• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier |OT| The Future Is Here... Finally

You guys do realize it's outsold Max Payne 3, eh? It's had the best EU launch of any Ghost Recon game in the franchise (and maybe NA too, though I don't know that one for a fact).

I agree that chatter on GAF is low.

Woah. I can't say I saw that coming; that's not to say that it's undeserved, but outselling a Rockstar game is no small feat. Congrats to you and the team, Pyronite!

And yeah, chatter is low. It always has been with anything GR:FS related, but people are obviously playing the game now, so that's okay.

Also, dude, "confence" on the menu news feed? That's meant to say "conference", right? Ha. CLASSIC GR:FS <3.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Woah. I can't say I saw that coming; that's not to say that it's undeserved, but outselling a Rockstar game is no small feat. Congrats to you and the team, Pyronite!

And yeah, chatter is low. It always has been with anything GR:FS related, but people are obviously playing the game now, so that's okay.

Also, dude, "confence" on the menu news feed? That's meant to say "conference", right? Ha. CLASSIC GR:FS <3.

There's a bunch of typos in the campaign too.

This is seriously giving Gears 3 a run for its money in terms making me feel pure, unadulterated rage. Never have I seen such incompetence. Never have I seen so many dregs of society gathered in one gaming lobby. Never have I cursed so much (and so loudly) in my entire fucking life. It is doing my head in; I actually have migraine.

Losing the objective with seconds to go after having held it comfortably for 3 minutes... Getting shot by an enemy whilst arming a sensor RIGHT FUCKING NEXT TO OUR SPAWN as soon as it has appeared... This list goes on and on. I think I've forfeited maybe 50,000xp in rage-quitting. I'm simply not the type of gamer that can sit back and get steam-rolled as I single-handedly keep my whole team afloat, regardless of the points at stake.

I love the game, but this is not healthy for me at all. So, yeah: go and die if you're shit at this game. You're ruining it for me.

We should start a therapy group, seriously. Part of me hopes the game becomes unpopular over night so all those inept idiots would finally leave.
It's not the games fault either. With all the visual cues and aids, it goes to show that the console market is the wrong audience for tactical shooters. The few people actually playing the game cooperatively are so vastly outnumbered by complete and utter imbeciles, it's not even funny.

The tragic thing is, that Ubisoft decided to completely rip out all options for custom games. No weapon restrictions, no gadget restrictions, nothing. Nothing at all. Custom Matches have only one option: How long the match will be...

I'm really enjoying the multiplayer in this game. It really forces players to work together quite a bit. That is easily the best aspect of the online component.

Lima

You guys do realize it's outsold Max Payne 3, eh? It's had the best EU launch of any Ghost Recon game in the franchise (and maybe NA too, though I don't know that one for a fact).

So it has sold well but everyone is just playing single player and guerilla? Because 60k people on the 360 at peak times is not good.

Really? Wow, that's pretty impressive. I guess it's just localized to GAF?

Pyronite

So it has sold well but everyone is just playing single player and guerilla? Because 60k people on the 360 at peak times is not good.

I couldn't tell you what the official stats are on max players. I know we were looking to break AC:R's record of 100k at one point.

Sojgat

We should start a therapy group, seriously. Part of me hopes the game becomes unpopular over night so all those inept idiots would finally leave.
It's not the games fault either. With all the visual cues and aids, it goes to show that the console market is the wrong audience for tactical shooters. The few people actually playing the game cooperatively are so vastly outnumbered by complete and utter imbeciles, it's not even funny.

The tragic thing is, that Ubisoft decided to completely rip out all options for custom games. No weapon restrictions, no gadget restrictions, nothing. Nothing at all. Custom Matches have only one option: How long the match will be...

The problem is the lack of a tdm mode, so there is nowhere for those who just want to run around shooting each other and ignoring objectives to go. I know the idea was probably to force people to play the objective type game modes, but it seems like it just sort of backfired.

Apocryphon

You mean this past week or since launch? Across all platforms?

I'm finding that hard to believe, but if indeed it turns out to be true, it's a fucking crime.

Max Payne 3 is stellar in almost every single way and one of the most polished titles at launch in recent times. In comparison, Future Soldier is a complete, ugly, buggy mess.

Ha. I'm glad I'm not the only one. And you're right, it's not the game's fault at all; it's simply people refusing to align with how it's meant to be played, or being too incompetent to realize it. And of course, having decent TPS chops is always a big help. The worst is when your team is that good that they - myself included, admittedly - become overly complacent and lose an objective at the death knell.

I just recently migrated to the Scout Class after reaching Lvl. 34 with my Assault boyz. As quite the cherry on top, my last round as an Assault soldier saw me sided with one of the most competent teams I've ever played with and my dive-rolling was seriously smangin', as well. Ridiculous KDR and FUN was had.

The assault rifles are fantastic; they make switching to SMGs quite the jarring transition. Being forced to play differently is very enjoyable, though.

So, favey maps for everyone?

I'm gonna say Cargo and Alpha, off the top of my head. They look nice and flow wonderfully; minimal spawn-camping, too.

You mean this past week or since launch? Across all platforms?

I'm finding that hard to believe, but if indeed it turns out to be true, it's a fucking crime.

Max Payne 3 is stellar in almost every single way and one of the most polished titles at launch in recent times. In comparison, Future Soldier is a complete, ugly, buggy mess.

Ignoring the fact that comparing MP3 to GR:FS is a bit of a stretch, it's completely subjective. Having clocked MP3, I can tell you that it still suffers from Rockstar's patented janky controls and does not hold a candle to the fluidity of FS, which feels like a born and bred TPS; MP3 feels like GTA4 modded to be more of a TPS. Don't get me wrong, it controls fine, but it's still fucked enough for me to take issue with it, especially when such a game basically hinges on how it controls. Anyway, such a juxtaposition is purely one of mechanics vs. presentation. MP3 wins out compre-fucking-hensively in the latter, but loses out in the former. Shoot-dodging actually gets old.

Add me in the therapy group. Was playing the other night, capturing a objective, and had a teammate guarding the door. Finally, thought I had a decent team of randoms. Wrong. Enemy proceed to come through the door and the teammate watched while he killed me while I was, like always, 1% away from getting full control of the objective. Then the guy proceed to slaughter my whole team in the room. Turned off the game and haven't put it back in. Lord have mercy, they should of put a deathmatch mode in for these idiots.

smik

the really need to up the character customization, literally nothing you can add to your character other than a head skin, wtf.

no pants,boots,vest & jacket variations of any kind, they dropped the ball here as all the characters look the same when your on the battlefield. UI is very messy and frustrating to navigate, way to many load screens, frame rate is spotty and the sub hd graphics are a big let down.

still though, im enjoying the hell out of the GRFS & the gameplay it has to offer, the next GR iteration has alot of upside to improve upon which is good.

Larger amount of retail versus maps (12-16) expanded amount of total guns and a revamped UI along with some detailed characters customization will go far imo.

despite the technical flaws GR:FS is still well worth the purchase.

the really need to up the character customization, literally nothing you can add to your character other than a head skin, wtf.

no pants,boots,vest & jacket variations of any kind, they dropped the ball here as all the characters look the same when your on the battlefield. UI is very messy and frustrating to navigate, way to many load screens, frame rate is spotty and the sub hd graphics are a big let down.

still though, im enjoying the hell out of the GRFS & the gameplay it has to offer, the next GR iteration has alot of upside to improve upon which is good.

Larger amount of retail versus maps (12-16) expanded amount of total guns and a revamped UI along with some detailed characters customization will go far imo.

despite the technical flaws GR:FS is still well worth the purchase.

That's the thing. I know I may come across as somewhat of a tunnel-visioned fanboy with this game, but there is certain magic/x-factor about the gameplay that makes it unique, fun, addictive and substantial enough to justify a purchase. That being said, in nearly every other facet, the game falls short, but they've nailed the important stuff.

smik

I Agree.

I have played so many online shooters that failed on developing simple and fun gameplay mechanics, The dev team really did a great job as the gameplay is Ace, its actually what has kept me away from GOW3 for the moment.

Outselling Max Payne 3 is an amazing feat in its own, if they could iron out these issue for the next GR, woah, its going to be huge.

I Agree.

I have played so many online shooters that failed on developing simple and fun gameplay mechanics, The dev team really did a great job as the gameplay is Ace, its actually what has kept me away from GOW3 for the moment.

Outselling Max Payne 3 is an amazing feat in its own, if they could iron out these issue for the next GR, woah, its going to be huge.

Ha. Oh, man. I don't even want to think about how shit I would be at GoW3. That game requires constant upkeep and skill honing. And yeah, I'm happy to take Pyronite's word as truth, but it's quite the claim. I mean, didn't Rockstar manage to sell a buttload of copies of LA Noire, for christ's sake? HORRIBLE game. Marketing wizardry. And MP3 is half-decent!

Apocryphon

Ignoring the fact that comparing MP3 to GR:FS is a bit of a stretch

Two third-person shooters, releasing for the same platforms, both featuring ranged combat, linear narratives and competitive online multiplayer modes. Of course you can compare the two.

Having clocked MP3, I can tell you that it still suffers from Rockstar's patented janky controls and does not hold a candle to the fluidity of FS, which feels like a born and bred TPS; MP3 feels like GTA4 modded to be more of a TPS. Don't get me wrong, it controls fine, but it's still fucked enough for me to take issue with it, especially when such a game basically hinges on how it controls.

This has been discussed ad nauseam in the MP OT and is utter ass. While movement in Payne isn't as fluid as Future Soldier, it's far and away better than GTAIV. People that believe otherwise need to go back and actually replay Grand Theft Auto. If anything, it's much more like Red Dead Redemption. Are the controls clunky? Mayhaps, ...though I'm not sure they are. They DO increase the believability that Max is a middle-aged has been who's abused his body to excess. Convenient? Sure, but it'd be jarring if the guy moved like a twenty-something special forces operative.

Still, the game controls fine enough for people who have completed the (long) campaign to jump straight into the New York Minute mode without complaint.

Anyway, such a juxtaposition is purely one of mechanics vs. presentation. MP3 wins out compre-fucking-hensively in the latter, but loses out in the former. Shoot-dodging actually gets old.

I dunno. I found the excessive handholding, a weak attempt at "tactical" gameplay with the syncshot mechanic and a completely unnecessary revive mechanic that does nothing to punish unskilled gameplay more tiresome than shootdodging my way through MP3.

The GRAW games were superior in tone and presentation to Future Soldier. They weren't perfect either, and while I enjoyed the "weightiness" of the characters and the sticky cover system, many others didn't. But both were far more impressive than this game, and it's a real shame because it could have been so much more. The Call of Duty game have awfully weak campaign modes too and people accept that because they're actually interested in the online components. But here, the campaign and guerilla modes are extremely weak, and the competitive multiplayer alone, while fun for the most part, isn't worth the RRP. I loved the previous games, loved the RB6V games, even enjoyed Conviction for all it's flaws, but I bought this at launch and feel like I've been ripped off.

Some people seem to feel as though the game is drawing a lot of unfair criticism because of how it "looks". It can't be argued that any aspect of the game is visually pleasing and I'm not sure how this far into the generation, with standout titles like BF3, Crysis 2 and The Witcher 2 this could be deemed acceptable. Hell, at times the game can look as rough as Skyrim and for the most part it doesn't even look as good as Spec Ops: The Line... another massively underwhelming game that had plenty of promise. The image quality doesn't even match up to SOCOM 4.

Story, dialogue, character models, environment textures etc are all sub-par. It has nice controls and animations though and it appears to be selling. Good for Ubi, but let's hope Patriots is way better eh...

Yeah, I agree with you for the most part. And I should have made it clear that I'm drawing on GR:FS purely as a MP game here and ignoring the campaign, which I consider to be pretty terrible from what I've played. That being said, I'll admit that I'm pretty tough to please in that regard, i.e. I hate the CoD campaigns, couldn't make it through GoW3 (despite it being my favourite game) and barely made it through UC3 & MP3. For me, as a general rule, 90% of these games show their true and better form as adversarial MP games, with MP3 being an exception. 'Tis just the type of gamer I am.

Presentation is an important part of any game; if anything, I value it more than the average gamer, so your complaints are definitely being heard on my end. I guess our main point of disagreement lies in that I think GR:FS is worth a purchase for its working and fun MP components, no matter how scarce they may be and no matter how much mediocre shit may surround it, whereas you don't, which is totally fine.

On the flipside, I can't say the same for MP3 as I did not at all like the way it played as an adversarial MP shooter and feel that the campaign's replayability is practically killed by the pacing and unskippable cut-scenes. And as for the, 'it lends realism to the movement of a middle-aged/old man' argument, I can't really reconcile with that. Fairly sound debunking lies in the fact that "weightiness/friction" has been executed in other games farbetter, e.g. Killzone 2/3, GoW3, etc.

Again, this all comes down to the old addage: "to each their own", so I've no beef with you, Majik. Your points be valid!

Anyway, slight derailing going on hyah. Moving on.

SUPREME1

Banned
Picked the game up on Friday evening and played for probably about an hour and a half to two hours. Felt like the controls were a little clumsy/laggy but the more I played the better I was able to manage it all and I started to like it more.

Played a few more hours over the weekend and really started to get into the campaign. I don't usually do SP on shooters, but I've always done them on Clancy games and this was no different.

Had me wshing for a new Splinter Cell, so I was disapointed with the details surrounding the Blacklist announcement. Oh well.

Hope they release a new R6 soon.

ShogunX

Lost more levels on multiplayer for no apparent reason for the second time.

Went from a level 35 Riflemen down to a 28, Level 9 scout to a level 7 and a level 7 Engineer to a level 5.

So random and ridiculous. Game is an unfinished piece of shit online

Lost more levels on multiplayer for no apparent reason for the second time.

Went from a level 35 Riflemen down to a 28, Level 9 scout to a level 7 and a level 7 Engineer to a level 5.

So random and ridiculous. Game is an unfinished piece of shit online

Jesus. That's pretty bad. Commiserations. I'm guessing you lost the accompanying unlocks, too?

Ha. I played maybe the worst match yet the other night and funnily enough, it was because my team was too good. It was a disgusting display of relentless spawn-camping and killing. Being a lowly range-gimped Scout, I barely had any impact on anything. It was tremendously boring.

Also, the P90 and PP19 (Ghost & Bodark Scout, respectively) are that much shitter than the starting SMGs. I hate it when a game does that. Reward me, damn you!

Other than that, I've been having some stellar games recently and when both the game and myself are on song, I love it to bits.

Linch

Neo Member
Apologies to anyone who has been wanting GAF Squad stuff over the past week, I went to a music festival for 6 days haha. Got back today and will start sorting through invites etc tomorrow when I have a clearer head as I need sleep right now.

Quick question, has this been patched yet?

Lima

Nope.

Double XP was crazy. Went from 32 to 50 over the weekend, scoring 15k a match minimum.

Kinda burned out now though. Love the fact that you can choose a weapon from Bodark for Ghost and vice versa once you reach level 50.

Apologies to anyone who has been wanting GAF Squad stuff over the past week, I went to a music festival for 6 days haha. Got back today and will start sorting through invites etc tomorrow when I have a clearer head as I need sleep right now.

I expect a match this saturday night then :D

Got a strange problem with the campaign and checkpoints.

I started up a new campaign and played with some friends up until the very beginning of mission 12 (the end of the intro cut-scene), and then quit out. A few days later I loaded that same save and chose to replay some earlier missions through the "Mission Select" option and take out a few tactical challenges and play around in the gunsmith firing range.

So I meet up with my buddies online again a few days later and we go to start up mission 12 and its not an option in "Mission Select". It ends at mission 11, which we beat last time. And in this case "Continue campaign" will put me right back at mission 3, the mission I had just replayed a few days prior.

Thinking this was just some fluke I load up Mission 11 again through "Mission Select" and we beat it., again Instead of moving us to the next mission I get bounced back to the lobby with two options: "New Campaign" and "Mission Select", which once again only shows missions 1 to 11.

We've now completed mission 11 three times over and I don't see any way at all to proceed to Mission 12. Do we have to start a new campaign and play all the way through, in order, to unlock it?

So I finally beat the game(I got this on launch day). It proved to be quite difficult for a friend and I to find time where we were both available at the same time to actually play the game. We decided before the game was out we would only play the game co-op together.

I did quite enjoy the campaign, but it may be cause I am out of touch with the recon games(I skipped GRAW+2) it really had no direction imo. It was just jumping from place to place so following the story(if there was one) was difficult. It kind of killed any replay ability for me however I might replay it on PC some time down the track with hope for some better graphics then the 360 copy that I played. A few bugged sections when waiting for the teams to stack up near a door was quite frustrating also. The AI just seemed to get stuck so a few times we had to restart a checkpoint.

7/10 for me(campaign). Action scenes were quite well done. There always seemed to be a way to do it stealth mode, whether you had the skills/experience to pull it off though was another thing. This lead to some interesting battles. Sneaking up on people and my friend and I both stealth killing people at the same time was also pretty cool. A clearer story and better graphics would have easily got a 9/10 for me.

Got a strange problem with the campaign and checkpoints.

I started up a new campaign and played with some friends up until the very beginning of mission 12 (the end of the intro cut-scene), and then quit out. A few days later I loaded that same save and chose to replay some earlier missions through the "Mission Select" option and take out a few tactical challenges and play around in the gunsmith firing range.

So I meet up with my buddies online again a few days later and we go to start up mission 12 and its not an option in "Mission Select". It ends at mission 11, which we beat last time. And in this case "Continue campaign" will put me right back at mission 3, the mission I had just replayed a few days prior.

Thinking this was just some fluke I load up Mission 11 again through "Mission Select" and we beat it., again Instead of moving us to the next mission I get bounced back to the lobby with two options: "New Campaign" and "Mission Select", which once again only shows missions 1 to 11.

We've now completed mission 11 three times over and I don't see any way at all to proceed to Mission 12. Do we have to start a new campaign and play all the way through, in order, to unlock it?

i ran into something similar, do you have multiple campaign saves?

if you play the missions as standalone not using the "continue campaign" option it doesn't unlock the next mission

I had a save I was using while playing through solo and one I was playing through coop with a buddy and accidentally picked the latest mission we were at instead of doing continue campaign and it didnt unlock the the next one. The good thing is the missions unlock globally between campaigns so as I was playing through my coop campaign it unlocked the missions in my solo save so I could go back through and play them over if I wanted to too in there.

Hope that helps

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I hope I'm purchasing the PS3 version of the game. Seems like GAF has liked it. Would love to co-op Guerrilla mode with a friend. Shame about the lack of campaign splitscreen.

I still remember how they said that the entire campaign could be played by 4 players. Damn it, Ubisoft.

Anyone know why the PC version was pushed back 2 weeks when it was 2 days from release?

To add extra DRM.
;_; I hope not.

Anyone know why the PC version was pushed back 2 weeks when it was 2 days from release?

its been shrouded in mystery since they announced it, only thing they've shown so far are the specs and like 10 screenshots, last I checked there was no footage out there at all. They barely acknowledge it exists on the official forums

seems pretty shady, I'd expect a buggy incomplete POS at this point at launch if I were you

if this is supposed to be a straight port of the console game with better graphics, you would think they would have been tripping over themselves to show it off. The circumstances behind all the secrecy and the delay should have everyone's spidey sense tingling

mujun

I'm really enjoying the campaign in this game. I like the variety, level design and gadgets. Didn't expect to have so much fun with it.

I finally finished the campaign last night with a buddy and it was about as good as what I expected going into it.

PROS
  • I really liked the presentation as I thought the cutscenes within the missions were handed well, they looked good and masked the loading very well in most spots.
  • I didn't really have a problem with the graphics, yeah it isn't on the same level as say a Battlefield 3 or Gears of War (any of them), but I thought they made up for it with lots of detail in the environments and great animations
  • I liked the layout of the missions, as there wasn't too much far fetched even with all the gadgets, the way most of them played out fits with what I would expect of "special forces" where for the most part you try to be stealthy but have to plan and adapt if shit hits the fan.
  • One of the unique things that this game does so well as the callouts your team makes, especially during the gunfights, they were very helpful in keying in on threats. The callouts during the stealth phase were ok, although they got a little repetitive.
  • Challenges, I only have about 4 total left, but they def added some good replay value. I specifically enjoyed the sniper one on Mission 2 and some of the ones where you need to stay undetected. They had some cool ideas here.

CONS

• The Sync Shot with the A.I. pretty much breaks the game as I thought, its a win button that you can sit back and complete prob 75% of the game with. That and the fact that you got a slowdown mode after the shots is B.S. Really! As if it wasn't powerful enough, I get to takedown a 5th target everytime too! Poor design at it's finest and completely takes away a lot of the authenticity they were marketing. I wish I would have experienced the campaign the 1st time thru with 4 human players as it would have been so much more enjoyable.
  • The "intel" (sensor grenades / drone) speciically also diminishes the game overall by making it way too easy to spot and kill enemies. It's a shame because the enemy A.I. isn't half bad, but they are at such a disadvantage that you rarely see any of what they are capable of. Game is really easy besides a few somewhat challenging sections.
  • The story starts out fine and goes to shit about halfway thru. The entire goal of the 2nd half of the game is pretty ridiculous IMO. Pretty convenient that the new guy (Kozak) speaks Russian huh, and it seems like the Ghosts worked more for the benefit of Russia than they did for the US. I think they could have done a lot better here, especially after watching something like Act of Valor recently. Is it really hard to think up a video game story that's even half as good as that? Cmon devs...
  • Bugs. I ran into a few obvious ones that QA should have caught. There are a couple missions where the squad A.I. gets lost or stuck and never arrives at door breaches. I've replayed each mission a few times and there are 3 instances off the top of my head that happened everytime, where I was forced to restart a checkpoint. Sloppy stuff.
  • Speaking of breaching, the slow-mo hold your hand door breaches were unacceptable. Rainbow Six: Vegas had a good system that allowed for creativity and was accessible. You could have just copied that. Breaches are a pretty intense part of the action and all that was taken away with the scripted nature of them. I didn't so much mind some of the other slow on-rails sections as they were few and far between and mostly were good changes of pace, but the doors were annoying.

All in all it was pretty enjoyable, a lot more so that GRAW2's campaign which I thought was a turd and probably more enjoyable that GRAW's campaign as far as quality. They are a long way from what made Ghost Recon great, but they struck a good balance and kept a vet of the series pretty happy for the most part. I'd encourage those on the fence to give it a look when the price drops a bit.

Crossing my fingers that one of these upcoming DLC modes brings back Firefight/Coop Elimination now...

Hope that helps
Thanks. Well it sounds like I'm screwed and the only way me and my co-op buddies will see mission 12 as a group is to start over and make sure we always "Continue Campaign". Thats pretty lame and it would send most games right into the used bin, but GR has one saving grace, and thats how it does some of the co-op scenes. I figure my main co-op buddy will start a new campaign this time and I'll help him work through it, and this time he'll control the Warhound and I'll see the game from a slightly different angle.

[*]Challenges, I only have about 4 total left, but they def added some good replay value. I specifically enjoyed the sniper one on Mission 2 and some of the ones where you need to stay undetected. They had some cool ideas here.
The way the game is structured, including challenges just seems so backwards at times. The only way you see what challenges you've accomplished for a mission is to load that mission up from the lobby, skip the opening two cut-scenes and drill into the details. Thats just sloppy. You see a weapon or attachment in Gunsmith that's locked, most of the time it only tells you the name of the challenge you need to complete, but not the mission. Some of the challenges require that you've replayed the missions enough to have certain segments committed to memory, only to unlock items that only have use when once again replaying missions. What seemed in the PR to be some real thought put into replaying missions ends up feeling pretty flat and unrewarding, especially since you can't then take your unlocks into Guerrilla mode.

[*]The Sync Shot with the A.I. pretty much breaks the game as I thought, its a win button that you can sit back and complete prob 75% of the game with. That and the fact that you got a slowdown mode after the shots is B.S. Really! As if it wasn't powerful enough, I get to takedown a 5th target everytime too! Poor design at it's finest and completely takes away a lot of the authenticity they were marketing. I wish I would have experienced the campaign the 1st time thru with 4 human players as it would have been so much more enjoyable.
This is truth here. That easy button gets a lot more tense when its player driven and relies upon patience and communication. Co-op is the baseline way to play.

All in all I've enjoyed my time with the game and the variety of scenarios in the campaign, when it didn't glitch out, or when the Ubi servers didnt drop us, and while we were still making progress. Guerilla mode is kind of a letdown though. Its filled to the brim with shotgun rushers which either make playing the mode with two players feel next to impossible since each player needs eyes behind their heads and on the side of their skulls, or it follows the formulaic ultra-defensive and boring formula of having each player hold one side and defend it easily when dealing with 3 to 4 players. That and I expected more than two HQs in a map.

Its "pretty good", but with baffling design decisions, mediocre replay/reward systems, glitchy AI, unskippable cut-scenes and weird campaign checkpoint issues that cut our campaign playthrough short. Buy it at a discount or if you know you can play it co-op.

Crossing my fingers that one of these upcoming DLC modes brings back Firefight/Coop Elimination now...
Wouldn't that be nice. I'd definitely prefer it over Guerilla, but it would need Gunsmith support for me to bite.

Jamesways

I would never stop playing this then. That's my biggest bitch. The sync shot is weak, but I can work around it, but taking out the best mode for both co-op (and sometimes SP alone) is a travesty.

apparently they did some maintenance to address the loss of progression today
https://twitter.com/#!/GhostRecon

and did a Cloud Update with some changes yesterday:
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/683421-June-14th-update?

OP - UPDATES section has been updated

Cloud Update #1 - 06/14

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/683421-June-14th-update?

On June 14th at 4 pm UTC*, we will release a new update for Ghost Recon Future Soldier. This Cloud Update will include the following changes:

Weapons:

• Adjusted AK-47 Recoil/Firepower;
  • Increased Rate of Recovery on low rate of Fire LMGs;
  • Decreased Recoil and Firepower of Sniper Rifles, increased dispersion in Aim;
  • Modified Ammo Counts for Extended Mag/Drum Magazine (AK-200);
  • Amended description of FN Five SeveN in Gunsmith.
Experience:

• Increased the values of XP for Challenges;
  • Increased the Radius for XP Bonus for using Equipment near Objective.

Maps:

• Moved several objective locations (Mill, Sandstorm);
  • Fixed several map exploits.

A fix to address the progression loss issues some might have faced is scheduled to go live during an extended maintenance period, tomorrow at 10:00 UTC.

Along with the above changes, we addressed an issue that prevented some Ghost Recon Network users from connecting. We will continue to introduce modifications to improve the online stability.

As with any Cloud Update, you won’t have to download anything on your console: the changes are transparent and happen in the background. There will be a 30 minutes downtime of the servers to release the update - see below.

For someone who loved Advanced Warfighter, is this game worth picking up for $60? Is there offline co-op? I'm trying to decide whether to pick it up or wait till a price drop.

zlatko

Banned
While the campaign thus far has been your typical run of the mill military shooter, it does it quite well. It's not my favorite shooter campaign, but it is enjoyable. It has a lot of style going for it, a few decent one liners, and some interesting set pieces/scripting.

Jamesways

I've really liked it so far. I'm on the last mission of the campaign, and with the tactical challenges there's plenty of replay for me.
I'd say it's worth it. The gameplay is really solid.

No offline co-op splitscreen I believe. I had a buddy over and we had to play the Guerilla mode online/recover his GT to do it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I've really liked it so far. I'm on the last mission of the campaign, and with the tactical challenges there's plenty of replay for me.
I'd say it's worth it. The gameplay is really solid.

No offline co-op splitscreen I believe. I had a buddy over and we had to play the Guerilla mode online/recover his GT to do it.

The last level is really, really terrible.

Top Bottom