• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacon

Did you change your username btw? I've been thinking about shortening mine to daydream.

Yeah I pmed emcee last week and looks like he got to it this morning. I was tired of people thinking the bm at the end stood for bowel movement. (It was a dumb username anyway - it stood for my first and middle initials, that's the kind of creativity I've got going on)

Yeah I pmed emcee last week and looks like he got to it this morning. I was tired of people thinking the bm at the end stood for bowel movement. (It was a dumb username anyway - it stood for my first and middle initials, that's the kind of creativity I've got going on)

Looool

Damn I forgot the GOTY podcasts are going to be a spoiler minefield again.

yup, it's the greatest reason to leave your backlog behind and play the stuff that came out this year. For me, nothing that they're going to spoil really matters since there haven't been any major games with stories i might find interesting outside of maybe Dragon Age. And please, spoil Destiny's story for me. I want to laugh.

I hope they have a creep out of the year award, because Wolfenstein has a couple of moments that i was genuinely bothered by, hah.

Myggen

yup, it's the greatest reason to leave your backlog behind and play the stuff that came out this year. For me, nothing that they're going to spoil really matters since there haven't been any major games with stories i might find interesting outside of maybe Dragon Age. And please, spoil Destiny's story for me. I want to laugh.

I hope they have a creep out of the year award, because Wolfenstein has a couple of moments that i was genuinely bothered by, hah.

Thinking back, I think Wolfenstein is a top 3 game for me. Best playing game for me this year, just fantastic gunplay and the best shotgun ever(?). Would never have predicted that before the year began.

I don't really care about story stuff, because you can't put that into context without having played the game. It's mostly cool or surprising moments or game mechanics or whatever. "For example there is this part where you x" is my most hated sentence when people talk about newly released games and shit.

AcridMeat

Banned
I think freedom's referring to an episode where vinny was ready to play his game, and they just decided to keep playing the game they had been playing (or something like that), and vinny was like "oh ok" and just kinda sat there quietly. It was funny to imagine that he was terribly aggrieved by the entire thing.
Hahahah that's great, I must have missed that one. Like a kid who gets passed on show and tell day.

FStop7

Banned
I finally got Driveclub. It was on sale.

It's not as bad as Jeff made it out to be. Perhaps the post-release patches have fixed some of the things he really disliked. The handling model IS inappropriate, though. It's... odd. It's far from "sim" but it's not arcade, either. But it is definitely the wrong handling model for a game that's repeatedly been touted as a tribute to our favorite cars, down to the fine details. What point is there in painstakingly modeling the interior stitching if the way the car actually drives isn't properly recreated?

That said, I'm enjoying the game. If I were playing fantasy video game reviewer, I would give it a 3 out 5 with the only thing holding it back from a 4 being the handling.

I finally got Driveclub. It was on sale.

It's not as bad as Jeff made it out to be. Perhaps the post-release patches have fixed some of the things he really disliked. The handling model IS inappropriate, though. It's... odd. It's far from "sim" but it's not arcade, either. But it is definitely the wrong handling model for a game that's repeatedly been touted as a tribute to our favorite cars, down to the fine details. What point is there in painstakingly modeling the interior stitching if the way the car actually drives isn't properly recreated?

That said, I'm enjoying the game. If I were playing fantasy video game reviewer, I would give it a 3 out 5 with the only thing holding it back from a 4 being the handling.

I've been enjoying the multiplayer, although it still takes forever to connect to a lobby for me. I really wish there was some more interesting progression outside of an experience meter. At least let me buy the cars or upgrade them or something so I have a little attachment to them. Makes it feel kinda dated.

Myggen

look at this Hayden Panettiere bathtub simulator, friends

http://youtu.be/InhV7glyMl0

GOTY 2015, goddammit

prince.jpg

Did David Cage make a horror game?

Brad and Jeff just need to start making some more premium content. At the moment all they are contributing to premium is their segments on UPF. If we could get just one more thing from the two of them it would be great. I'm not trying to complain because metal Gear Scanlon has been utterly fantastic, I just want to see Jeff in more content.

I wonder if after Ryan passed Jeff had to take over planning of liveshows and convention stuff that Ryan did, on top of his usual responsibilities of running the site and being editor-in-chief. I could see Jeff actually being pretty busy and end up little time for a premium feature while also participating in quick looks.

Myggen

I wonder if after Ryan passed Jeff had to take over planning of liveshows and convention stuff that Ryan did, on top of his usual responsibilities of running the site and being editor-in-chief. I could see Jeff actually being pretty busy and end up little time for a premium feature while also participating in quick looks.

Jeff has, as far as I can remember, never been part of a long-running Premium feature except for Jar Time. So it's something he has delegated from the start, probably because he's too busy with running the site. I would really love another Breaking Brad or something though!

Just finished MGS2 part 8.... Dan keeps accidentally giving away big parts of the plot, unfortunately.

Eh, don't think that's a big deal considering how much plot there is to MGS2. Dan hasn't really given away anything that, if Drew even remembers it, will spoil the "holy fuck" moments of that game.

Hey duders, finally bought the year premium subscription. I'm working on metal gear scanlon obviously, and I've watched the classic ones like breaking bread and north korea drew.

It's tough to find the time to watch UPF at all since they are two hours each, but can anyone recommend any must see ones from the past I should go back and look up?

Myggen

Hey duders, finally bought the year premium subscription. I'm working on metal gear scanlon obviously, and I've watched the classic ones like breaking bread and north korea drew.

It's tough to find the time to watch UPF at all since they are two hours each, but can anyone recommend any must see ones from the past I should go back and look up?

Here's a start (with more Premium content to watch!):

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

Some to check out off the top of my head:

Vinny Plays Second Life (I'll wait here for you to get back, if you could resist clicking based off that description you're hopeless)

Dream Gear

Cat Mario

The Birth of Backflips and Bioforge

daydream

Banned
Hm, as a newcomer to MG who is trying to follow the plot intently, I really didn't notice Dan saying anything spoiler-y that I could identify as such. He drew the King/Sears/Solidus connection before Drew had realised it but that was pretty obvious to everyone and their cat, anyway, and I'd classify it as a reminder rather than a spoiler.

And, well, if he really spoiled something (which I doubt, the MGS nuts in here haven't mentioned anything) Drew and I wouldn't have been able to tell, anyway, so it's of no consequence.

I actually think Dan has done a perfect job so far during MGS2. Must not be easy to keep quiet.

Myggen

Hm, as a newcomer to MG who is trying to follow the plot intently, I really didn't notice Dan saying anything spoiler-y that I could identify as such. He drew the King/Sears/Solidus connection before Drew had realised it but that was pretty obvious to everyone and their cat, anyway, and I'd classify it as a reminder rather than a spoiler.

And, well, if he really spoiled something (which I doubt, the MGS nuts in here haven't mentioned anything) Drew and I wouldn't have been able to tell, anyway, so it's of no consequence.

I actually think Dan has done a perfect job so far during MGS2. Must not be easy to keep quiet.

MGS2's plot is so fucking convoluted that it's almost impossible to spoil it for a newcomer unless you're just explaining plot points at length, which he hasn't done. He's said some smaller things here and there, but there's no way someone who's new to the game would pick up on that.

daydream

Banned
MGS2's plot is so fucking convoluted that it's almost impossible to spoil it for a newcomer unless you're just explaining plot points at length, which he hasn't done. He's said some smaller things here and there, but there's no way someone who's new to the game would pick up on that.

wtf is up with rose tho

worst character of 2014

no need to reply to this but i totally think the twist is going to involve her somehow, there's gotta be some redemption for her awfulness

Patryn

Jeff has also seemingly made a conscious decision to cut back on his output for the site and only work normal hours on it. If you look back at the period after Ryan passed almost up to Dan's hiring, dude was working an unhealthy amount. Luckily Dan's antics have allowed Jeff the opportunity to step a bit more into the background.

While I could guess at why he made this move, I'm not Jeff so I couldn't say with any certainty. Odds are that it also ties in his move away from social media.

Xater

wtf is up with rose tho

worst character of 2014

no need to reply to this but i totally think the twist is going to involve her somehow, there's gotta be some redemption for her awfulness

You don't need to read but...

Yes there is some pay off to that.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Jeff has, as far as I can remember, never been part of a long-running Premium feature except for Jar Time. So it's something he has delegated from the start, probably because he's too busy with running the site. I would really love another Breaking Brad or something though!

I'd like to see some Dan driven Premium feature. Hell, they should just call it Danime and make him play a few hours of a bunch of dumb/great/dumb anime games.

The Lego Island segment remains the best UPF bit.

Drew got Lego Island 2 a while ago but hasn't done anything with it, yet. Probably forgot about it. :(

Because Lego Island 2 was just a bland collection of minigames that didn't have any of the personality or fever dream randomness of the first. Even my 12 year old self knew it sucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom