• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
akDmBvO.gif

Best moment in the series.

i need a series of games that shows us how they developed this handshake.

I really want to pretend that MGS4 being a lackluster is partly because the woes of HD development. I mean, Kojima is self indulgent but stuff like this and how allowed that Rising ended in awesome way it end, makes believe he is self conscious on how ham fisted the stuff of his games sounds.

So Ground Zeroes is released on PC today. How does it tie into the other games (if at all), what should I have played before playing it? I'm currently playing MGS3 (done with 1 and 2), and I'll probably never play MGS4 unless it gets HDfied for PC or PS4.

This is the canonical chronological order:

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (1964)
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (1970)
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (1974)
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (1975)
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (1984)
Metal Gear (1995)
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (1999)
Metal Gear Solid (2005)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (2007 and 2009)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (2014)
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (2018)

We haven't even gotten to the best parts and Metal Gear Scanlon 2 is already much better than 1 (which was pretty great it in it's own right). It helps that Drew seem to be enjoying it more and isn't constantly messing up and blaming the game.

This is the canonical chronological order:

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (1964)
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (1970)
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (1974)
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (1975)
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (1984)
Metal Gear (1995)
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (1999)
Metal Gear Solid (2005)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (2007 and 2009)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (2014)
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (2018)

Thought the quesion is if Portable ops is canon anymore.

Volotaire

Are they going to play the HD version of Peace Walker? Since it's on the disc as well. I don't know much about the game or story so I have no idea if it would be a good idea or not.

Zebetite

Banned
I thought it was a joke about Raiden's feminine looks.

I think the idea is that he was expecting Olga to be the one to do him in, considering she works for the Patriots. So he checks to see if Raiden is a lady or not and is surprised by his findings. But yes, the overall justification for the scene is Kojima being goofy old Kojima.

On the topic of MGS4, as discussed above: I think the reason the game turned out the way it did is because it's the first MGS game that Kojima actually didn't want to make. I seem to recall around the PW press cycle he had a lot of strong words to say about MGS4's development (framed against how much happier he was with PW's development cycle).

One can infer a similar case for Metal Gear Solid 2, considering the entire game is a
repudiation of people who wanted an average cop-out of a sequel to the first game
. Evidently, he found an inspiring angle and worked it to the best possible degree, and the game turned out a masterpiece.

But then he had to make a direct sequel to MGS2. You know, the game that had an
elaborate subtextual commentary on the futility and wastefulness of direct sequels
. And he had to answer a ton of questions that were deliberately asked without answers in mind.

Example: Why does Vamp keep coming back to life? In MGS2,
one can infer it's because he's a direct contradiction to the numerous bosses who stay dead in MGS1, serving as a constant reminder of the player's inferiority to the Snake that they so willfully idolize and dismantling that particular series convention
. In MGS4, it's because
nanomachines
. Had to answer the question, right?

Archaix suggested above that MGS4 "needed somebody to chain Kojima in a room while they cut everything down to 10% of its runtime," but I think the source of the problem is that Kojima was chained up in a room to begin with.

---

Back on the topic of Metal Gear Scanlon itself: God damn I can't wait for the rest of MGS2. As soon as there was the implication that they might do the entire MGS series, a lightbulb went off in my head: "I can't wait to see Drew (or any human being who isn't myself) react live to their first exposure to the ending of Metal Gear Solid 2. I want to see the sorts of desperate reactions people had over ten years ago, but captured on a video in the present day. I want to see someone who has witnessed firsthand how far video games have come since 2001, and I want to see his face as he witnesses firsthand that video games haven't gone fucking anywhere since 2001. Also I want to see Drew play MGS3 because he'll like it a lot. But mostly the ending of MGS2."

Words can't describe how excited I am, really. It's the most excited I've been about MGS2 in at least five years, and that's saying something because it's one of my favorite games of all time.

Our beloved monsters-- enjoy yourselves.

Zabant

I haven't played Peace Walker yet, but aren't events from Portable Ops referenced in it? If so, wouldn't that make Peace Walker partly non-canonical too?

Most of the events of portable ops are canon, but there are some things that don't gel.

Try to imagine that portable ops is a non-canon game based on events that DID happen in the metal gear universe.

Kinda like Twin Snakes

Zabant

The only thing considered canon from Portable Ops (AFAIK) is the post-credit stuff.

In peace walker miller references the 'San Heironymo Takeover' which is the events of portable ops.

edit: I believe it's when they're talking about being given mother base and expanding MSF, the line is "Finally, we can leave all that crap in San Hieronymo behind."

Important Story beats from PO
1) BB meets Roy Campbel
2) The idea for Outer Heaven
3) Ocelot gets half the Legacy
4) Ocelot and Zero create "The Patriots"
5) Foxhound was created
6) Presumably BB's army in PW is made from all the people he recruits from PO.
7) BB's 2nd meeting with Grey Fox.
8) Python, Raikov, and Sokolov all live through the events.

DanRyckert

A good strange little man
You know, I barely remember anything out of MGS4 in terms of overall moments except a few things:

1. Microwave tunnel
2. Fistfighting liquid snake and going through the history of metal gear games on top of arsenal gear or something
3. Meryl and Johnny's extremely stupid but kind of funny final shootout
4. Sunny cooks eggs
5. Raiden is a ninja
6. Ocelot finger pistols

That's it. That's the sum total of what I remember. Man, MGS1 - 3 sticks out so much more in my head for some reason.

Those are basically the six things I remember from that game. Also, there was an annoying stealth segment in Paris and there was a monkey at some point.

I remember the fucking
wedding
. I don't know if it's because I was older or what, but that is the dumbest part of any metal gear ever. That whole thing is so fucking stupid.

I really want to pretend that MGS4 being a lackluster is partly because the woes of HD development. I mean, Kojima is self indulgent but stuff like this and how allowed that Rising ended in awesome way it end, makes believe he is self conscious on how ham fisted the stuff of his games sounds.

The gulf between MGS4 as originally promised in 2005 and MGS4 as it was actually released is pretty huge, and Kojima actually admitted that they hyped it up way too much based on unfinished PS3 spec info.

The original game presented in 2005 and early 2006 was like 60fps at a full 720p with much higher poly counts (Snake's mustache has more triangles than an MGS3 guard!!!) and all of these promises of destructible environments (no place to hide!!!) and being able to influence battles between opposing armies dynamically.

The final game ran mostly at 30fps (but it could rise or fall), at a weird resolution like a stretched 1024x768 with horrible vaseline image quality, the levels were mostly linear and static, and the "influencing the battlefield" was just a couple of times in the first two chapters where you shot at PMCs to help local rebels because the PMCs always hated you no matter what and the rebels would give you free stuff if you didn't murder them for no reason so there was no reason not to help them every time.

In peace walker miller references the 'San Heironymo Takeover' which is the events of portable ops.

edit: I believe it's when they're talking about being given mother base and expanding MSF, the line is "Finally, we can leave all that crap in San Hieronymo behind."

Important Story beats from PO
1) BB meets Roy Campbel
2) The idea for Outer Heaven
3) Ocelot gets half the Legacy
4) Ocelot and Zero create "The Patriots"
5) Foxhound was created
6) Presumably BB's army in PW is made from all the people he recruits from PO.
7) BB's 2nd meeting with Grey Fox.
8) Python, Raikov, and Sokolov all live through the events.

As far as what's actually been referenced, none of that stuff actually has been brought up again. Peace Walker is pretty much Portable Ops all over again
BB wants to start a mercenary army, make outer heaven.

PO wasn't even listed in the recent 25 anniversary timelime

So basically, it all boils down to that ending conversation from POs and a small mention of the incident in PW and that's it.

Peace walker might be a bit too much grind i think

It is if you play the "final" chapter. You get a credit sequence before then, and you can pretty much youtube that last section and watch how disappointing the twists are.

Zabant

Peace walker might be a bit too much grind i think

It's story super integral to MGSV though, if they plan on doing them all then missing PW would be missing out on a whole bunch of story.

PO is a hard game to play today as the controls SUCK!, worse than MGS1 if you ask me.

if Dan & Drew want to do them all and get the full MGS story then i'd recommend watching the "Portable Ops Movie" on youtube which is a well edited vid of all the cut-scenes and important gameplay moments from the game.

There's also one for Peace Walker and the rest of the games.

True, but Kojima largely ignores Revengeance also and that's still canon. Kojima only cares about Kojima metal gear it seems.
(remember the diss in the ground zeroes nostalgia mission with the blacklight on the logos?
, until he comes out and officialy declares PO isn't canon, I think it's best to assume it's events took place

Bacon

Next Bomb After Reading!

Give me an excuse to finally read it after I've had it for a couple years now.

I started reading it a couple years ago but it was just too much for me. All the footnotes and switching back and forth between stories made it a really difficult read.

cdViking

Couldn't help myself after the cliff hanger, and finished cutscenes for the rest of the game.
I was totally on board with everything up until the last half hour... it went from batshit-crazy-awesome to terrible Philosophy 101 analysis. In retrospect, I understand a lot more why the Matrix 3 turned out the way it did. That said, mind was blown when they had the initial S3 explanation.

I started reading it a couple years ago but it was just too much for me. All the footnotes and switching back and forth between stories made it a really difficult read.

same

i started to read it and neither story really grabbed me so i sort of lost interest

i liked what they were doing though

Same. I'd get to the point where
they would start noticing the dimensions of the house changing
and I'd kind of lose interest. Not sure what it is exactly. I keep wanting to go back and give it another try.

What were Alex and Patrick saying about it? Might have to go back and listen.

Bacon

they would start noticing the demensions of the house changing
and I'd kind of lose interest. Not sure what it is exactly. I keep wanting to go back and give it another try.

Huh. I think that is exactly where I stopped reading myself. Interesting.

they would start noticing the dimensions of the house changing

i got a little further than that and i think
the kids had went missing or something
(kind of maybe a spoiler? i don't remember it's still pretty early on)

it just felt like a bad found footage movie released on dvd with no promise of upcoming pay offs

I did like some of the stuff around it though. The made up footnotes, and the crazy apeshit type and patterns.

If it gets no mentions in TPP i think we can lay this issue to rest, but i'll take what that timeline says and the fact that Peace Walker got HD'd but Portable Ops was left to cry in a corner with the PSP a clear indicator that it's either barely canon or he just doesn't give a shit for it, which pretty much makes it non-canon.

He's probably always going to say it's canon because he doesn't want to completely shit on the work people in his team did on PO, btw. It's easier to say yes every time he's asked as opposed to saying, no it's not canon and i think it's pretty much garbage.

Zabant

He's probably always going to say it's canon because he doesn't want to completely shit on the work people in his team did on PO, btw. It's easier to say yes every time he's asked as opposed to saying, no it's not canon and i think it's pretty much garbage.

The man says it's canon. It does not get any more clear cut then that.

He was the producer also, it's not like he was completely absent from that game.
I agree, the game is shit and should be skipped, but to pretend that it's events didn't happen when even he says they did is getting into 'fan head-canon' territory

On a related note,
I'd also love for the Star Wars prequels to no longer be canon as they're utter shite, but alas they are. (the one thing Disney SHOULD have thrown out)

House of Leaves is a favorite of mine. If you can get down with weird mysteries that have only the barest hints of explanations by the end, it's a lot of fun. Especially when it gets really off-the-wall crazy in the back half. I've read it twice and can give you dozens of weird theories about what might be happening because it's basically just a bunch of Legos that you never got the instruction booklet for so you're just building them into a car and then a boat and then a house. I do think there is some real literary merit to the way it explores some of its themes though, and I'm a sucker for weird storytelling gimmicks.

This is a long-winded way of saying that I too would read that book again if they did a podcast about it.

Yeah, Portable Ops has some pretty important shit regarding the Patriots and what not. No way it can't be canon, even if Kojima hates it.

I can see Dan just showing Drew the ending on YouTube or something, or just explaining it to him on a bonus episode or something. Peace Walker though, that one has to be played after MGS4, no excuses.

Zabant

Yeah, Portable Ops has some pretty important shit regarding the Patriots and what not. No way it can't be canon, even if Kojima hates it.

I can see Dan just showing Drew the ending on YouTube or something, or just explaining it to him on a bonus episode or something. Peace Walker though, that one has to be played after MGS4, no excuses.

Agreed

Though, If there's a game that needs a remake it's PO.

Perhaps a 15$ downloadable (ala ground zeroes) using the fox engine?

Maybe even a DLC episode for PP.

dan and drew could get two PS3s and copies of Peace Walker HD in the same room and become combat buddies having fun

If they must play Peace Walker, that's the way to do it. My assumption is skipping Peace Walker, reading the backstory in Ground Zeroes has the same impact as skipping MG1&2 before MGS1.

House of Leaves is a favorite of mine. If you can get down with weird mysteries that have only the barest hints of explanations by the end, it's a lot of fun. Especially when it gets really off-the-wall crazy in the back half. I've read it twice and can give you dozens of weird theories about what might be happening because it's basically just a bunch of Legos that you never got the instruction booklet for so you're just building them into a car and then a boat and then a house. I do think there is some real literary merit to the way it explores some of its themes though, and I'm a sucker for weird storytelling gimmicks.

This is a long-winded way of saying that I too would read that book again if they did a podcast about it.

This is a lot of what brought me to it. I've always wanted to give it another try, it's just hard to do when thinking about it. It can seem like a daunting task.

It doesn't help that around the same time Raw Shark Texts was recommended on being similar and I found it FUCKING STUPID(I have a lot of hate for this waste of time), and was kind of worried about House of Leaves ending up similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom