• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima |OT| - Summer blade cuts through, the PlayStation shall go on, this is its swan song

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Yeah the samurai auit is essential on hard im finding. Because of the bonuses. Ronin is ok for forts and camps if you get your kills down

I used Samurai's for bosses but I've transitioned to the mythical Samurai armor. It's so OP you can get past the straw hat duels by button mashing alone, almost.

Hal.

Just platinum’d this beauty today. I will give it a 9.5/10 only because the camera was getting in my way sometimes. I recommend people to play on Hard.

Can’t wait for SPs next game.

Edit: 9.0/10 for not having a NG+ option 🤬

How long did it take, fam?

NG+ I'd love to see a proper Kurosawa style high risk/reward, as in one good slash to an enemy and they die (but same for you).

bender

What time is it?
I only got to that point to pull all that off after 20+ hours. Also, it’s not like you HAVE to fight that way. That was just an example of using all the tools and powers at your disposal and how to easily take advantage of the explosive arrows when enemies are bunched up like that a la Shadows of Mordor. What you see as a “joke” I see as awesome and fun.

Thanks for checking out the vid though! Have fun continuing to cry about the game I guess lol

To be fair, you get Kuanai early in the game and they seem overpowered as they break guard/stun enemies and negates the need for a lot of the mechanics (stance switching, praying ,dodging) and makes a lot of the upgrades (skill trees, weapons, armor sets, charms, etc) seem unnecessary. Same can be said for sticky bombs. Variety in dispatching your enemies is great, but that will only take you so far. I've definitely hit a wall with the game. I'm loving the characters and story, standoffs are fun and duels are really enjoyable and , but slaughtering waves of the same handful of enemy types is starting to feel like a rote chore that I have to overcome to get to the next bits of the game I enjoy.

I'm not saying that combat is bad and it does remind me a lot of Assassin's Creed or the Batman/Spider Man combat systems, but oddly those game's systems never weighed on me as much as Tsushima has. Maybe it's the lack of a combo meter? Or maybe the other duels are so enjoyable that I wish the rest of the encounters were more meaningful and less plentiful.

HotPocket69

Banned
Done

OsMPmIY.jpg

Entroyp

How long did it take, fam?

NG+ I'd love to see a proper Kurosawa style high risk/reward, as in one good slash to an enemy and they die (but same for you).

There’s no time tracking feature in the game, so my guess is around 30-35 hours.

Esca

Just played for a good bit. I'm not terribly far because I get side tracked really looking at everything. I stuck at the combat and lowered the difficulty but I'm having a lot more fun not redoing encounters multiple times.

The game is just beautiful most the time. I love watching the wind go through the field and the petals and fireflies are blowing around. I haven't went out of my way to explore so much in an open world game in awhile

PanzerAzel

this combat man:

10 enemy killed with op bow
a couple with kunai
a couple with bombs
a couple with OP ghost mode
6-7 with op unblocakble move

you showed exactly how much of a joke is the level of challenge in this game.

when yesterday i discovered that there was even a ghost mode to make things more simpler i was like

i mean, i guess that for people who only wants a samurai\ninja power fantasy this game is perfection in what he does.

the sequel desperately need a bushido blade mode at launch.

I find the majority of the problem stems from an imbalance of the technique point allocations. The game is far too liberal with them early on, you can get near maxed out even before you reach Act II if you pursue all the side-quests and camps.

I'd like it to be a bit more challenging too; what I don't want them to do is to compromise the lethality of the combat. The game does a great job of making the katana feel lethal and uncompromising when used well. I don't want to see enemy sponges. Just tone down the opening up of the skill tree until a bit later.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I find the majority of the problem stems from an imbalance of the technique point allocations. The game is far too liberal with them early on, you can get near maxed out even before you reach Act II if you pursue all the side-quests and camps.

I'd like it to be a bit more challenging too; what I don't want them to do is to compromise the lethality of the combat. The game does a great job of making the katana feel lethal and uncompromising when used well. I don't want to see enemy sponges. Just tone down the opening up of the skill tree until a bit later.
they need to make mongols less susceptible to ninja tools, made resolve much harder to get and make stealth less op, also more enemy variety.

Shantae

Banned
Still not out of Act 1 because I'm doing ALL of the side stuff, but I love it. Game of the generation for me. Easily.
Yeah, I haven't gotten close to being done with Act 1 yet because I just keep running around and doing stuff. I've filled out most of the map, but still got plenty to do in it.

I must admit, I am pleasantly surprised with this game. I had no intention on buying it at first, but I'm really liking it. I'm feeling bad with how much I'm playing it though, like I need to go out more, but I like playing it so much. For days I've just been sitting for hours and hours playing this, and I'm not even done with the first act lol.

I need help on a sidequests

the quest where you fight the 5 strawhat ronin. I'm fighting the last guy in the cave and fuck this fucking fuck. I swear this fight is bullshit. What tips/charms should I be using?

Entroyp

the quest where you fight the 5 strawhat ronin. I'm fighting the last guy in the cave and fuck this fucking fuck. I swear this fight is bullshit. What tips/charms should I be using?

Aw man I had such a hard time with that one. What worked for me was keeping my distance and using whatever staggering bonuses I could get through armor and charms plus a lot of parrying.

MastAndo

Try the Charm of Mizu-No-Kami (Parries, Perfect Parries and Perfect Dodges are easier to perform) - I was having a bit of trouble with Korjiro until I remembered I had at charm but wasn't using it. Equipped it and beat him on the very next try. Also, perhaps it's obvious, but make sure you've got good dueling armor (like Sakai or Gosaku for the stagger), and/or charms equipped for health and melee damage. Any little bit helps.

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

Git gud.

Seriously though, for me? Turning it down to easy, was too impatient to get the armor. Then on my next play through after I had more practice, I wrecked him on hard, first try.

Last edited:
Does anyone lnow which war is based on?
I know mongols tried 2x

the next game has to be based on mongol empire cramblkng-

im guessing ghost is the real namd of the game, the next could be called

Ghost of ____

Entroyp

Does anyone lnow which war is based on?
I know mongols tried 2x

the next game has to be based on mongol empire cramblkng-

im guessing ghost is the real namd of the game, the next could be called

Ghost of ____

The mongol empire fell many years after the the two unsuccessful campaigns in japan. I guess we could have another game based on the second invasion though.

JimiNutz

Banned
I've been taking my time with the game so far but my character seems ridiculously over powered at the moment so I've pushed on into Act 3.

Almost straight away it started forcing me to use more stealth (up until this point I've tried to go full Samurai whenever the game allows me).

Having to play longer extended sections of stealth gameplay has been a bit of an adjustment for me but I think I'm gonna start upgrading the Ghost trees and embrace the way of the Ninja

Easily my game of the year and I'm still not finished, I'll be finishing the story tomorrow. I could have finished it tonight but I wanted one more day with it before I got to the end. I love the story, the writing, the acting, pretty much all of the characters and obviously the graphics and art style. Gameplay feels great too but a lock on feature or at least making sure the camera kept all enemies who could attack you in view would have been nice.

triplejjj

Neo Member
Hmm, played for the first time, clocked in about 3 hours. I'm not sure how I feel about this game, for whatever reason, after playing FF7R other PS4 games graphics (especially when it comes to human models) seem so bad in comparison. Before jumping into Ghosts, I finished Spiderman and I can't believe the game didn't get destroyed for how bad the human models looked. Jin and Yuna look so...off...I don't know how to describe it.

Finding the combat to be relatively boring/bad as well, I'm a big fan of bloodborne/sekiro combat, so I'm not sure if its because its too early or not, but it feels so repetitive/boring.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Hmm, played for the first time, clocked in about 3 hours. I'm not sure how I feel about this game, for whatever reason, after playing FF7R other PS4 games graphics (especially when it comes to human models) seem so bad in comparison. Before jumping into Ghosts, I finished Spiderman and I can't believe the game didn't get destroyed for how bad the human models looked. Jin and Yuna look so...off...I don't know how to describe it.

Finding the combat to be relatively boring/bad as well, I'm a big fan of bloodborne/sekiro combat, so I'm not sure if its because its too early or not, but it feels so repetitive/boring.

Imo 3 hours isn't enough to fairly judge it. Even combat was off to me at first but now im enjoying it so much im fighting every single enemy i see lol.

shubik

It´s simply too early. Combat and its full potential will only open up once you get to act 2. Trust me this a GOTY contender. Also, I have to disagree on the character models. Even NPC´s look good.

Mista

Banned
Later today, patch 1.05 for Ghost of Tsushima will be released, bringing new combat and text options.

This patch includes the following new updates:
New difficulty level: Lethal

• – Enemy weapons are more deadly, but Jin’s katana is also more deadly
  • – Enemies are more aggressive in combat
  • – Enemies detect you faster
  • – Tighter Parry and Dodge windows

Patch 1.05 will also include the following new options in the accessibility menu:

Lower Intensity Combat

Lower intensity mode is meant to maintain the heart and feel of Ghost of Tsushima combat while relaxing several timing-specific elements. Combat is less intense, giving you more time to react. Stealth settings are more forgiving, and enemies take longer to detect you.

• – Most enemy attacks which are normally unblockable become blockable when Lower Intensity is enabled. Blocking with L1 will keep you safe from more attacks than standard combat, though some attacks must still be dodged.
  • – Enemies break off their attack combos after damaging you, giving you a chance to recover before the next wave of attacks. In addition, your heavy attacks will interrupt attacks from Brutes, giving you another way to stop their combos.
  • – Enemies will not attack you while you’re using Resolve to heal
  • – Enemy awareness builds more slowly, giving you more time to recover after being spotted
Text changes

• – Large Text option: Increases text size of subtitles, mission objectives and interact prompts by 150% when enabled
  • – Added option to turn speaker name off when subtitles are enabled
  • – New subtitle text color options in addition to white: Yellow, Blue, Red, Green
Patch 1.05 also includes additional bug fixes.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Fuck me, a tighter parry window? I thought Hard was fairly decent on that. Fair but tough.

Just got to Act II anyway, went back and did some forts etc. Crosswed the border and then they say Oh noes, they've set up more camps which pissed me off.

I just got to act 2 yesterday but just kept on doing everything in the first island. I have 22/24 liberated. Its so easy to get side tracked in this game lol.

shubik

I never played Zelda BOTW so I can´t compare it but I just love the freedom you have in Ghost and how you can just experience the world and still get all the shit done.

The way I play it is: I set a marker to a part of the map I haven't been yet and just go. And everything I come across I just do. I find a shrine? Sure let´s do it. A side mission? Cool. Then after two hours I finally get to the marker and do the stuff I initially planned on doing. You just get lost in this gorgeous world.

Every little side missions feels meaningful. Each story they tell me is interesting and feels like it belongs in this world. I also love that Suckerpunch didn´t shy away from more complex stories and events. Some of them are really sad and have a somber tone. They just nailed it.

And every once in a while I get to the main story mission and it is even better than anything I described so far! I still haven´t finished act 2 but I can already confidently say that this is one if not THE game of this generation for me. I loved The last of us 2. I loved GOW, I loved Red dead. But no other game made me feel this way yet.

Bartski

Gold Member
so I beat the game, got plat, went on playing, got every single collectible, slayed hundreds of Mongols and NOW they're putting a difficulty mode in that the game should be played on.
Good troll SP, now I have to start all over

I never played Zelda BOTW so I can´t compare it but I just love the freedom you have in Ghost and how you can just experience the world and still get all the shit done.

The way I play it is: I set a marker to a part of the map I haven't been yet and just go. And everything I come across I just do. I find a shrine? Sure let´s do it. A side mission? Cool. Then after two hours I finally get to the marker and do the stuff I initially planned on doing. You just get lost in this gorgeous world.

Every little side missions feels meaningful. Each story they tell me is interesting and feels like it belongs in this world. I also love that Suckerpunch didn´t shy away from more complex stories and events. Some of them are really sad and have a somber tone. They just nailed it.

And every once in a while I get to the main story mission and it is even better than anything I described so far! I still haven´t finished act 2 but I can already confidently say that this is one if not THE game of this generation for me. I loved The last of us 2. I loved GOW, I loved Red dead. But no other game made me feel this way yet.

BoTW is on another level of freedom. However, Ghost of Tsushima is a masterpiece in it's own right.

GymWolf

Gold Member

There is nothing in tsushima or spiderman that looks as bad as some ps1 texture or backgrounds in ff7, if anything these games are palate cleanser after that uneven piece of crap.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Wanted to see if honey moon period would blow over, guess what? Side missions have gotten even better and fights more bad ass. Game is sublime. I'm going to do all side missions which says alot bcus I Def didn't do tht with Witcher 3 or many other open world games 😊🔥🔥

Last edited:
Top Bottom