• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier |OT| The Future Is Here... Finally

ttocs

can you equip incendiary rounds in single player or is all that kind of customisation stuff MP only?

Ugh, Diablo 3, this and dragons dogma all within a week of each other

My thoughts exactly. And Dragon's Dogma seems to be getting good press. When good games come out, they come out in droves!

Why the heck do these games come out right before summer comes knocking.

I have been craving for some awesome games like these in March-April yet I barely received anything and now the hot summer times are creeping up and I can not even play these games because I'd rather sit and enjoy the sun.

TwIsTeD

Good friend and I both picked it up at midnight and played Guerilla on Shantytown for about an hour.

I'm not sure what all the hype was about with this

-Movements are awkward
-Map didn't feel polished (hard to explain but the flow was bad)
-The "interruption" between waves to show the score as leader board is annoying, its a simple overlay but it stops all movement and lasts for about 20 seconds (this was something IW did right with MW3 between waves)
- AI seemed smart, until it was close quarters with you
-Maybe I missed it but no melee?
- Gunsmith.....not better with Kinect since you have to be standing , decent with a controller

+ Gunplay is satisfying
+ Sensor grenades are helpful
+ Some of the visual effects are neat
+ it's not bad for the first few mins, then the little things start to add up (movement,AI, map layout.....map layout)

I realize I only played one mode but in fairness I think they damaged the game, only having 2 people play in that mode was a huge tactical disadvantage since it was designed for and felt like you needed 4 to balance the gameplay out ( we played on Veteran)

I regret it, I know it's not supposed to be GRAW but it's been awhile since I've regretted a gaming purchase ( Brink was the last one)

Should have just bought Max Payne 3

ttocs

I've always been a fan of the gameplay in the GRAW series of games so I hope this is similar. I'm not one for modern warfare games but futuristic ones are right up my alley. If the game is solid on mechanics and is fun to play, I think I'll be alright with the purchase.

TwIsTeD

I think the biggest problem is people think its gonna be like GRAW...yea it's not.

That's not saying its terrible but know what your getting into before you pull the trigger

Double D

I really just want to know how the SP campaign is. I'll never touch the MP.

edit: Oh, crap. PC isn't out until June 12th?

Pyronite

I regret it, I know it's not supposed to be GRAW but it's been awhile since I've regretted a gaming purchase ( Brink was the last one)

Make sure you remind the people:

You're only commenting on one mode. Guerilla.

TwIsTeD

Make sure you remind the people:

You're only commenting on one mode. Guerilla.

I clearly stated that and after playing a few mins of SP before heading to the office I don't have high hopes from what I've seen soo far.

Damnit Ubisoft (insert one of 4 studios names here) games like R6:V and GRAW are awesome, why did you mess with a good formula

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I clearly stated that and after playing a few mins of SP before heading to the office I don't have high hopes from what I've seen soo far.

Damnit Ubisoft (insert one of 4 studios names here) games like R6:V and GRAW are awesome, why did you mess with a good formula

Some would argue that your beloved versions are what ruined the formula...

Eye of the beholder and all that.

Depends on the age of some I guess. If people started playing the Ghost Recon games when the first GRAW got released on the current-gen consoles, then I can not understand for the life of me how you would hate Future Soldier since they are practically the same type of games.

If you compare Future Soldier to the first Ghost Recon games on the last-gen consoles then there is a lot of bitching to do. But I think people have dried out after the last two GRAW games.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Depends on the age of some I guess. If people started playing the Ghost Recon games when the first GRAW got released on the current-gen consoles, then I can not understand for the life of me how you would hate Future Soldier since they are practically the same type of games.

If you compare Future Soldier to the first Ghost Recon games on the last-gen consoles then there is a lot of bitching to do. But I think people have dried out after the last two GRAW games.

Yep, which is why I find his complaining odd, since this is basically GRAW 3.

TwIsTeD

Indeed, I grew up playing a lot of PC games and the first R6 multiplayer was an amazing experience at the time.

I read some positive stuff about MP on other sites so I'll give it a shot later, I just wanted to get the word out for people on the fence.... And I'm only 28 and liked GRAW 1 & 2 so I'm not that old haha

just to follow up, my impressions were mostly positive from last night, but there was one thing that bothered me and that was the forced use of slowdown in the campaign.

Now I only played the 1st mission which is a glorified tutorial, but I did not like how they throw the bullet-time / matrix slowdown in random situations and specifically everytime you breach a door. Breaching was a fun part of Rainbow Six and they basically ruin it in the few times I've done it in Future Soldier by slowing everything down and making it too east,

I have seen this game being played a couple of weeks ago in a live coverage and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised, but there is oné problem. This game does not deserve the name ''Ghost Recon'' because it has absolutely nothing in common with the Xbox (not 360) games. That is not to say that this game is a bad thing. Not at all. But I believe people do not want this kind of over the top action with their favorite realism shooting franchise for the consoles.

They mixed Splinter Cell with GRAW 2 and Future Soldier was the outcome. Do not dodge the game despite it being a sheer ghost of its Xbox titles because it is definitely a fun ride when I saw it.

I agree to a point, but other than the Operation Flashpoint series which is dead now, this is as close to a slower tactical shooter that we are going to get on consoles in the near future unless Serellan's TakeDown actually materializes.

can you equip incendiary rounds in single player or is all that kind of customisation stuff MP only?

Ugh, Diablo 3, this and dragons dogma all within a week of each other

All the customization is in SP too. The gun, attachment and equipment unlocks are separate for each mode. They generally give you a few new guns, attachments and pieces of equipment before each mission. The rest are unlocked by completing the optional challenges. Unlocking everything seems like its gonna take at least 2 or 3 playthroughs.

DodgerSan

Anyone know who the actual reviewers are for each of the big sites?

Also,

I still haven't been able to redeem any of these codes. Still getting "SOMETHING WENT WRONG" whenever I visit. Same for everyone else?

Just tried it - yep, something went wrong. The team of highly skilled engineers needs firing.

Cheers, dude. Good to hear! I'm only in it for Conflict, so as long as the connection is solid and there are some decent maps, I'm there.

Is it safe to say that the retail build is identical to that of the beta, as far as visuals go? Have the menus/UI undergone any changes?

visuals, menus and UI seem the same from what I can tell

Good friend and I both picked it up at midnight and played Guerilla on Shantytown for about an hour.

I'm not sure what all the hype was about with this

-Movements are awkward
-Map didn't feel polished (hard to explain but the flow was bad)
-The "interruption" between waves to show the score as leader board is annoying, its a simple overlay but it stops all movement and lasts for about 20 seconds (this was something IW did right with MW3 between waves)
- AI seemed smart, until it was close quarters with you
-Maybe I missed it but no melee?
- Gunsmith.....not better with Kinect since you have to be standing , decent with a controller

+ Gunplay is satisfying
+ Sensor grenades are helpful
+ Some of the visual effects are neat
+ it's not bad for the first few mins, then the little things start to add up (movement,AI, map layout.....map layout)

I realize I only played one mode but in fairness I think they damaged the game, only having 2 people play in that mode was a huge tactical disadvantage since it was designed for and felt like you needed 4 to balance the gameplay out ( we played on Veteran)

melee is in there, tap X(360) or Square(PS3) when you are up close on someone and have the jump on them.

they have said the missions open up quite a bit after the first few which are tutorials to teach you how to use all the new equipment and techniques like the UAV, sync shot, sensor grenades etc. I wouldn't judge it solely on the opening mission or 2.

Fuck Capcom.

Yeah I guess I'll pick it up later. Maybe.

Don't do it, I don't want to be responsible for angering you more my friend... it seems I've already hit a nerve. I need you to keep your sanity so you can make a glorious comeback in NHL13 EASHL with us

Another review 9.5: http://www.explosion.com/review/tom-clancys-ghost-recon-future-soldier/

I'm getting this game tomorrow, the beta was AWESOME and addictive.
I had so much fun with only 2 maps and modes...

that review reads like the person didn't even play the game, there's nothing there you couldn't get via any preview article or video out there weeks ago

...and all the images he posted are from the old version of the game that was scrapped

good job... Explosion?

Explosion said:
Graphically, Future Soldier is one of the best-looking third-person shooters I’ve ever seen.

Haha. Busted, 'SPLOSION!

EDIT: And yeah, those cutscenes are god-awful looking. They actually justify the classic "ps2 graphics" allegation that gets thrown around so haphazardly.

That review has me feeling good. MP gets a great wrap and the aspect of SP that I feared for the most - the squad "mark & execute" - is actually being lauded as one of the standout features. Add some very competent TPS mechanics to the mix and I think we've a winner here. WOO!

EDIT: Oh, man. I'm pretty damn hyped now. This is turning out to be a MUCH better reception than I expected.

bedlamite

Just had a go at the adversarial MP mode with some friends, initial impressions after an hour are quite positive. I've had experience with the previous GR games but I didn't play the beta, movement speed in FS is definitely faster than the older games and like Twisted said, gunplay is nice and meaty. Didn't have a chance to check out all the maps, some seem a little bit too convoluted. Teamwork is essential, more so than other games, one of my team members was spotting with the drone pretty much the whole time and with that the opposing teams got butchered. Oh, he also had zero kills but ended up leading the team in highscore.

Xater

The reviews seem decent. I still wonder if they fixed the terrible framerate from the beta. I am not sure if I want to jump in after my not so great beta experience.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
GameTrailers: 8.3

Why does GT even grade shooter storylines anymore? They say the same thing every time. Yes, we get it, there has never been a good one. They're filled with cliche's and etc. We get it.

What's up with Uplay having its own activation key?! I hate this kinda shit. Will I be able to play in a different account if I use the same login ID?

we live in the era of Online Passes now, are you really surprised?

We didn't have time to translate the review, but our reviewer (Driftwood) enjoyed the game and was really impressed with the game's lighting especially. His biggest issue was that textures can be quite low-res at times. 12 hours game time.

thanks Blim

Top Bottom