• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerD

I AM BREAD unfinished is up

tumblr_ltn2prRRAB1qdya4eo1_500.jpg

Patryn

Seriously, what is it about DriveClub that is making all these people crazy?

And why does Jeff's review matter just SO much to them?

Mully

Watching them livestream from a shitty college house at E3 so many years ago was like going to a restaurant or place before it was featured on No Reservations.

It's the same here in Norway. People in the north of the country laugh at people in the south of Norway freaking out every year when it begins snowing. You can make the argument that the reason people are freaking out is because the infrastructure isn't good enough to handle that kind of weather (in SF at least), but I suspect it's mostly people whining.

It's RAIN, doesn't everywhere have the "infrastructure" to deal with that? What does san fran just not have drains or something? Everywhere floods, but San Francisco seems to think flooding is akin the the apocalypse.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Californians move up to Oregon and get scared in light drizzles, it's hilarious.
When we get about a total of 5 days of rain a year, damn right people will freak out. Our infrastructure isn't meant for this kind of storm. Ever.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Californians move up to Oregon and get scared in light drizzles, it's hilarious.

Don't you understand!? Water is falling from the sky. This isn't like jumping in the water at the pool, the water is jumping on you. From all over the place! It's a water riot out there and nobody is safe!

Dunbar

I wonder if Dan remembers last year when two inches of snow and ice turned Atlanta into The Walking Dead scenery. That's the only thing I can remember that beats this SF "storm" for people flipping out over a minor weather pattern. 7 feet of snow fell on Buffalo in like 8 days and you didn't hear those people bitching.

Finally finished the Sphere podcast, I really liked it. I can understand why they wouldn't want to do more, or at least promise more, but I'd really like to see them do it again sometime.

Did I imagine a part in the book or did they forget it?
Wasn't the part with the woman being the only crew member explained as a manifestation of Beth's? I thought when Norman went back it included more people or something along those lines. I thought it was supposed to be just more of her insecurity and power hunger manifesting itself.

santeesioux

When we get about a total of 5 days of rain a year, damn right people will freak out. Our infrastructure isn't meant for this kind of storm. Ever.

But this is in Oregon, where the infrastructure is there for rain, and they still freak out.

We're getting a nice rain storm up here right now too, and it's business as usual.

I wonder if Dan remembers last year when two inches of snow and ice turned Atlanta into The Walking Dead scenery. That's the only thing I can remember that beats this SF "storm" for people flipping out over a minor weather pattern. 7 feet of snow fell on Buffalo in like 8 days and you didn't hear those people bitching.

Well to be fair to places that don't get snow suddenly getting snow, they don't have the infrastructure to plow the streets in a timely manner. In MN, the moment a single snow flake hits the ground, the plows are already driving around salting/sanding the roads.

Rain however, I can't imagine why even a modest amount of rain would make everyone go crazy in a large city with a massive sewer system. SF isn't a small town where large amounts of rain IS a concern.

Volcynika

Problem at least for Alabama when that craziness here was that the forecast was wrong (and meteorologists apologized etc) and no one was really prepared, as it was just a light dusting of sorts that was in the weather forecast. So everyone all at once left work / rushed to get kids / etc and that caused tons of traffic issues and people getting stranded out on roads by the time it got dark. And as said above, we really don't have the infrastructure for something we see only maybe a day or two every couple of years.

Egg0

Banned
Does The Crew take place in the future where the water levels has risen and has submerged parts of the coastal states? Cause damn. WTF lol

Edit: Jeff makes the same joke after I unpaused the quick look.

Worse things could happen.

I remember on the news last year when Atlanta completely shut down due to an inch or two of snow. People abandoned their cars on the highway, needed to be rescued, etc. A state of emergency was enacted. On the flip-side, Buffalo, NY just had a 6-Foot snow storm, in which many people were literally snowed in their houses. Some of those people used the snow that blocked their doors as impromptu refrigerators to keep their beer cold. Unfortunately, people did die. But, yet, they were so calm compared to Atlanta last year. Right now, in Maryland, we are getting a snow storm that is more or less equivalent to Atlanta's and life's going on as normal.

Patryn

You know, I'm kind of with Dan on all this weather stuff. All the pictures I'm seeing show it not raining super hard (rained harder in Boston a couple days ago, I'd argue), it's just that apparently they suck at making drainage for stuff so everything is flooding, and that's the real issue.

Brashnir

You know, I'm kind of with Dan on all this weather stuff. All the pictures I'm seeing show it not raining super hard (rained harder in Boston a couple days ago, I'd argue), it's just that apparently they suck at making drainage for stuff so everything is flooding, and that's the real issue.

San Francisco is on a hill.

At the bottom of the hill is the fucking ocean.

How hard can it be?

Rapstah

I remember playing the demo of Jade Cocoon off a PS1 (PAL) demo disc with a friend when that was new. We were both 100% convinced it was the Pokémon killer. Why would you play Pokémon Blue or Red if you could have Jade Cocoon in 3D? I didn't even realise it had pre-rendered backgrounds at the time. Pre-rendered 2D stuff is the worst for making you feel like an idiot when you look at the games you thought looked fantastic at the time.

Edit: Should be on US disc 21, if the CDs have the same numbering as the magazines. I think we used to get UK demo discs over here, so it would have been UK demo disc 53.

Aerocrane

How would you compare it to the most recent NFS: Most Wanted? I really liked that one and the Hot Pursuit which came out before it.

I like arcade racers, and there's never many options.

Well if you liked the cop chases in Most Wanted, you are going to hate them in The Crew. The AI for the cops is insane, they get unreal acceleration, seem immovable and swarm you whenever you crash.

The driving physics aren't great, the handling feel improves when you upgrade the cars with new parts. It is very different from how Most Wanted feels. Driving off road is not very good regardless of the upgrades or settings. The variety of cars isn't great. There are only about forty cars, but with the different specifications available the same car can feel quite a bit different with the different specification parts equipped.

It's tough to compare Most Wanted and The Crew since they are quite different. Most Wanted is just street racing and cop chases while The Crew has those too, but the cop chases are bad. The gameplay is more varied with different race types in The Crew, but the takedown and escape mission types are balanced for co-op and playing them alone sucks with the AI being too tough.

You should take a look at the OT: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=943135
Maybe someone else there can answer your question better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom