, and mixing in some ghost tech in a middle of a huge fight feels great. It's exactly what I wanted AC to be but without the animus mumbo jumbo, infinitely better combat, and tighter gameplay.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Just did a story mission that made me feel so fucking epic. Haven’t felt this way since the Spider-Man game.

Lol word, then you got ppl making up stories about how the side quests aren't tht good, really? The side quests have been cream of the crop, top tier imo. I can't stop doing them.

Ar¢tos

The dudes welding Murakumo/Kusanagi are brutes or sword weilders?
They aren't as big as the mace/halberd guys but the Stone stance doesn't seem to be very effective.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Finished platinum run today, great game. If I had to compare it to anything else it'd be AC:Odyssey. Like both games for exactly the same reasons.

shubik

Finished platinum run today, great game. If I had to compare it to anything else it'd be AC:Odyssey. Like both games for exactly the same reasons.
I haven´t completed Ghost yet (second act) but comparing it to Odyssey is just straight up disrespecting Suckerpunch and their work of art :D

Odyssey was a slog with horrible writing, repetitive missions, and bad combat design. Ghost is the exact opposite of Ubisoft's generic bland open worlds that I can´t bring myself to even finish.

Keihart

Godammit the level desing it's good. The more ninja you get, the more the levels are designed for it. Also, the open fields are like designed for cool encounters and the game hardly slows downs with a bunch of enmies at the same time.
The more i play, the more this feels like infamouse in japan, but at the same time, there is a care to the quests that infamouse never had, so that is cool.
The game feels so weeb, i love it.

Edit: Also, water stance flurry for everything, it's the most bad ass combo in my opinion.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Spent like 6 hours over the last two days just going in deep on mostly side quests. I'm absolutely loving this game and am continuously blown away at how they just nailed the combat. I enjoyed the original InFamous, but never thought Sucker Punch was all that great at combat mechanics. They truly outdid themselves with this game.

Just took down Azamo bay, unlocked sticky bombs and my god. The combat is seriously so fluid and supports so many cool things which are also effective as well though. Genius.

Just about to do that one next. I wish I unlocked the firecracker tool earlier. It's way OP when you're on top of a building and have multiple assassinations unlocked.

Last edited by a moderator:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
So I'd been playing this on OG PS4 and then switched to PS4 Pro last night.

It definitely looks way better; but the load times are also noticeably worse.. honestly might switch back to PS4 regular. Feels like the framerate at times is slightly worse or is that just me?

edit: OK I found the setting.. definitely switching to performance mode

edit2: Oh hell yeah, load times are so much better too w/o those high rez assets.

Last edited:
You're joking right? I've done tons of fights and it never happened to me. The worst I got into was having a huge bush in front of me blocking my view, but was able to get out of that angle quickly.
Nope. It was honestly kind of hilarious. There was so much shit on the screen lol

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I finished it today. Overall I'd give it a 9/10. The combat was interesting enough to keep me entertained the whole way and the story is well done. I still have lots of stuff that needs to be done on part 2 and 3 if I want to fire it up again. The game really packs in tons of optional content.

Gediminas

Banned
Lol word, then you got ppl making up stories about how the side quests aren't tht good, really? The side quests have been cream of the crop, top tier imo. I can't stop doing them.
side quests are beauty in this game. every one of them. all are different with good writing. all are interesting. we are talking here highest quality of side quest in whole gaming.

Lady Masako's tale was just perfection!

shubik

side quests are beauty in this game. every one of them. all are different with good writing. all are interesting. we are talking here highest quality of side quest in whole gaming.

Lady Masako's tale was just perfection!

Have to agree here. I did all the side quests in the first act before even finishing the main missions. This is a first in my gaming life. In my opinion, the sidequests are even better than in Witcher 3.

Great writing with a strong connection to the game world. Definately best in class.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Still in act 1, taking my time with sidequest (a joy) and exploring (great joy). So far I'm liking this far more than Witcher 3 or even Red Dead Redemption 2.

Story not bad, haven't seen a lot of it since most of my playthrough has been sidequests, which are from good to great. Combat is far better than I expected. Stealth? Bitch please, I'm a samurai. And boy, dem graphics! Game looks gorgeous, and unlike God of War or TLOU2, it doesn't make my PS4 Pro turn into a jet engine.

Didn't feel any hype prelaunch, and now I'm so glad I finally buyed this.

ToadMan

Finished the plat today. Yeah I love this game. I hope there’s a decent size dlc to play on PS5 - that would probably make me more excited for PS5 than anything else.

2 comments.

1. I wish there was a way to replay the duels. They were very cool. I’d hoped you could replay them by returning to the duel location but no. They could make it a “recollection” to let us replay them without breaking the game world consistency.

2. Yuriko’s tale

For only a 2 mission side story this was quite emotional. They really wrote that well. I wouldn’t have wanted any more of it but they conveyed her aging and increasing dementia and memories of better times very well. "

Awesome game.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
So, i just finished the game. Wow, what an experience.
Several times it managed to stir my emotions quite heavily.

Regarding the Endings: which do you guys consider the good and which the bad ending?
The Honorable one, where you kill Shimura feels better at first, as they part as father and son followed by Jin crying in anguish after the Kill. But after the credit you wake up in a gloomy surrounding, implying this is bad.

While on the other hand you have the Dishonorable Choice to spare Shimura, which hase them part without love, but after the credits you wake up in a sunny environment and a living uncle governing the island
I cant quite make up my mind which is more „correct“ or fitting.

Last edited:

Vade

Has anyone done the math or tested whether max Ronin armor does more damage than max Clan Saki armor?
One says 30% the other says major and on hard it seems to be the same honestly.

Rikoi

So, i just finished the game. Wow, what an experience.
Several times it managed to stir my emotions quite heavily.

Regarding the Endings: whichdo you guys consider the good and which the bad ending?
The Honorable one, where you kill Shimura feel better at first, as they part as father and so, followed by Jin crying in anguish after the Kill. But after the credit you wake up in a gloomy surrounding, implying this is bad.

While on the other hand you have the Dishonorable Choice to spare Shimura, which hase them part without love, but after the credits you wake up in a sunny environment and a living uncle governing the island
I cant quite make up my mind which is more „correct“ or fitting.
This is my point of view
I think the correct ending is the one where you kill Shimura.
He always lived by honor and the honorable death is what he desires, instead of living a life of shame for being spared.
He had no choice, either die or keep hunting Jin until the end of his life, because he was ordered to kill him.
Also it's more emotional, an impactful ending to a great game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom