• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters Review Thread [Certified Fresh - 75%]

Status
Not open for further replies.
cB1WkGZ.png

Jesus.

I was convinced based on the user name of the redditer that this was a troll post but he's not. He's active in that sub.

That reddit page is basically Ghostbusters in Action (GiA) lol or I guess it would be Sony in Action?

That guy has gotta be a parody account. I hope for the sake of the gene pool we don't have guys out there who die on a hill for weak conspiracy theories with such hilarious arguments as "how dare you use 'lol' and besmirch my body care routine."

Dig into Twitter if you can stomach it. There's literally thousands of people like this

MrBadger

You'd think if Sony really was paying countless reddit comments and kids at the movie premiere, at least one person would have turned them down and posted proof that Sony asked them or something. Because karma on KotakuInAction is far more valuable than real money.

Not to defend this guy (Well, I sort of am) but all he's saying is that it's a PR bit, which I could believe. That's not to dismiss the fact that these kids are probably enjoying themselves immensely. Everyone is so on edge with this film that people are attacking each other left and right over the smallest things.

I could see this being done for any film released this year. They invite fans out to the premiere for specific reasons.

It might not be the big return to form the fans wanted, but this is arguably more important.

Yup.

If you haven't already, check out Kevin Smith's conversation about seeing the film. He spoke of seeing little girls in the theater all decked out in Ghostbusters outfits. I mean, even if you have absolutely no interest at all in the film, you have to admit, that is really fucking cool.

jstripes

Banned
This comment:

The paid off "reviewers" who work for the big news companies say it's good. No suprise. Same people who lie about Clinton crimes, push violence against trump, lie about the actions of BLM, and think if I put on a dress I'm suddenly a women.

Magical.

squidyj

Sounds about right, an entirely forgettable film that some people hate for even existing and other really want to like just to shut those other people up.

Not to defend this guy (Well, I sort of am) but all he's saying is that it's a PR bit, which I could believe. That's not to dismiss the fact that these kids are probably enjoying themselves immensely. Everyone is so on edge with this film that people are attacking each other left and right over the smallest things.

I could see this being done for any film released this year. They invite fans out to the premiere for specific reasons.
You have to have at least some proof that Sony paid these kids or you come across as a conspiracy idiot. And here, this dude does as he's got nothing to back it up.

His replies are garbage:

Dane J ‏@DaneST3K 14h14 hours ago
@laurenduca This appears to be PR set up by Sony specifically to be at the premier just for purposes/articles like this. But sure.

Dane J ‏@DaneST3K 13h13 hours ago
@laurenduca So Entertainment PR doesn't coordinate to make good photo ops and coverage happen? Then what exactly do they do?

Dane J ‏@DaneST3K 11h11 hours ago
@Rekeiji Sure, Sony wouldn't want to present a story riffing on the same marketing narrative they've been running with foe two years.

@Rekeiji @laurenduca 4 photogenic kids magically showed up with picture perfect costumes on the red carpet by sheer luck?

@Rekeiji @laurenduca This whole movie has been a marketing demo gimmick from day 1. Mash up Feigs formula with an existing property.

@_lifestyled @Rekeiji @laurenduca At age 10 I wouldnt have even been paying to in development movies.

@_lifestyled @Rekeiji @laurenduca How does a kid get on the red carpet anyways, or a fan for that matter without it being a favor/PR?

Dane J ‏@DaneST3K 10h10 hours ago
@_lifestyled No one thinks this is a conspiracy. I just think its a PR scheme. This is how public events work. Photo ops for stories

Dane J ‏@DaneST3K 3h3 hours ago
@laurenduca @myhairisblue I never said it was a conspiracy. Youre the one painting this as some kind of huge step for girls, its not.

@laurenduca @myhairisblue nor why you refuse to acknowledge Sonys marketing has been based around Ghostbusters but with women for 2 years.

@laurenduca @myhairisblue and just out of the blue kids with perfectly accurate costumes showed up to a movie they have never seen.

@HSW3K @laurenduca I didnt say she was a shill but Sony did work hard to make this photo op happen.

Dane J ‏@DaneST3K 40m40 minutes ago
@Delafina777 @laurenduca @myhairisblue I wasnt explaining anything. Was just stating what we all know is true. Girls dressed as GBs B4 Feig

Zakalwe

Banned
I don't agree it deserves that high of score, It's a good to great movie but it was a campaign of fans trying to get it a super high score which is the issue with IMDB ratings.

I'm not sure how you can prove that had a significant impact. It was such a hugely successful film that the majority of votes are very likely independent.

Much like how Ghostbusters will eventually balance out to something more realistic.

SpaceWolf

Banned
These Hollywood hacks have ruined Ghostbusters.

What's the fucking point of the Proton Packs if they don't work as penis metaphors?

You have to have at least some proof that Sony paid these kids or you come across as a conspiracy idiot. And here, this dude does as he's got nothing to back it up.

He didn't say paid. At least not in what I saw linked in this thread. Also, they're on the carpet. It's entirely possible they made the trip down themselves and a Sony rep saw them and brought them out to meet the cast. But that's still a PR opp. There are a multitude of ways this could have happened. It's still a PR bit.

There is nothing wrong with that though. Kids are loving it and it's not unusual to see it done for other films or any other entertainment for that matter.

Doesn't seem like an irrational assumption. It just doesn't really matter in the end. Everyone is having fun.

Dane J ‏@DaneST3K 14h14 hours ago
@laurenduca This appears to be PR set up by Sony specifically to be at the premier just for purposes/articles like this. But sure.

Dane J ‏@DaneST3K 13h13 hours ago
@laurenduca So Entertainment PR doesn't coordinate to make good photo ops and coverage happen? Then what exactly do they do?

@Rekeiji Sure, Sony wouldn't want to present a story riffing on the same marketing narrative they've been running with foe two years.

@Rekeiji @laurenduca 4 photogenic kids magically showed up with picture perfect costumes on the red carpet by sheer luck?

@Rekeiji @laurenduca This whole movie has been a marketing demo gimmick from day 1. Mash up Feigs formula with an existing property.

@_lifestyled @Rekeiji @laurenduca At age 10 I wouldnt have even been paying to in development movies.

@_lifestyled @Rekeiji @laurenduca How does a kid get on the red carpet anyways, or a fan for that matter without it being a favor/PR?

Dane J ‏@DaneST3K 10h10 hours ago
@_lifestyled No one thinks this is a conspiracy. I just think its a PR scheme. This is how public events work. Photo ops for stories

@laurenduca @myhairisblue I never said it was a conspiracy. Youre the one painting this as some kind of huge step for girls, its not.

@laurenduca @myhairisblue nor why you refuse to acknowledge Sonys marketing has been based around Ghostbusters but with women for 2 years.

@laurenduca @myhairisblue and just out of the blue kids with perfectly accurate costumes showed up to a movie they have never seen.

@HSW3K @laurenduca I didnt say she was a shill but Sony did work hard to make this photo op happen.

Dane J ‏@DaneST3K 40m40 minutes ago
@Delafina777 @laurenduca @myhairisblue I wasnt explaining anything. Was just stating what we all know is true. Girls dressed as GBs B4 Feig

[/QUOTE]

I don't see anything horrible or garbage in this tweets. Of course, we don't know for sure if the kids were staged or showed up of their own accord. Suggesting they are paid is kind of silly but int he end it doesn't really matter.

It would strike me as odd if it wasn't staged though. Again, there isn't anything unusual about that. I think some of you have been fighting this war over this film for too long.

Yup.

If you haven't already, check out Kevin Smith's conversation about seeing the film. He spoke of seeing little girls in the theater all decked out in Ghostbusters outfits. I mean, even if you have absolutely no interest at all in the film, you have to admit, that is really fucking cool.

Thanks, that sounds awesome! I'll check it out after work.

Can't wait for the Half in the bag episode about this movie.

I would think they would not be going to touch that one with a ten-foot pole. Not because they're fans, but due to the mob following it around.

grammar and and spelling issues can be blamed on fever.
Also, this thread is not as much fun as the BvS RT thread. Now that one deserved it. ALL OF IT. Ghostbusters is at worst mediocre if we're going by the first trailer, and ignore nostalgia mode. The UK trailer was an entirely different movie trailer, and I'm hoping it's more like that than the US version.

Also, this thread is not as much fun as the BvS RT thread. Now that one deserved it. ALL OF IT. Ghostbusters is at worst mediocre if we're going by the first trailer, and ignore nostalgia mode. The UK trailer was an entirely different movie trailer, and I'm hoping it's more like that than the US version.

It's not too bad, so far. If that thread was Ghostbusters 1, this thread is Ghostbusters 2. Not as good as the original, but certainly a worthy follow-up with it's fair share of laughs. ;o)

jstripes

Banned
I would think they would not be going to touch that one with a ten-foot pole. Not because they're fans, but due to the mob following it around.

Nah, they'll cover it. They seem like they can weather the abuse. Their fanbase may revolt, but they'll forget about it by the time the next collective nerd outrage comes along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom