• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
This discussion and hearing Patrick talk about it on an old Bombcast is reminding me that I need to read The Dark Tower. I've heard that King fucks it up near the end, like he does with most of his books tbh, but man those books sound great.

Dark Tower is one of my favorite fantasy series. It's definitely rough going near the end but even so you're getting 5 excellent King books (1-4 and Wind Through the Keyhole) and 3 generally decent ones. They're very Lost-ish so you can use that as a barometer if you watched that.

Dark Tower is one of my favorite fantasy series. It's definitely rough going near the end but even so you're getting 5 excellent King books (1-4 and Wind Through the Keyhole) and 3 generally decent ones. They're very Lost-ish so you can use that as a barometer if you watched that.

Sold. A lot of people hate Lost after the ending, but there's few shows I enjoyed watching as much as it.

daydream

Banned
That was such a good-ass podcast. I posted my thoughts in the Bombcast topic but man, the difference between Vinny/Patrick/Alex and Dan/Drew/Jason is night and day for actual games and industry discussion.

Not everyone's cut out for a podcast, of course, and this isn't particularly surprising - but I still couldn't help but notice the difference. I still enjoy the Bombcast a lot every week, naturally, but the games/news segment was just so much meatier than usual. They really knocked it out of the park.

Cannot wait for GOTYcasts!

This discussion and hearing Patrick talk about it on an old Bombcast is reminding me that I need to read The Dark Tower. I've heard that King fucks it up near the end, like he does with most of his books tbh, but man those books sound great.

Which bombcast was that? The first 4 books in the series are some of my all-time favorites

AcridMeat

Banned
if you want to explode at me, just ask me what I think of Futurama
If it's just that the original run is the best then that's fine.
The "original run" of Futurama rivals the golden age of The Simpsons to me. The Simpsons is still my favourite, but Futurama was amazing back then.

I like many of the later episodes too, and there's some classics like The Late Philip J. Fry in there. But it's obviously not on the level of season 1-4.
Myggen knows what's up.
B4TQISDCUAAFBJD.jpg

the hell lol. The podcast made it sound like they were classy ceramic mugs or something.
I was expecting them to at least be glass. Those look like they should have fried chicken or popcorn in them.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
this 2012 bombcast of the crew ripping on alien CM and saying that they wish a game with just just 1 alien existed, but its impossible is funny in hindsight

Jintor

Does anyone have a link to where the first Metal Gear Scanlon was posted re: the last GB thread? I'm just beginning MGS and I want to read the thread alongside it.

Cheers in advance.

I figured that might have been the case, but I also thought that the CAH guys might go through with it as a memorial type of service. I know Ryan would have still loved for that to come out. I understand them not wanting to as well though.

As it turns out, I have seen this CAH video before, but it's just so old I forgot.

honestly its fate seemed up in the air even when Ryan was alive imo so after he passed it kinda sealed for me (Similarly to TNT).

Family Guy is three solid seasons of television.

The Simpsons, however, is the greatest TV show of all time based off of just 30% of its total episodes.

hmmm interesting

watched family guy for a bit during its run on adult swim and i liked it but didn't really stick to it. Same with the Simpsons but those were in the early seasons and even less episodes watched.

So none of these series resonated enough (Futurama and hell even South Park are also included) and i'm like a spectator just looking in.

The "original run" of Futurama rivals the golden age of The Simpsons to me. The Simpsons is still my favourite, but Futurama was amazing back then.

I like many of the later episodes too, and there's some classics like The Late Philip J. Fry in there. But it's obviously not on the level of season 1-4.

Nobody (among the cartoons) does heartfelt moments better than Futurama. Episodes such as Jurassic Bark (the dog episode), and The Luck of the Fryish (the one with Fry's brotherly rivalry) really stand out as amazing episodes. The Simpsons (same creators as Futurama, obviously) have some heartfelt moments as well, like the episode where Maggie says her first (and to this point) only words (unless you count her saying "sequel" during the credits of the movie).

Rainmaker

Banned
I'm a huge early seasons Simpsons fan. I liked the first two or three seasons of Family Guy at the time but eventually grew to see how truly awful it is and I hate that I ever gave it my time. I've NEVER been able to see what people like/liked in Futurama. Nothing about it has ever appealed to me and I've given it a lot of chances because I thought I was just missing something. The best cartoon on TV nowadays is Bob's Burgers and is probably up there in my all time favorites already.

AcridMeat

Banned
Weekend post.
futurama isn't funny
;_;
honestly its fate seemed up in the air even when Ryan was alive imo so after he passed it kinda sealed for me (Similarly to TNT).
You know you're totally right. I forgot it was kind of at a stand still for a while, thanks for bringing that up. I just really wanted to see what the fans, and Ryan & co. came up with for cards.
I'm a huge early seasons Simpsons fan. I liked the first two or three seasons of Family Guy at the time but eventually grew to see how truly awful it is and I hate that I ever gave it my time. I've NEVER been able to see what people like/liked in Futurama. Nothing about it has ever appealed to me and I've given it a lot of chances because I thought I was just missing something. The best cartoon on TV nowadays is Bob's Burgers and is probably up there in my all time favorites already.
My heart... (it's broken)

When it aired, I was a little boy in I think 4th grade whose favorite trilogy of movies was Star Wars. I wanted to live on another planet, or in the future or another world, so Futurama appealed just generally in setting. The animation was fresh, I preferred it to The Simpsons, which was my favorite show at the time.

As for not seeing how it appeals I really don't know what to say, it always felt pretty similar to The Simpsons to me but it didn't fall into a demographic. It was just a bunch of oddballs which is what I loved about it. It did spend more time with referential 80's/90's humor rather than parody and satire like The Simpsons.

edit: I stopped watching TV regularly years ago so haven't seen much of Bob's Burgers. It sounds up my alley, but I don't think I could get over hearing Coach McGuirk's voice on another animated character. Which is weird since he does the voice of Archer too and that's fine with me.

...damn Home Movies is just the best.

Nobody (among the cartoons) does heartfelt moments better than Futurama. Episodes such as Jurassic Bark (the dog episode), and The Luck of the Fryish (the one with Fry's brotherly rivalry) really stand out as amazing episodes. The Simpsons (same creators as Futurama, obviously) have some heartfelt moments as well, like the episode where Maggie says her first (and to this point) only words (unless you count her saying "sequel" during the credits of the movie).
"The moment kids start talking is the moment they start talking back. I hope you never say a word." "Daddy." So good.

Rainmaker

Banned
As for not seeing how it appeals I really don't know what to say, it always felt pretty similar to The Simpsons to me but it didn't fall into a demographic. It was just a bunch of oddballs which is what I loved about it. It did spend more time with referential 80's/90's humor rather than parody and satire like The Simpsons.

You put it into perspective for why you like it and I can get that. Maybe I've just never watched it in the right "mood" or something. I know most people like it so it's probably on me. Haha.

Home Movies was top notch TV. I love hearing H. Jon Benjamin's voice. Even when he is voicing a can of veggies.

Jintor

Is it your first time playing through MGS or are you replaying it?

Sorry, I meant first time watching Metal Gear Scanlon. I played MGS1, 2, 3, 4, Portable Ops and Peace Walker and Revengeance for the first time all in the space of last year

I'm ACTUALLY playing Persona Q

demidar

Sorry, I meant first time watching Metal Gear Scanlon. I played MGS1, 2, 3, 4, Portable Ops and Peace Walker and Revengeance for the first time all in the space of last year

Good lord, I'm surprised you didn't overdose.

I'm playing Bayonetta 2. It's really good.

AcridMeat

Banned
You put it into perspective for why you like it and I can get that. Maybe I've just never watched it in the right "mood" or something. I know most people like it so it's probably on me. Haha.

Home Movies was top notch TV. I love hearing H. Jon Benjamin's voice. Even when he is voicing a can of veggies.
At least we can agree on Home Movies. The ending of that series was like an uppercut to the gut in terms of being surprisingly emotional.
How is it?

I just got Super Mario 3D Land. I'm still awful at Mario games but I can see where the praise has come, I'm on world 4 now I think.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Persona Q is like persona except that the gameplay is actually really good while the characters and story are serviceable at best with some good moments.

So it's like an inverted persona game.

Jintor

Persona Q is like persona except that the gameplay is actually really good while the characters and story are serviceable at best with some good moments.

That's almost exactly how I would describe it so far, but I'm like 2 dungeons behind you I think

Antiwhippy

It stays roughly the same quality story and character-wise (with some really fun character moments between the 2 casts when they finally meet), and the dungeons just get better with the puzzles and combat.

At worst I'd call the story too fanservicey and they flanderise some characters, making them worse in the process, but they're still good fun.

I was basically being pulled along by the Persona-ness and fanservice but I really don't like the Etrian style dungeons and gameplay in Persona Q. So much that I'm not sure how much I'll be able to play of it.

Jintor

It stays roughly the same quality story and character-wise (with some really fun character moments between the 2 casts when they finally meet), and the dungeons just get better with the puzzles and combat.

At worst I'd call the story too fanservicey and they flanderise some characters, making them worse in the process, but they're still good fun.

Yeah, Chie and Akihiko feel like they've had their brains surgically removed so far lol

AcridMeat

Banned

That's almost exactly how I would describe it so far, but I'm like 2 dungeons behind you I think
Kind of the opposite of what I would be looking for, thanks for the responses. I'd rather not sully the memories I have of those characters.

I'd be interested in Persona Q if I wasn't all Etrian Odysseyed out. They are milking the hell out of that franchise. I'm already tired of playing so many of them and there's several more coming next year.

demidar

I'd be interested in Persona Q if I wasn't all Etrian Odysseyed out. They are milking the hell out of that franchise. I'm already tired of playing so many of them and there's several more coming next year.

I played EO4 and I liked it well enough, but not enough for me to dive into the Untold remakes. I'll pick up EO5 if I have the time; only going forward for me.

Antiwhippy

Don't get me wrong. I really like it. I would love it if persona 5 adopt the same dungeon design instead of the regular boring ass stuff (I would also like it to adopt the same combat but I know people don't like the EO style,
crazy people
).

popo

Disclosure I think? I haven't read that since the mid 90s but I remember thinking it was pretty lame.

Disclosure is totally worth a read now. The tech references are so dated it is hilarious. They are in a race to develop these super fast 4x CD drives that somehow morph in to occulus rift style VR. 4x is that fast! I also enjoyed the sexy bits as a kid.

Airframe is my favourite as it is the least scifi. Timeline the worst, sub par fantasy crap.

Anyone heard if we are getting the video top 10 lists back this year? They are probably my favorite GOTY content GB does(outside of maybe the podcast).

Strax

the somewhat cynical response to Uncharted 4 has surprised me a little bit tbh.

like, yeah, it looks like another -- way better-looking, I might add -- Uncharted game. is that really a bad thing?

I don't know if you are talking about the response from the GiantBomb crew or people in general but I remember when the Giant Bomb PlayStation 4 Launchstravaganza Brad said something like "They have to have a new character in Uncharted 4" and something about Drake being done and everybody kinda agreed

I wonder if we'll get any more incredibly off colour jokes from Brad in the GOTY videos this year like when he said Drew needed to cut himself to feel something last year. That was a really weird joke for Brad to make.

Antiwhippy

I wonder if we'll get any more incredibly off colour jokes from Brad in the GOTY videos this year like when he said Drew needed to cut himself to feel something last year. That was a really weird joke for Brad to make.

From the makers of "Max doesn't count."

Rapstah

Even if the first Uncharted game on PS4 has Drake, I think the fact that they're making it, which basically means they have to make two or three sequels because they have done all the hard work with making their engine and tech work on the PS4, means they'll get to making some changes to the franchise by the end of this generation.

See you in 2018! Uncharted: MC Skat Kat's Redemption

Lol, I forgot about Max doesn't count. Brad is a true monster. Yet don't make a joke about Yoshi giving Peach oral sex or he'll silence you on the podcast. That's where he draws the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom