• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know how people keep saying "For the love of god, don't look at Youtube comments"?
Listen to them. I looked at the Dan Decides YT comments and I'm a changed person now. I almost replied to one of them. Oh god, what have I become.....

I was on niconico earlier, and if you've never been there, the comments kind of fly across the screen as the video plays

...thank fuck youtube doesn't have that feature.

Corgi

Banned
so does raiden ever redeem himself characterwise without spoilers?

Dude is worst than your average Tales protagonist.

Myggen

Hard to defend the last few seasons beyond a few standout episodes, I know.

Unless you also have an issue with the early seasons, in which case shame on you sir.

The "original run" of Futurama rivals the golden age of The Simpsons to me. The Simpsons is still my favourite, but Futurama was amazing back then.

I like many of the later episodes too, and there's some classics like The Late Philip J. Fry in there. But it's obviously not on the level of season 1-4.

Megasoum

Banned
Dan Ryckert
‏@DanRyckert
I was confused when my doorbell rang this morning, then I remembered that I ordered $75 worth of potato chips while I was drunk

danm999

The "original run" of Futurama rivals the golden age of The Simpsons to me. The Simpsons is still my favourite, but Futurama was amazing back then.

I like many of the later episodes too, and there's some classics like The Late Philip J. Fry in there. But it's obviously not on the level of season 1-4.

I knew Myggen would understand. Myggen's good people.

Still laughing at this moment it was just TO perfect :D

2706723-mount-upf.gif

I rewinded that part like 9 times to see everyone's reactions when it was archived lol.

Legendary shit!

Megasoum

Banned
What else besides sphere should I read by crichton? I really like the way this guy tells a story.

Jurassic Park (the best)
Lost World (not as good as JP but still good)
Airframe is all right if you like planes
Congo is good too (like Sphere, the movie is terrrrrible but the book is good)
I read Rising Sun 10-15years ago and I remember liking it but it's been a long time
Andromeda Strain is also good
I remember reading Terminal Man once 20 years ago and I can't remember much. I really doubt it aged well considering the topic.
The Great Train Robbery is interesting but very different from his other books. If you like robbery stories you might like it.

I know I read Timeline at some point but I have to admit that I had completely forgotten about that book (and movie with Paul Walker I think?) up until 5min ago when I check Chrichton's wikipedia. Wow talk about a black hole in my memory..weird.... Anyway... The book was meh if I remember correctly.

danm999

What's the one with the fake sexual harassment allegation case that turns into TRON at some point?

I remember reading that one a few years ago and hating it, so maybe that's one to avoid.

What's the one with the fake sexual harassment allegation case that turns into TRON at some point?

I remember reading that one a few years ago and hating it, so maybe that's one to avoid.

Disclosure I think? I haven't read that since the mid 90s but I remember thinking it was pretty lame.

Megasoum

Banned
Yeah, wasn't a big fan of that...

I think I need to re-read Jurassic Park again. I remember that book being pretty amazing.

Yeah I need to buy the Kindle version.

it's definitely one of his best, and it also signifies the first time in my life I was let down by a movie adaptation of one of my favorite books.

Yeah... I dunno. I kinda see it as 2 different stories. There's so many differences between the two anyway. I see it as both an amazing book and an amazing movie. I just don't really compare them to each other.

I read the book after seeing the movie so it might be different for me.

Also I remember my teenage self being heartbroken that Ellie was married in the book. My childhood crush :(

lol

Disclosure I think? I haven't read that since the mid 90s but I remember thinking it was pretty lame.

Yeah, I haven't read anything past Timeline. Nothing looked really good going by the synopsis.

Myggen

Yeah it's Disclosure, and I've heard few good things about it. Never read it because of that. It's considered one of his worst, if not his worst novel.

Yeah... I dunno. I kinda see it as 2 different stories. There's so many differences between the two anyway. I see it as both an amazing book and an amazing movie. I just don't really compare them to each other.

I like the movie a lot now. But 14 year old or whatever me was not as open minded.

Oh yeaaaah... That Demi Moore movie lol... Completely forgot about that one.

Never read the book or seen the movie.

yeah weirdly I remember the movie actually being better than the book. As opposed to... all of his other stories.

not that I recommend the movie or anything

Megasoum

Banned
Oh wow I just read the plot for Disclosure on Wikipedia...wtf lol.

Somehow it reminds me of the movie Brainscan which I remember LOOOVVINNGGG when I was a kid. Kind of a mindfuck movie with a great ending.

Myggen

This discussion and hearing Patrick talk about it on an old Bombcast is reminding me that I need to read The Dark Tower. I've heard that King fucks it up near the end, like he does with most of his books tbh, but man those books sound great.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
the somewhat cynical response to Uncharted 4 has surprised me a little bit tbh.

like, yeah, it looks like another -- way better-looking, I might add -- Uncharted game. is that really a bad thing?

like, yeah, it looks like another -- way better-looking, I might add -- Uncharted game. is that really a bad thing?

I never really played Uncharted beyond a chunk of 2. Why did people dislike 3 so much? If it was due to it being similar to 2, then I can see why people are disappointed in 4, but otherwise it seems like a nice looking game.

Megasoum

Banned
I never really played Uncharted beyond a chunk of 2. Why did people dislike 3 so much? If it was due to it being similar to 2, then I can see why people are disappointed in 4, but otherwise it seems like a nice looking game.

UC3 was just a bad game. Not terrible by any means but really not great. Especially compared to the masterpiece that was UC2. It was clear that the A-Team moved to Last of Us and the B team that made UC3 just wasn't as good.

Chuck

Still without luck

If you were expecting some innovation, yes.

Also, way better looking but still not as good as one might expect from ND.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

3 had more frustrating encounters and felt like a tech demo in spots. still liked it but 2 was definitely better. the shooting felt pretty weird in 3 as well.

Myggen

I was disappointed by the trailer. Visually it of course looks amazing, but I got a bit tired of the Uncharted formula when I played Uncharted 3...and this looks so similar to the previous games.

Also, I can normally ignore how silly it is that video game protagonists are mass murderers, but just seeing Nathan Drake mow down 10+ people while making smartass comments about said killing in a trailer again is pretty funny to me.

I'm just tired of the franchise I think, and would rather see ND move onto something else. Oh well.

Yeah I agree... But I would still play UC4 anytime over the new God of War that was announced yesterday. Talk about franchises ran into the ground... Well that and Gears of War... Ugh

I didn't even catch that a new GoW was announced yesterday, probably says something about my interest in that franchise. I had hoped they would just let that franchise die and move onto something else, but I guess it still makes money...

I was a bit underwhelmed by Sony's thing yesterday, even if everyone else seems really hyped about it. SFV seems cool though, but Capcom must be close to bankruptcy if they can't afford to make a numbered sequel of fucking Street Fighter without cutting a deal with a platform holder.

To be even more negative I thought the short Zelda clip was a huge let-down. An okay-looking empty open world...that's it? I'm sure they'll populate it more, but man it didn't get me excited for the new game in what is one of my favourite franchises ever.

Megasoum

Banned
I was disappointed by the trailer. Visually it of course looks amazing, but I got a bit tired of the Uncharted formula when I played Uncharted 3...and this looks so similar to the previous games.

Also, I can normally ignore how silly it is that video game protagonists are mass murderers, but just seeing Nathan Drake mow down 10+ people in a trailer again is pretty funny to me.

I'm just tired of the franchise I think, and would rather see ND move onto something else. Oh well.

Yeah I agree... But I would still play UC4 anytime over the new God of War that was announced yesterday. Talk about franchises ran into the ground... Well that and Gears of War... Ugh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom