• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Although they are updating Metal Gear Scanlon at a nice pace...

...it's not fast enough. I want more. Just have to fight temptation to watch MGS2 cutscenes.

I don't have much of a problem with Raiden, he seems a bit goofy and like he's in over his head and incompetent in spots, but I don't hate him. I honestly don't understand how the story can get even more crazy, but it's probably smart to not underestimate Kojima.

I don't have much of a problem with Raiden, he seems a bit goofy and like he's in over his head and incompetent in spots, but I don't hate him. I honestly don't understand how the story can get even more crazy, but it's probably smart to not underestimate Kojima.

if im keeping up with where i think theyre at (im a few episodes behind)

this is like super normal still

relative to what youre gonna be seeing

hamchan

Heh

Tamanon

Banned

I have a sense of where the story is going, if only because of the constant references to
the simulations

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
if im keeping up with where i think theyre at (im a few episodes behind)

this is like super normal still

relative to what youre gonna be seeing

There have been a couple of long episodes. There's still a way to go, but we've definitely entered the actual crazy part of MGS2. Between
the revelations about Otacon's family, followed by the hilariously goofy shots and the Olga/Snake betrayal
it's hard to say we haven't at least dipped our toe in the deep end.

Although they are updating Metal Gear Scanlon at a nice pace...

...it's not fast enough. I want more. Just have to fight temptation to watch MGS2 cutscenes.

I'm tempted because maybe I just didn't understand the ending properly, but I seem to remember it being something along the lines of (End-Game MGS2 spoilers)
the Patriots are actually an elaborate AI system, except they've been dead for 2 hundred years, so you've been dealing with robot ghosts the whole time.
I'm hoping that there was just something I missed, because it really just felt like twists for the sake of twists.

Late to watching the latest mailbag but Dan with a knife just looks insanely dangerous.

by this time next year everyone at CBSi will have taken a mandatory knife safety course because of dan trying to do a cool guy thing, and they're going to take away jeff's knife drawer.

Solidus must be big boss's batshit nuts side.

... They're all his batshit nuts side, aren't they

Phantom Pain seems headed to demostrate that. Thought at moments in MGS3 and PW he can be a clumsier and goofier Snake.

Naked Snake: But... how does it taste? :3

I think Dan looks like Seth Rogan...

kNYTp96.jpg

Za4DgAb.png

That's all. Goodnight.

The PS4 is the first Sony system I've ever owned. I played through MGS1 at a friend's house and through MGS2 on my brother's PS2. I loved the story in MGS1, but the whole Patriots crap and especially the ending of MGS2 really soured me on the series. I'm curious about MGS3, but I have a ton of games to play through right now, so I'm not sure I'll get around to it. Has anybody played the 3DS port?

I tried it but it wasn't a particularly great way to experience the game. I ended up buying the game on the Vita.

i look forward to hearing oddly specific descriptions of the guys as imagined by you

you haven't seen pictures of them before, have you

you have to tell me if you have

Not one of those emails unfortunately, I was taking a dump and rummaged around my magazine rack and found an old Game Informer with Tiberium on it, the C&C FPS that was cancelled. I asked if there were any games that they saw pre-release that never saw the light of day that they thought looked cool or looked bad. Kind of a generic question I guess, but I was bored and wanted at least send an email if they're doing an all email Bombcast next week.

daydream

Banned
Not one of those emails unfortunately, I was taking a dump and rummaged around my magazine rack and found an old Game Informer with Tiberium on it, the C&C FPS that was cancelled. I asked if there were any games that they saw pre-release that never saw the light of day that they thought looked cool or looked bad. Kind of a generic question I guess, but I was bored and wanted at least send an email if they're doing an all email Bombcast next week.

Hm, Jeff has sporadically talked about seeing stuff like StarCraft: Ghost in a fairly advanced state, and he also owns a bunch weird pre-release versions of games, including a copy of (the cancelled) Combat 2 for the 2600, iirc.

I would love to hear a more detailed and collected account of that stuff, so I hope your question gets picked!

Hm, Jeff has sporadically talked about seeing stuff like StarCraft: Ghost in a fairly advanced state, and he also owns a bunch weird pre-release versions of games, including a copy of Combat 2 for the 2600, iirc.

I would love to hear a more detailed and collected account of that stuff, so I hope your question gets picked!

Yeah I thought it would be interesting to hear, I specifically asked if Dan would have any insight into it since the GI stories he used to work on would be happening months in advanced and surely there are some good cover stories that got dropped due to a game getting cancelled or something.

Aerobatics

Neo Member
"I'm bringing zero... back to nothing"

god I loved that part in msg4 for about 30 minutes then I realized it was actually the worst thing.

Draxyle

Neo Member
"I'm bringing zero... back to nothing"

god I loved that part in msg4 for about 30 minutes then I realized it was actually the worst thing.

That about sums up my entire experience with MGS4. I thought it was one of the most incredible experiences in videogaming when I first completed it.. until I actually stopped and thought about it on a deeper level. There's not much there to think about, and that's the problem.

justjim89

I to this day maintain that
Big Boss coming back
at the end of MGS4 was a fucking great moment. It's silly, it's unnecessary, and it does ruin the potential of what could have been an appropriate ending for Snake. But it's just a great WTF kinda moment. Of all people to tell Snake it's time to put aside the gun. It also makes the tale of Solidus that much more sad considering what his actual fate was.

But bringing Zero back and killing was kinda silly. Though it was quite something to see him rendered such an incontinent old man.

And Big Boss getting fucking brought back to life only to be killed by FoxDie was dumb. I'm not saying him and Snake should have gone and played catch, but he could have just walked off into the sunset since the whole series is effectively his story anyway.

They had that question fairly recently I think.

They had that question fairly recently I think.

Really? I might have missed that. I remember a similar question about how the Game Informer stories were done months in advance, I don't remember one specifically like mine but I could have forgotten or skipped that Bombcast.

I'll just send another email describing how I imagine the GB crew to look like lol.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I had the most fun with GZ a month or two after I first played it, fucking around with the side-missions.

Heh at the Mordor GOTY reaction. I can't wait to see the reaction when it wins Giantbombs game of the year.

I really don't think it will be. I mean I can see the possibility, but it seems like the game hasn't come up a single time since the first week or two that it was out. It just seems unlikely to me, with it never coming up.

Heh at the Mordor GOTY reaction. I can't wait to see the reaction when it wins Giantbombs game of the year.

As much as people seemed to like it, the guys have seemed to also really like stuff like CoD, Bayo 2, Farcry 4, and a few others. I have a feeling Patrick will argue for Bayonetta 2 on the ground that it's all around a more fantastic game, rather than Mordor which is heavily carried by the nemesis system (as seen by how poorly it was received on previous gen systems). Mordor has one system which raises to near goty status, but Bayo seems to be a fantastic game on almost all fronts. I don't see something like Farcry winning since it's so similar to 3.

This conversation is pointless though as Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution has goty in the bag.

Patryn

I really don't think it will be. I mean I can see the possibility, but it seems like the game hasn't come up a single time since the first week or two that it was out. It just seems unlikely to me, with it never coming up.

In my head, I think it's the second most likely game. From most likely to less likely of the top contenders I see it this way:

1.) Bayo 2
2.) Shadow of Mordor
3.) FarCry 4

Honestly, if it's not one of these three games I'd be really surprised. But I am known to be wrong.

Myggen

As much as people seemed to like it, the guys have seemed to also really like stuff like CoD, Bayo 2, Farcry 4, and a few others. I have a feeling Patrick will argue for Bayonetta 2 on the ground that it's all around a more fantastic game, rather than Mordor which is heavily carried by the nemesis system (as seen by how poorly it was received on previous gen systems). Mordor has one system which raises to near goty status, but Bayo seems to be a fantastic game on almost all fronts. I don't see something like Farcry winning since it's so similar to 3.

This conversation is pointless though as Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution has goty in the bag.

It was carried by the nemesis system, but the reason why it was received so poorly on the previous gen systems is largely because it performs like absolute shit. It seems to be one of the laziest ports out there, with fps on the PS3 version not even at a steady 20.

Also #TeamTharp

dMDdQOI.gif

I had an incredible time with Mordor but that was in spite of its campaign being middling. It's all of the other stuff it does that makes it so exceptional, and if Mordor 1 got so much right then Mordor 2 is going to be a monster.

I can't speak for Bayo2 as i haven't played it, but Mordor deserves some love for doing something completely different with open world games and raising the bar for what a good open world game should be. It's handling of stealth, combat, side quests, and the entirety of the nemesis system all pushed the genre forward, and when you go back and try to play an asscreed game in a post-mordor world it just feels rusty and outdated.

With Mordor, I just feel like if you're not into the Nemesis stuff that there is very little interesting to do in Mordor. It's an awesome concept and really well done, but it's mostly all that game has. Besides being bug free and working, which should probably give it GOTY alone.

I dunno about Patrick arguing for Bayonetta 2 for the big spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom