• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bombin' reminded me I would love S. to be the next Bomb After Reading

v983d0Sl.jpg

Alfredo

Did Alex and Patrick talk about the new DMC games on their morning show?

If this week's Bombcast mentions the DmC and DMC4 remasters, how much you wanna bet they get confused about fan demand for DMC4? :p

MGS2's plot is so fucking convoluted that it's almost impossible to spoil it for a newcomer unless you're just explaining plot points at length, which he hasn't done. He's said some smaller things here and there, but there's no way someone who's new to the game would pick up on that.

I played MGS2 (albeit years ago) and I can't tell if Dan has spoiled anything. From the last episode the only thing I can recall was emphasizing to Drew about paying attention to Campbell's dialogues, which may have been a bit on the nose, but I don't get the impression that Drew insinuated anything about it beyond that.

Egg0

Banned
Anytime I think about DMC4, I'm reminded of that dumb petition to Capcom to not make it multiplatform.

Also I think DmC also had some stupid petition as well. They should release it as a two-pack, "Petition Edition"

Volotaire

I feel we'll get a MGScanlon will come tomorrow.

On the talk about UPF needing a revamp or a replacement, I fully agree. I feel there needs to be a new show that rejuvenates the traditional weekly premium content timeslot since a lot of the recent shows in the past months have become rather drab or dry in both humour, which comes across in the games the hosts choose sometimes or their energy on the show. Although Dan has given the show a good 'kick up' with some of his game choices, along with regular appearances form the GS crew, I don't think it's enough to sustain UPF in the long term.

Myggen

I feel we'll get a MGScanlon will come tomorrow.

On the talk about UPF needing a revamp or a replacement, I fully agree. I feel there needs to be a new show that rejuvenates the traditional weekly premium content timeslot since a lot of the recent shows in the past months have become rather drab or dry in both humour, which comes across in the games the hosts choose sometimes or their energy on the show. Although Dan has given the show a good 'kick up' with some of his game choices, along with regular appearances form the GS crew, I don't think it's enough to sustain UPF in the long term.

I thought the UPF last Friday really good. Good choices and good energy all around (your enjoyment of IDARB might vary of course, but I liked it even if Twitter got a bit too terrible at times).

Volotaire

I thought the UPF last Friday really good. Good choices and good energy all around (your enjoyment of IDARB might vary of course, but I liked it even if Twitter got a bit too terrible at times).

Oh yeh I agree with Wolfienstein and IDARB. But on a general week, it usually isn't up to last week's quality.

I always like it when they all play together. I like watching them all play the wacky/irreverent games such as IDARB, Gang Beasts, Mount your friends as much as I do watching them play games such as Fibbage, Drawful (especially Drawful), etc. These always seem to generate the most laughs/happy times. I also like when they take time to browse Live From PlayStation, especially when they catch up with Cigs66. While the solo games are typically unique and varied, sometimes the person playing it is way into it, while the others seem to want the segment to end as possible (i.e. Dan's Wario Date thing). I do think they should try to shorten each segment to allow for more variation. Maybe bring 2 games per person instead of one?

Heading home for Christmas, bringing my PS4. I don't think I can get myself to buy the whole Jackbox Pack, but, Fibbage for $7 seems like a deal. I wouldn't play the 2015 Jack game and Drawful isn't going to get me to pay the other $18.

Anyone give them a shot after seeing the QL or UPF?

Myggen

Heading home for Christmas, bringing my PS4. I don't think I can get myself to buy the whole Jackbox Pack, but, Fibbage for $7 seems like a deal. I wouldn't play the 2015 Jack game and Drawful isn't going to get me to pay the other $18.

I bought the whole pack. Played it with friends a couple of times, and everyone really liked it. Planning on brining it home for Christmas (with my PS4) to play some rounds with my family. It's a good time!

the whole package is a steal do it.

Balb

I would get the bundle. It's future proof plus Fibbage XL has more questions which is really important for a game like that.

so I finally followed up on Jeff's recommendation (of sorts) to create a JP PSN account on my PS4. Thought, oh sweet, let's see what's exclusive in the store!

... some mahjong games, like 5 musou games, a new Oneechanbara game that I'm weirdly tempted to buy.. and not much else?

Lame.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
so I finally followed up on Jeff's recommendation (of sorts) to create a JP PSN account on my PS4. Thought, oh sweet, let's see what's exclusive in the store!

... some mahjong games, like 5 musou games, a new Oneechanbara game that I'm weirdly tempted to buy.. and not much else?

Lame.

Even lamer: I got confused for a moment and went to look up the Oneechanbara quick look, confusing it with Kenka Bancho. Luckily I realized my mistake and now I'm watching the right one.

I just looked up "Yaoi" on Google.

Interesting.

ha! not really my cup of tea, but if it was, it probably wouldn't be my tag, would it? let's not forget Yaoi's sister, Yuri.

talking about sweet arcade ports by hamster, bro

crazy climber, city connection, rygar, solomon's key - i'd buy them all

ah. they're like $8 a pop though and that's not including the markup on JP PSN cards.

it'd probably be worth getting Crazy Climber for laughs though

edit: ok so this Dream C Club game... you have to "play" the song 14 times (one for each girl) to get all the trophies. bizarrely they decided to record 14 different vocal tracks? I don't know why it exists. you don't even control anything!

daydream

Banned
ah. they're like $8 a pop though and that's not including the markup on JP PSN cards.

it'd probably be worth getting Crazy Climber for laughs though

yeah, I mean, I'd gladly shell out 8 bucks for proper emulation, say, by M2 who go the extra mile on a lot of stuff (and their amazing work on 3DS is even cheaper than that). seems a bit much for a straightforward port

also, Crazy Climber 2 might be out by now (pretty sure it had a December release date) so keep that in mind, I guess

the first one might be better for comedic value, though

Bara sounds more up my alley :p

afaik the only difference is marketing, specifically bara is aimed at male readers, yaoi at females. not really sure what is actually different between the two as the content - in theory - is similar.

goddammit I only have myself to blame

Myggen

Any indication of what happened to the last couple iterations of this? Too much work to keep running?

It apparently costs $20 a month to keep a channel like that running, according to the guy who runs the newest version, so might have something to do with it. Someone on Reddit offered to pay him $240 to keep it running for a year, so I'm sure this will be up for longer.

afaik the only difference is marketing, specifically bara is aimed at male readers, yaoi at females. not really sure what is actually different between the two as the content - in theory - is similar.

Some people take it issue or that some is directed to different demographics. In the case of the other genre, yuri, some fans insist to make differences between stuff aimed to teenagers, adult female readers or moe otaku fans even when is clear at times that the three collide most often than not.

daydream

Banned
I need Cara to weigh in on this hot subject

speaking of which, still no official statement on the open position, right? they're probably trying to avoid a repetition of last time's hubbub

Myggen

I need Cara to weigh in on this hot subject

speaking of which, still no official statement on the open position, right? they're probably trying to avoid a repetition of last time's hubbub

Yeah, they haven't even said that there's an open position, just announced it on LinkedIn.

Bara is specifically buff dudes. Beefcakes. Sometimes beyond beefcake and into roid territory. An occasional bear.

Yaoi is for the pretty boys. Twinks. Fairies. Visual Kei wannabes.

I have now done some research and confirmed this to be true.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Bara is specifically buff dudes. Beefcakes. Sometimes beyond beefcake and into roid territory. An occasional bear.

Yaoi is for the pretty boys. Twinks. Fairies. Visual Kei wannabes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom