• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier |OT| The Future Is Here... Finally

So I never thought to ask this question in the beta, but at the end of the round what does the hourglass symbol mean by your name for exp rewards?

Good question, Zlatko.

I always thought it meant that you just levelled up with the XP of said round, but I don't think that's right.

dankir

Just beat it. The SP story is jusy plain and boring tbh. No twists, seemingly just a bunch of random events lead to the ending. The gameplay is great for the mostpart but no effort in SP story. Rainbow Six Vegas was much much better.

Anybody encounter the glitch where you complete a missions tactical challenge? I completed some very difficult ones, saved and turned off my 360. Came back and finished the mission and all the challenges I beat were listed as "not complete" There's lots of stupid technical issues. The lip synching wtf Ubisoft you guys didn't even try.

AnnSwag

angry @ Blu-Ray's success
Just beat it. The SP story is jusy plain and boring tbh. No twists, seemingly just a bunch of random events lead to the ending. The gameplay is great for the mostpart but no effort in SP story. Rainbow Six Vegas was much much better.

Anybody encounter the glitch where you complete a missions tactical challenge? I completed some very difficult ones, saved and turned off my 360. Came back and finished the mission and all the challenges I beat were listed as "not complete" There's lots of stupid technical issues. The lip synching wtf Ubisoft you guys didn't even try.

Because they mixed so many development teams together.

george_us

Both GRAW games are some of my favorite games this generation. Does this one live up to those expectations as far as SP go?

Bodark's introduction was pretty awesome.

I kind of wish that I didn't get the game.

GGs in GM mode though

What's so shitty about GM, out of curiosity? I've never really seen the appeal in "Horde" modes or modes against AI in any game, to be honest. I'm glad that the game ticks the boxes in the adversarial modes, apart from a few issues here and there.

What's so shitty about GM, out of curiosity? I've never really seen the appeal in "Horde" modes or modes against AI in any game, to be honest. I'm glad that the game ticks the boxes in the adversarial modes, apart from a few issues here and there.

I played alongside RS4 tonight so maybe I can answer:

problems with GRFS's Guerrilla Mode (I've only played 2 maps so far and have survived as far as Wave 35)

1) You change HQ's every 10 waves but they only bothered putting 2 unique HQ's in the Shanytown map we played, so you basically go back and forth to the same two locations each time the HQ changes and both were very similar in layout. Seems like there was a missed opportunity to give you some more interesting HQ's to defend.

2) You can't use Gunsmith and choose your loadout, so you start with shitty guns with no scopes or good attachments and through 35 waves there wasn't much of an upgrade in your weapons.

3)A.I. is pretty decent, but not much variety in what kinds of enemies you encounter, outside of guys with Riot Shields, and Snipers and RPG guys on rooftops. They make the regular soldiers bullet sponges at higher levels to artificially increase difficulty. Guys were taking full clips to the head to go down towards the end of our "run" tonight. Not sure what the answer is to this, but it doesn't hold up as well as something like Gears of War does as they can throw all kinds of different enemies/monsters at you to keep it fresh.

As far as the "appeal" of playing against the A.I. All the previous versions of Ghost Recon had pretty fun modes you could play against the A.I. which over the iterations of the game had improved quite a bit. Playing Co-op Elimination AKA Firefight with a bunch of buddies was what made Ghost Recon great to me and my friends for so long. Now that's been "replaced" with a pretty lackluster experience as Ubi tried to capitalize on the "popular" mode from so many other games.

On a good note, I replayed Mission 2 from the Campaign tonight and completed the weapon challenge "Overwatch" and have to say it was very clever how they set that up. The challenge is to kill 10 enemies with a sniper rifle without moving from one place. There's only 1 part of that mission I think you can do it at and it requires a good deal of "recon" to set everything up yourself. You guys should try it out without looking for any walkthrough videos, they def captured the very essence of Ghost Recon in this challenge.

Doesn't feel like Ghost Recon to me... it's more like Socom 4 mixed with R6:vegas - which I would think would be awful, but I really, really enjoy this game. I rented it expecting to hate it and have since hit "keep it" from gamefly. There's definitely balance that needs to happen online, and the single player isn't Shakespeare... but I have a lot of fun with both.

I think basically this is an arcade tactical shooter, where ghost recon pre-graw used to try to be a realistic tactical shooter. Both have their merits, and i still would have preferred this to go the realistic route, but I'm surprisingly happy with how it turned out.

I haven't tried co-op yet though. That sounds kinda boring. You can do the campaign co-op as well, cant ya?

Sojgat

Noobtube thing is total bullshit on some maps. It discourages flanking campers, If snipers get dug in on an overlook the best option is to just start a big sniper war. Are there any equipment unlocks at higher levels that solve this problem? Oh, and the lag can just get awful at times, if Ubi get whatever the problem is sorted out the MP could be fantastic.

I hate how in the Decoy gametype, the final Demolition objective is almost always located right next to defenders spawn.
It makes it extremely difficult to win as attackers, not only do you need to exterminate their entire team, but you also need to setup a spawn camp.
Unless the whole team is coordinating, it is nearly impossible.

Sojgat

So many fucking retards playing this game. It. Is. Infuriating.

Are you perhaps referring to teammates who run up and shoot incapacitated players while you are trying to hack them? I had one douche do this to me twice in one round, I actually had to put on my headset and explain it, so stupid.

Are you perhaps referring to teammates who run up and shoot incapacitated players while you are trying to hack them? I had one douche do this to me twice in one round, I actually had to put on my headset and explain it, so stupid.

Haha. Not exactly, but wow, that is tier 1 spaz. I'm more referring to my team as a collective unit, especially when a new objective is set, at OUR spawn; an objective that I'm arming within seconds of it even arising and STILL the opposition somehow gets through and kills me a millisecond before the arm.

Guys.

Come, now.

Guys.

Come.

Now.

Jamesways

As far as the "appeal" of playing against the A.I. All the previous versions of Ghost Recon had pretty fun modes you could play against the A.I. which over the iterations of the game had improved quite a bit. Playing Co-op Elimination AKA Firefight with a bunch of buddies was what made Ghost Recon great to me and my friends for so long. Now that's been "replaced" with a pretty lackluster experience as Ubi tried to capitalize on the "popular" mode from so many other games.

I hear you on this. I loved Elimination with friends, it was fantastic in GRAW and GRAW2. And the mode was great because you could play it multiple ways, sneaking and constantly moving around the map, or you could dig into a position, start a firefight and let them come to you.

It was also fun because you could play it by yourself when your friends weren't online. You could sneak through the map and pick them off and move away to hide.

In this GM mode now, it's damn near impossible to get through many waves by yourself, your stuck in one spot and they flank you from so many places.

MechDX

yea I agree, it's a disappointment

good games nonetheless to you, DX and RS4

you probably won the code as you crushed the rest of us on the scoreboard most rounds with your Rambo-like ways :)

Thats another thing that sucks about GM: doesnt track overall scores or kills. SOrry about the "oops" moments I had last night. lol

So Bo gets the code? PM'ing now.

smik

GRFS is amazing, enough said.

went 47-7 tonight on Conflict, playing with some friends tonight against another party, so much fun playing collective as a unit.

kinda bummed on the map count, but still this will most probably be my go to shooter atm. Gears 3 is going to take a back seat.

MechDX

went 47-7 tonight on Conflict, playing with some friends tonight against another party, so much fun playing collective as a unit.

kinda bummed on the map count, but still this will most probably be my go to shooter atm. Gears 3 is going to take a back seat.

Yeah MP is fun till you take some extra shots and areb laying there bleeding out while your team mate stands ON TOP OF YOU and doesnt even bother to try and heal you....

One other thing: That weird issues happened again last night in MP! Before the match I check all my loadouts on both factions. Go into a MP game and BAM! Load outs all reset back to defualt. After match I back out and check and all my presets are still there.

Go into another match and they work...who said the game was trolling me last night?

smik

Yeah MP is fun till you take some extra shots and areb laying there bleeding out while your team mate stands ON TOP OF YOU and doesnt even bother to try and heal you....

lol playing with Randoms on GRFS can be very annoying especially when no one uses mics, i very rarely play in party's these days as im usually lone wolfing

idk for some reason GRFS enticed me to get back to my roots and get some buds together and play some good ol team work.

Must be missing something about Decoy...

Our team was defending and the objective was down to the last of the set of three. We spent 5 minutes holding off the team, then at 00:00 the game doesn't finish.

To our surprise, the C4 objective appears on the other side of the map (where seemingly most of the opposition now are) and the squad simply can't get there on time. Objective fills up and we lose.

I feel so fucked over right now. It's fantastic fun but there seem to be some massive oversights and some even stranger glitches.

I feel exactly the same way. I'm really digging the core mechanics; shooting is fun, traversal is even better and the Gunsmith is practically grounds for human-video game relations. I've also ushered Gears 3 onto the bench for GR:FS (I still love you <3). Sure, with a shit team, it can make me rage something shocking, but when it's fun, it's fun.

Anyway, some little details that have really won me over:

The alternative animation for the initial reload of a dual magazine is a very nice touch. It doesn't seem much, but I have a feeling that many other games would simply sped up the animation in an unnatural way, or abruptly cut it short.

The running animation seems to have been crafted in such a way (or so I'd like to think) as to show off your primary weapon. As average as the graphics are, the weapons look awesome when adorned with a buttload of bells and whistles. It's nice seeing some serious service for what are arguably the stars of any shooter.

Also - a tip - you can run directly to an objective using the Cover Swap, i.e.it will highlight the objective. Strangely enough, you still have to press and hold X once you get there, which is a bit misleading. A nice feature, nonetheless.

Linch

Neo Member
lol playing with Randoms on GRFS can be very annoying especially when no one uses mics, i very rarely play in party's these days as im usually lone wolfing

idk for some reason GRFS enticed me to get back to my roots and get some buds together and play some good ol team work.

It's definitely better with friends. I'm really enjoying the MP and SP at the moment, not tried any co-op.

If people want friends, the GAF Squad now has 5 members, just going to keep adding to it. Doesn't have to be hardcore players, just people who want others to play with for GRFS.

I played some with JohnRanger56, just myself and him, and just having one person to work with made the game instantly better.

I went back to GRAW2 after playing some GRFS and it feels very sluggish and old in comparison to GRFS. While GRFS certainly isn't the greatest sequel, and may stray even further from the Ghost Recon routes, it does feel like a good evolution of it. Still some glitches and issues they need to to fix in MP, but (despite them jacking us with the DLC) I think I will get the Arctic Strike DLC as more of this game, with hopefully some title updates, and it is/will be a great change from COD.

MattDoza

The alternative animation for the initial reload of a dual magazine is a very nice touch. It doesn't seem much, but I have a feeling that many other games would simply sped up the animation in an unnatural way, or abruptly cut it short.

The only other shooter I've played that had such a thing as "dual mags" is Call of Duty. And it had an alternative animation for it.

It's actually making sense that a lot of the Gears folks are having fun with this. I didn't(the beta being my only time with Future Soldier) think the hits felt as good as Gears(dem gibs), but I can definitely see the movement speed, gunplay, and map and team size being a comfortable and familiar transition. I never even thought about how much the sprint was like the roadie run until long after playing the beta.

I hate how in the Decoy gametype, the final Demolition objective is almost always located right next to defenders spawn.
It makes it extremely difficult to win as attackers, not only do you need to exterminate their entire team, but you also need to setup a spawn camp.
Unless the whole team is coordinating, it is nearly impossible.
team work
though it is a problem on a map or two.
thank god they nerfd the beta frags.

It's definitely better with friends. I'm really enjoying the MP and SP at the moment, not tried any co-op.

If people want friends, the GAF Squad now has 5 members, just going to keep adding to it. Doesn't have to be hardcore players, just people who want others to play with for GRFS.

I played some with JohnRanger56, just myself and him, and just having one person to work with made the game instantly better.

I went back to GRAW2 after playing some GRFS and it feels very sluggish and old in comparison to GRFS. While GRFS certainly isn't the greatest sequel, and may stray even further from the Ghost Recon routes, it does feel like a good evolution of it. Still some glitches and issues they need to to fix in MP, but (despite them jacking us with the DLC) I think I will get the Arctic Strike DLC as more of this game, with hopefully some title updates, and it is/will be a great change from COD.

I'm on the GAF Squad and the GAFGhostReconFS tag. If you guys see me online playing feel free to message me if you want to link up for whatever, MP, Co-op Campaign or Guerrilla

Just bossed a game with 30 kills and a couple of deaths. 249 points to 314.. about to win the game by arming in the last ten seconds with a team fully covering me.

UBISOFT SERVERS ARE NOT AVAILABLE AT THIS TIME ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Why do you gain 75XP for some matches and 50 for others?

Connection issues are sickening. It's so close, but it's got none of the class of its big brothers. Not being able to switch teams mid-game after partying up and getting put on the opposition's team is irritating.

Also, squads of 4 but you're split up into teams of 3? I know you can (sometimes) spawn on your squad but still.. what? And why is there seemingly an extra spot? I had to look on the back of the box to see it was 6v6.

smik

I feel exactly the same way. I'm really digging the core mechanics; shooting is fun, traversal is even better and the Gunsmith is practically grounds for human-video game relations. I've also ushered Gears 3 onto the bench for GR:FS (I still love you <3). Sure, with a shit team, it can make me rage something shocking, but when it's fun, it's fun.

Agreed, the gameplay is spot on along with the pace.

Protip: To any newcomers to GRFS, you will have a miserable time playing by yourself try and grab some buds to play with,
going for the objective over and over again while ppl play tdm can get annoying.

i have to admit when playing alone, i do the same as soon as i see no team communication and noone playing the objective.

edit: just came off a couple of games with horrid teammates

Simply put GRFS is just not fun playing alone if your objective is to win, GRFS is very reliant on Team tactics all modes are heavily focused in team play & leaving this up to the players has resulted in alot of lone wolfing/tdm tactics.

this is the sole reason why TDM should have been include at launch, this is potentially turning alot of players away early due to the options/modes avaiable, people just dont even bother to even go near any objective leaving you to kinda be forced to play tdm.

This is seriously giving Gears 3 a run for its money in terms making me feel pure, unadulterated rage. Never have I seen such incompetence. Never have I seen so many dregs of society gathered in one gaming lobby. Never have I cursed so much (and so loudly) in my entire fucking life. It is doing my head in; I actually have migraine.

Losing the objective with seconds to go after having held it comfortably for 3 minutes... Getting shot by an enemy whilst arming a sensor RIGHT FUCKING NEXT TO OUR SPAWN as soon as it has appeared... This list goes on and on. I think I've forfeited maybe 50,000xp in rage-quitting. I'm simply not the type of gamer that can sit back and get steam-rolled as I single-handedly keep my whole team afloat, regardless of the points at stake.

I love the game, but this is not healthy for me at all. So, yeah: go and die if you're shit at this game. You're ruining it for me.

EekTheKat

They got a lot right with this game vs. the old GRAW games - at least from the single player/coop perspective it's been really solid so far :

This game looks a lot better in motion than it does in screenshots - the old GRAW games looked great in screenshots, but was very rigid and tank like in motion.

Gunplay has a nice, solid feel to it. Shooting somebody often rewards the player with solid visual feedback.

The animation system is a huge improvement - characters no longer move like tanks. You can tell a lot of work went into the animation system and it shows very well in motion.

The cover system is a vast improvement over previous games - dashing from cover to cover, rolling on the ground, the slide into prone animations all look great and feel very natural.

Civilians add a lot to the ambience of certain missions. I'd love to see more Clancy games feature this.

Campaign missions flow very well so far, and at least one mission seem to have
variations in how the mission ends.

The stealth part of this game is satisfying my need for a stealth game. The guys I'm playing coop with love shooting everything that moves, while I tend to try and stealth my way through as much as possible. Both of us found ourselves enjoying the gameplay immensely.

GR:FS is a great template to build upon, hopefully for the inevitable sequel they retain a lot of the work they did for future installments. (I'd love to see expanded stealth gameplay with some body dragging to move them out of the way of patrols for example).

I know this game is full of idiots mickenary, but I've never seen a game so bad at relaying information to the player. For such an obtrusive HUD, the game does a fucking terrible job of letting you know if an objective is being capped, or where a downed teammate actually is.

In other news...

Tired of getting spawn camped on Market, and spawn hacking is the worst. Might just go back to one of the old games.

Double D

Played about 1.5 hours of the campaign last night. Really enjoying it, actually. I should have known really, as I'm kind of a sucker for 'take all these dudes out silently with headshots' types of games.

Is the 'Mark and Execute' or whatever totally unlimited?

I know this game is full of idiots mickenary, but I've never seen a game so bad at relaying information to the player. For such an obtrusive HUD, the game does a fucking terrible job of letting you know if an objective is being capped, or where a downed teammate actually is.

In other news...

Tired of getting spawn camped on Market, and spawn hacking is the worst. Might just go back to one of the old games.

i dont agree with those 2 points

the objective fills up with green while your team is capping or red when the other team is, its pretty obvious

as far as downed teammates, you can see all your teammates at all times thru walls, they appear as green. If they need medical attention (which is rare because you usually die quick anyway, they appear with the red cross icon laying on the ground, and if they are being hacked you hear them call out from help and can see them thru walls being hacked too

not sure how much simpler it could be, just take a second to scan around the environment and this stuff pops right out....

can't comment on spawn camping, as I haven't had a problem with it since the beta

i dont agree with those 2 points

the objective fills up with green while your team is capping or red when the other team is, its pretty obvious

as far as downed teammates, you can see all your teammates at all times thru walls, they appear as green. If they need medical attention (which is rare because you usually die quick anyway, they appear with the red cross icon laying on the ground, and if they are being hacked you hear them call out from help and can see them thru walls being hacked too

not sure how much simpler it could be, just take a second to scan around the environment and this stuff pops right out....

can't comment on spawn camping, as I haven't had a problem with it since the beta

1. You can only see it filling up when you're looking at it, which I find to be a problem. You end up turning to look at it and it's being capped without anyone noticing. A simple audio message or something in the HUD would've be nice. Refer back to the quality of player online regarding communication of this fact.

2. Must just be me then, as I never get revived by teammates. I'm assuming, to a point, that people can't see me. That seems to be a problem, too - though, again, I'm not sure if it's the game or the community. It has felt like been in situations where a squad member has been downed in close proximity and hasn't shown up on the radar.

Another thing - I feel that squad elements could be more intrusive. It's great seeing teammates through walls, but couldn't they have made squad members blue or something? Something to differentiate them from the rest of the team. Having to hold RB and then put a marker on them is irritating (not to mention you can't do it while sprinting).

1. You can only see it filling up when you're looking at it, which I find to be a problem. You end up turning to look at it and it's being capped without anyone noticing. A simple audio message or something in the HUD would've be nice. Refer back to the quality of player online regarding communication of this fact.

2. Must just be me then, as I never get revived by teammates. I'm assuming, to a point, that people can't see me. That seems to be a problem, too - though, again, I'm not sure if it's the game or the community. It has felt like been in situations where a squad member has been downed in close proximity and hasn't shown up on the radar.

Another thing - I feel that squad elements could be more intrusive. It's great seeing teammates through walls, but couldn't they have made squad members blue or something? Something to differentiate them from the rest of the team. Having to hold RB and then put a marker on them is irritating (not to mention you can't do it while sprinting).

regarding being revived, I'm not completely sure how it works, but I don't think it's like Battlefield where you get get rezzed when you are dead and gone. You have to be in that state where you are dying on the ground to get helped. I think this only happens when you get clipped in the arms or legs too much. I've probably been down in this state less than 10 times so far.

I agree with the squadmate via teammate thing completely, I try to stick with my squad, but lose track of them a lot of times. The green is more "bold" on them but it's near indistinguishable at distance

Top Bottom