• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

daydream

Banned
Tennis in the Face seems dumb. I was hoping it'd be like Go! Go! Beckham for the GBA.

I know people who genuinly get angry when game publishers or film studios don't translate the name of their games/movies and just keep the original title. It's......weird.

The whole german TV..."scene" is basically "What's big in america right now?" but with 10% of the budget.

And 10% of the talent.

On that note, GB should rename their Friday show to 'UPF: Jetzt erst recht'.

UPF feels so tired at this point

I really think GB needs a new, weekly premium show in 2015

It reminds me of the last few months of TNT, where it just seemed like they were doing it more as an obligation to their fanbase than because they're wanting to put up a fun show.

Really, it's all been downhill since that time that they ignored vinny and made him mad. you can trace the downfall of UPF to that exact moment.

UPF as a concept is fine but they've kind of hit a rut.

Needs more stuff like pogs or Avalon or Space Jam: The Novel... just more weird shit

basically, make it more unprofessional

or just like "here's our two hour timeslot. this week Dan will do a cooking show."

Xater

UPF feels so tired at this point

I really think GB needs a new, weekly premium show in 2015

It's fine if they pick some good stuff. Vinny and Drew usually pick fun stuff. They need to stop with the MP games that occupy everyones attention too much. That makes it boring.

And 10% of the talent.

On that note, GB should rename their Friday show to 'UPF: Jetzt erst recht'.

Even more infuriating that a lot of that shit gets subsidized in some way. German TV and Film is just a terrible scene.

UPF is way too professional lately. I really enjoyed seeing it as a place for games that wouldn't fit in anywhere else in their lineup, like an hour for a bootleg Chinese console or nostalgia tripping on Legos.

Xater

UPF is way too professional lately. I really enjoyed seeing it as a place for games that wouldn't fit in anywhere else in their lineup, like an hour for a bootleg Chinese console or nostalgia tripping on Legos.

Or old PC games, especially FMV ones. They have boxes of that shit yet do nothing with it.

daydream

Banned
Even more infuriating that a lot of that shit gets subsidized in some way. German TV and Film is just a terrible scene.

Agree 100%.

The Lego Island segment remains the best UPF bit.

Drew got Lego Island 2 a while ago but hasn't done anything with it, yet. Probably forgot about it. :(

Personally, I'd like to see "themed" shows. Like, a live show where they just play a bunch of Star Trek games, or different versions of Tetris, or something like that. A show where they could do a deep dive on one series and how it changes over time. Logistically it might be tough since they would need the games and a bunch of different systems to hook up, but I think it'd be interesting.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

Drew brought a great UPF game this week. It was rewarded by everybody on the couch forgetting that he was there or that a game was happening for the majority of the segment.

Xater

Drew brought a great UPF game this week. It was rewarded by everybody on the couch forgetting that he was there or that a game was happening for the majority of the segment.

People were making fun of the game and interesting talk was happening. That segment was a winner in my book. That's what I want on UPF.

daydream

Banned
Personally, I'd like to see "themed" shows. Like, a live show where they just play a bunch of Star Trek games, or different versions of Tetris, or something like that. A show where they could do a deep dive on one series and how it changes over time. Logistically it might be tough since they would need the games and a bunch of different systems to hook up, but I think it'd be interesting.

They sporadically did this for TNT and honestly, I was really into it. Whether they focused on PS1 sequels to old Atari properties, Star Wars games or the creations of influential developers like Dave Lang and Bra:D Muir, it was always entertaining.

Based on Dan's games last Friday, the show has not been professional much at all

They shut it down, though, right when things got interesting. Purple Toad didn't know what was coming to him!

Bacon

Brad and Jeff just need to start making some more premium content. At the moment all they are contributing to premium is their segments on UPF. If we could get just one more thing from the two of them it would be great. I'm not trying to complain because metal Gear Scanlon has been utterly fantastic, I just want to see Jeff in more content.

It's reminds me of the last few months of TNT, where it just seemed like they were doing it more as an obligation to their fanbase than because they're wanting to put up a fun show.

Really, it's all been downhill since that time that they ignored vinny and made him mad. you can trace the downfall of UPF to that exact moment.

that's also when he decided to move to new york

Brad and Jeff just need to start making some more premium content. At the moment all they are contributing to premium is their segments on UPF. If we could get just one more thing from the two of them it would be great. I'm not trying to complain because metal Gear Scanlon has been utterly fantastic, I just want to see Jeff in more content.

even occasional one off stuff would be cool, like vinny's bot colony stream. they don't need to dedicate themselves to a regular series or anything (jeff especially is probably too busy running the site to do that).

I know UPF is actually about them playing whatever they want but I feel like they have played more interesting games in the past. Nowadays I mostly just skip through to see if they have something good and watch those segments and skip the rest.

At least Dan has brought some good bad dumb weird cool games to UPF, it would be even worse without him.

They sporadically did this for TNT and honestly, I was really into it. Whether they focused on PS1 sequels to old Atari properties, Star Wars games or the creations of influential developers like Dave Lang and Bra:D Muir, it was always entertaining.

They shut it down, though, right when things got interesting. Purple Toad didn't know what was coming to him!

The Lang/Muir shows were some of my favorite content GB has done, and that's despite never having played anything that Lang or Muir have worked on. Would love to see them do something with Tim Schafer or Ed Boon

Patryn

That's not just Drew. I feel like most games where a person gets behind the PC to play a single-player game end up being the person playing the game while the people on the couches make random conversation.

But, yeah, I agree that UPF needs to be shaken up. I think the tweets about how the crew suddenly remember it's Friday and they need to find a game to play indicate that perhaps they need to rethink things.

I don't think everyone has to bring a game. I'd love it if they used it more for stuff like Vinny's Castlevania thing where he gets a chance to play something he wanted to play instead of just grabbing a random game and trying it out.

daydream

Banned
How can anyone hate on IDARB? Other than a couple of the dumb memes it looks great. And Mike Mika is a hell of a cool guy.

For the record, I'm down with Mike Mika, he's great. I just think the gameplay has been pulled off better and, well, giving Twitter the time of day in such an aggressive fashion is lame, imo. I'm obviously in the minority since the rest of y'all seems to be cool with it.

Did Brad ever finish DMC1? He should do that.

Yeah, he did. Still waiting for DMC2 over here. Will probably happen right after the return of Vinnvania, haha..

j/k I have faith in Vinnagawa

Hopefully Brad plays DMC 2. Its alright

I finished DMC2 on a lazy saturday afternoon, in one sitting, simply by staying back and shooting everything from a distance.

It's not a good game to play, so i'd imagine it's not a good one to watch, either. I hope he has gerbil cam setup for that event.

jt3N0COTJzOrr.PNG

Patryn

I hope they do a Eurovision live stream next year, they all seem to be interested in concept and the show it self.

I doubt they will. The legal issues with rebroadcasting something like Eurovision can be tricky. Plus, I feel like they're unlikely to come in on a day off for something like that.

Then again, I could be wrong.

Strax

I doubt they will. The legal issues with rebroadcasting something like Eurovision can be tricky. Plus, I feel like they're unlikely to come in on a day off for something like that.

I'm pretty sure they offer a free stream on their website for everybody to watch. Lets hope for the best.

I think he meant they should just film their reactions.

AcridMeat

Banned
Was this actually a thing? When was this? Who could maka Papa Vinny mad?
Or old PC games, especially FMV ones. They have boxes of that shit yet do nothing with it.
This is what I'm confused by. There was a stretch where people were sending in boxes and boxes of old games, games that everybody seemed to be excited for, and yet nothing happened with them. Did they do anything with all of the Star Trek games for instance? That would be perfect for Brad and Jeff since they love it.

Megasoum

Banned
Lol... Watching the Bombin from this morning. Alex is trying to show a book to the camera but because Google Hangout keep switching from Patrick to Alex, Patrick decides to narrate what is happening on Alex's screen... That's not how it works lol, let him talk by himself and the camera will stay on him!

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Was this actually a thing? When was this? Who could maka Papa Vinny mad?
This is what I'm confused by. There was a stretch where people were sending in boxes and boxes of old games, games that everybody seemed to be excited for, and yet nothing happened with them. Did they do anything with all of the Star Trek games for instance? That would be perfect for Brad and Jeff since they love it.

I think freedom's referring to an episode where vinny was ready to play his game, and they just decided to keep playing the game they had been playing (or something like that), and vinny was like "oh ok" and just kinda sat there quietly. It was funny to imagine that he was terribly aggrieved by the entire thing.

Bacon

Lol... Watching the Bombin from this morning. Alex is trying to show a book to the camera but because Google Hangout keep switching from Patrick to Alex, Patrick decides to narrate what is happening on Alex's screen... That's not how it works lol, let him talk by himself and the camera will stay on him!

I think he was doing that for the people who will listen to this in podcast form.

daydream

Banned
I think freedom's referring to an episode where vinny was ready to play his game, and they just decided to keep playing the game they had been playing (or something like that), and vinny was like "oh ok" and just kinda sat there quietly. It was funny to imagine that he was terribly aggrieved by the entire thing.

Nah, he was playing Lifeless Planet and after a while their attention shifted to watching cigs66 instead (whom they had just discovered earlier).

KingKong

That sounds familiar, was it when they were watching twitch streams?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom