• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgminto

They can't miss Peace Walker, they'd miss the stupidest plot twist outside of 2/4. Plus, a co-op run would be really fun to watch.

Introducci%C3%B3n_-_MGSPW_-_Coldman.png

they're all in cahoots, i tell ya

giantbomb is actually controlled by twelve gaf members

now that i've told you this, i have to go underground for a year

I want to know what that means for Solidus exactly. Did he just chill in Ocelot's living room for a year, watching Netflix

dan and drew could get two PS3s and copies of Peace Walker HD in the same room and become combat buddies having fun

This is the only thing that would make me interested in Metal Gear Scanlon: Peace Walker. Because the game is so mediocre, I am not even interested in watching Drew go through it. Coop would make it better.

There are multiple instances of those unlockable taped conversations in PW where they talk about the Boss and the history of Metal Gears and whatnot and the events of PO are completely skipped over as if they just plain didn't happen. That's also combined with some of the stuff implied in the main plot that do not jive at all with things that PO unambiguously introduces.

-EVA still acts as if The Boss's death was merely the CIA wanting a scapegoat for the Volgin nuke thing and not caring about her life (by comparing it to how they treated her in the space program), and not a deliberately organized thing to kill her from the start as stated in PO

-Big Boss meets Hot Coldman, who notes himself as the CIA mission planner for Operation Snake Eater, and Big Boss is just like "Oh whatever pencil pusher," despite PO stating that the CIA planned the Virtuous Mission and Snake Eater as a deliberate plot to force the assassination of The Boss

-There are conversations with Huey about Granin and Sokolov and the history of the Metal Gear project in which the fact that Sokolov is somehow still alive and that there were two previous Metal Gear prototypes made from Granin's plans is never mentioned. They act as if Huey getting Granin's original plans and making Peace Walker is the first implementation of Granin's ideas in real life, and that ZEKE is the first mech to be named "Metal Gear."

-PO ends with Big Boss getting secret microfilm filled with information on bank accounts and resources meant to build a military nation (ie, Outer Heaven). By the start of PW, MSF is like ten guys on a beach and a hut, no equipment, Miller is constantly complaining that they have no money and they need to do jobs for cash (which is why he turns to Cipher for funds). TPP apparently shows them starting up Diamond Dogs from scratch and using diamonds for funding. So what the hell was the point of the funding in PO?

Like it might be canon in the sense that Kojima will acknowledge that something may have happened around that time where Big Boss met some other Metal Gear dudes for the first time, but beyond that he seems extremely willing to just blatantly ignore it and act as if nothing much happened between MGS3 and Peace Walker that wasn't mentioned in those two games.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I wonder if dan likes the manic street preachers

Zabant

Like it might be canon in the sense that Kojima will acknowledge that something may have happened around that time where Big Boss met some other Metal Gear dudes for the first time, but beyond that he seems extremely willing to just blatantly ignore it and act as if nothing much happened between MGS3 and Peace Walker that wasn't mentioned in those two games.

It's pretty obvious he regrets it ever happening.

It's a shame also,
Big boss meeting a young grey fox, campbell, the creation of the first ever official Metal Gear and all the other stuff that happened in PO should have been this awesome moment, instead it's treated like a ginger step-child because he had no part in the writing.

I honestly wish he would come out and say it isn't canon and put it all to rest, but he won't so... we're in a shitty confusing situation

There are multiple instances of those unlockable taped conversations in PW where they talk about the Boss and the history of Metal Gears and whatnot and the events of PO are completely skipped over as if they just plain didn't happen. That's also combined with some of the stuff implied in the main plot that do not jive at all with things that PO unambiguously introduces.

-EVA still acts as if The Boss's death was merely the CIA wanting a scapegoat for the Volgin nuke thing and not caring about her life (by comparing it to how they treated her in the space program), and not a deliberately organized thing to kill her from the start as stated in PO

-Big Boss meets Hot Coldman, who notes himself as the CIA mission planner for Operation Snake Eater, and Big Boss is just like "Oh whatever pencil pusher," despite PO stating that the CIA planned the Virtuous Mission and Snake Eater as a deliberate plot to force the assassination of The Boss

-There are conversations with Huey about Granin and Sokolov and the history of the Metal Gear project in which the fact that Sokolov is somehow still alive and that there were two previous Metal Gear prototypes made from Granin's plans is never mentioned. They act as if Huey getting Granin's original plans and making Peace Walker is the first implementation of Granin's ideas in real life, and that ZEKE is the first mech to be named "Metal Gear."

-PO ends with Big Boss getting secret microfilm filled with information on bank accounts and resources meant to build a military nation (ie, Outer Heaven). By the start of PW, MSF is like ten guys on a beach and a hut, no equipment, Miller is constantly complaining that they have no money and they need to do jobs for cash (which is why he turns to Cipher for funds). TPP apparently shows them starting up Diamond Dogs from scratch and using diamonds for funding. So what the hell was the point of the funding in PO?

Exactly. This is what people forget or ignore when claiming that Portable Ops is canonical just as much as other Metal Gear games. It's not. And I'm glad it's not, because those retcons are bullshit that tarnish MGS3. Even Peace Walker's story about
The Boss AI
is disgusting. Fuck that shit. I hope Phantom Pain gives the same treatment to Peace Walker that that game gave to PO.

I honestly wish he would come out and say it isn't canon and put it all to rest, but he won't so... we're in a shitty confusing situation

He won't, because it would be insulting to the people who worked on it. Like i said earlier, he's just always going to say "yes it's canon" when asked because dismissing it would be a bad look to his team. Instead, he just pretty much ignores it in his "official" games, like EmCeeGramr pointed out.

Just follow the money, Zabant

Exactly. This is what people forget or ignore when claiming that Portable Ops is canonical just as much as other Metal Gear games. It's not. And I'm glad it's not, because those retcons are bullshit that tarnish MGS3. Even Peace Walker's story about
The Boss AI
is disgusting. Fuck that shit. I hope Phantom Pain gives the same treatment to Peace Walker that that game gave to PO.

PW can get super dumb at times, but it doesn't really do a lot of retcon-ish stuff compared to PO, which is why people accept PW - as dumb as the plot is - but hate on the changes made in Portable Ops. And
the boss AI stuff
is just used as a plot device to give BB a reason to get his hands dirty in what everyone and their mother knows is a total trap. It's dumb, but it comes from a game that features cool characters such as Hot Coldman and Dr Strangelove.

I guess that's better than a game featuring a guy named Vamp, though.

I guess that's better than a game featuring a guy named Vamp, though.

The more I think about MGS2, the more I fantasize about Kojima completely remaking it from the ground up to realize his original vision for the game. I want the struts to be bigger and more elaborate, and I want every strut to be visible. I want the pacing to be better. I would also like it for the time of day to become night at some point while the player is still doing business in the Big Shell. The game would be in need of more bosses, which would be great. And the game would need to insert itself neatly in the Metal Gear canon without breaking continuity. That wouldn't really be a problem anyway, as besides Vamp, Dead Cell is no longer relevant in MGS4. So there could be more members of Dead Cell introduced in the MGS2 remake and it wouldn't interfere with anything.

Of course, this will never happen, so I should stop hurting myself. But man, in my mind, there's a boss battle fought on Jetskis on water, in the perimeter of the Big Shell, with Raiden manning the vehicule and Snake shooting the boss with weapons, both being controlled by the player just like in that Uncharted 1 level. How awesome would that be.

The more I think about MGS2, the more I fantasize about Kojima completely remaking it from the ground up to realize his original vision for the game. I want the struts to be bigger and more elaborate, and I want every strut to be visible. I want the pacing to be better. I would also like it for the time of day to become night at some point while the player is still doing business in the Big Shell. The game would be in need of more bosses, which would be great. And the game would need to insert itself neatly in the Metal Gear canon without breaking continuity. That wouldn't really be a problem anyway, as besides Vamp, Dead Cell is no longer relevant in MGS4. So there could be more members of Dead Cell introduced in the MGS2 remake and it wouldn't interfere with anything.

Of course, this will never happen, so I should stop hurting myself. But man, in my mind, there's a boss battle fought on Jetskis on water, in the perimeter of the Big Shell, with Raiden manning the vehicule and Snake shooting the boss with weapons, both being controlled by the player just like in that Uncharted 1 level. How awesome would that be.

There was an excellent post-mortem done by Gamespot after the release of MGS2 where Kojima basically admits that he shat bricks when he realized how behind the game was. He reviewed the milestones for MGS1, compared them to where they stood in MGS2, and then he knew they had to rush the game to get it done. It explains why the Tanker is so much more complex than the Plant (which is just a bunch of hexagons tied together) and probably serves to explain why MGS2 becomes so exposition heavy the further you get into the game, too.

here it is, provided to us by the doritos pope himself, Geoff Keighley

FStop7

Banned
Act II of MGS4 was pretty great.

The rest was meh.

Wait, House of Leaves is a good book? I thought that guy was mostly known for being the brother of the singer Poe.

Fireblend

Banned
I really wanted to love House of Leaves, but it never got past being just quirky and weird for me. And I say this as a huge Borges and psychological horror fan who was looking forward to it and read the book at night with as little light as possible trying to heighten the mood. It just never did anything for me :(

I'm pretty swamped right now, but tomorrowish we can try and figure some of the details if you guys wanna move ahead on that (seperate thread?, how to handle spoilers, the general reading schedule). Or someone else is more than welcome to take the reigns on it if they want.

I think it could be a lot of fun, and a good reason to get me through it.

I'm holding out for Bomb After Reading: Gravity's Rainbow

War and Peace soon.

Crossy Road is now on Android!

Well its on the Amazon App Store. Game seems cool but I had to turn off notifications. Got real spammy real quick.

daydream

Banned
I'm pretty swamped right now, but tomorrowish we can try and figure some of the details if you guys wanna move ahead on that (seperate thread?, how to handle spoilers, the general reading schedule). Or someone else is more than welcome to take the reigns on it if they want.

I think it could be a lot of fun, and a good reason to get me through it.

Sounds good! I'll go along with whatever you guys figure out.

I'm holding out for Bomb After Reading: Gravity's Rainbow

Not gonna take another pic but I'd be up for that, as well, haha. Who knows what the future holds!

Yeah, Portable Ops has some pretty important shit regarding the Patriots and what not. No way it can't be canon, even if Kojima hates it.

To an annoying degree because MGS4 deals with
Big Boss and his support group during the Snake Eater operation being half of Patriots
like a "as you know" than holy shit moment for most fans.

As it was commented, PO seems to not be canon or at least being Apocryphal so is probably for the best consider it until Kojima references it again.

Myggen

From the comments under the most recent MGScanlon:

Wow just found this out on the Metal Gear wikia

"The handshake that he and Snake performed
after Emma's death
in Metal Gear Solid 2 was a physical representation of the konami code (Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A)."

I never realized that.

Bacon

It would be really cool if we got someone who has a good grasp on House of Leaves to lead the discussion/give us a guideline of sorts. Basically I think some structure is going to be needed, especially with how insane the book is.

Shadow of Mordor is Gamespot's GOTY, as if that wasn't obvious from it winning best PS4 game and best Xbox One game.

It would be really cool if we got someone who has a good grasp on House of Leaves to lead the discussion/give us a guideline of sorts. Basically I think some structure is going to be needed, especially with how insane the book is.

I can probably help out in that regard. Best way to do it is probably to read it in chunks so that people can discuss what they think is happening as they go along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom